FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple probably needs to do some damage control, Now.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clayton Burkhart
Apple probably needs to do some damage control, Now.
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:49:53 am

Ok, given the near universal negative response to this release across a broad spectrum of forums out there, I really think that Apple needs to do some damage control, NOW.

This post really isn't about me or my satisfaction at all. I can go on using what I always have. I have nowhere near the talent and expertise of so many seasoned pros here, but I have seen one or two situations like this before in my time and this is what I see: If Apple was a Hollywood star, their PR firm would definitely be all over this, trying to formulate a damage control plan.

It really would be wise for them to make some kind of semi-official announcement basically saying, we know that we kinda blew it, BUT, we are listening to YOU the professionals.

I can understand the silence leading up to the release, but now that it is out there, continued silence probably wouldn't be the right move.

They likely need to say to the professional, we recognize the shortcomings you have pointed out, you matter to us and we will try to move this forward in a more transparent way. We are listening, we still believe in the quality of our new product, and we will provide you with a product that fulfills your needs.

Real damage control always acknowledges the reality and the mistake. Everyone, including corporations make mistakes, but respect is always actually gained when the party involved takes immediate and open responsibility for it.

And then, LISTENING. They definitely need to show that they are listening.

Hold another town meeting, make a questionaire, convene a panel of experts, whatever. The point is ASK people what they really want.

It is the only way I think they can turn this around, otherwise I am see a serious migration away from Apple. The signs of open disdain and heading for the exits were already there, but I am not witnessing a slow shuffle away this evening, I am watching a virtual stampede.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
Re: Apple probably needs to do some damage control, Now.
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:56:48 am

I dont think there care much for the "professional" Consumer, there targeting Moms and grandmas, I just dont understand, why? This was there chance to show the world "Hey World! See Final Cut Can be used in a professional work environment! There is a alternative to Avid!" But they didnt And Im really sad and scared that they didnt. If I ever wanna own a house One day Im gonna have to abandon Final cut and focus on Avid.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:39:44 am

Full disclosure, I'm an Avid guy. But I own and use FCP when I have to. I also own Adobe CS5.5 and use it when I have to (which is even less often than I have to use FCP).

I'll purchase FCP X, because it looks like fun. But they definitely are NOT catering to a pro market with this release.

If you look to Avid, realize that it's probably an even bigger learning curve than going to FCP X, but the tools are there to get the job (any job) done at least. Don't try to make Avid like FCP, but learn why Avid works the way it works, and it becomes second nature.

I moved to Avid from Speed Razor, Incite, and Premiere Pro 6.5 back in the day and it took me a full 2 months to stop trying to bend it to my will and instead "learn the Avid way" and now I won't go back. I love it.

I know it sucks to be forced away from a favorite tool. But do know that they are all just tools and when used to their best advantage they can all get the job done.

Chris

Return to posts index

Paul Nordin
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:19:32 am

>> And then, LISTENING. They definitely need to show that they are listening.

They just did show they are listening to their target market for this product. Unfortunately, we are not it.

Emeryville, CA

Return to posts index

Tom Babauta
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:33:27 am

Let us stop being disillusioned here. Its been 2 years since the last major upgrade, they had all the time to listen. Its clear that its not our market they are after anymore. Time to move on.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:37:10 am

I moved my FCP X right into the Trash then moved my browser to Adobe.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:41:56 am

[Tom Babauta] "Let us stop being disillusioned here. Its been 2 years since the last major upgrade, they had all the time to listen. Its clear that its not our market they are after anymore."

That's one interpretation, but it's not the only one. The bulk of the work done in FCP X is useful (and much-needed) in a high-end pro app. So it's not like Apple has spent the last three years writing code that's useless to our market. They've spent is writing code that will be extremely useful to our market once they write a bit more code.

Personally, I consider it unlikely that they're going to give up the high-end pro market because they're too lazy to implement XML exporting, etc. It's far more likely they shipped as soon as they had a product useful to some people, and are planning to make it useful to more people in the future.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:41:46 am

Then, to the OP's point, they should come out and say so. And quick.

