on Apr 15, 2012 at 7:40:15 pm

Some of the things to make the villagers rejoice

excerpts
Here are the bullet points (none of this was demoed):

Multichannel Audio Editing Tools
Dual Viewers
MXF Plug-in Support
RED camera support

Dual Viewers is analogous to Source and Record monitors; though Apple stressed that when they implement a feature they try to do it better than it has been done before.

it needed to convert MXF to QuickTime. In the future, FCP X won’t need to make this conversion.

RED camera support means that we would not need to convert RED footage to QuickTime, but would be able to edit RED files natively.

these four would not be the only features released

I also got a sense they are working on another application to join FCP X, Motion, and Compressor.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Apple tells about features coming in 2012 to Final Cut Pro X
on Apr 15, 2012 at 7:46:21 pm

dual viewers is a satisfying climb down. Now all we have to do is beat the magnetic trackless carry on out of them and things might be getting somewhere ;)

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:08:57 pm

while i'm not a big fan of ol' magneticy either, i'd really like to see them implement some way to organize roles in the timeline. right now i find it to be a mess. that would help visually organize things for me. hopefully the multi-channel mixer is a step toward that.

dual-viewers, yes please... like yesterday, please.

and thanks to larry for pushing apple on getting in and out points to stick.

10.0.4 seems more stable, so hoping it keeps moving in the right direction. broadcast out on my kona 3 is better, but still not 100%.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:09:37 pm

I'm not sure about magnetism but I'd guess Roles will grow features which allow one to display each role on a horizontal plane like a track. I'd describe as a form of virtual tracks.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:13:10 pm

That's exactly what I've been hoping and pestering apple about on their feedback page. Hoping the "virtual tracks" could react like buckets that would auto-assign roles as you drop clips into them. This is would be a huge incentive to get me to use the program more - especially with channel assignments.

Michael Garber

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:36:29 pm

yeah - that actually sounds ok - also keywords shortcuts on a per project basis: as in more than nine, and attached to the project or event. only having nine shortcuts globally at the app level doesn't cut it.

also a much better way to manage projects - just a flat out gui re-think there. tear off tabs or something. also some way of forking the save that doesn't involve project duplication - those things run into hundreds of megs at the drop of a hat, duplicating like that every time you want to park an edit version is insane.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:28:41 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "dual viewers is a satisfying climb down. Now all we have to do is beat the magnetic trackless carry on out of them and things might be getting somewhere ;)"

Yey team!!! I guess it does pay to stick in the fight after all Aidreas.

If we had listened to Mr. Davis, Craig, and Steve, all of whom (I believe) said a second viewer would never happen, we'd never have gotten anywhere.

As it stands now, it seems clearer heads at Apple may have suddenly adopted a new strategy they had previously rejected, i.e. that listening to those who may not necessarily agree with them might ultimately be of some value.

I seriously doubt it, but perhaps some day one of more of the Apple apologists on this forum will come to the realization that theirs is not the only one that holds water? :)

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:35:33 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "If we had listened to Mr. Davis, Craig, and Steve, all of whom (I believe) said a second viewer would never happen, we'd never have gotten anywhere.
"

You believe wrong

[David Roth Weiss] "I seriously doubt it, but perhaps some day one of more of the Apple apologists on this forum will come to the realization that theirs is not the only one that holds water? :)"

As opposed to the "haters" who believe theirs is the only one that does too.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:55:59 pm

Actually I posted at one point how I thought Ganging was for example and when FCPX Multicam came out, that they now had the model to add ganging back in. I think the two up / dual monitor will be contextual, not always on. According to Larry, Apple said they would do it better than before so it's likely to be different than the traditional, alway on, source record . . . just as the use of ganging is contextual to multicam.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:58:26 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Yey team!!! I guess it does pay to stick in the fight after all Aidreas."

Ha! If Apple know this place even exists david, I'd say they've placed a large sticker on it labelled "frothing at the mouth, under no circumstances approach."

Reckon that goes for both sides really.

I think they've just gotten an almighty kicking from the entire industry of paid editing, I watched the editors lounge pre-nab talk you referenced earlier - uber fascinating as ever, but in a room of paid editors when they asked who was using X, two people put up their hand out of over a hundred, and one of them was phillip hodgetts (he shouted a lot during the talk didn't he?) there was plenty of 7, premiere and avid, but virtually no X.

its not the pie throwing on this forum that's got them in turnaround, I'd argue its the near complete industry rejection of the application. Apple can talk about pucks as much as they want - if nearly everyone who gets paid to edit, or employs people to edit, tells Apple to get lost and throws FCPX back in their face, then they're playing a lonely game of hockey.

A year later we've got evan schechtman who's been in the tank since day one, and one other US facility Apple can point to - that and a german guy. I'm not saying that's bad, but its not really a lot.

