FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm on the Cloud!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Bachelder
I'm on the Cloud!
on Apr 23, 2012 at 8:48:23 am

It's official - just $29 per month for current Adobe customers for the entire CS6 Master Collection? Done. Guess I'll be using Premiere CS6 more than I thought but after the NAB demos I couldn't resist.

Hope this new plan works Adobe :)

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: I'm on the Cloud!
on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:14:50 am

Oh yeah... it's not actually shipping yet, but I'm on the Cloud...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:32:53 am

[Lance Bachelder] "It's official - just $29 per month for current Adobe customers for the entire CS6 Master Collection? Done. Guess I'll be using Premiere CS6 more than I thought but after the NAB demos I couldn't resist."

36 euros in Euroland... Still not bad.

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:26:11 am

Hey,

perhaps one of the Adobe people who read these forums can answer this as the shine has been taken off my anticipation.

For a cloud based service, which I guess circumnavigates geographical location, why are we in the UK being charged £27.34 pm (as a current user on a year sub) for something the Americans are being charged £18.01 for?

And although I get you may need to add VAT on there (do America not charge a VAT tax) why are we being charged VAT at 23% (it's 20% over here at the moment) and the VAT is still only a fiver so why isn't the monthly deal subscription £23 a month?

Even worse the Europeans have to pay £29.40.

It does kind of take the shine off something when we seem to get charged more for the same service, especially one that is delivered via the cloud. Why can't we get the same deal as North Americans?

Ta

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:19:23 am

It's kind of like that bottle of Bordeaux I get for a lot cheaper when I'm in France, than buying it here. :)

US has no VAT, but each state (save a few) have an additional state tax that may or may not get applied to an online purchase. Online tax is a big debate right now as each state looks to add to their dwindling budgets. Where I live in Massachusetts it's an additional 6.25% that can be added to the advertised price. For those interested in a state by state review, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

;)

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:29:34 am

haha, everything seems cheaper than buying it here. Unless you're in Scandinavia when they do seem a tad more expensive than here.

The no VAT thing in America makes a little sense of the price difference then, thanks for the info (lucky Americans... 20% stings) but we're still £4 a month worse off. And really it isn't so much the money as the principle. I get kind of tired of organisations seeming to think we're minted over here and charging more, especially as we keep getting told we live in a global village :)

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Apr 24, 2012 at 7:10:59 pm

[Jules bowman] "(lucky Americans... 20% stings)"

I hope people in the U.S. listen to that; there's a growing group of folks who'd like to give the government more control over our lives and fund it with a VAT here, too. But THAT is also for another thread (and site, I imagine...)

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 24, 2012 at 7:21:02 pm

Damn, I'm all for Government intervention in countries (their own that is, not other people's). The Neo-Liberal hands-off-the-markets/masters-of-the-universe approach got us into a bit of a global pickle... and one which really can't be denied... well, not reasonably and in a manner which won't derive guffaws from the sane if attempted.

Please all know that my intention wasn't to justify a cry for smaller Government at all when talking about VAT.

Personally, more regulation and nationalise everything Thatcher and Reagan privatised would be a blinding start.

And more tax at the top... in fact just getting them to pay their due tax amounts would be a start.

And no tax havens. Earn a dollar, pay tax on a dollar (change dollar for Pound/Euro/etc. as relevant)

And Less wars. And less spending on arms. In fact just ban war, it doesn't make that many people smile. Apparently it's good for absolutely nothing, so why we still at it? Surely between 6 billion + people there's enough smart cookies to realise it is utter folly (and rather mean).

And people who need a hand or help aren't all scroungers to be cast into the pits of urban ghettoism. Remember all, there but for the grace of Gaia go you... so, allow it!

Ta.

ps: Adobe, would still like my £40 though. Many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 24, 2012 at 7:50:10 pm

Uh oh, I think I agree with you on something.

