FORUMS: list search recent posts

Throwing in towel on NLEs - Going back to CMX 3600

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Throwing in towel on NLEs - Going back to CMX 3600
on Apr 17, 2012 at 2:52:42 am

At least I can spit out my FCPX project in CMX 3600 format now.

So for those who want the venerable EDL format, it's here.

XMiL announces Final Cut Pro X XML to a CMX 3600 EDL converter!
http://www.motionvfx.com/mblog/xmil_announces_final_cut_pro_x_xml_to_a_cmx_...

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
Re: Throwing in towel on NLEs - Going back to CMX 3600
on Apr 17, 2012 at 2:56:49 am

First back to source monitor now cmx compliant what next moviola?steenbeck? FCPX never ceases to amaze me. (btw just kidding)

RC

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:42:34 am

Next thing you know, there'll be an outboard character generator complete with composite chroma crawl.

Look out!

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Apr 17, 2012 at 6:31:40 am

How many GPI triggers can FCPX have?

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Apr 17, 2012 at 9:54:55 am

Great, we can go back to large desks full of switchers with massive T bars. They always made me feel kinda like a pilot. Impressed the hell outta clients, much more than an iMac does now. They were far more likely to sit on the sofa in silent awe of my technical prowess, instead of asking if they can get that software on their Macbook.... *sigh*

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Apr 17, 2012 at 11:31:18 am

Pull those T bars in the correct sequence and you can blow up a planet!

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 17, 2012 at 11:44:53 am

I was the only one in the theater who laughed like a maniac at that shot. Other people were not amused.

Tim

Return to posts index

John Czerwinski
on Apr 17, 2012 at 11:45:50 am

The old grass valley 200 switcher and sony 9100. The glory days

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Apr 17, 2012 at 11:49:21 am

[Jason Porthouse] "Great, we can go back to large desks full of switchers with massive T bars. They always made me feel kinda like a pilot. Impressed the hell outta clients, much more than an iMac does now. They were far more likely to sit on the sofa in silent awe of my technical prowess, instead of asking if they can get that software on their Macbook.... *sigh*"

I was telling a preacher friend of mine just yesterday about my $750,000 edit suite at CNN post 15 years ago...... Abekas A-83, A-57, a million D-2 machines and Digi Betas...... Now I can do so much more with my 3 year old Mac Pro, Kona Card and various software. BTW the linear suite only had one monitor that anybody cared about. It changed from source to record as needed totally at the whim of the editor.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Apr 17, 2012 at 11:56:52 am

With the ever increasing convergence of home/pro tech, do you the ink there's a market for dummy gear - you know, stuff that looks really complicated but doesn't actually do anything? Might mean that we can hold on to the cache of being very clever people who do very complex things with equipment you'll never understand in a million years. Clients will love it...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 17, 2012 at 1:41:37 pm

You can laugh all you want about this, but the most friendly data interchange format is the EDL, largely because it's so "dumb". That's what most DI houses want. It's what a lot of color correction systems want. Moving actual effects metadata around between competing systems is flawed in almost every instance and only works partially at best. That's why most post houses recommend that you offline and online using the same platform. Interchange boils down to knowing where the clips are and where the edit points are. Forget everything else. You'll have to rebuild it anyway. So, ironically, this four decades old standard is perfect for a file-based world. Good that someone put this utility together.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 17, 2012 at 1:45:26 pm

[Oliver Peters] "You can laugh all you want about this, but the most friendly data interchange format is the EDL, largely because it's so "dumb". That's what most DI houses want. It's what a lot of color correction systems want. Moving actual effects metadata around between competing systems is flawed in almost every instance and only works partially at best. That's why most post houses recommend that you offline and online using the same platform. Interchange boils down to knowing where the clips are and where the edit points are. Forget everything else. You'll have to rebuild it anyway. So, ironically, this four decades old standard is perfect for a file-based world. Good that someone put this utility together."

Yeah, there's quite a lot of appeal to a format that can represent a sequence in a format that software understands, but that's simple enough to be human-readable and manually editable. We routinely use XML between FCP/Resolve these days because it preserves things like punch-ins, but whenever things start going wrong, it's useful to have EDL as a fallback.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Apr 17, 2012 at 3:54:06 pm

Oliver, I totally agree. EDLs have saved my bacon on a number of occasions, and anything that helps X to play nicely with the outside world is to be applauded. Sometimes simple is best.

Still want a T-bar though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]