FORUMS: list search recent posts

And so it begins - MXF for FCPX (and other NLE MXF "assistants")

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
And so it begins - MXF for FCPX (and other NLE MXF "assistants")
on Apr 2, 2012 at 2:52:11 pm

One of my favorite and useful workflow assistants to FCP7 is going to be available for FCPX.

VirtualMXF from the company that developed MXF4mac (Hamburg Pro Media).

Looks like there's going to be a regular and "Pro" version.

Regular is available now, Pro coming soon.

http://www.hamburgpromedia.com/products/virtual-mxf/virtual-mxf.php

Pro Features-

* Multiple Mounts
* Merge P2 file
* Merge Avid files
* Map metadata via FCP 7/FCP X .xml

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
Re: And so it begins - MXF for FCPX (and other NLE MXF "assistants")
on Apr 2, 2012 at 3:41:26 pm

That is fantastic news ...

Deliver Commercials is a Company that helps explain to you how to get Commercials exported the first time

@DeliverComms

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:13:49 pm

I'm endlessly amazed at the loyalty shown to this product - FCPX that is.

Do all of you do the same to everything other product? Mt wife was a big Nissan buyer, till they brought out a line of vehicles that didn't suit her. But she didn't buy a Qashqai and hammer it till it got to the shape she wanted, she bought a Toyota instead. Isn't that what normal people do?

Personally,I'm happily working away with Edius now, on a PC which runs faster and has better graphics - and an SSD - than your ancient MacPros.

I loved FCP for ten years, but now we're divorced and I'm moving on.

B

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:20:37 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "I loved FCP for ten years, but now we're divorced and I'm moving on."

Good for you. I am happy am I am glad you find the tool that is right for you.

I am excited about this as I have used MXF4mac in FCP7 for a long time now. This is the next evolution and I wasn't even sure if this was going to be possible in FCPX.

Having direct access to MXF media is a big deal in broadcast and other workflows.

If you like/use FCPX, and you shoot MXF, this might be a good thing.

The pro version looks like it will tidy up Avid's op-atom MXF explosions as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:50:50 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "I'm endlessly amazed at the loyalty shown to this product - FCPX that is."

Some of us don't feel like jilted lovers with regards to FCPX. We see it as a tool that either works for a particular project or it doesn't. I've personally never put all my eggs in one basket as an editor, so it does me no harm to work with FCPX on the projects it works well with. And believe me when I tell you, for those projects, it works better than the other NLEs out there.

Most everyone recognizes it as an unfinished product. But I'm not a facilities manager required to make NLE purchases for an entire company. I'm just an editor who works with many different NLEs, and whose Mac Pro didn't stop working when X was released last year.

This has nothing (or little) to do with loyalty for me. If I can't use it, or it doesn't make financial sense, I won't buy it. Obviously you made a similar decision for your work. Why begrudge us ours?

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:57:30 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "Do all of you do the same to everything other product? Mt wife was a big Nissan buyer, till they brought out a line of vehicles that didn't suit her. But she didn't buy a Qashqai and hammer it till it got to the shape she wanted, she bought a Toyota instead. Isn't that what normal people do?
"

So you're saying that those of us who choose FCPX and are prepared to put up with some third party solutions aren't "normal"

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:47:13 pm

LOL I wish there was a way to see how many times you have peaked in this forum. I wonder how many happily divorced men go back and peak in their ex's window?

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Apr 2, 2012 at 6:10:00 pm

There's no doubt that Edius is the fastest editing software out there. Not many people truly realize this.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 3, 2012 at 5:13:40 pm

And I never thought 7 was perfect either.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 3, 2012 at 12:25:27 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "One of my favorite and useful workflow assistants to FCP7 is going to be available for FCPX. VirtualMXF from the company that developed MXF4mac (Hamburg Pro Media). Looks like there's going to be a regular and "Pro" version. Regular is available now, Pro coming soon."

That is really, really cool.

It's interesting to note it doesn't plug directly into FCPX. The application seems to be reading the MXFs and presenting them to the system on virtual volumes as QuickTime files for any application to read. It looks like quite a bit of behind-the-scenes wizardry to make it all work.