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 24, 2012 at 7:52:43 pm

haha, statistically we had to agree on something at some point. Glad it was something of real substance leaving us more than enough scope to bicker about far less important things, like my toy box being better than yours, etc.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 24, 2012 at 7:21:23 pm

[Chris Conlee] "But THAT is also for another thread (and site, I imagine...)"

Yes to another site. :-)

I came to this a little late, but for everyone on the thread....and the COW...please veer away from explicitly political stuff, regardless of its place on the spectrum. Between all of us at the COW, we cover it all, from one extreme to the other. I assure you that we are equal-opportunity take it elsewhere-ers.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:11:32 am

How did you get the $29 price?

I click on the special price link, but it appears to be broken.

If I add to cart, it seems like I can only get the $49 price.

The offer details link seems to be broken too.

Did you enter a promo code to get that price?

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:16:03 am

Under the link for the $49 there was another link which said * current customers or some such

i clicked that and then logged into the adobe account and it new i had CS4 and offered the £27/mo option ($29 if you're in N.America!!!!!)

Hope that helps

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:19:01 am

That's the link that seems to be broken.

Perhaps too many hits to the site?

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:27:15 am

you are correct, it is now down here too. Was fine about an hour ago. I'm sure it'll get sorted at some point but that is the link you need :)

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Creative Cloud Pros
on Apr 23, 2012 at 12:20:48 pm

All the tax talk on this thread had me thinking- Adobe has offered us a way to separate the pros from the amateurs. If you can write off the cost of your monthly Creative Cloud membership, you are a pro!

(Common practice in the US, not sure about our international friends' tax codes.)

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
Re: Creative Cloud Pros
on Apr 23, 2012 at 1:05:26 pm

Sure, it is tax deductible but I'd still rather have £40 in my pocket in cold hard disposable cash. Plus the deductible is still only for the tax rate I pay rather than the tax man giving it all back to me.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Apr 23, 2012 at 1:28:01 pm

[Jules bowman] "Sure, it is tax deductible but I'd still rather have £40 in my pocket in cold hard disposable cash. Plus the deductible is still only for the tax rate I pay rather than the tax man giving it all back to me."

Well, yeah, we'd all rather have the cash. In the US, if you are incorporated, and depending on how you keep your books, you can "get it all back*".

*DISCLAIMER: I am not a tax attorney or certified public accountant (or any kind of accountant), consult a qualified professional for actionable advice on tax matters. You will know who is a professional by the accounting software they use. ;-)

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 1:31:06 pm

:)

yes, i believe that can be done here too, but i'm a bit left leaning and so I just do my accounts without finding loop holes. Not saying others shouldn't, friends have registered as a companies and take dividends and pay little to no tax, but i'm quite happy contributing to the social pot.

Dear Adobe, still want my £40 though. Ta!

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:04:55 pm

As a US guy, I really have NO exposure to different pricing outside of the US and am very uninformed about it. However, I will add to one thing here and hazard a guess on the other...

1 - $29 is an introductory offer to existing users as an incentive to go with a subscription. My understanding (again possibly flawed) is that the $29 is ongoing until you decide to turn it off. At that point, whatever the going rate is ($49, $69 whatever depending on what you have) would be what you get going forward from there. In other words, we're trying to give everyone a very sweetheart deal but once you do, I think you want to stay with it otherwise the price will go up. Even at $49.00 per month, that's basically $600 per year, that's a lot less than a shrinkwrap copy - more so when you consider that we will have a new version every year. The value of it is pretty cool and you get access to web and design tools which if you need once a year, are great to dip into and have.

2 - pricing around the world: I really have no idea but the VAT is definitely a big part of it. If I were to guess at the other $4 per month (or whatever it is), then I would say that it is due to exchange rates and Adobe maintaining offices and distribution points around the world. I know it stinks but it works the same way around the world. I understand I can get a Mercedes-Benz a lot cheaper in Germany than in the US - go figure. ;-)

Again as a disclaimer - I know nothing of Adobe finance, world finance rules or any such thing. Just trying to offer up a possible explanation.

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:12:01 pm

1- indeed it is, in fact i believe it is only for year one and if you already own CS3 or above.

