FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX working off harddrive on multiple computers?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PeterSchley
FCPX working off harddrive on multiple computers?
on Apr 24, 2012 at 5:52:56 pm

I am a longtime FCP user. I also teach it at a University. We are currently deciding whether to switch to FCPX or to go to another program.
Our students mostly edit their FCP7 projects with all media saved onto an external harddrive which they use on multiple computers. Is this possible to do with FCPX? and if so, is it easy to do? This is a major concern for some students as they use the school labs computers to edit rather than their own. Some students use their own computers and also the schools. The mobile harddrive is a a must.

I would like to stay with FCP but need to know this will work.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: FCPX working off harddrive on multiple computers?
on Apr 24, 2012 at 6:01:48 pm

Yes, as long as all the projects and events are stored on the external drive you can move between multiple computers running FCPX.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Tony Sarafoski
on Apr 24, 2012 at 11:45:14 pm

Peter, this really depend on the workflow you use, DSLR or tape.

Being a freelance editor using FCPX, this is my personal workflow. If I'm asked to edit in-house, then I carry 2x WD My Passport FW 800 drives, which for me work flawless providing I optimise the media on import.

If for arguments sake your student can't afford external FW800 drives, and want to use a USB2 instead, they can, but they'll need to transcode and edit proxy's.

This is my DSLR Workflow:

• As we know first thing is first, have them transfer their SD cards to a dedicated backup HD.

• With 2x external HDD's connected, open FCPX

• In your Event Library, select drive 2 and create a new Event

• Then choose File/Import/Files or shortcut is Shift+Command+I

• Navigate to drive 1, select your rushes and before importing, select create optimized media if using FW800 drives, or create proxy media if using a USB2 drive.

• While the transcoding is being processed, the students can begin sorting their rushes in keyword collections, and skimming/trimming material

• Choosing to optimise your media does two things. First it allows for easier editing, and two FCPX transcodes these files in the Event which they'll be working in. This means if they then eject that HDD and take that home to edit, all they need to do is re-connect, open FCPX and begin editing. Do keep in mind that transcoding NEEDS TO BE FINISHED before they can eject their drive. Another thing to remember, make sure projects are being created on drive 2 and not drive 1.

I do this daily and have never experienced hiccups. Again I can;t stress how important ant it is that media is optimised before editing, and creating events/projects are done on the drive they'll need portable.

If on the other hand their shooting tape, then the approach is a tad different.

• First open FCPX and create a new Event

• Click on the camera tab, and begin capturing your tapes.

• This will capture directly to your event, which should be the portable HDD they'll be taking to and from university.

Tape workflow I found is a tad easier as you don't have to worry about transcoding, importing and so on. But regardless of your workflow, FCPX is very capable in handling what FCS offered and more IMHO.

Hope that helps...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
    on Apr 25, 2012 at 6:16:16 am

I"ve been editing with 5 hours of h264 1080p footage for the last week. It performs wonderfully on i7 imac. I don't transcode. I don't render either. With 10.0.4 performance has been increased. Try it without the transcoding. I mean, that's kinda 99% of the reason to use FCP X, isn't it? I could be doing this project on 7, but the 5 hours of footage to transcode was a turn off, so I figured X was the way to go. Hasn't crashed either.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
    on Apr 25, 2012 at 12:17:01 pm

If you find yourself working at the limits of your hardware, optimizing to ProRes is a good way to ease the burden. Also remember that FCPX lets you edit immediately with H.264 while it transcodes and relinks to ProRes transparently in the background. And that is true background processing, unlike rendering which waits for an idle mouse. It does cost significant storage space though.

Best,
    Andy

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
    on Apr 25, 2012 at 2:58:44 pm

We have not figured out a way to keep the render files from populating in the Movies folder on the local drive. Is there something we are missing in the newer version, or is this a manual process? Thank you

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
    on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:20:38 pm

I'll check my system for the render files. I assumed it went into the oroject filder which obviously needs to be on your external fast media drive. FCP doesnt manage render files like 7. So if you leave background render on, you'll fill up your drive pretty quick. In 7, it'll delete interferences render files when you quit or when the undo cache makes them obsolete if I remember right.

I only render specific items when I want/need them rendered. Just like in 7. In X press highlight the stuff to render and press ctrl+r. It'll still render in the "background." but only when and what you specify.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
    on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:22:17 pm

Render files live with the Project, so store your Project externally and the Render files will go with it.

Best,
    Andy

Return to posts index

alban egger
    on Apr 25, 2012 at 6:53:46 pm

Peter,
    as always the same questions: time, hardware, diskspace.

Here´s how FCPX works:
    - create the event on your mobile drive.
    - when you import and have nothing selected then FCPX will reference the footage where it came from. Fast, uses no additional diskspace.
    - there is always the option to "copy media into event" which simply will copy the original media into the event ("original media"). Same names, same size. And also an automatic backup!

- If your (older) machine can´t handle the codec: In that case it makes sense to transcode to Proxy or ProRes. In both cases FCPX will create new files within the event folder (in "transcoded media")

My workflow is to COPY. It is an automatic backup and I put the drive with the original media somewhere else.

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
    on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:27:18 pm

I created a new event on an external drive. Second step, I created a new project tied to the default event I just created and the event still saves on the local drive inside the movies folder/Final Cut Projects. The folder contains a render folder, CurrentVersion.fcpproject and backups. How do I stop this madness?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]