FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is Apple Doing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Tarantino
What is Apple Doing?
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:28:46 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions and professional advice on the future of editing with FCP7.

I know there is a lot going on in the FCP world and its supporters as to whether FCP users should move to FCPX or make the switch to another editing program like Premiere or AVID.

We currently have 2 stations (not major) running FCP7. I am hearing a lot of talk that FCPX is more for the consumer/prosumer world and is missing many professional features. Also the inability to access our legacy files is a real turn-off.

Do you have any suggestions what we should look into or explore?

Best,

-Richard

Richard Tarantino

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: What is Apple Doing?
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:30:40 pm

[Richard Tarantino] "Do you have any suggestions what we should look into or explore?"

I think just pour yourself a large cup of coffee and work your way through the last few months of posts on here, you'll get all the information you need from that

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:37:41 pm

Your post is about 5 days early... this NAB is gonna be huge. I think we'll all have a clearer picture of the NLE world by Sun/Mon...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:36:38 pm

[Richard Tarantino] "Do you have any suggestions what we should look into or explore?"

The problem is we have too many suggestions, and they're not in agreement. As Steve Connor suggested, set the forum back about 6 months and start reading. I'd recommend the threads where you see the blood leaking onto the screen for starters.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:51:34 pm

There appears to be blood leaking on to my screen all the time. I thought it was just me. But now with this Smoke rumor which, from what I read, involves FCP X, I don't know what to think.

Tim

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Apr 10, 2012 at 5:18:48 pm

[TImothy Auld] "But now with this Smoke rumor which, from what I read, involves FCP X, I don't know what to think."

I would say it involves FCP7 more than FCPX.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 10, 2012 at 5:32:16 pm

OK. Now I am really intrigued.

Tim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 10, 2012 at 6:02:14 pm

Apple buys Autodesk?

(hey I'm having fun with this)

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 10, 2012 at 6:10:51 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Apple buys Autodesk?"

So they can Johnny Cash it like they did all their other pro app purchases?

"I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" / Folsom Prison Blues

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 10, 2012 at 6:27:07 pm

Autodesk (Discreet)
The company that killed:
EditDV/Cinestream
Cleaner
Edit*
Combustion

Seems to be a perfect fit for Apple ;)

And the announcement is done with Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" blaring through the speakers. There's even one change in the lyrics "We all came out to Montreux" (Montreux replaced with Cupertino).

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 11, 2012 at 12:55:01 am

More stuff for apple to eol

RC

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 10, 2012 at 6:26:31 pm

And that would be fun and would be my preference. But somehow I don't think that is what is going to happen. What I suspect will be happening is an attempt at rebranding high end post production.

Tim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:43:35 pm

...and for those who wonder about the holding pattern, in an FCPX facility I'm aware of, they say FCS legacy is working under Mountain Lion so far. Interesting because I had thought that would be the nail in the coffin for Legacy.

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:49:31 pm

Hi Craig,

You mentioned this FCPX facility in my hardware thread last night. This is very interesting, have they written an article for the COW yet? If not, is there any way of coaxing them into sharing their experiences with the wider community?

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:58:13 pm

I've wanted to interview them. I think it would be an interesting article. They declined. Their comments to me were they've extremely busy and they having nothing to prove in this FCPX battle. It's working fine for them and they prefer it over Legacy and the competition as well. I can imagine they don't want to deal with getting scrutinized publicly (given there's some extreme prejudice against X and it's users/advocates) which may well detract from their day to day work. They say they are broadcast. They are not in the USA.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:53:06 pm

[Craig Seeman] "FCS legacy is working under Mountain Lion so far. Interesting because I had thought that would be the nail in the coffin for Legacy."

As long as the Carbon and QuickTime APIs are still there, legacy FCP should still work. I think both of those had been deprecated already (at least in part), but that doesn't mean they are gone from Mountain Lion. Just that their days are numbered.

(I can't say for sure because the Mountain Lion dev notes are still under NDA).

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Apr 10, 2012 at 5:28:32 pm

What you mean with Prosumer? (an amateur user of electronic equipment that is of a standard suitable for professional use)
But if Final Cut Pro X is a consumer product, then the soccer Moms are educated in the Film/Video editing business.
I would give it the 30 Day trial a run. On all platform!

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Apr 10, 2012 at 6:02:36 pm

So what's the deal with Lightworks? In anticipation of buying a new MBP that MacRumors says will be out soon, I've been comparing PC laptops on Tiger Direct and can cut my expenditures in half. I need a new laptop, that's why I'm considering dumping all things Apple if PC is half the price.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 10, 2012 at 6:50:24 pm

PC laptops aren't any cheaper than Apples. Just today at Sam's I saw a MacBook air look-alike. Sam basic specs (no tb) for $999. Same price. It was an i5.

Now if you want to build your own PC tower that's different.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 10, 2012 at 7:20:56 pm

Well you can get a 17" PC laptop with i7, 8GB ram, Blu-ray burner etc etc for under $1500 - that's quite a bit cheaper than a 17" MacBook Pro. Not saying it's nicer, just a lot of options out there. Of course the PC won't FCPX so that totally sucks.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 10, 2012 at 7:26:49 pm

I'd also add that this is the forum that lends itself LEAST to reading old posts to get the gist. Too many changes across the entire ecosystem, too many new insights (pos and neg) as people try to use it, etc.

There are also new people coming in all the time as they come to their own forks in the road. This isn't just one of the most frequently read forums at the COW -- it's the one with the most *new* visitors on a month-to-month basis. Nothing stays the same.

While every forum at the COW is designed to work in real time, we can argue about the "real" but not the "timely."

So, you kids new to the conversation, let 'er rip. Geezers who'd rather not answer the same questions again, please don't. Plenty of room for everyone here.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 10, 2012 at 7:33:01 pm

Who you calling' geezer!?! And get off of my lawn!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 10, 2012 at 8:04:57 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Who you calling' geezer!?! And get off of my lawn!"

Man, I really do find myself doing ALL that stuff! Someone walking their dogs let one of them pee on a tree of "mine" immediately adjacent to the sidewalk (ie, not really mine at all) and my wife nearly had to call the cops to restrain me.

And I have a dog! You think I'd be calmer about this. When I was a whippersnapper of 50, maybe, but DANG.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 10, 2012 at 8:24:56 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Someone walking their dogs let one of them pee on a tree of "mine" immediately adjacent to the sidewalk (ie, not really mine at all) and my wife nearly had to call the cops to restrain me."

You should have thanked them. Urine is a great fertilizer. The nitrogen tends to evaporate if applied to hot soil, though, so it's best if the dogs pee on your trees at night.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:43:27 pm

Cmon you can't fault them for pee. They can't really pickup pee. Are they supposed to not walk their dog? Do you chase down birds, chipmunks, squirrels, and bunnies too?

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:46:42 pm

Would let dogs pee on your Lettuce? lol :)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:51:14 pm

You're definitely right I guess on the high end side of things. I don't know much about the build quality, graphics card, etc. but I see you can get a macbook pro clone (hp envy) for about $1600. And if it runs Adobe Premiere, then you've got a nice system. :)

One nice thing Adobe has done... make their apps feel the same as much as possible across Mac/Windows. So when you're in an adobe app with all the windows stuff hidden, you can pretend you're on a mac. Until you have to save a file or something.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:52:54 pm

Actually those Envy laptops are pretty nice - at first glance they look exactly like a MacBook Pro! But graphics cards are still the weakness in most Mac or PC laptops unless you opt for the HP workstation models which have Quadro cards - but yikes they are pricey...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]