http://www.retooled.net/?p=302

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: Premiere Pro CS6 – Trim Tools
on Apr 12, 2012 at 8:53:01 am

New tools look great - but not good enough to match the action on 2 different types of hits: set & spike - a tad embarrassing. Editor's Job #1 Attention to details... :)

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Apr 12, 2012 at 11:01:28 am

Didn't the editor start by stating the footage was some stock shots thrown together and he didn't care about them but rather they were just there to show the CS6 features.

In which case I don't see what is embarrassing for him. I guess attention to detail is important and the detail there was that the edits weren't an example of his ability whatsoever.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 12, 2012 at 6:26:11 pm

Exactly, I was so distracted by the trim he was trying to make that I barely paid attention to the tool.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Apr 12, 2012 at 11:19:26 am

Is there a tool similar to Avid's trim tool? I have only played with Avid briefly but I loved the trim tool in it. In particular I loved how you could play past the edit point and view the unused portion of the outgoing clip, then update the edit on the fly. I've probably done a poor job of explaining that. hopefully someone knows what I mean..

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 12, 2012 at 11:47:30 am

I watched a tutorial on that for avid, I think I know what you mean - I don't think PPro 6 has got the full hulk out avid trim mode carry on from what I watched in the demo, but the stuff implemented here strikes me as totally respectable like.

the trim tools stand at the very least even with and ahead of FCP legacy, the fact that that demo would tempt me into trim mode in the first place puts it ahead of FCP legacy.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 12, 2012 at 7:10:24 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "the trim tools stand at the very least even with and ahead of FCP legacy, the fact that that demo would tempt me into trim mode in the first place puts it ahead of FCP legacy."

Aindreas,
Premiere Pro CS6 is light years ahead of FCP 7 and earlier when it comes to timeline trimming and trim mode. As a pro trainer, internal editor, and tech writer on the FCP team, I can say this with absolute certainty. I think it blows away any NLE I've ever worked on.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 12, 2012 at 7:13:41 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "As a pro trainer, internal editor, and tech writer on the FCP team, I can say this with absolute certainty. I think it blows away any NLE I've ever worked on.
"

Them's fighting words......

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 12, 2012 at 7:18:43 pm

[Steve Connor] "Them's fighting words......"

Then put up your dukes! lol

Seriously, come to NAB and let me show you the ropes. I think even the most dyed in the wool editor will be significantly impressed. I say this with over 20 years of editing experience: CMX, Avid, M100, FCP, and Premiere Pro.

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 12, 2012 at 7:25:59 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "Then put up your dukes! lol "

No fight from me, but I think some Avid folks may like to take a shot.

Seriously though, trim improvements look great.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 12, 2012 at 7:35:41 pm

Thanks for the comment.

I'd love to revisit my Avid training and actually see if there are things that Premiere Pro can't do. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 12, 2012 at 8:01:15 pm

hey - I was only trying to sound reasonable.. :) and I'm a slob of an editor anyway, its definitely got enough going on for me..

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:16:25 pm

From the looks of it, CS6's trim is the closest thing to an Avid trim clone that I've seen. The guy in the demo uses a the mouse more than he needs to (probably for visual entertainment sake) - but it looks like they just did a feature-for-feature copy of Avid.

The only difference I see is that they haven't done the "rock and roll" feature. This is exactly why that editor couldn't get the exact frame in that video :p looks like he needs that feature.

Return to posts index

Gordon Modin
on Apr 12, 2012 at 2:26:01 pm

Daniel, by "rock and roll" feature do you mean using the j, k, and l keys to slowly move back and forth to find the exact edit point? It's there in Premiere CS6 and it's fabulous!!

Gordon

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 12, 2012 at 7:13:45 pm

[Daniel Frome] "From the looks of it, CS6's trim is the closest thing to an Avid trim clone that I've seen. The guy in the demo uses a the mouse more than he needs to (probably for visual entertainment sake) - but it looks like they just did a feature-for-feature copy of Avid. "

Yes, it's beyond Avid in a number of ways, actually. For example, you can trim multiple edit points on the same track. So if you had a stills montage and each one was 10 seconds. you could marquee all the edit points, enter a keyboard shortcut, and trim them all by the same amount.

[Daniel Frome] "The only difference I see is that they haven't done the "rock and roll" feature. This is exactly why that editor couldn't get the exact frame in that video :p looks like he needs that feature."

JKL rock 'n roll? Works great! More videos are forthcoming, this is just the first. The editor's name is Josh Weiss, BTW.

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:40:30 am

I'm 98% sure you can edit multiple trim points on the same track on avid as well. Its not something I do, but I remember running across that feature in training.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 12, 2012 at 7:06:25 pm

[Christopher Travis] "Is there a tool similar to Avid's trim tool? I have only played with Avid briefly but I loved the trim tool in it. In particular I loved how you could play past the edit point and view the unused portion of the outgoing clip, then update the edit on the fly. I've probably done a poor job of explaining that. hopefully someone knows what I mean.."

In Premiere Pro CS6, you can trim in an Avid style trim mode. It can do more things than Avid, in my experience. In trim mode, you can edit on the fly with the JKL keys.

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]