2- that'll probably be the reason all companies give, I accept them, but if we had a truth ray that when zapped at people made them tell the truth, I do believe that companies see UK and just whack a little on because everyone seems to do that. Even our own government think we're an endless source of disposable income :) Currency conversions can't, surely, be £4.

Anyway, I know i'm whining at a brick wall as nothing will come of it and i'm still going to get it because you have the product I want so what am I going to do. but as i said before, it's less about the money and more about wanting to feel like we're getting the same treatment the world over, which at the moment it just doesn't.

Still, it really isn't going to stop me :) Am quite looking forward to spending a couple of weeks with my head inside PP as well as exploring some of the other apps i've not done so before.

And yes, £27 pm for a year is still very nice of Adobe given it is £50 pm for a year normally, so the discount because I bought CS4 is appreciated.

Just love us like you love the North Americans!!! :)

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:42:12 pm

Jules is right, it's not the currency conversion. In fact, due to the massive devaluing of the dollar, that would push the price down oversees. But this isn't a typical 'product' as it exists entirely as 1s and 0s. In addition to the VAT, there may be import fees on these kinds of things that only a few even know about. Or... Adobe likes us better because we're awesome.

I kid! I kid! :)

Here's a question, though. Is the subscription option more secure? We all know that the cost of theft is built into the price for those who pay, so if this new option solves that problem, is that why it's so dang cheap??

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:04:59 pm

[Jules bowman] "Even our own government think we're an endless source of disposable income :) "

And that, Jules, is the point of my earlier little diatribe: I'm never against contributing to social welfare on some level, simply prove to me you're spending my money wisely before asking for more. And now back to our regularly scheduled programming... ;-)

Return to posts index

Martti Ekstrand
on Apr 24, 2012 at 6:37:41 am

[Dennis Radeke] "I understand I can get a Mercedes-Benz a lot cheaper in Germany than in the US - go figure. ;-)"

Well, that's because that M-B is a huge hunk of steel, leather and plastic that needs to be shipped over the pond. For a downloaded product it doesn't make sense at all.

Most application makers I'm buying from have a very similar pricing across the globe for downloads with Adobe being a beacon of darkness in this regard. Don't try to put the blame on various VAT rates as here in Sweden the production bundle is roughly 60% more expensive before the VAT is added. When the 50% FCP switcher rebate was going on it made the cost of purchase here about the same as the US normal price. I know of several friends who buys pre-paid US credit cards to get around this.

So Adobe's international pricing for downloads is ass-inine, plain and simple.

Return to posts index

Tim Taylor
on Apr 25, 2012 at 12:49:09 pm

From "Terms & Conditions."
...This offer is not available to education, OEM, or volume licensing customers. Residents of embargoed countries are not eligible. Membership is billed each month for the duration of the one-year commitment. Your credit card will be charged at an introductory rate of US$29.99 plus any applicable sales tax each month for the first 12 months. After the first 12 months, you will be charged at the standard rate, which is currently US$49.99 plus any applicable sales tax and is subject to change.

Tim Taylor, Producer/Editor
RESolution Media Services, LLC

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:41:47 pm

I had a project a project six months ago that required Photoshop.

(I used it for about a decade, then didn't have on-going needs, so I let my ownership lapse.)

Rather than plunking down hundreds for a program I use infrequently, I used Adobe's then nacient cloud "subscription" service.

It worked fine.

But I realized that like all other rental agreements, it only made actual economic sense if I was an infrequent user of the item being rented. A few short years of rental payments was the equivalent of buying it. And after 10 years (the term I used Photoshop for in the 1990s, the cost of rentals would have far, far outstripped the cost of purchase plus upgrades.

The vendor makes a whole lot more money over time - while saving a huge amount on the costs of production and distribution.

That's essentially the App store model. But in the app store, the prices are substantially low to address this new distribution reality. I believe that's a large part of why FCP-X is only $299. It's still wildly profitably at that price since the bulk of the distribution costs have vanished.

