FORUMS: list search recent posts

Forum names

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Forum names
on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21:43 pm

Is it time for a rename of the forum yet? Or alternatively renaming the FCPX techniques forum just FCPX? Is the " techniques" part of the name putting off people from general discussion about FCPX over there?

I don't know about other FCPX users on here, but I'd quite like to have some discussions about FCPX and Apple that don't turn into World War 3.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Forum names
on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:37:06 pm

Isn't there already a forum for that?

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:50:16 pm

W NLE WA
World NLE Wrestling Association

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:53:45 pm

for my ranting part, I'm lately to blame with stuff like the "apple are hilarious" bits, but realistically - this simply isn't a forum for FCPX users to discuss FCPX, this is a forum for interested parties to discuss whither FCPX.. or not. It really is specifically a debate forum. That is it's reason for being. Its being discussed here, Leo Laporte spent a quarter of the NAB macbreak weekly discussing it with Jordan, cinematographers and Alex Lindsey: no one has exhausted the discussion because the matter isn't settled yet. Probably won't be for, god knows - a year say?

As to FCPX techniques being neglected, they did say that that is the second most trafficked forum on the cow - someone tried to break down Apple's numbers on it in the mystery hotel suite - there are anywhere between half a million and a million FCPX license holders.

Apple's sitting pretty, Premiere 6 is a champ, Avid is going for buttons.. so it goes no?

as an aside, red wine and microwaves:

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 20, 2012 at 2:47:21 pm

Fabulous. Gives me an idea for a new cooking show, "Sam Peckinpah's Kitchen Favorites."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 20, 2012 at 5:57:04 pm

patent that.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:57:22 pm

Steve,

There are some things in this world you can't control:

1) You can't pick your relatives.

2) You can't tell others what to think (though you certainly love to try, over and over and over).

3) And, you can't change the name of the forums just because your own tired arguments and those of the three others who agree with you never seem to prevail.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:08:33 pm

Just the kind of answer I would expect from you David, I make a perfectly reasonable set of comments and you bring it back to your own tired agenda.

Don't you dare accuse me of trying to tell people what to think, that is not what I do on here, that's your speciality.

Tried being reasonable with you, but that clearly doesn't work as you still trot out the same insults that you've been using for the past year.

We have a nice phrase over here in the UK "Up yours"

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 20, 2012 at 12:04:28 am

[Steve Connor] "Don't you dare accuse me of trying to tell people what to think, that is not what I do on here"

Come on Steve, you've been telling people here to leave the forum or to stop "whining" for months and months.

And, this whole name change concept, or disbanding this forum entirely, is nothing new for you either.

Meanwhile, you like to lambaste me simply because I'm the lone voice that simply tries to get you and the other three who agree with you to stop trying to chase everyone else away.

For the record, though I don't happen to share your beliefs about FCPX, I don't begrudge you because of your opinions - it's your inability to acknowledge or to show empathy for others who have dissenting POVs that draws my fire, and it always will.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 20, 2012 at 7:53:25 am

[David Roth Weiss] "And, this whole name change concept, or disbanding this forum entirely, is nothing new for you either."

Firstly I never suggested disbanding it! and secondly why shouldn't I mention a name change?

[David Roth Weiss] "Come on Steve, you've been telling people here to leave the forum or to stop "whining" for months and months. "

Have you any recent examples of this?

[David Roth Weiss] "Meanwhile, you like to lambaste me simply because I'm the lone voice that simply tries to get you and the other three who agree with you to stop trying to chase everyone else away."

No-one here tries to chase anyone away, no wonder you're the "lone voice", you're the only person who thinks that

[David Roth Weiss] "it's your inability to acknowledge or to show empathy for others who have dissenting POVs that draws my fire, and it always will.
"

Again can you point me to an example of this?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:12:07 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "your own tired arguments"

Our arguments are full of energy.

[David Roth Weiss] "three others who agree with you never seem to prevail."

Sure seems lots of people are waisting time here. Imagine three of us tying up hundreds of you in arguments that you never seem to tire of hearing since you do keep coming back after all.

