FORUMS: list search recent posts

My thoughts after a few hours...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jean-François Robichaud
My thoughts after a few hours...
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:12:29 am

I've been toying around with FCP X for a few hours and at the same time reading comments on the COW. I'm more positive than most, in that I'm actually starting to like the way it behaves.

THE BAD
- Missing features: OMF, EDL, XML, Multicam, export options, RED RAW, third-party hardware support, etc. I expect some of those to become available through upgrades. I am afraid that we will have to pay extra for individual features (or buy them in packages), especially proprietary codecs that involve license costs. This is a common strategy with Store apps, and wouldn't be beyond Apple. Can you imagine? 100$ for RED RAW support, 75$ for OMF export, etc... by the time you're set up, FCP X cost you 900$ or so. That would explain why Apple is selling FCP X for 300$. Or maybe I'm just paranoid. But then again, it might be a good thing for those that don't need everything.
- You can't import legacy FCP 7 projects. Sure you can retain your FCP 7 install, but I would have liked to transition one of my current projects to FCP X, in order to learn it in my free time.
- I don't like the inability to save a project where you want. I usually save my project in a Dropbox folder, so I can work from the office or home; media files remain in local copies. I'll have to go back to carrying around an external hard disk every day (which will have to contain both project an event folders).
- You can't customize the interface, other than sending either the Event Library or Viewer to the second monitor. But I have to admit that the UI is growing on me and I forgot my initial reaction.

THE GOOD
- The "one project, one timeline" paradigm; it requires an adaptation, but it's actually more effective than the old way of doing things. In fact, the way I can organise my projects in custom folders from the Project Library renders the point moot. You can still have multiple versions. You just have to re-learn what the words "timeline" and "project" mean. It's a smarter way of implementing project management.
- The Event Library: I wasn't so pleased when I saw it at first, but I'm loving it now. In fact, I LOVE that it's global rather than project-based. Project-based media management is so 2010. It's going to be a time saver.

NOT SO SURE
- The magnetic timeline: Overall I am very impressed so far, but I'm not used to its intricacies yet. Problem is, you have to use it the way it's been designed to be used, not the way FCP use to work, and that's not an easy thing to do...

THE STUFF I COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT
- Consumer features in my Pro app. I have to admit I did cringe when I saw the SHARE entry in the upper menu, and I double-cringed when I saw it contained Export to Youtube, Vimeo and Facebook features. But that has absolutely no impact on how I will use the product, so why should I care.
- Deleting something from an event moves the source file to the trash: Well considering that the sub-menu option is called "MOVE TO TRASH", is that surprising? The shortcut is Cmd-Delete, not Delete, so it's not going to happen by accident. If you want an element to disapear from the Event Library without actually deleting the file, just set its rating to "Rejected" and Hide Rejected clips from the Event Library (Ctrl-H)

I feel that a lot of criticism of FCP X so far comes from people that:
- haven't actually used it, or
- want it to work like FCP 7, and don't want to take the time to learn the "new ways" that Apple is proposing.

Many people say it's dumbed down... That's not my experience so far. Sure, at first, it's strange, but it's actually pretty deep once you spend some time with it.

For now, I'll keep editing professional projects on FCP 7 and play around with FCP X in my free time. Once I'm up to speed, I'll probably make the jump for good.

Return to posts index

TS O'Grady
Re: My thoughts after a few hours...
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:26:48 am

Thanks for that rational and balanced review. Most of the people on this forum have gone insane so your input is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Stefan Buhrmester
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:30:56 am

Regarding the dropbox problem: You can simply add a symlink inside your dropbox folder referencing your FCPX project folder.