Eventually I simply bought Pixelmator via the App store which does about 75% of the core functions of PS but costs only 3 months the rental price - takes up less code space, is more modern, and loads and runs faster for me.

It's absolutely NOT as full featured, and certainly not as "standard" as PS. So there are plenty of arguments against this path. But the point is that "Apps in the cloud" are inarguably convenient - but I don't believe they represent a very good deal overall as subscriptions - only as a distribution medium.

YMMV.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:12:47 pm

One thing to keep in mind is the apparent change in upgrade path for Adobe. Dennis might speak to that in more detail.

At one time you could sit out several versions between upgrades. It's not uncommon for some people to upgrade every other version. I believe Adobe might be changing that policy so that upgrade discounts are only available for the previous version. For some, when you factor in that you have to pay for every upgrade or full price (or near full price) for skipping a version, the price difference between owning and subscribing decreases.

Again Dennis might want to speak to that since it hasn't been mentioned in the forum that I know of.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:20:45 pm

Craig,

That makes sense.

Look, Adobe has valuable products. I don't begrudge them for one second looking for ways to generate a revenue stream that supports their operations as a developer of useful software.

And for many users, this subscription service will be an extremely useful way to insure that they always have the most up to date and current software products to learn and work with.

It's a change in emphasis from an ecosystem of support for ownership - to a "lease to use" model.

Both are fair. Both have value. The user gets to choose.

No harm, no foul as far as I can see.

Simple as that.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:38:07 pm

The Cloud service 50% discount is for all users going back to CS3 - Adobe has never been this generous before. Which is why I've already joined - whether I use Premiere or not, it's a huge bargain plus 20GB of storage and hosting for up to 5 domains. I hope this is a viable business model for Adobe, it's certainly less expensive for me as a user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:43:37 pm

As pointed out elsewhere in one these threads today, someone made reference to Adobe's stock price. Adobe has had some financial issues of late. Adobe tends to think creatively as a business though (unlike another company that I've talked about financially).

Many software companies have a pattern where they get a big bump when a product comes out and then a rapid decline throughout until the next major paid release. By aggressively promoting a subscription model they get steady cash flow and, as some have noted, may well get the same or more income from the individual customer had they purchased up front. So basically it can be same cash (or more) more evenly spread out plus the opportunity to grab "seasonal" users who might opt for buying less expensive products otherwise. This is a good example of how a company looks at their business model and adjusts to improve their financial circumstance.

It's an interesting contrast with the issues the MacAppStore has created for developers. The AppStore has no upgrades as a rule. The result is that new version are full paid. That doesn't make for a happy customer base when that happens. Tangentially I'd note that Photoshop Elements Editor and Premiere Elements are available in the MacAppStore.

Adobe Revel (formerly Carousel) is in the App Store as Free but after 30 days you'd have to continue with a subscription. So in that case, Adobe has implemented subscription through the App Store as well. Given that, I can see the AppStore subscription model as more viable as well given there's no upgrade option at all.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:08:36 pm

Also, since the price now apparently includes ALL the Adobe titles, I can finally dig into Dreamweaver and update that decade old website. Plus, another benefit that doesn't get mentioned much, is that you can use the PC version AND the Mac versions of each package. Adobe's current licensing for boxed versions is for one or the other.

Chris

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:05:20 pm

Instead of spending £1800 every 2 years for the master collection I can spend around £900 every 2 years for the same suite of products, 4 of which I use regularly, 4 others I use now and then and a handful of others will replace apple equivalents over the coming year or just want to have a play with.

Even if I skip a major upgrade I have still got 4 years of sub before I hit the cost of the physical version. Plus any new apps will be thrown in I'm sure and the speed of change may get quicker in terms of the value of an upgrade.

I like physical products. I still by vinyl. But this subscription service is a no brainer and I don't see how our van compare it to the app store and FC10 at $300. That is one product and FC11 will be another $300 or whatever. Master collection is how many? Well at least 10 I will use to one degree or another. And my outlay is still only £450 ( or less) a year. It is £50 a month at most. That's a tank of petrol. 3 bits of vinyl. A couple of meals out for 2. And it is tax deductible. But more than all that it gives an extensive range of top quality software that is more than anyone can need or use.

