FORUMS: list search recent posts

OK, what's going on with Smoke?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TImothy Auld
OK, what's going on with Smoke?
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:05:08 am

I know that Evan Schectman is presenting at the CPUG Supermeet about this but beyond a short thread I haven't heard boo about it. For the last four or five years I have been looking for a surprise at NAB an this year I think this is it. Are there so many people out the operating on NDA's that no one can say anything about this?

Tim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: OK, what's going on with Smoke?
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:13:19 am

Did you miss this thread?
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/30204

Seems Apple's buying it, selling it for $995 for six months and killing it or something like that ;)

So maybe Evan decided to use Smoke as an NLE instead of FCPX . . . because Smoke is now trackless.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:24:17 am

No, read it and didn't miss it. But unless something has changed radically I think Evan Schectman is still committed to FCP X. I read that only last week. So that makes me wonder what is going to be announced at the Supermeet. I really wish I could be there. Damn work that pays my bills is keeping me away.

Tim

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:26:59 am

I think someone below whose in the know said the changes in Smoke had something to do with FCP7. Which is strange given that FCP7 is dead. Ressurection?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:30:39 am

What till the NAB news starts getting posted. Just a few more days.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:32:23 am

Yes, that is exactly what I want to know. But in advance of an announcement I will take rumor, speculation. surmise, or whatever. I feel this is the biggest thing coming at 2012 NAB. Why is no one else interested in this?

Tim

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:34:37 am

Both Adobe and Autodesk will be the booths to watch.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:36:29 am

Ya think?

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:46:50 am

If this is supposed to be the forum that is looking forward and hoping to guide us poor, clueless folks in to the future then it is not working. Everywhere I go someone is whispering Smoke in my ear. It's not that I am even looking for specifics. I am just looking for a modicum of interest in the subject. Anybody?

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:19:28 am

I guess the only question left is will it be purchased. At the price point they appear to be heading for I'm guessing no. These are after all the folks that took Dvision and made it into Edit. And then -shall we say - uh, incommoded a fair number of editors. So they clearly have a great deal of good will out there.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:38:28 am

Everyone that knows is under NDA.

A few more days, we will know.

http://ryansalazar.net/index.php/2012/03/smoke-mac-nab-2012-announcement/

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
Does smoke run on imac
on Apr 11, 2012 at 4:05:03 am

If it doesn't then what can it be for mac users?

RC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Does smoke run on imac
on Apr 11, 2012 at 4:15:45 am

With so many people on this forum absolutely convinced the MacPro is EOL without replacement, what's it going to run on?

Ahhh, i figured it out. Smoke for iPad at just $499!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 11, 2012 at 4:55:45 am

[Craig Seeman] "With so many people on this forum absolutely convinced the MacPro is EOL without replacement, what's it going to run on?"

An iMac or MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt (though I don't think there's currently any supported video output in that configuration.)

http://area.autodesk.com/smokec/news/smoke_on_your_laptop_promise_pegasus_s...

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/marc-andre/test-11

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
Apparently Autodesk is convinced of no more Mac Pro
on Apr 16, 2012 at 3:49:30 am

What can you say when they make such an app for Imac and not a mention of Mac Pro which would make this app scream. Not even a windows version.

O well Something to do while Apple puts a source monitor in fcpx.

RC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Apparently Autodesk is convinced of no more Mac Pro
on Apr 16, 2012 at 3:57:34 am

[Richard Cardonna] "Apparently Autodesk is convinced of no more Mac Pro"

Have you looked at Apple's Final Cut Pro In Action section of their website. There's no mention of the MacPro in the toolset and, in fact, Evan Schechtman's company RadicalMedia, one of the Smoke presenters, is one of the featured companies.

If you've been reading the forum you'd know that many of us suspect the MacPro will be replaced. It won't be a MacPro though. It could be a Xeon CPUd headless box or it could be an iMacPro with Xeon CPUs. I'd note that HP now has a Xeop powered all in one called the Z1 (although I'm not impressed with the specs).

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:07:09 am

Yes I know And I hope it is as you say but their is also no evidence to sustain your statement.

RC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:17:28 am

[Richard Cardonna] "their is also no evidence to sustain your statement. "

None whatsoever but with new CPUs and new Thunderbolt chips and apparently nVidia drivers in Mountain Lion there's enough for one to speculate. We'll probably know in a few weeks.

One thing is for certain. Apple has not pulled the current MacPros and the only reason I can think of is that they're holding off until the replacement happens.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:26:33 am

New cpu and tb chips don't mean a MP,Those drivers could be for nvidias via thunderbolt for IMacs and MBP'S.

