FORUMS: list search recent posts

Such lovely people

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Phil Hoppes
Re: Such lovely people
on Apr 18, 2012 at 10:29:22 pm

Interesting story. I have no doubt that it's true. I also have numerous stories of Apple but of the 180 degree from that story version. One had to do with an issue on my Mac Pro, another on two on MacBook Pro's I've had. In all cases the support people at Apple went out of their way to make sure my problems were resolved. In one case they replaced a mother board when they really did not need to (it had just gone out of warranty) and over all were quite interested that I was a happy customer. The glass is half empty or half full depending upon your experiences. They don't walk on water but they are not the Imperial Army either.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Apr 18, 2012 at 11:05:55 pm

[Phil Hoppes] "In one case they replaced a mother board when they really did not need to (it had just gone out of warranty)"

Hmm...

I have had numerous problems with my first macbook pro. I had to fight to get a logic board replaced which had a replacement program...only to discover they replaced it with the very same defective logic board and it failing later only to be rejected for another repair. I had verifiable and noticeable squealing the "genius" bar guys and service folks refused to accept hearing...even though the nearest customer could...

Apple is run like a cult...and you may get the odd black sheep willing to help, but it's rare

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 18, 2012 at 11:13:57 pm

Don't agree, most times I've dealt with them in the past they've been very helpful.

Although, I recently had had the video card go in my 4 year and one week old MacBook Pro, The manager at The Apple store was very sympathetic but said that NVidia would only replace cards in MacBook Pro's up to 4 years old, he couldn't even put it through their replacement system as it was managed by Nvidia not Apple

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Apr 18, 2012 at 11:17:15 pm

My only point is that this is really a worthless argument. I've had very good experiences with Apple support both in stores and over the phone. You've had contrary. There are folks on this board who use HP and Dell machines and have had very good experiences with them. Me, for my 2cents Dell is just passable and HP is nothing but crap... but, I am biased by my experiences. I'm not trying to convince you Apple is good and you won't convince me they are evil so the entire point is moot.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Apr 18, 2012 at 11:27:02 pm

it really is a worthless argument...so why are we posting stories that run contrary to it...? To affirm Apple isn't "all" douchie...? That wasn't his thesis. He experienced a pretty strong indication they are capable of being pretty rotten, spending against their own interests when they have nothing to gain nor lose, in his particular problem, which made this more about the culture at Apple, not their overall customer service...

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Apr 19, 2012 at 12:21:04 am

It is an interesting story, and good for him for sticking to it. However, it is far too easy these days to blame the big bad company for sending their minions after you. It is, in fact, the minions who are running the show. If you don't already know what I mean, I'll explain...

Technology geeks don't know crap about the law. The don't know about the heart-lung machine, either. Sometimes, they don't know how an air conditioner works. In the case of tech companies, they are a bit unique in that they can grow to the sizes they are and still be run by tech guys. A good number of other large conglomerates are run by people with law degrees, not because they know the first thing about soap, or pencils, or chairs, but because they know how to run something big. Apple's legal department is run by lawyers and lawyers are all about self-preservation (not that that's unique). In order to show they are worth the money they are getting, they will have to go to court and rack up some billable hours. If I had to guess, Seattle Slue got bean counted. It's unfortunate, but remember. The people who run Apple don't know diddly about the law.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Gav Bott
on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:38:52 am

"The people who run Apple don't know diddly about the law."

I would think they expect their lawyers to though, and they were the ones in court - and being the biggest company (or top 3) in the universe I'm going to say - I bet they didn't come cheap.

And they got tucked up within 2 minutes.

Saying that the company leaders don't know about the law is one thing - but when they speak to their lawyers the advice might be "Hey, this one is shakey at best - give the guy a laptop, a amile and walk away."

Self preservation is the opposite of what kicked in here.

The Brit in Brisbane
The Pomme in Production - Brisbane Australia.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Apr 19, 2012 at 12:47:47 pm

No one would have been told about this case. It never left the legal office. That's the point I was trying to make.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 19, 2012 at 4:14:10 pm

Actually I've had the exact same problem occur with the same MBP. The "Genius" takes it in the back room and identifies the problem as "the logic board", that'll be $600, please, well, they don't actually say "please".

Frankly, I don't think they know what they're doing, since the GPU is built into the logic board and of course it has failed. So really, I'm just waiting for it to fail again (because the replacement is the exact same defective build) which will trigger a return trip to shove the machine and their repair bill somewhere the sun don't shine.

Its the kind of behaviour I expect from a company that is out of control.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Apr 19, 2012 at 5:12:29 pm

Now that's true. They really don't know what they're doing. It depends on the store. The one here in Birmingham is great/awful depending on which day you get there and what time. Someone back there knows what's going on, but not everyone, evidently. For all the success of the Apple store, it must be entirely product driven. The training appears pretty bad as the people on the floor are typically ignorant of the products they sell.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 19, 2012 at 5:43:39 pm

[Joseph Owens] "Frankly, I don't think they know what they're doing, since the GPU is built into the logic board and of course it has failed. So really, I'm just waiting for it to fail again (because the replacement is the exact same defective build) which will trigger a return trip to shove the machine and their repair bill somewhere the sun don't shine."

I got whacked by this same GPU problem a couple of years ago and was told in the store that my production batch wasn't covered (I guess it wasn't supposed to have this problem?), but the symptoms all fit. Anyway, I just called Apple's support number, explained the symptoms, and they were happy to set up a repair that way. They paid for overnight shipping both ways, fixed the machine and mailed it back out same day, and replaced my broken optical drive (despite the machine being out of warranty).

It would have been nice if they'd just fixed it overnight in the store, but overall not too bad. A less savvy user probably would have ended up paying for the motherboard replacement, however.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]