Sure, if all you do is mess around with video and pop things on the web then you don't need a range of software and perhaps you don't need to upgrade for 6 years and then buying apps from the app store makes sense. But even I, in my limited mostly one man band set up, uses a lot of different software. Personally i think Adobes sub kicks apple's app store offer across the park and back again and can't see any valid argument against that unless all you need is one app over 4 years.

Plus PP has tracks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:48:43 pm

[Jules bowman] "Personally i think Adobes sub kicks apple's app store offer across the park and back again "

Adobe Revel (formerly Carousel) is in the App Store. It's free download and then $5.99 a month after 30 days. While the App Store doesn't support upgrades it does support Subscriptions.

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:51:06 pm

I think you missed the meaning of that sentence.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:55:10 pm

[Jules bowman] "I think you missed the meaning of that sentence."

If it's about subscription models the App Store offers one although not for any Apple products yet.
The sentence was about Adobe's subscription model vs the App Store as far as I can tell but the App Store (not FCPX) offers a subscription model and Adobe themselves are using it there as well.

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:58:22 pm

Nope, it was that Adobe's subscription offer, costing £450 per year for almost two dozen top quality apps that more than cover all bases is better than Apple selling FC10, Motion 4 and Compressor 5 for £300 all in, until the next version is made for sale.

it was in response to Doomsayer Bill who can't even pay someone other than Apple a compliment without it sounding like the end of the world is nigh round his way.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 8:17:29 pm

[Jules bowman] "is better than Apple selling FC10, Motion 4 and Compressor 5 for £300 all in, until the next version is made for sale."

That's an assumption. There's nothing indicating that Apple will charge for anything. There's not even a substantial rumor on that. For all we know FCPX is $299 for life. For all we know Apple will institute a subscription version since it's their rules that allows subscriptions in the AppStore (which Adobe uses).

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 8:23:30 pm

FFS. Fine. It is an assumption that FC11 will be charged for. but hey, i've learnt from the best because you assume left right and centre mate, not least of all that FC10 will be great at some undetermined point in the future because you know, Apple rock dude.

Still, it's an assumption that hold far more weight than Apple never charging for any future versions of FC. You're the Apple watcher mate, they do that often do they? Stick out software and just upgrade it for free ad infinitum?

You'd pick a hole in a dying nun's faith you would.

Whatever, my point is still valid that I believe Adobes current subscription service with all that it offers for the relatively small outlay in terms of a professional business makes Apple's offer pale into insignificance. And again, it was in reply to Bill's doom-mongering.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 8:31:10 pm

[Jules bowman] "you assume left right and centre mate"

But when something's an assumption I state that it's an assumption. I don't state assumption as fact.

[Jules bowman] "Still, it's an assumption that hold far more weight than Apple never charging for any future versions of FC."

Can you point to a single case where Apple has charged for a version change in the App Store?
There's no weight of history behind it.
I'd expect they'll charge another $29 for Mountain Lion but that's an extremely low price for an OS update and I started with "I'd expect . . ." so it's clear that it's my expectation and not a fact.

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 8:34:04 pm

No no, I believe in God I do believe in God my doubts, my doubts, they aren't doubts they are the Devil challenging me making me try and falter and stop believing in the Lord all mighty but I do believe in Him I do... despite all the empirical evidence to the contrary.

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Apr 24, 2012 at 7:02:07 am

[Jules bowman] "FFS. Fine. It is an assumption that FC11 will be charged for. but hey, i've learnt from the best because you assume left right and centre mate, not least of all that FC10 will be great at some undetermined point in the future because you know, Apple rock dude.

Still, it's an assumption that hold far more weight than Apple never charging for any future versions of FC. You're the Apple watcher mate, they do that often do they? Stick out software and just upgrade it for free ad infinitum?

You'd pick a hole in a dying nun's faith you would.

