on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:00:40 am

Some good info here.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_first_look_martin.html

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Steve Martin's first look
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:39:55 am

Thats really a great piece...

Its too bad the way the rollout of this product has been handled by Apple. They should have waited until key "pro" features were implemented, and had a very public beta with large groups of real editors who work on different types of programs. They needed much more feedback from users...and users needed to know more about the thinking behind this new product. Its really fundamentally different. Unfortunately, thats not how Apple rolls...they only do top secret.

After reading this article, I see much to be excited about. There is some real revolutionary thinking in FCP X. They were really brave about throwing the book away on established NLE workflow. In many ways FCP (7 and under) and Premiere Pro are based on the "established" Avid way of doing things. FCP X, for better or for worse, is inventing an entirely new way to think about and interact with an NLE. I'm really intrigued by a lot of it.

Sadly, Apple has burned a lot of bridges with this release and I doubt many here will put the time into learning the new paradigm....we'll all just jump ship to Adobe or Avid...because it works and its familiar. Myself included, possibly. But if I do jump ship, I will always wonder what could have been...

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:46:18 am

[John Pale] "Apple has burned a lot of bridges with this release"

Honestly, I've seen a lot of Apple-related Internet firestorms over the years, and the long-term damage rarely amounts to much. Assuming Apple plugs some of the workflow holes over the next 12 months... most editors/facilities weren't going to upgrade to such a radical new release in the first 12 months anyway, so shipping the 1.0 without these features won't have made much difference.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Paul Nordin
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:03:26 am

>> most editors/facilities weren't going to upgrade to such a radical new release in the first 12 months anyway

Well Apple made sure of that today. We don't even have a choice about it. We'll see what will come, or not.

Emeryville, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]