Return to posts index

Gregory Butner
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:43:46 am

This is the most informative post I've come across so far about the new release. There are several people on here posting repeatedly about how they don't like the new program because it's different. Final Cut Pro is a program that has a somewhat high learning curve and therefore I think it should take more than just a few minutes to give it a fair evaluation. I was nearly scared off by some of the posts I've seen today, but I then realized that it was the same 5 people making all of the comments. I can understand why fcpx can't export to xml. It handles sequences very different than the previous more linear timeline, but does it also lack an xml import? If so this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I hope someone finds a workaround quickly for bringing in old FCP7 sequences. Thanks a lot for your post. It was really helpful information.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:59:32 am

Yes, thank you for actually providing information rather than just bitching about what it isn't or what it's missing and then telling us that you're moving to avid/adobe.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:59:11 am

I feel that a lot of criticism of FCP X so far comes from people that:
- haven't actually used it, or
- want it to work like FCP 7, and don't want to take the time to learn the "new ways" that Apple is proposing

I'm reading a lot more criticism than not from peoples personal experience from it, and regarding the "new ways"...I don't know, if you can't export an XML file...that's insane. And a lot of people should be incensed by that. IF this is going to be updated, I think it's fair to ask..."when" and fair to hold Apple's feet to the fire to release it as a standard update, not an inflated price to the program.

I didn't jump for joy on the new price regardless, I always thought there would be a catch, we shall see, but it makes perfect sense to charge to upgrade the program at this cost. Regardless of lowering the cost by eliminating vendors and packaging etc...appreciate your review, but I think it's clear that some of the changes aren't liked, and I think we should pardon the justifiable criticisms here. Cliche to say, but a "new way" doesn't always translate into better nor productive...

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:24:20 am

I am certainly no professional at using FCP, so I am not sure how much better if any it is. I have mostly spent my time compositing in AE. I did decide to take the plunge and move over to FCP X due to the fact that I am a MAC convert. I realize Adobe is on mac as well, however I have AE on PC. In addition apple to me is very good at making stuff work. I have no doubts they will address your concerns as a professional FCP user in the coming weeks/months. Apple didn't get to be the professional standard in video editing by being idiots. I think one of the things that has turned many off is the fact FCPX looks like a beefed up version of IMOVIE.

We shall see what the future holds. I have faith that the Apple guys will get it right. I am not bashing you guys but who in the heck still uses tape input? I personally film with HDSLR because you cannot beat the glass :). Why not get yourself a Red one or something ? Don't scream at me, I am just asking.

Buddy C

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:23:25 am

[Buddy Couch] "Why not get yourself a Red one or something ?"

Why not have R3D support out of the box then...? This is crazy...

What is happening here that really annoys me the most, is not the changes, not the "new ways", not calling it a revolution when it's just a watered down pseudo Pro app....it's not communicating to your core pro users and expecting them to pull the weight...

Coming this far with this suite to only take a step backwards and not saying *anything* is a horrible strategy. We keep hearing from the admirable defenders here Apple will update it with pro features...uh, sure...

What I would like to know is, where is the link to that statement..?

I think any Avid users who migrated over to FCP might be used to this kind of treatment so you might have part of the base more forgiving... ;P

The future of this program should not be a mystery. THAT is my beef

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:24:25 am

[Jean-François Robichaud] "Many people say it's dumbed down... That's not my experience so far. Sure, at first, it's strange, but it's actually pretty deep once you spend some time with it.
"

This is a great point and I am having the same experience.

If you want a non linear edting system to have a tape mentality (which all of them do) as in source over here record over there, then this software is not for you.

I remember AVID editors who were so attached to the fact that they could make each track a fancy color that they wouldn't switch to FCP.

Many "pros" are in a comfort zone. Apple does their market research. In that sense a "professional" should understand that Apple has the resources to "actually" understand what is happening in the world of multimedia right now.

Share to e-mail. Yes. Why not email a short cut to your producer to watch on her iphone? Does anyone think that is not professional? That that won't be the norm in six months?

My approach is simple. Embrace. It is going to be around.

David

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:37:05 am

"My approach is simple. Embrace. It is going to be around. "

Yes, the growing culture Prosumers will definitely keep it alive. But a lot of other folks will be abandoning it. Mark my words.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:50:57 am

I just like that there are many smart technologies built into this software and I like the approach.

I can not use it on every job, but there are some things I am seeing that it does very very well.

I am glad they made a bold move, I have been staring at the same software with different names for two decades.

At least they are attempting a fresh approach to how media is organized and assembled.

It does not bother me that they are trying to make the machine do more of the work. And we can turn it all off.

I need a week. I need to read more, try more and test more.

Yes. I agree that OMF and XML and EDL missing is a large problem, but I doubt that we will never see that implemented or see ways to implement that.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]