Whatever, my point is still valid that I believe Adobes current subscription service with all that it offers for the relatively small outlay in terms of a professional business makes Apple's offer pale into insignificance. And again, it was in reply to Bill's doom-mongering."

Jules that was very funny. I was in tears. Thank you.

BTW it's $63 a month downunder...ex 10% GST (inc if you pre order)

The current exchange rate: $1 Australian = $1.03 US.

Go figure?

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:23:30 am

Is that price including the current owner discount we've all been taking into consideration? If so that's horrific for you and you win the 'country most screwed' award. Though I've a feeling that may not include that.

There are currently three different price ranges I believe.

£29 pm if you pay a year upfront and have CS3+
£45 pm if you pay a year upfront
£75 pm if you pay monthly

Here's hoping you just picked a different price plan. I would find it hard to believe you'd be paying double.

And ta.

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Apr 25, 2012 at 2:25:53 am

[Jules bowman] "Is that price including the current owner discount we've all been taking into consideration?"

No. $38 a month for the first year. $63 a month from then on.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 27, 2012 at 10:06:57 pm

[Jules bowman] "Apple's offer pale into insignificance"

Accountancy is quite stacking up: $299 depreciated over 60 months is $4.98/month.

I'm all in favor of buying the product you want, for the price the market will bear, but that's a different scenario than trying to justify a business decision solely on the cash.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 23, 2012 at 8:20:52 pm

I got you the first time and totally agree. I hope this subscription model proves viable - it was certainly less expensive than buying outright and I get app's I might not have paid for including soon to be added Lightroom.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Apr 27, 2012 at 10:10:36 pm

How do you know Lightroom will (or soon to be) included?

I hadn't seen that.

Lightroom was one of the few apps that was never in a suite. I thought.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:01:10 am

[Jules bowman] "Doomsayer Bill"

Tres Cool!

I haven't had an official nickname since my post college roommate (a US Marine ex embassy guard) insisted on giving me one. Go figure.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:11:50 pm

[Jules bowman] "And my outlay is still only £450 ( or less) a year. It is £50 a month at most. That's a tank of petrol. 3 bits of vinyl. A couple of meals out for 2. And it is tax deductible. But more than all that it gives an extensive range of top quality software that is more than anyone can need or use."

Exactly it's a fantastic idea, even at our usually inflated UK price it's still a no-brainer. Just ordered mine

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:55:41 pm

wait - that's how it works out? 900 quid vs 1800 over the equivalent period?

I'm literally getting ready to do the upgrade hopscotch to 5.5 production premium before may 7th, but if this holds true, then I'm better going sub right?
there's some app authoring stuff in there outside the production suite that I could conceivably be interested in too?

Also, to be fair: lightroom I have been meaning to settle into for years.
In theory, I'm actually supposed to have a photography degree.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:59:49 pm

check the specific amounts but I believe we'll be paying around £45 a month if we pay for a year upfront... it's around £75 if you do it monthly.

BUT, as CS3+ owners we can have the first year at £27 a month so even better.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:08:11 pm

I suppose I did know the numbers, I just hadn't really put the lease versus buy figures together?
also there's the fact ye mention that the lease includes every last pipe of the adobe kitchen sink.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:59:59 pm

[Jules bowman] "valid argument against that unless all you need is one app over 4 years."

Bit of accounting:

US Tax law let's us depreciate software purchases over 5 years. $1800 / 60 months is $30/month. This is deducted against gross revenue.

$50/month is more than that ($3,000).

This calculation by the way has nothing to do with FCPX. This is a simple analysis of whether you should buy the software or rent the software, from a monthly cash flow point of view over 60 months.

From Adobe's pov, it's a great business model because more people will come up with the monthly fee than will come up with the purchase price.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:59:08 pm

[Bill Davis] "I believe that's a large part of why FCP-X is only $299. It's still wildly profitably at that price since the bulk of the distribution costs have vanished."
Is it? Or is it just profitable enough because you have to own a Mac running at least 10.6.8 to use it? After all, Apple is a hardware company at heart. I know there are costs w/making a disc, packaging and shipping but I can't imagine that aspect of it for a business the size of Apple is all that much.

