FORUMS: list search recent posts

NAB Editing Showings.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Mulligan
NAB Editing Showings.
on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:20:06 pm

From Avid to Lightworks to Autodesk and Adobe. And More.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/graphics--editing----nab-show-/212466

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: NAB Editing Showings.
on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:58:15 pm

"So at this year's NAB Show, they will highlight CS 5.5, a significant mid-cycle release ..."

Either the veracity of this article is in question or Adobe is gonna have a lot of egg on it's face if they aren't showing off CS6.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:56:12 pm

A lot of the companies just aren't officially saying a lot. Jay, as most other journalists that cover this space, are bound by NDAs and press embargoes. So you can only publicly write about things that don't violate NDAs when you do have advance info.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Apr 2, 2012 at 6:47:31 pm

I think the PP development team is working nights and weekends scrambling to take advantage of "the opportunity", and Adobe would like to have as much time as possible to refine it and hit a home run for the FCP7 community.

Return to posts index

james carey
on Apr 2, 2012 at 9:23:16 pm

Speaks volumes that FCPX doesn't even get a mention.

Jim Carey
Director of Video, Radical Entertainment
linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/jcarey256
mobygames: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,17212/

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 2, 2012 at 10:19:05 pm

[james carey] "Speaks volumes that FCPX doesn't even get a mention."

Not really. It's an NAB story. Apple won't officially be at NAB, so FCP X is not an official product being demonstrated or announced there. It will likely show up within some workflows shown by other vendors, though. Apple hasn't officially been part of NAB for years. Hijacking SuperMeet last year doesn't count ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Apr 2, 2012 at 11:10:47 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Hijacking SuperMeet last year doesn't count ;-)"

And that went so well, I can't believe they're not hijacking more events .

Do we expect Adobe to premiere Premiere at NAB?

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Apr 2, 2012 at 11:34:34 pm

"Do we expect Adobe to premiere Premiere at NAB?"

Yes.

Premiere Pro is on a 24-month upgrade cycle, and CS5 was introduced at NAB 2010. CS5.5 was introduced at last year's NAB. And Adobe has said that CS6 would be out "in the first half of 2012".

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 2, 2012 at 11:40:04 pm

[Jim Giberti] "[Oliver Peters] "Hijacking SuperMeet last year doesn't count ;-)"

And that went so well, I can't believe they're not hijacking more events .

Do we expect Adobe to premiere Premiere at NAB?
"

Actually it couldn't have gone any better.

It's all everyone here has talked about here for the entire year, after all!

"I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right."
variously attributed to folks from May West to Mark Twain et al.

; )

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Apr 3, 2012 at 8:13:57 pm

Been talking about 911 for over a decade, but I'd hardly say that went well.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Jerry Alto
on Apr 3, 2012 at 8:33:15 pm

Marvin- Great response! Apple's hijack was a spit in the face to it's user group and a PR disaster, IMO.

MacPro 2.93 Quad
FCP7
Sony Z-1
GV-HD700

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 3, 2012 at 10:38:02 pm

Marvin managed to invoke 9-11.

Now if someone will just mention nazis - then we'll have achieved the perfect trifecta of dumb newsgroup arguing.

(working on whether I'm proud to have personally contributed to such a hallowed tradition.)

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 3, 2012 at 11:01:04 pm

[Bill Davis] "Now if someone will just mention nazis - then we'll have achieved the perfect trifecta of dumb newsgroup arguing."

I was sorta thinking the same thing myself so I came up with these alternatives.

[Bill Davis] "Actually it couldn't have gone any better. It's all everyone here has talked about here for the entire year, after all! "I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right." variously attributed to folks from May West to Mark Twain et al."

How did that work out for:

Jeffrey Dommer
Casey Anthony
Anthony Weiner
Eliot Spitzer
Jerry Sandusky

See, no nazi's or war criminals, although I do list some murderers, pedophiles and sex offenders, which is probably overdoing it when talking metaphorically about last June, although I wouldn't have thought so then. Time does, it seems, heal most wounds.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Apr 4, 2012 at 12:04:29 am

Bill Davis - "Actually it couldn't have gone any better. It's all everyone here has talked about here for the entire year, after all!"

Sigh.... though it's very hard to debate the ridiculous, I'll give it a try.

You suppose that the release was a success due to the fact that we've all talked about it since June of last year. (BTW, How is that an entire year?). You're subjective criteria for this proclamation supposes that value judgements on this subject are based solely on how many people discuss it. I would say that it's not how many people talk about it... it's what they say that defines success.

Now....

