FORUMS: list search recent posts

My Spanish evaluation of the "State of FCP X", a year after its presentation.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flavio G. García
My Spanish evaluation of the "State of FCP X", a year after its presentation.
on Apr 15, 2012 at 12:12:10 pm

Hello friends:

I've just completed a deep post about the state of FCP X, after a year using it, and teaching it.

It's in Spanish. Sorry.

In case you want to have a look, go here:

http://lamovioladigital.blogspot.com.es/2012/04/final-cut-pro-x-1004-critic...

Regards.

Flavio G. García

Flavio G. Garc

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
Re: My Spanish evaluation of the "State of FCP X", a year after its presentation.
on Apr 15, 2012 at 1:03:10 pm

If you could give us a brief summary in English here that would be terrific.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: My Spanish evaluation of the "State of FCP X", a year after its presentation.
on Apr 15, 2012 at 1:25:57 pm

Translated by Google

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 3:06:20 pm

The article does a good job describing why I like FCPX very succinctly too.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 15, 2012 at 4:17:22 pm

What fun to read.

It's like an article length version of the adorable "translated" assembly instructions for a complicated kids Christmas toy - only a bit more surreal.

It's also pretty amazing that we live in a world where a couple of clicks on the web will decode another language instantly to give us the sense of the thoughts of someone expressing themselves from within another culture.

It's also cool that if you select anything in the artical, you get the original Spanish text and can perhaps sense how the computer translation relates (for better or worse) to the original.

The power of the searchable, globally connected world continues to reveal itself.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 15, 2012 at 4:23:37 pm

I was amazed at how accurate the translation was. A couple of minor things here and there but over all great.

RC

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Apr 15, 2012 at 7:39:04 pm

Interesting (and not entirely off-topic) discussion of google's automated translation:

http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/04/15/whistling-pigs-german-adventures-wi...

Franz.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 4:25:38 pm

Waiting for the day TVs can do both auto subtitling and captioning by "hearing" the words. No titling or captioning needed. Imagine also translating already displayed titles as well. I suspect that will happen.

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 4:44:22 pm

He says background rendering occurs WHILST you do other stuff which NO OTHER NLE DOES.

My understanding is background rendering was just automatic rendering that occurred whilst you WEREN'T doing something.

Either my understanding is wrong or people keep banging on about this awesome feature that doesn't actually exist. Though I'm getting quite used to FC10 championing being rather selective when it ones to reality.

So am I wrong? Does it indeed render whilst you work. Or is it faux and more marketing nonsense that is being pushed into the realm of urban myth?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Apr 15, 2012 at 4:58:13 pm

[Jules bowman] "He says background rendering occurs WHILST you do other stuff which NO OTHER NLE DOES.

My understanding is background rendering was just automatic rendering that occurred whilst you WEREN'T doing something. "

Background processing (transcode to Pro Res, copy source files, analyze footage) does happen in the background, even while working in the app. Rendering only happens when the mouse is idle (when enabled in the preferences).

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 15, 2012 at 5:03:15 pm

[Jules bowman] "He says background rendering occurs WHILST you do other stuff which NO OTHER NLE DOES.

My understanding is background rendering was just automatic rendering that occurred whilst you WEREN'T doing something.

Either my understanding is wrong or people keep banging on about this awesome feature that doesn't actually exist. Though I'm getting quite used to FC10 championing being rather selective when it ones to reality.
"

You're right, it's mostly not background rendering as such and most people who know FCPX actually turn it off. I wish people wouldn't claim it does, it just makes more food for the trolls

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 5:16:25 pm

Indeed it does.

Though at the same time, those that extoll shouldn't possibly get it right.

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:46:23 pm

How can I criticise about getting it right when I used shouldn't instead of should.

Shame on me.

Shame.

Return to posts index

Gary Slickman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 5:19:01 pm

[Jules bowman] "Either my understanding is wrong or people keep banging on about this awesome feature that doesn't actually exist. Though I'm getting quite used to FC10 championing being rather selective when it ones to reality. "

Maybe you meant ..."when it ones or zeroes to reality"...or is the Google translator just frighteningly superior to our everyday spelling and grammar checkers? ;)

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 7:13:15 pm

Comes too. Typo but cheers for pointing it out.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 15, 2012 at 7:19:49 pm

I article well interesting found.

