FORUMS: list search recent posts

So now what?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
So now what?
on Apr 16, 2012 at 7:07:03 am

Apart from the continuing mystery of the disappearing Mac Pro, we now have a good idea of what our options are going forward. What are everyones plans now? Have they changed with the Smoke announcement?

Personally I'm sticking with FCPX as primary editor for the moment, I'll be signing up for Adobe Creative Cloud to get all the Adobe Apps and I'll be investing in Smoke in the Fall. If Apple don't come up with another Mac Pro, I'll be getting a top end iMac (Pro) as well as getting a last generation Mac Pro from ebay.

Happy Days!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: So now what?
on Apr 16, 2012 at 7:16:55 am

I am torn between CS6 on WIN and Smoke on Mac. But that is partly to get some value out of a two year old Mac Pro. Perhaps I will do both. Perhaps Smoke will port to WIN but I doubt it.

As a finishing facility I see no place for FCPX but thanks to Smoke and CS6, I can tell editors I can take their edits if and when they start using it. Still not one single request to post a FCPX job yet in my area (Australian broadcast docos).

AVID is not on my radar as a finishing tool but again both Smoke or CS6 will potentially handle AVID projects.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Apr 16, 2012 at 9:56:25 am

I am extremely happy with the CS6 anouncement. Seems like 90 per cent of my wish list has been ticked ok.
If it works solid I'll jumping between Edius, PP and MC depending on the job.
Smoke looks amazing but I am not buying into Mac only software anymore (I know there used to be a Linux version-is it still there btw, cannot find anything on the Autodesk site- but in any case the NLE feature set there would not be the same).

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Apr 16, 2012 at 12:09:11 pm

I am currently using FCP7 and Avid and I will transition to Avid and Smoke in the future. As a Combustion user, I feel right at home in Smoke. I'm curious to see if Smoke will eventually become available on Windows as well.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 16, 2012 at 2:14:26 pm

FCPX is currently my main editor on my Macbook Pro based system. I haven't loaded 10.0.4 yet, but I'm looking forward to better performance. I also own the Adobe Master Suite and upgrading to CS6 seems worthwhile at this point. I have one of the supported OpenCL cards on my Macbook Pro, so that is exciting. I love editing without rendering! Most of my work now is corporate and FCPX is perfect for that. I'm pursuing more TV spot work which would be a great opportunity for putting Premiere & AE CS6 through their paces. So, basically, I don't feel a need to choose between Apple and Adobe when I can have both! Smoke is not really on my radar at this point, but I'll definitely keep a curious eyeball on it.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 16, 2012 at 3:11:45 pm

Yeah still kinda torn here. I was planning to build a killer Win 7 workstation for CS6 and still may do so but will play with it as much as I can this week at NAB and see if I really like it. The new Smoke may be enough to keep me 100% in the Mac world along with FCPX.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
What Autodesk Giveth Autodesk Taketh
on Apr 16, 2012 at 5:08:56 pm

I don't understand why almost everyone wants to jump when the software has not even been proven as an editor yet.

Also what has been handicapped in smoke so as to not compete with autodesk's other products. Anyone remembers combustion not to mention Edit* They started to put an editor in combustion but quickly eoled it before any development.

That said I do hope it works and a new era opens up but but also if the tools is as great as portrayed this could be to highend post what fcp was to post.

At this moment its not for me, but if it where i would wait till someone purchased and tried it.

RC

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: What Autodesk Giveth Autodesk Taketh
on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:09:37 am

Sage advice RC. For me Smoke makes me pause like Lance before jumping into a grunty WIN box with CS6. I suspect I may do that anyway just to cover some other bases like da Vinci Resolve on a WIN screamer with a Decklink card and keep FCS Legacy/ Kona on the Mac but seriously consider a Lion partition with Smoke to trial in June. At all costs I need to keep FCS3 viable until I can have an orderly transition.

Next week I am grading an AVID DNx job on da Vinci but finishing the online in FCS3. Love to be able to have a tight integration of grade & finish on a single sytem or at least a solid round trip like PP and Speedgrade offers.

Nothing happening seriously until software can be trialed. And no tight deadline jobs until early bug fixes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]