FORUMS: list search recent posts

A view from the other side

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Cascio
A view from the other side
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:30:25 am

This is not likely to be a popular post, and I'm sure many here will not agree with me. However, as a PC/Vegas user who's been waiting anxiously since NAB for the release of FCPX, I am elated.

I have compassion for those here who've made their living with previous FCS versions. This one is different. But I think it's different in a good way - one that will make me a Mac convert.

FCS, and to a similar degree, Premiere, have cumbersome UI's and a longer learning curve than does Vegas. The new FCPX is long overdue IMO. I love that it's more Vegas-like because Vegas makes it easier to learn editing.

BUT X has not only modernized Final Cut, it will force Vegas, Premier and every other NLE to become better and faster. I welcome X and plan to get my first Mac very soon.

As for you old time Final Cut users, I hope you'll come to realize that X provides a newer and better platform fot the future of Final Cut. I also don't think A

Return to posts index

Paul Kerby
Re: A view from the other side
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:41:12 am

How can you say old time FCP users when x has been out a day.??? Not to mention everyone buying it uses fcp 7 and wouldn't need to re learn anything... Now imovie people are ahead of the game cause they know what to make of that stupid filmstrip parading as a proper viewer. Many features are innovative and awesome but they went to far screwing with the timeline and back end project setup... It wasn't broken and now it is...

My friends kept saying they were looking into avid and I was like no worries FCP X is gonna rock. Well, I was wrong it's terrible enough to make me a 30 year old editior from LA who has been on FCP for a decade ready to jump ship... I'm sure they won't miss me cause all the soccer moms will run out and buy it to edit birthdays with.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:45:46 am

http://www.gregburkepost.com

I DO BIRTHDAYS!!! PARTIES!!!! and bar mitzvahs!

Saving up for a avid Meida composer now.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:25:52 am

Well I own a pretty serious creative company and I'm pretty delighted with the new paradigm.
We do a lot of spot and film work in Motion and FCP and I really like the integration of both and the new interfaces...and really like the new media management. These things will, without doubt, save hours per project for us.

We moved to all digital acquisition a couple of years ago and also have integrated audio production and post in-house so obviously this is really ideal for us.

I do have some sympathy for edit houses working with a lot of outside sources and clients, but i'm pretty confident that the shortcomings will be addressed in pretty quick fashion regarding them. In the meantime they and we will still have FCP 7 running for legacy projects.

You don't have to embrace the new paradigm if you don't like it or if you can't work with it immediately, but it's pretty unnecessary to indict those of us that do as "soccer moms"

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:35:27 am

Dont reflexively jump to Avid. I used various Avids for 15 years and they lack a lot of what cool things FCP 7 offered. Look into CS5 (Premiere Pro built from the ground up).They have a lot of similar features. Pair that with After Effects and Photoshop and things look pretty good from where I am sitting

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:31:28 am

CS5.5 is pretty cool. I own it and use it. But MC5.5 is still my editor of choice. Of course I'm open minded enough to say it somewhat depends on the work you do. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, does long form narrative and documentary work better than Avid. If you do primarily commercials or shorter work, then FCP X might be the bee's knees.

They're all tools. And each one will have it's strengths and weaknesses. Having read thru this forum today, I know Tom has a thing against Avid, and that's his prerogative. I'd just like to counter and say of the three, MC5.5 is definitely my editor of choice and I only reach for one of the others when a client demands it. Which, thankfully, is becoming less and less often. Of course I work primarily in features and episodic, so your mileage may vary.

Chris Conlee

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:11:57 am

[Paul Kerby] "Many features are innovative and awesome but they went to far screwing with the timeline and back end project setup... It wasn't broken and now it is... "

LOL!

Yeah, I never had any problems with corrupt .fcp files or baffling mismatched renders or sequences that just didn't behave as they should...

Get real.

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:10:41 am

FCP X is missing a lot of meat and potatoes but I like the new Interface.

The irony is if Apple had released the new design into FCP first, then trickle it down to iMovie -then there wouldn't have been a lot of this vitriol about it.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Paul Kerby
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:16:29 pm

Get real? I've never had those problems... Maybe you will love fcpx since you don't know how to use fcp7...

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:37:19 am

Let me ask you something: did you ever use Multi-clip editing in Vegas? Is that even an option? I can tell you that for my workflow it is absolutely essential. I also have been very excited about this release, but I'm dumbfounded they left this key feature out. For many of us, the issue isn't learning a new workflow or new mindset for editing. It's that we depend on certain features, such as XML, editing to tape, and in my case Multiclip. If you can show me a better or even comparable way of achieving the same thing in FCPX as I could in FCP7 with multiclip, I'm all for it.

Return to posts index

Paul Cascio
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:25:55 pm

David, when you say "Multi-clip", I assume you mean synchronized, multi-camera cutting. If so, I've toyed with Vegas' capability. Not it's strong suit, for sure.

I think Apple needs address the concerns of its loyal fan base. The silence is puzzling to say the least.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:41:43 pm

Actually, with Apple, silence is typical.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]