Ronald Lindeboom
Bob Zelin on NAB Live right now...
on Apr 18, 2012 at 11:30:26 pm

http://new.livestream.com/teradek/day3#

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: Bob Zelin on NAB Live right now...
on Apr 19, 2012 at 6:18:20 am

Definitely check out this interview. It really nails down the insanity of the business right now...

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS5.5, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:39:27 am

It's always a pleasure to get Bob's take on things. He really knows how to get to the point!

There is only one thing I disagree with is that people want an all in one camera. I don't miss that at all.

I think it's much better to record dual system audio. Yes it's an added step in post but the benefits of using a dedicated recorder with no wires or receivers hooked up to the camera gets better results. After all, a film camera doesn't have an audio input. (usually)

For many things like reality and doc shooting an all in one is the best. But the small box with lens mount is the future. It opens up so many possibilities to make better narrative projects using lightweight portable support gear. I think this accidental trend is here to stay.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:13:05 pm

Creative Cow is his therapy as he can't yell at his clients.

Love it.

I actually think he's right about all in one cameras. Recording uncompressed audio in camera was a technical achievement and step forward, and now it has been reset with DSLRs and Red One. I think the audio analysis tools are great, but at the same time, we now have to monitor the camera, an external video recorder, an external audio recorder, and in the case of timecodeless cameras and audio recorders, we have to somehow manage tc.

All of this, in my opinion, is not necessary all the time.

There are merits for double system sound, especially when you are recording more than two or in some cases four, tracks of audio, but for simpler requirements, I will gladly take a great codec, tc and audio right in camera embedded in to a wrapper.

Shooters/audio have enough work to do to get the shot, than worry about all these disparate elements all syncing together. It's very rare in my sector of the business that clients want more people and more gear. Sometimes the job demands it, sometimes it doesn't. Then theres the times where the job demands it, and the budget can't support it. Not having tc and audio causes more work and more time that clients don't necessarily want to pay for. From a post perspective, I will be glad when the DSLR revolution starts to wane, in some ways it's well on the way.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Apr 19, 2012 at 6:27:58 pm

I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

My main point is that as soon as clients know what is possible to pull off with less people that becomes the norm. Having to shoot and pay attention to the sound at the same time means at least one of those two jobs suffers.

I guess my point is that the dslr style cameras vs an all in one is that they are different tools for very different jobs. When I make a short film, having sound attached to the camera is more of a burden. Being able to move the camera without having a cable puller is a good thing.

That said, eng style shooting and editing which is still a great deal of my income I prefer an all in one as Bob stated in the interview.

I know I'm off topic for the thread so I'll say something regarding his comment "the demise of FCP" that is the second thing I disagreed with. I think he meant fall from grace. I have to say, I started on avid, switched to fcp, and now I really like FCPX and I can't go back. Except for native red support which is coming, I can do everything much faster. (I say this after I spent three days punching the wall getting used to the magnetic timeline) I will give Premiere CS6 a try, but I think fcpx is the direction it's all heading.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:00:34 pm

Bob Zelin.... Rock & Roll IT dude!

Rock on Bob!

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Apr 20, 2012 at 3:25:22 pm

I had the opportunity to meet Bob at NAB this past week.

After reading many of his very informative and colorful posts, I have to say our meeting was not what I was expecting.

I guess I was expecting a colorful discussion, which it wasn't at all.

I found Bob to be very approachable, pleasant and interested in our discussion. Even though my knowledge level is far below his on the general topic of what I simply call storage.

It's great to put a face to a name. Or more importantly the full person to a name.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 20, 2012 at 5:23:21 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "I found Bob to be very approachable, pleasant and interested in our discussion."

I've found Bob to be a careful listener who never claims to be the smartest one in the room -- or even the conversation - even though he often is. He never stops learning, never stops trying to do his job better.

Bob is also a genuinely funny guy, very quick-witted, very enthusiastic. When he types, he uses a lot of all caps and almost never just one exclamation point because HE'S JUST THAT EXCITED!!!!!

Not that his posts aren't representative of who he is either. Assume he's laughing because he so often IS laughing, and you'll have it just about right.

It is with good reason that his post-NAB round-ups are traditionally some of our most popular articles each year. He DRIVES between Orlando and Las Vegas every year, so stand by for a bit....but it's definitely coming....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]