Reconsidering something like the viewer is interesting though - because I highly doubt that is a place Ubillos wanted to go back to. He's having to bend to reality, not impose it. I doubt we'll ever again see Ubillos demo FCPX in a professional setting.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 16, 2012 at 12:26:56 am

[David Roth Weiss] "If we had listened to Mr. Davis, Craig, and Steve, all of whom (I believe) said a second viewer would never happen, we'd never have gotten anywhere. "

The funny thing is that it's already in there, just have a look at the multicam viewer.

Add more traditional viewer functionality, and there's your viewer.

I don't think this was never not in the plans, it just is taking a while to get everything released.

They shouldn't have done it this way, but I sincerely thank Apple for turning this industry on its head, again.

There are really cool and affordable tools coming to market, and I think it has a bit to do with Apple killing FCS. It forced developers to focus. I'm cool with that as who do you think will ultimately benefit from this new focus?

Yes, it hurts a little bit presently, but eventually things will settle and we will behold our future full of opportunity and enthusiasm. Heh heh heh. Hee hee hee.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:43:13 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Now all we have to do is beat the magnetic trackless carry on out of them and things might be getting somewhere ;)"

Why? Because all NLE's MUST be the same?, hell there's a shed load of choice out there at the moment and it's getting better every day, everybody (including me) is very impressed with CS6, Avid Symphony is now a giveaway for those fans of 90's editing and it looks like Smoke may be about to evolve into something cool.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Flavio G. García
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:56:17 pm

It´s so funny that, just today, I've have posted an article on my blog, evaluating the state of FCP X a year after its announcement, and some of the things I still don't like a lot are announced also just today to be improved and implemented by Apple.

Do you want to me to complain in another post, so Apple give us what we want the same day?

;)

Flavio G. Garc

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:02:40 pm

Couldn't hurt! ;)

Michael Garber

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:09:26 pm

[Flavio G. García] "Do you want to me to complain in another post, so Apple give us what we want the same day? ;)"

Definitely!!!

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:05:20 pm

that's actually very true. By the middle of this year, I'm going to have a system with PPro 6, Avid Symphony and FCPX on a beefed up 27" iMac.

Craaaazy town.

In truth, the demise of 7 has worked rather well from a certain perspective: that is the perspective where I am about to get symphony for a little over 800 of the queen's pounds! Also I really like the look of PPro 6. seeing how far Adobe had taken 6 settled things down for me. that gets to be the most likely FCP now in terms of what FCP was, and that really suit me to a tee. I spend half my day in AE anyway. Adobe landing 6 is the best thing that's happened so far.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:19:33 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Adobe landing 6 is the best thing that's happened so far."

Unless Autodesk are about to shake it all up even more

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:38:09 pm

Don't say "shake"! ;-)

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Apr 15, 2012 at 11:38:52 pm

LOL re "don't say Shake"

Doug D

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Apr 16, 2012 at 5:49:04 am

Yeah that's the question isn't it. Does FCP X evolve into FCP 8? If that's what they end up doing more or less then they sure shed a few loyal customers along the way. I for one have moved on but I still like watching to whole scene with all of the actors play out. It's a soap opera for geeks. It just needs to get a little romance involved.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 16, 2012 at 1:29:49 pm

One BIG change is that Apple realizes they have to talk about the roadmap.
I'm not sure how much of a difference that would have made for many because many editors can't wait 12-24 months to see features reinvented. I think that Apple had no transition, as they had with OS9 to OSX or PPC to Intel, was a problem. Even if they EOL'd if they continued to sell and support it, some would have found that serviceable while FCPX grew. Some had been waiting for improvements since 2007 though and considered 2009 update minor and wouldn't have wanted to continue living in a 32 bit world and transcoding or rewrapping everything to mov.

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 16, 2012 at 7:50:53 pm

" It just needs to get a little romance involved"

Keep it quiet, but when Bill gets back from nab I'm proposing.

Return to posts index

Anders Haavie
on Apr 16, 2012 at 5:25:07 am

It's a shame that everyone I know have jumped ship. There are no editors in broadcasting that I know of using FCP X.

Anders

Xraid-Xserve-Xsan-Xeverything

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 16, 2012 at 5:28:05 am

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 16, 2012 at 6:32:20 am

I'm not so sure I want 2 monitors after all.

I am so used to skimming, using the event browser, the fact that the monitor switches so seamlessly, that
2 monitors will just clutter up the window.

This must have been the original thinking, to de-clutter.

However the proposed audio editing tools will be most welcome.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 16, 2012 at 1:23:01 pm

[Mark Dobson] "I'm not so sure I want 2 monitors after all."

Larry noted Apple said it will be better than before. I suspect the big change is that it will be contextual. I think once they did the coding for multicam (which is of course contextual), they had the foundation to bring back Dual View as needed as well as Ganging.

One guess might be that, while skimming, one can hit a key and it opens into a bigger view in a separate window while the other window displays where the timeline playhead is parked.

Right now when trimming in the timeline you do get a good two up if you're using the mouse but not the keyboard. I suspect using the keyboard will eventually also call up the two up.