Tool all like other any NLE learn need.

Learn easier think i not.

Return to posts index

Gary Slickman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 7:47:44 pm

"Not be able to send a clip or a portion of a clip from the timeline of Final Cut Pro to Motion X 5, without need to export, is police court."

Just a priceless bit of translation!

Return to posts index

Flavio G. García
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:29:06 pm

LOL.

Guys! You're too funny! :)

I had a laugh reading the translated version too.

Funny when it translates "montar" (to edit) to "ride".

"I ride a lot in FCP X".

Anyway, I asure you my English grammar is better than that! I actually blog a lot in English, but I'm afraid I just don't have the time to translate this particular post these days.

And, about the "Background rendering" controversy, this is probably because of the translation, but
I never say rendering in particular happens while you play. I speak about Background processes in general, and the example I give is about archiving a card, importing-copying from it, and transcoding, wich do happen in the background, even if you play video.

Yes, we all know rendering in particular pauses if you do something, but my point was none of this processes (and I again, my example was about archiving, copying, transcoding) stop you from editing, in opposition of other NLE's, that I also love, where if you do any of this, you can't use the program until this processes get done.

It's probably a semantic thing, anyway.

What I try is to give a balanced view, with a list of good stuff and bad stuff.

I you follow my blog (sorry, Spanish only), you will learn that I use and teach all major NLE's. I just hate the anti-Apple pro-Apple thing...

Keep riding your editors!

Flavio G. García

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:15:33 pm

My understanding is background rendering was just automatic rendering that occurred whilst you WEREN'T doing something. "

Does it really matter at all if it someone's definition of "background rendering" is the same, mostly the same, mostly different, or entirely different than mine. That's insignificant to my thinking.

The truth is that .001 percent of potential users will pick their NLE because of how it handles rendering. The rest of the world will select their tool on how it fits their editing thinking and how it handles the jobs they need to do. And "rendering" is but a very small part of that for most editors.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:28:29 pm

[Bill Davis] "The truth is that .001 percent of potential users will pick their NLE because of how it handles rendering. The rest of the world will select their tool on how it fits their editing thinking and how it handles the jobs they need to do. "

Background rendering is the feature. Speed is the benefit -- specifically, reduced time between finishing an edit and final output.

That is something that people with time-sensitive workflows may well pick an NLE for.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Flavio G. García
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:38:52 pm

I've just found lots of errors in the translation.

Where it says "Outstanding improvements", it should say "Pending improvements", wich is exactly the opposite thing!

So, you could be interpreting the wrong way.

That's my list of things to improve.

Regards.

Flavio G. García

Flavio G. Garc

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 8:30:32 pm

haha, so let me get this right, Giving incorrect information as an 'oooh, no one else does it' part of the justification for choosing an NLE is perfectly fine despite it misinforming people and therefore reducing their ability to make an informed decision because, um, misinformation is 'insignificant to your thinking'.

Oh, I hate using these but this is a real lmao moment. Thank you.

Well, i've been using Premier Pro CS6 inensively for about 7 months now, and not only does it intuitively place clips on the timeline for me, ALWAYS correctly second guessing me (not sure how they do it but golly gosh it's awesome and no other NLE does that yet, but watch them follow) it also trims clips using an invisible algorithm that appears to perfectly emulate the very essence of what you, the editor, is attempting to achieve within the piece you are doing, ensuring that cuts are so wonderfully balanced that you may actually get a little excited down below.

For all the positivity being spoken about FC10, it DOES NOT do this. Sure it is simplified and easy to pick up which is what you want if you don't have the time to learn an editing app, but what it does not do, nor will it ever do due to the limitations of its trackless paradigm, is being able to intuitively edit for you like CS6 does. And this isn't a trick or a marketing gimick, CS6 learns from your first initial placements and from a few metadata keywords you tap in at the start of the project, even considering the music you wish to underpin it with if you are doing that, and simply figures out what it is you want. Perfectly. Every time. It's like the puck got picked up and stuffed in your, and only your, pocket.