RC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:31:05 am

[Richard Cardonna] "New cpu and tb chips don't mean a MP"

It won't be an MP. That's almost certain from Apple's own site. It'll be a new case design and there's a good chance it wont be a tower form factor. You seem to care about "MacPro." I care about 6 or 12 core Xeons and two 16x PCIe 3 slots and a few Thunderbolt ports. I don't care if it's got a new case and a new name.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:41:15 am

Regardless of the name nothing is showing on the screen for an apple system like you envision.

I certainly hope it shows up with whatever shape or color.

To me the real clue would be a software that would need such a monster and even with smoke there is none in the apple world as of now.

RC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 16, 2012 at 5:14:22 am

[Richard Cardonna] "Regardless of the name nothing is showing on the screen for an apple system like you envision. "

Because the components are first coming to market (new Xeons and new Thunderbolt controllers). There's availability and supply chain that has to be considered. Apple will want ample boxes to meet the demand (and there's certainly pent up demand).

[Richard Cardonna] "To me the real clue would be a software that would need such a monster and even with smoke there is none in the apple world as of now."

That something can run on an iMac or MBP doesn't mean that's ideal. Start adding more layers, dealing with 4K sources or GOP (AVCHD) sources, doing heavy FX or Color grading, you're going to want more. Also the more compression you need to do for certain file delivery the faster the box you're going to want (or clustering multiple fast boxes).

While I don't know for sure that they'll replace the MacPro, I do know there's no way they can replace it until they have the components in ample supply. It's also clear that they haven't killed the current MacPro so there's a reason they're keeping that alive (for the time being).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 11, 2012 at 4:19:13 am

[Richard Cardonna] "If it doesn't then what can it be for mac users?"

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=14961350

And MacPros as well.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:03:21 am

Yes for the legacy version. Why would the configure an Imac if they new that a MP was in line.?

RC

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Apr 11, 2012 at 10:36:47 am

This is interesting but if it's a big change let's hope it's in price. If they decide to intro a new NLE well I hope they make it better than what they've had because I hate editing in Smoke, and prefer using FCP or Avid to feed it. And also at some point Smoke needs to settle down some. It's kind of annoying to have to re-learn the thing after every release. I mean the Discreet group is more aggressive about changes than any other software group I know of they'll totally re-arrange things over night. I'm all for improvement but they need to build a good system and leave it alone to some degree.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Apr 11, 2012 at 4:56:24 pm

More than likely they will be bundling Luster with Smoke. I'd love to see a price drop to make it competitive with Avid and Adobe but my guess is no.

I used Smoke for about 6 months working with a local VAR. It was very frustrating when I was picking it up as the available training from Autodesk was somewhere between Slim, None and Zero. Smoke has a very radical GUI as well as it's entire data structure is quite unique. If you think moving from FCP7 to FCPX is hard, hold on to your hats as Smoke is a different beast entirely. While you can use a mouse, it was designed and really needs to be used with a tablet. I was running it on a MBP over FW800 and it performed quite well so the concerns on iMac vs MacPro I do not believe are justified. I've not touched it now for about a year but at the time it did not support multiple monitors well. That may have changed.

All that said, Smoke is very powerful. It is best for an environment with multiple editors working on multiple jobs together. It is integrated with 3D applications very well and supports 3D compositing. The integrated effects that come with it are pretty amazing. It runs quite fast and once you get the hang of the interface you can operate it very efficiently.

The training has been vastly improved in a huge contribution by ( Grant Kay He has made a large number of training videos now that with some concerted effort on the part of the user you should be able to come up to speed fairly well on how to work Smoke.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 11, 2012 at 5:49:03 pm

[Phil Hoppes] "More than likely they will be bundling Luster with Smoke."

Unlikely. They've already done that on the Linux side. Flame Premium is the Flame/Smoke/Lustre bundle.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:59:18 pm

I hate to say but I know what the news is and it is a very strategical move SMOKE is an amazing piece of software and with all the new hardware around it will defiantly cause trouble to the well established editing software ...

Is it cost, maybe, is it the ability to work on lower machines, maybe - is it the solution mid to high end professionals are looking for - defiantly

I wish i was at NAB this year but I am in Brazil - it is defiantly going to be an amassing show !

Deliver Commercials is a Company that helps explain to you how to get Commercials exported the first time

@DeliverComms

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:16:19 pm

[Craig RussillRoy] "I am in Brazil....going to be an amassing"

There's a pun in here. Really, there is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]