After all that typing, don't you think my original statement made the point much more succinctly?

Please up your game a bit. I really don't mind cheerleading, as long as there is at least a shred of logic to it. Also nice if there is shade less condescension. BTW, there is a time and place for condescension. I usually reserve it for those who are persistently belittling.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Apr 4, 2012 at 5:16:37 am

(Bill Davis) "Now if someone will just mention nazis - then we'll have achieved the perfect trifecta of dumb newsgroup arguing."

I know I'm probably better off staying out of this sort of thing, but I just couldn't resist this one...

Return to posts index

Laurent Lindebrings
on Apr 4, 2012 at 2:52:52 pm

Hello, I am using FCP since 1.5 and I moved to FCP X. It is a great tool with deep functions for the editor.
I find my clips and edit faster than before.
If Apple HIJACK last SUPERMEET, then I don't understand the meaning of a SUPERMEET. Isn't it a Final Cut User Group supermeet ?
What does it means to have a such event without any mention of FCP X ?
I understand that people were desapointed by the move of Apple (bad realease, bugs, have to learn a new software, to forget some habits from 7...) but does it means the software is so bad ?
I work for documentary's films. The program is smooth (runs on a I7/16go RAM system) and really fast once you understand it's workflow. Most of the tasks can be done inside FCP X.
To have a supermeet without a single presentation about FCP X is just scandalous !

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:13:17 pm

"If Apple HIJACK last SUPERMEET, then I don't understand the meaning of a SUPERMEET. Isn't it a Final Cut User Group supermeet ?"

No need in rehashing old issues, but go back and look at the coure of events last year. Apple has not financially supported the SuperMeets or various User Groups for years. However, OTHER companies DID supply material funding through sponsorships. Regardless of how or why, most people will generally acknolwedge that the way X was introduced at the SuperMeet with last minute agenda changes was less than graceful and pushed them into a damage-control mode. Remember that if you attended, you PAID to see a marketing pitch.

FWIW - the SuperMeets now seem to be "creative pro editor" events and not specifically Apple-centric events any longer.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Laurent Lindebrings
on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:55:09 pm

So FCP X is not an editing tool. So if Apple didn't give any money to FCUG, how did they hijack last supermeet.
FCUG should find an other name.
Viva FCP X.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 4, 2012 at 7:24:19 pm

[Laurent Lindebrings] "So if Apple didn't give any money to FCUG, how did they hijack last super meet. FCUG should find an other name."

I don't mean to be terse, but there's little point in belaboring this conversation. If you are interested in the actual history of what happened, go back through last year's COW threads related to the circumstances and decide for yourself. At this point it's old news and not worth revisiting. Let's judge Apple based on what they do going forward, not what they did or didn't do a year ago in Vegas.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:16:21 pm

I doubt seriously that Apple or FCPX are being actively excluded from the Supermeet, if that's what you're saying. And they couldn't very well just have something on their own without Apple's blessing and permission.

Tim

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:40:23 pm

I doubt seriously that Apple or FCPX are being actively excluded from the Supermeet, if that's what you're saying. And they couldn't very well just have something on their own without Apple's blessing and permission.
Tim

The SuperMeets are private organizations that have nothing to do with Apple in any corporate or financial sense. Of course, they couldn't show FCP X on their own last year, because it didn't exist at that time last year. If Apple wanted to appear this year, they certainly could, but Apple has officially chosen not to participate in trade shows.

I think last year was an exception because they felt FCP X was something more than just a software update. However poorly it came across, I do agree with that. Since it was an off-site event, this still let them be there without being an NAB exhibitor. They do attend and meet with some customers at all of the shows. Formal presentations are a much more complex affair for them. I doubt you'll see any sort of repeat.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Apr 4, 2012 at 8:56:25 pm

My only wonderment at the moment is....

If, in fact, Apple is the de facto leader in technology and heralds "what's to come" on a broader scale, does that mean we should expect such autocratic behavior from the rest of the industry manufacturers? That is to say, if those who are so loudly proclaiming FCPX's launch a "success" are even remotely correct, we will soon see other manufacturers attempt to follow the trend?

Are we soon to see all the other NLE and OS builders in a headlong rush to code for cloud based appliances in ever more isolated world of proprietary walling off of our tools? Dumbed down applications? More and more third party reliance creating ever more difficult upgrade paths for anything other than the most rudimentary of functioning?

Seems like the world is ripe for another Steve Jobs to come along and start a new way of thinking, all over again.

Peach Computers anyone? The Apple's are getting sour these days and I'm craving the sweetness of all the years gone by.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]