http://www.adobe.com/special/cs6/launch-event-desktop.html

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: CS^ Event Live Now
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:12:59 pm

Great opening remarks, there. Adobe is on the map.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:21:34 pm

If only I could watch it on my iPad!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:31:00 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Adobe is on the map."

I should clarify this.

Adobe is on the map for us FCP refugees. I don't want to take away their accomplishments in other areas.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:23:29 pm

Adobe guy: "idea is to get the clutter out of the way... But not disrupt the way our users are used to working..."

Apple doesnt follow that motto! :)

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:27:05 pm

You realize just how good Steve Jobs was when you watch others try to captivate an audience...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:37:39 pm

OT: Adobe is great. But this makes me realize why their stock has gone from 40 to 35 in the last 5 years. They are spending tons of cash developing ways to KEEP their users. Apple is busy creating ways to get NEW customers. And that's why they went from 86 to 644 in 5 years.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:00:41 pm

[Bret Williams] "OT: Adobe is great. But this makes me realize why their stock has gone from 40 to 35 in the last 5 years. They are spending tons of cash developing ways to KEEP their users. Apple is busy creating ways to get NEW customers. And that's why they went from 86 to 644 in 5 years."

Apple's massive growth has almost nothing to do with software aimed at creative professionals though. Unless you are suggesting Adobe become a hardware company that sells computers, tablets, and smarth phones bound together by a software ecosystem that delivers entertainment media and applications I don't see how the stock prices of both companies can be compared.

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:13:56 pm

Ummm, uh, Adobe, uh uh, ummm, C, umm uh, uh S umm uh...

This is why Toastmasters exists, to help hone your public speaking skills. One of the things you always have when you speak is someone acting as the umm/uh counter. Adobe, as a billion dollar company needs to send their team to Toastmasters or never do a live webcast again... painful.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:24:50 pm

I rather enjoyed the CEO comments.

And the demos show a very powerful suite of tools. It's really all that matters, to me anyway.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:28:59 pm

The demos were great - just painful to get to. I might have brought in a celeb such as Conan, who needs a new website, identity pkg. etc. and let him lead the path through all the demos instead of the fictional fashion site.

Fear of public speaking is one of the greatest fears known to man - other than the CEO, that fear was very apparent.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:28:34 pm

Its an off topic realization. I bought stock in both 5 years ago. I've realized over the years to not hope for the profits of an established company to increase unless they can somehow broaden their user/customer base.

Watching all the cool stuff from Adobe made me realize how Adobe is forced to lead or chase the pack at all times. Like Autodesk or Avid. They're all relying on the high end customer to buy their products. Adobe is spending a buttload to try and keep their customers, or get the few FCP converts that don't go Avid or Autodesk.

While at the same time Apple shook things up by creating a piece of software that was a completely different paradigm AND a completely different customer base and focus. at least for now. I'd say their focus is pretty much all Mac users that want to edit video AND some pro/high end. They probably are investing a small amount in FCP X compared to Adobe puts into JUST Premiere and Apple is focusing on a broader customer base where there really isn't any competition. Some of that base might just buy an iMac so they can use it.

And to top it all off, I'm typing this on my iPad while watching the stream from my iPhone mirrored on my AppleTV. Feeling pretty geeked out now....

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:01:41 pm

[Bret Williams] "While at the same time Apple shook things up by creating a piece of software that was a completely different paradigm AND a completely different customer base and focus. at least for now. I'd say their focus is pretty much all Mac users that want to edit video AND some pro/high end. They probably are investing a small amount in FCP X compared to Adobe puts into JUST Premiere and Apple is focusing on a broader customer base where there really isn't any competition. Some of that base might just buy an iMac so they can use it."

This is another example of Apple's advantage of being a hardware company at its core. Even if FCP X turned out to be an out-an-out failure on all levels it's really no skin off their nose because people will still buy their hardware to run Avid or Adobe products (assuming Apple keeps putting out 'pro level' hardware, but that's a whole 'nother thread).

When it comes down to brass tacks Apple doesn't care where you buy your movies, software, music, etc., as long as you buy their hardware (Heck, w/Bootcamp built in they even stopped caring if you ran OS X or not). Being a hardware company that can also make very compelling first part software & services puts Apple in a very unique position.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:38:05 pm

I agree. Being a stockholder and an FCP user can sometimes be at odds.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:37:05 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "You realize just how good Steve Jobs was when you watch others try to captivate an audience..."

Great comment Lance, agree with you 100%

Sohrab

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi & Adobe PPro

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 24, 2012 at 10:02:31 am

You realize just how good Steve Jobs was when you watch others try to captivate an audience...

Good is in the eye of the beholder. Some looked at Mr. Jobs on stage and saw equal parts of demagogary, egomania, snake oil, and visionary. And probably more of the first three than the last. For those folks the message was obscured by the messenger. I guess it depended on whether or not one drank his cool-aid.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 24, 2012 at 4:19:32 pm

[David Cherniack] "Good is in the eye of the beholder. Some looked at Mr. Jobs on stage and saw equal parts of demagogary, egomania, snake oil, and visionary. And probably more of the first three than the last. For those folks the message was obscured by the messenger. I guess it depended on whether or not one drank his cool-aid."

Whether or not you succumbed to Steve's RDF (Reality Distortion Field) I don't think you can disagree that he had a very high level showmanship and stage presence, especially for a CEO.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 24, 2012 at 11:29:44 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Whether or not you succumbed to Steve's RDF (Reality Distortion Field) I don't think you can disagree that he had a very high level showmanship and stage presence, especially for a CEO."

OTOH so did any garden variety demagogue and, not needing to stir the pot to a boiling frenzy, I won't bother to name those who had an even higher degree of stage presence than Mr. Jobs. Hint: they were CEOs of countries.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 25, 2012 at 12:31:43 am

[David Cherniack] "OTOH so did any garden variety demagogue and, not needing to stir the pot to a boiling frenzy, I won't bother to name those who had an even higher degree of stage presence than Mr. Jobs. Hint: they were CEOs of countries."
That's not really saying much, IMO. I mean, it's pretty easy to be captivating when you are a world leader and talking about important sh*t that matters. Now, being captivating while demoing an update to a box that will let you watch movies on your TV or using the word 'magical' to describe a tablet and keeping a straight face... That's a totally different breed. ;)

-Andrew

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 25, 2012 at 4:49:34 am

Now, being captivating while demoing an update to a box that will let you watch movies on your TV or using the word 'magical' to describe a tablet and keeping a straight face... That's a totally different breed. ;)

It's the same totemization of an idea whether it's a gadget or a political philosophy. In both cases the audience believes in magic. Which is more delusional? I couldn't judge.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:52:37 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "You realize just how good Steve Jobs was when you watch others try to captivate an audience..."

Indeed - there was not such a show man since PT Barnum and I say that in the very best of ways. That was one of Steve's innate strengths.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
New CS6 videos now live
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:41:15 pm

http://tv.adobe.com/

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]