Chris

Return to posts index

Lloyd Claycomb
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:29:12 am

Couldn't agree more! Apple no longer cares about its old prosumers. iPads and iPhones is where it's at.

Adobe with Mercury Playback Engine is where it's at! Now, if Adobe could only figure out how to do more than 4 multicams I'd be happy. That's the only thing it's missing that FCP can do. Woops, forgot only FCP7 can do multiclip. FCPX can't even do 4 now!

Nice job Apple. I'm OUTTA'HERE!

Sure wish I could get a refund.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:31:28 am

Me too. See ya on the other side!

Tom Daigon

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:51:07 am

[Clayton Burkhart] "Apple probably needs to do some damage control, Now."

That is the understatement of the decade!

First thing they should do is put FCS3 back on the shelves! That would go a long way in my book.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:06:52 am

[Scott Sheriff] "First thing they should do is put FCS3 back on the shelves! That would go a long way in my book."

I'd like to know why the decision to EOL FCS3 was made just now. Clearly, it had nothing to do with Apple's cost of supporting it. After all, they never supported it anyway. The Creative Cow has provided more support than for FCP than Apple ever has.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:11:16 am

"I'd like to know why the decision to EOL FCS3 was made just now. Clearly, it had nothing to do with Apple's cost of supporting it. After all, they never supported it anyway. The Creative Cow has provided more support than for FCP than Apple ever has."

I must say, Im am looking forward to working with software developed and supported enthusiastically by it parent company. It amazing the outreach of info and the response to feedback that Adobe has done with CS5. Such dedication and energy earns my respect and my dollars. Its nice to see active demonstrations that they care.

Tom Daigon

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:23:28 am

I went to Adobe's roadshow in Los Angeles a week or two ago and it was pretty impressive stuff. I own CS5.5 and am fiddling with it, but I'm primarily an Avid guy and completely happy at that.

Having said that, I'll probably pick up FCP X to play with. Then I'll have the full range of tools, MC5.5, CS5.5, FCS 3, and now FCP X. It's fun to play, and I'll have any tool a client asks for.

Chris

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:10:19 am

[Scott Sheriff] "First thing they should do is put FCS3 back on the shelves! That would go a long way in my book."

How on earth did this comment get two negative votes? This would be a perfectly reasonable stop-gap measure until FCPX is a bit further developed to address some legitimate needs.

Apple spent a lot of time at the SuperMeet telling us how much of the market they own, and how much smaller Avid's and Adobe's shares are. As of today, you cannot buy an NLE from the market leader that ingests or outputs to tape!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

george manzanilla
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:01:32 am

i've been using FCP since v 1.2 and this new one is just throwing me for a loop. It has great features, but is fundamentally SO DIFFERENT, that I can't even consider it the same program anymore. In fact, I've spent half the day looking for different post options. Avid, Premiere all look very tempting. It's really unfortunate, but they WERE the industry standard for a long time. With this release, they are going to lose a lot of customers and have opened the door for new standards. Frankly, going to stick to FCP 7 for a couple more months but then try to transition over to AVID.

I hate not being able to organize my media how I WANT IT. I hate not being able to turn on and off tracks how I WANT. the fact it, FCP 1-7 made it easy for everyone to create their OWN way to work. This new version seems to want to force everyone to work a certain way and that is just a step in the wrong direction in my opinion.

george manzanilla
rundfunk media
http://www.rundfunk.com
myspace.com/rundfunkmedia

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:44:12 am

[george manzanilla] " hate not being able to organize my media how I WANT IT."

From Larry Jordan's blog today....before the traffic crashed his server.

"Plus, if you are someone that likes to organize their files, FCP X supports that. If you HATE organization, FCP X will organize your files for you. Now, we have a choice."

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:48:09 am

George, you've articulated the basic problem with X. Most NLEs I work with will accommodate your style and preferences (ie organization).
With Apple and X. its "My way or the highway". Not my idea of good professional software at all.

Tom Daigon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]