I mean isn't that along the same lines as saying a Hollywood blockbuster should be significantly less expensive to make as long it's sold only as a download/stream and not as DVD & Blu-ray?

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 24, 2012 at 12:04:39 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Is it? Or is it just profitable enough because you have to own a Mac running at least 10.6.8 to use it? After all, Apple is a hardware company at heart. I know there are costs w/making a disc, packaging and shipping but I can't imagine that aspect of it for a business the size of Apple is all that much."

The reason the app store model enables lower pricing isn't so much that it reduces distribution costs, but that it increases volume.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Magda Fernandez
on Apr 24, 2012 at 12:23:06 am

Will the Cloud video apps be updated frequently within the subscription year? What if those Cloud upgrades have bugs and are incompatible with my setup? Would I be forced to use the upgraded versions? I'm usually pretty cautious about upgrades and tend to wait until more courageous types sniff out the bugs. Sometimes I don't upgrade and stay put.

What level of dsl connectivity is required for a stutter-free Cloud access?

Will there be an educational discount for Creative Cloud? I ask because I work at a university.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 24, 2012 at 1:13:37 am

[Magda Fernandez] "Will the Cloud video apps be updated frequently within the subscription year? What if those Cloud upgrades have bugs and are incompatible with my setup? Would I be forced to use the upgraded versions? I'm usually pretty cautious about upgrades and tend to wait until more courageous types sniff out the bugs. Sometimes I don't upgrade and stay put.

What level of dsl connectivity is required for a stutter-free Cloud access? "

"Creative Cloud" is a horribly misleading name for this; Adobe is just jumping on the buzzword bandwagon. Apps you get through Creative Cloud are still downloaded and installed locally. Once they're installed you actually don't need Internet access at all (except to check in with the license servers every 30 days). Because apps are still just running on your computer, I'd imagine you'd have the option to not install updates the same way you do now.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Magda Fernandez
on Apr 24, 2012 at 4:40:23 am

Thanks for explaining, Chris. I agree with you that calling this service "Cloud" is confusing if the apps still reside in our computers. Maybe the Adobe Mad Men should have called it "Creative Subscription."

Regardless, I'm considering either CS6 or Smoke 2013 for my studio workstation. I still use FCP legacy on a 1st gen MacPro and rely heavily on Shake since 99% of my work is composited. One idea is to migrate to CS6 this year and see if Autodesk reduces the price of Smoke even more in a year or two.

But, like many here, I'm waiting to see if Apple releases a new MacPro/iMacPro/MacMiniPro/etc. first before I choose my next NLE.

http://www.magdafernandez.com

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 24, 2012 at 10:35:45 am

I may be wrong but I believe the Cloud part comes from the fact that subscribers get 20gb of 'cloud' space to utilise with their software. So you can upload files and, at least from the snippets I have seen in videos, with Photoshop for example if you make changes on the go they will automatically upload to the cloud and be there for you when you get back to a desktop, for example.

Obviously the software wouldn't be used form the cloud, that would be just stupid (especially given Virgin Media's proclivity to not fixing our local broadband cabinet very well) but obviously we are all excited about the software side of it because, well, that's what we use and the software is downloadable rather than buying a physical copy, when you get the Creative Cloud service.

I don't know for sure but I would hazard a guess that if you bought the physical version you still get to use the cloud service and there are other versions of the cloud service (again I believe) that you can use/sub without buying all the software too.

Basically Creative Cloud is a 'cloud' service but you can download your software too. Then it all integrates across the board.

Return to posts index

gary Tompkins
on Apr 24, 2012 at 11:35:26 pm

I just checked and the $29 price (US) is an introductory price for the first year only, it goes up to $49 after that.

Question, I have a DSL connection and on a GOOD day I can get 170K download speeds and normally 70-120K, any way to get installation discs for someone in my situation instead of spending days to download only to have it interrupted and have to start over? I couldn't find any info on this at their web site.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]