It is frigging amazing and doesn't need 4 point upgrades to work, it simply works right off the bat.

genius.

Oh

"Does it really matter at all if it your definition of "background rendering" is the same, mostly the same, mostly different, or entirely different than mine. That's insignificant to my thinking."

Yes, it matters because it was a selling point from the start and basically a fallacy, or some may call a lie. They said it renders in the background whilst you work. It doesn't. Therefore it is a lie. Repeated in that piece as urban myth becoming fact.

Personally, when someone lies to me to try and part me from my money I tend to think rather lowly of that individual. I may even wee in their cocktail. Though there's no guarantee of that.

Return to posts index

Flavio G. García
on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:41:35 pm

Jules, with all due respect, I am amazed by your warmongering and tone.

Again, I use and teach all three major NLE's, and, if you read carefully my post, you will find
that I'm pro-everything, as I keep saying they're all good, they're all capable, it's personal choice, etc..

So, you use Premiere Pro? Brilliant!

I love it too, and I teach it, and I will write an article about CS6 very soon, but this one was about FCP X.

In any case, I'm not interested in conversations with a fighting atitude, so I'll end this one with you here.

Regards.

Flavio G. García

Flavio G. Garc

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:44:49 pm

With all due respect mate, we weren't talking. I was replying to Bill believing misinformation is irrelevant.

You missed a rather large dash of irony. How can I have been using CS6 for 7 months?

On the flip side, FC10 doesn't, it transpires, do background rendering. So despite not liking my tone, you've learnt something.

Hurrah.

Return to posts index

Flavio G. García
on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:54:17 pm

Yes, I missed the irony.

And yes, I think your atitude is still warmongering and borders arrogance, whatever your words were headed to me or to anyone else.

Chill out, mate.

Flavio G. Garc

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 15, 2012 at 10:15:07 pm

I'd hardly call anything I said warmongering. But hey ho.

And, um, having an opinion isn't arrogant. Being challenging to what I consider fallacies isn't arrogant. If everyone was to agree with everyone and we just went 'yeah, the latest upgrade of FCP was awesome' well, then this forum wouldn't have much debate.

In fact, the opinion you are criticising is perfectly valid. Misinformation isn't irrelevant. And to dismiss a concern that this Apple marketing spin (background rendering) is becoming fact because of misinformed opinion is irrelevant, well, that's just not right and I for one am happy to say that I believe that isn't right.

People come on here, so i often read, to learn about others' opinions on FC10 and thus aid in their decision making process. Perhaps to many £300 isn't much, but if you buy something that isn't what you were lead to believe it was, then £300 is wasted, and to some that is a lot. So, it doesn't background render, like all the other NLEs don't background render. And now someone who may not have known that but heard it does, will know that if they read this thread.

See how you're a catalyst for others becoming more informed. That's wonderful.

I think you're being overly sensitive though.

Chill out mate.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 16, 2012 at 12:06:50 am

[Jules bowman] "With all due respect mate, we weren't talking. I was replying to Bill believing misinformation is irrelevant.
"

(in a calm and respectful tone:)

I do not "believe" that misinformation is irrelevant. And never posted any such thing.

So please don't impute thoughts to me by name unless you do so accurately.

You have decided that apple's information is "misinformation" - that's your opinion. Fine. Just understand that unless everyone agrees that you are allowed to define what "background rendering" needs to be for everyone, your concept is not particularly relevant for some of us.

The new convention in X is to allow the user to set a period of inactivity, after which the software goes to work rendering whatever needs to be rendered. For those of us who actually use the software daily for work, we've learned how to use that smartly. And it's a very nice advance over Legacy in an area that is "nice" for me, but hardly mission critical.

Let me help you understand why I say that.

I have two systems. I use X on my MacBook Pro - and I use it on my bigger but older desktop system.

