FORUMS: list search recent posts

My love/hate relationship with the retiming tool

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Sarafoski
My love/hate relationship with the retiming tool
on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:52:20 am

I love that you can press Command+R and drag the end of a clip to retime, but I absolutely HATE how I just can't select a bunch of clips and give them a value of 70%, seriously what's with that...!

Also I HATE how I have to change each individual clip to frame blending instead of being able to set this as a default setting.

In my eyes, this is the part the development team got wrong...!

Anyone else agree..?

Return to posts index

Erik Lundberg
Re: My love/hate relationship with the retiming tool
on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:37:42 am

[Tony Sarafoski] "I love that you can press Command+R and drag the end of a clip to retime, but I absolutely HATE how I just can't select a bunch of clips and give them a value of 70%, seriously what's with that...!

Also I HATE how I have to change each individual clip to frame blending instead of being able to set this as a default setting.

In my eyes, this is the part the development team got wrong...!

Anyone else agree..?
"

Absolutely. We need a lot more functionality in the timeline such as this. Such as copy/paste singled out attributes.

Erik Lundberg

Technical Director, Media Technology, University of Gothenburg, Sweden

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 26, 2012 at 2:55:53 pm

"[Tony Sarafoski]
In my eyes, this is the part the development team got wrong...!"

It's not about "getting wrong" so much as not implemented (yet).
Notice how maintaining the selected scopes have changed for example.

[Erik Lundberg] "Absolutely. We need a lot more functionality in the timeline such as this. Such as copy/paste singled out attributes."

My guess is that each attribute must become a relational cell in the data base and that's not done yet either.

Another example (speculative on my part) is how media management only deals with whole clips (no ability to use portions with handles). Given the metadata nature of the beast it's no long a matter of just splitting the clip. The metadata embedded in the clip must be copied to the new shortened clip. That's probably something they'll work on (again just my guess).

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Apr 26, 2012 at 7:25:12 pm

There are so many niggling things like this with retiming, the color color board, etc. They just needed to spend more time with it to make the actual operation of the program match it's potential.

It's not like a typical 1.0 release - they've been developing it as the FCP replacement for half a decade or so.
IMO, these constant "why can't I do these these obviously important things" simply reflect Apple's lack of focus on the day to day needs of current working professionals.

I like and use the program, but Apple needs and deserves the criticism. THis is basic editing 101 stuff and stuff that they used to provide. Perhaps it will move them to get a list of these obvious and egregious missing functions delivered.

There are a half a dozen, simple, critically missing elements to the Color Board alone that would make it a genuinely great tool - they just need to do their job and make it more than a potentially great NLE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]