FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thunderbolt supported test equipment from Tektronix

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
on Apr 2, 2012 at 3:43:12 pm

Apparently there's very high demand for these amongst "consumers" since there's nothing "pro" about Apple products since they've abandoned that market ;-)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tektronix-delivers-thunderbolttm-technolog...

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Thunderbolt supported test equipment from Tektronix
on Apr 2, 2012 at 3:50:06 pm

Yes, there's such high demand that Thunderbolt peripherals are all over the market now.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:25:46 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Apparently there's very high demand for these amongst "consumers" since there's nothing "pro" about Apple products since they've abandoned that market ;-)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tektronix-delivers-thunderbolttm-technolog.....
"

Now, Craig--did you happen to read the second paragraph of the press release? Here's a part of it:

Thunderbolt's four channel 10.3 Gbps I/O architecture is the most significant advancement in PC I/O design ever introduced into the consumer level electronics industry and Tektronix is dedicated to delivery of a broad portfolio of tools to facilitate the successful deployment of this new technology working in concert with Intel.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:31:12 pm

I read that and thought it was odd. I don't know of any significant consumer Thunderbolt products. I've seen Video I/O, high speed storage, PCIe expansion boxes. Of course one might argue that if you can hook up a $300 Canon Vixia to a $300 Blackmagic Intensity Extreme, that's "consumer."

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:42:34 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I read that and thought it was odd. I don't know of any significant consumer Thunderbolt products. I've seen Video I/O, high speed storage, PCIe expansion boxes. Of course one might argue that if you can hook up a $300 Canon Vixia to a $300 Blackmagic Intensity Extreme, that's "consumer.""

I did make you a list a few weeks ago. It included Seagate's GoFlex single drive adaptor, Western Digital's MyBook, and Apple's own glossy monitor that also acts as a very nice docking station. Belkin's also coming out with a docking station.

Now, don't get me wrong: I'm really enjoying my new TBolt connection; I just really don't think the argument that it is somehow proof of Apple's continued devotion to Professional users holds water.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:48:25 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Apple's own glossy monitor that also acts as a very nice docking station."

No argument there. Note my post about the rumor that Apple may be using a non glossy monitor in the upcoming iMac. Lots of supposition on my part admittedly but if they make this change in the aforementioned stand alone Thunderbolt monitor I'd take that as a good sign.

I personally can't see why a consumer would buy any of the above drives. Firewire didn't really make much of an impact on consumer hard drives either so I can't imagine Thunderbolt fairing any better in that market.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Apr 2, 2012 at 6:06:50 pm

"I read that and thought it was odd. I don't know of any significant consumer Thunderbolt products."

LaCie has a hard drive based on Thunderbolt, which is neither consumer or pro if you think about it. It could be used to store and play back footage from a RED Epic shoot, or it could also be used to quickly back up a mountain of funny cat videos...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 2, 2012 at 6:10:54 pm

[Greg Andonian] " It could be used to store and play back footage from a RED Epic shoot, or it could also be used to quickly back up a mountain of funny cat videos..."

Not an either/or really. It's for those with RED Epics shooing a mountain of funny cat videos. It must be for the Tosh.0 crew of course.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Apr 2, 2012 at 6:20:43 pm

"Not an either/or really. It's for those with RED Epics shooing a mountain of funny cat videos."

That reminded me of the John Adobe video-

"Now I can edit my home movies in 4k!"

:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]