On the bigger, but slower system, I have background rendering (and that's what I get to call it since whether anyone else likes it or not!) entirely turned off. That increases performance on that particular systems slower processors.

On my laptop (dual core i7) the performance is so good that I leave it turned on and generally set to 2 seconds of idle prior to render initiation.

i'm experienced enough to change these settings on either machine depending on whether the timeline is long or short, the edit is simple or complex, or my deadline is rough or relaxed.

Finally, I'm glad you like Premier Pro. I hope you edit successfully and are delighted for your entire span of time using it.

I'm personally delighted with X. I feel I'm editing much faster than ever before, and actually, the editing itself is only about half of what really excites me about the program. Of the top 25 or so features that I don't want to lose to go back to my pervious editing software (I've been a FCP editor since April of 1999)
rendering isn't even on the list.

It's a "checkoff" for me. X renders faster than I'm used to. But again, "fast rendering" is not the core of what I need. It may be for you. If so, fine.

Rendering isn't particularly relevant to what's changing my entire approach to my video production practice and what I'm starting to build toward offering my clients these days.

X has sparked in me, a huge departure from the way I used to think about video production.
I find myself shedding years of preconceptions and looking at things very differently because of what I've learned studying X.

I fully understand that most people just want to keep editing the way they've edited for years - just faster - however I don't think "faster" is the key to the game any more. I think all that separates people who can edit fast from those who can't is money for hardware and time in the seat developing muscle memory in operating the software interface. And unfortunately neither one of those form any kind of a "competitive advantage" in a world where no matter what crowd you stand in, you can't throw a handful of beans without hitting a couple of video editors.

So again, "rendering" isn't particularly important to me right now.

If it is for you, great. Keep focused on it.

And if you want to remain stuck on how another software company is wrong in the terminology they used to describe their way of looking at rendering - feel free to obsess on it as much as you like.

How you spend your time is your business.

Take care.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 16, 2012 at 1:00:58 am

Legacy had background rendering toO then. When I stop editing I hit render and bam! Background rendering. I set mine to a second. Those of us who use it daily to earn a living learnt this years ago.

Bill, I'm aware you do a refined line in blinkered delusion with copious amounts of passive aggressive patronisation, but however you hold the picture frame Apple said FC10 had background rendering as a big selling point and it doesn't. It renders while you don't work. It starts automatically. That isn't background rendering. At all. That's not me deciding it for everyone, it's just logical and obvious really.

My point isn't that I need rendering or I even give an arse about background rendering, my point was misinformation becoming fact and a part of the justification for what I see as premature and slightly cultish crowing about a souped up version of iMovie that, I promise you, will NEVER achieve the status FCP reached before being ditched.

I'm really glad for you that you are so thrilled with keywords. It must give hours of fun for you and as an added bonus keeps the grey matter active so you won't need to resort to crosswords, or boggle. That's blinding bill, every little helps after all. But FC10 doesn't do background rendering and Apple lied and still lie about it. And the OP perpetuated that lie.

And that, my dear chap, was my whole point. Which is pretty indisputable.

In addition, CS6 isn't out yet, so, um, yeah.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 16, 2012 at 6:49:46 am

[Jules bowman] "But FC10 doesn't do background rendering and Apple lied and still lie about it. And the OP perpetuated that lie. "

Well, you've certainly made your position crystal clear.

And I supposed it's useful that you've finally uncovered Apples grand plot to put something over on the entire editing world through their insidious use of crafty marketing language wrapped inside evil mis-direction.

Now that you've exposed their pathology, I'm sure that abashed by your arch analysis, they will henceforth to be more sensitive to senior citizens and less abusive to cats and small children as well.

And just think, without you, none of us would have ever suspected the true nature of Apple.

Sleep well, sir. you're work here is ever so well done.

(and in case you're missing my cleverly disguised tone, no, I'm not being passive aggressive in any way, shape or form - a term that gained popularity long ago when applied, IIRC, to Mohandas Gandhi - but simply sarcastic.)

Have a nice evening.

No posts for a while. Off to NAB in the morning.

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 16, 2012 at 7:40:27 am

Winning post Bill. Winning.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]