FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Monitoring - Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Maitland
External Monitoring - Question
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:06:50 am

Hi all

Has anyone successfully run FCP-X on an external "client" monitor without tremendous degradation to the picture?

I'm running on a 12-Core Mac Pro with a single 27" Cinema display, AJA Kona LHi card and am using a Panasonic TH-58PF20UK for my client monitor. I've followed AJA's recommended setup for FCP-X, as well as updated my Kona drivers and, while I can see video by "monitoring" the Mac desktop via the AJA control panel, the picture on the Panasonic plasma is tearing, jumping on edit-points and just generally looking like crap.

While I can't see a way around not being able to generate EDLs for final color correction and online (and thus rendering FCP-X unusable to me for the time being) I'm determined none the less to give it a fair trial on some non-broadcast projects to put it through its paces, though I'm seriously hamstrung by this monitoring problem.

Thank you in advance for help/advice you may be able to offer!

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
Re: External Monitoring - Question
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:11:22 am

Ditto!

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:23:19 am

The document provided by AJA tries to make it clear that this beta drive only provides a video monitoring solution at preview quality.
http://www.aja.com/pdf/FCP_X_and_AJA.pdf

If you are comparing the video output quality of the KONA X Beta driver when used with Final Cut Pro X to the video output quality produced by the typical KONA drivers when used with a previous version of Final Cut Pro, it will not look comparable; this is part of why AJA has denoted this release as a public beta driver. At this time, the KONA X Beta driver is what can be provided for video output preview monitoring when using Final Cut Pro X. If you use the AJA TV application or AJA VTR Xchange applications to review QuickTime Movies, you will note the same high quality video output you have been accustomed to when monitoring with the AJA video output. The way you interact with third party tools, like the AJA KONA cards, is different from the previous versions of Final Cut Pro when using Final Cut Pro X, and this preview video quality is what can be provided at this time.

As Apple's Final Cut Pro X continues to evolve, you can expect AJA to provide new interactions with the software and continuing, improved support.

If you have additional question, please feel free to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email between 9am and 5pm PST.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:33:22 am

Maybe look at the refresh rate for that second desktop?

If you have a 24p timeline see if there's a 48hz refresh rate for that monitor/desktop, and if it's a 29.97 timeline then maybe 60hz?

Its the timebases of the Mac desktop output not jiving with what the AJA has to convert it to to make an SDI out. Closer they are the better, I'd think.

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:37:56 am

[Nate Weaver] "Its the timebases of the Mac desktop output not jiving with what the AJA has to convert it to to make an SDI out. Closer they are the better, I'd think."

My guess is that what's going on with all of this is that AVFramework (Apple's new QuickTime replacement) doesn't quite support video I/O yet. I assume they're working on this. In fact, I wouldn't be stunned to learn it worked in Lion. (But I also wouldn't be stunned to see it take them six months.)

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:20:11 am

Why not buy a $2.50 DVI to HDMI adapter at Home Depot (they were on clearance recently) and hook up your second Mac monitor to tv. Is that what X is allowing? For exampl even iMovie has the option to move the canvas (they call it viewer) to the 2nd desktop. I hook it up to my HDTV and I have a neArly perfect output as long as it's progressive. Apple even recognizes the HDTV in monitor setup and adjusts gamma accordingly.

If X only allows single monitor, I guess mirror and then go into full screen mode for clients.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:03:08 am

The AJA KONA X Beta drivers provide the following benefits when working with Final Cut Pro X:
- the ability to ingest and output to tape using AJA VTR Xchange since Final Cut Pro X does not include Log and Capture or Edit to Tape
- the ability to connect to video inputs and outputs commonly used on professional video devices: SDI, HDMI and component analog
- only one device is needed for the audio/video preview quality monitoring provided by the KONA X Beta driver (by comparison a DVI or Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter only provides video preview; to route audio, a separate audio connection would need to be made from the computer output whereas the KONA will route audio via SDI embedded, HDMI embedded or analog audio output simultaneously)
- AJA KONA products can still be used for full quality monitoring via the AJA TV and AJA VTR Xchange applications

If you already own a KONA 3G, KONA LHi or KONA 3, the KONA X Beta drivers provide a starting point for interacting with Final Cut Pro X. As Apple's Final Cut Pro X continues to evolve, expect AJA to provide additional interactions with the software.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]