W NLE WA seems right because it seems a small number have a very large number in a headlock otherwise they would have ran away a loooong time ago.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:17:20 pm

The Ars Technica message board has a 'Battlefront' forum for general platform wars. Perhaps this could become the "NLE Battlefront" forum and "FCP X Techniques" could become "FCP X". This maintains an outlet for NLE debate/advocacy without singling out a particular NLE.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:22:53 pm

may I suggest: "It Ain't Ever Gonna Stop Changing. Again."

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
CMX-Quantel-Avid-FCP-Premiere-3D-AFX-Crayola
"What a long strange trip it's been...."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:27:08 pm

But then people would go to the techniques forum to blast fcpx, or apple or whatever.

Keep "debate" weird.

Keep "techniques" clean. There's real help and insight there, it would be a shame to weird it.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:29:21 pm

Good point

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:30:02 pm

you do seem to have a taste for the weird jeremy....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:41:51 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "you do seem to have a taste for the weird jeremy...."

Takes one to know one? ;)

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 20, 2012 at 12:25:54 pm

well, indeed.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:47:58 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Keep "debate" weird."

4 A Debate probably not clear though Apple Avid Adobe Autodesk and that leaves Blackmagic and HP out of the picture.

NLE fight club

COW needs to think about SEO though.

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:49:45 pm

[Steve Connor] "Is the " techniques" part of the name putting off people from general discussion about FCPX over there?"

I usually read before I post so the content of a forum is always the better indication for me of what's going on there rather than a name.

Just like Discrete Edit*ors forum right after the product was discontinued this forum is drawing people to come because it shows broader picture than more focused forums.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:54:48 pm

Name it - Cow Farts - and be done with it...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 20, 2012 at 12:05:50 am

Archived posts move to Old Cow Farts?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 20, 2012 at 12:20:34 am

COW Patty - slinging starts here.

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Apr 20, 2012 at 12:49:51 am

Perfect case study. Every argument on the internet ends in methane.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 20, 2012 at 1:04:39 am

NAB generated a lot of really useful debate in this forum and then the last two days has descended into the sort of childish mudslinging that characterised this forum this time last year.

One reason may be that those that are happy with FCPX are feeling the forum is being rail roaded into complex discussions about everything but FCPX. It seemed that there was more debate here about CS6 and Smoke than on their Cow forums. I think NAB has shifted focus in a positive way. If Apple have been MIA for a few days, so be it. Don't forget the forum name says Or Not.

Changing the name will make no difference in my opinion. FCPX is not going away and regardless of how it sits post NAB, it is still part of the debate. Somewhere between the accusations of fan boys Vs haters is the majority of people who post here who are neither and are just tired of the 'he said/ she said' level of vitriol. Can we be a tad more adult and sophisticated please?

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Apr 20, 2012 at 2:09:28 am

I think this forum should be renamed to

'Dump your Frustrations here'

:p

Sohrab

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi & Adobe PPro

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 20, 2012 at 4:11:01 am

The name's fine. no need to change it.

If new people are getting confused, then just change the sub-menu header at the top of the page to make it clear this is the *debate* forum. Like this:

No confusion, problem solved.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 20, 2012 at 5:22:24 am

As long as the debate rages on... the name must remain!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Apr 20, 2012 at 3:00:45 pm

It appears to me that the debate is still ongoing.

At times it does seem to bog down into the same circular discussion. But then there are some discussions that I do find interesting. I suppose this is why this particular forum is so popular. Referring to this place as the the FCP X debate forum seems to be the best descriptive for this place. I'm sure this discussion will continue, even if/after Apple adds/changes FCP X to do everything everyone wants/needs. Even then, I'm sure there will still be opportunity to debate.

Steve I do think you bring up a valid point when it comes to the name of the FCP X Techniques forum. All the other Cow forums (outside of Compressor) don't add Techniques to the name. The FCP X Techniques forum is really the same as the FCP Forum, or Final Cut Pro at the main Forum level. So I can see changing the name to FCP X Forum at this level and simply Final Cut Pro X at the main Forum level. Same nomenclature as is used for FCP 7 and earlier.

But, that's just my opinion. Although I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]