I also suspect Ganging will come back because it's used in multicam.

My own guess, but as they develop Roles I wouldn't be surprised if it'll include a function to display Roles horizontally (like tracks).

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Apr 17, 2012 at 3:49:06 pm

First - a fan note to Craig

love your posts -- you are endlessly optimistic -- but i googled Craig Seeman and "suspect" as in "I suspect Apple will do this/that/the other thing"

came up with 2790 hits!

More suspects than a good Columbo episode!

Seriously, I suspect most editors, (there google me - my first suspect entry!) as Walter Biscardi discovered at NAB have had it with Apple and FCPX. The new breakthrough features are simply nailing functions back on that were ripped off the fuselage in the first place.

And for everyone who cheer-leads the program and dismisses the dinosaur editors who "just can't change with the times" - you forget we were the BIGGEST FCP cheerleaders -- changing to a new, better, editor centric program and sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for the next release

Go watch the editor's lounge part 2 (below)

http://vimeo.com/channels/editorslounge#40363040

and Watch the manager from Bunim Murray say how he was in on the beta testing...told Apple what didn't work....and how Apple ignored EVERYTHING he suggested. This wasn't a part-time prosumer editor - he may have been FCP's biggest professional volume customer.

Before dismissing this as just another FCPX complainer -- I desperately wanted this to work and not have to spend a month learning AVID and finding work arounds for the incredibly easy one click effects and transitions in FCP 7 -- a year later the program's still buggy - audio still is unusable for mixing in the program (sorry even range selecting and "ducking" is not real time mixing) Still no export segments (really, how hard can that be?) and on and on....Apple - you make incredible products - I've been with you since the beige 128K first Mac Box that ran on a floppy....but this was an epic fail....you were ahead of your time with the NEWTON but it failed with consumers

I "suspect" this is not a fail with consumers, but with Broadcast and Film pros who lifted FCP legacy into orbit.

Wish it wasn't so

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 17, 2012 at 4:15:03 pm

[Andy Field] " a year later the program's still buggy - audio still is unusable for mixing in the program (sorry even range selecting and "ducking" is not real time mixing"

Buggy is getting better and better audio mixing is coming

[Andy Field] "Still no export segments (really, how hard can that be?)"

I know it's stupid that it's not there, but copying and pasting your selected segments into an empty project is a very easy workaround for the moment

[Andy Field] "And for everyone who cheer-leads the program and dismisses the dinosaur editors who "just can't change with the times""

That doesn't really happen on here anymore.

(Almost) all of us who use FCPX on here, know it's shortcomings, as did people that used the early versions of FCP Legacy, however I like the way it works, it fits my workflow and I'm keen to see where Apple are going to take it, however I also understand why other people wouldn't wish to use it.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 17, 2012 at 4:19:01 pm

My own hunch,
whether it's exporting selected segments, the inability to copy/paste individual effects, the inability to save in/out, all point to issues with handling the metadata in the database. I think these will all be solved in some fashion or another as they expand the workings of the underlying database.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Apr 17, 2012 at 6:27:29 pm

[Craig Seeman] "...all point to issues with handling the metadata in the database. I think these will all be solved in some fashion or another as they expand the workings of the underlying database."
Hi
All that is I guess down to OS X and an emerging substructure of 'CoreData' APIs.
I've been doing some long-form writing recently and legacy tools like Word (and Safari for research, FileMaker for 'data') are horrendously ill-thought-out for the preparatory selection, sorting and assembly of background information, and for re-working (re-working, re-working!) all this miscellaneous text into an organised final draft.

Metadata is everything for me. Management of it needs to be a background OS (iOS) task that pervades the desktop and is unified into every running application's work space...

And once the writing is accomplished then I've got to go over it all again to rework the words with the video/stills from the original sources to bring it into FCP X (maybe...) to do the movie of the book ;-)

That's where my puck needs to be.... (wishfully!)

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 17, 2012 at 7:17:24 pm

[Steve Connor] "That doesn't really happen on here anymore."

While I agree that that is mostly the case, it does erupt from time to time like a nasty cold sore virus. Of course, the antithesis flares up with about the same rapidity and fervor. Sort of like old warriors striving to forget:

http://www.myspace.com/video/kornstalx/fawlty-towers-the-germans-clip/22575...

Return to posts index

Anders Haavie
on Apr 17, 2012 at 6:13:05 pm

Just my thoughts exactly. Being very dissapointed in FCP, and looking around for an alternative app. I introduced FCP at the broadcasting agency I am working now and there are about 30 seats with FCP running nonstop reality productions.

I have the same experience with Avid than you. Trying to relearn what I left years ago. Trying to overcome some of the strange shortcomings (reconnect ?!) I have given up on fcp and people are getting rid of their fcps.

It's a shame and I have a hard time undertanding that the FCP team have screwed up so insanely.

Anders

Xraid-Xserve-Xsan-Xeverything

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]