Nice find, Jeremy, and thanks for sharing.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 3, 2012 at 12:37:06 am

[Walter Soyka] "It's interesting to note it doesn't plug directly into FCPX. The application seems to be reading the MXFs and presenting them to the system on virtual volumes as QuickTime files for any application to read. It looks like quite a bit of behind-the-scenes wizardry to make it all work."

On this note -- I do wonder how this approach will work with FCPX's everything-online-all-the-time approach. You could end up having to mount an awful lot of virtual disks.

Will transcoding to optimized media still be ideal?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 3, 2012 at 1:27:30 am

[Walter Soyka] "On this note -- I do wonder how this approach will work with FCPX's everything-online-all-the-time approach. You could end up having to mount an awful lot of virtual disks. "

I don't know how it works quite yet, but my guess is that it puts a link in the event to the original media.

The MXFImport component works like this in QT and fcp7 now. Using the QT framework, the component simply presented the information to the OS. It's very slick.

A limitation with that system was once you brought it in to FCP7, you have to use media manager to transcode to QT as the way the MXF files were presented weren't the same as log and transfer.

My guess, and I hope to find out shortly, is that with FCPX's transcode feature, you'd be able to make high or low res media at anytime. This is a huge benefit if my guess is correct. It means you have instant access to the media as needed, and you can make .movs if you need to move the edit to another system/machine that doesn't have the MXF software. I am also intrigued about how it says you can map metadata between 7 and X via XML.

More speculation, I'm sure there's a reason the pro version isn't available yet and might point to more FCPX XML updates in the near future, but what do I know...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 3, 2012 at 1:55:56 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "I don't know how it works quite yet, but my guess is that it puts a link in the event to the original media. The MXFImport component works like this in QT and fcp7 now. Using the QT framework, the component simply presented the information to the OS. It's very slick."

From the description, it doesn't sound like it works in FCPX at all. My interpretation of the website's description is that it's reading the MXF media and dynamically presenting that MXF media as if it were a QuickTime file on a virtual volume.

That's a bit different than MXFImport, which was a QuickTime component and could actually work within the QuickTime framework. Since AV Foundation doesn't support QuickTime components, I think they are going deeper, Inception-style, and virtualizing the media in a QuickTime wrapper, on-the-fly, on a virtual disk that must be mounted.

In other words, instead of getting QuickTime to read MXF as MXFImport did, I think VirtualMXF reads the MXF files from disk itself and pipes the data into virtual QuickTime files on a virtual volume.

One of the pro features listed is multiple mounts, which suggests to me that the non-Pro version can only handle a single MXF source at a time.

Of course, this is all my interpretation of the description on the developer's web site.

[Jeremy Garchow] "My guess, and I hope to find out shortly, is that with FCPX's transcode feature, you'd be able to make high or low res media at anytime. This is a huge benefit if my guess is correct. It means you have instant access to the media as needed, and you can make .movs if you need to move the edit to another system/machine that doesn't have the MXF software."

Yeah, that is cool. Start work right away, then transcode to have a more portable project.

[Jeremy Garchow] "I am also intrigued about how it says you can map metadata between 7 and X via XML. More speculation, I'm sure there's a reason the pro version isn't available yet and might point to more FCPX XML updates in the near future, but what do I know..."

There's a lot of other functionality in the pro version beyond FCPXML support, so I wouldn't immediately assume they're held up by a major update -- but all that aside, the metadata mapping via XML looks like a great feature. This goes a long way to adding the missing interoperability I was lamenting earlier. It's pretty exciting.

And this all goes back to a point you made months ago -- it would be great if MXF were better-supported natively across all NLEs and platforms.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 3, 2012 at 2:33:23 am

[Walter Soyka] "From the description, it doesn't sound like it works in FCPX at all. My interpretation of the website's description is that it's reading the MXF media and dynamically presenting that MXF media as if it were a QuickTime file on a virtual volume."

Yep, I hear that, but with fcpx's consolidation and transcode tools, it seems you should be able to pull this in to an event by drag and drop. The virtualization might just be the first step. It says that the source can be any media, the virtualization probably collects any necessary parts (in the case of op-atom), then once that's all collected (metadata and otherwise) it's now available to the OS:

"After defining a "MXF Source", which can be a folder, a whole hard disc drive, an USB Stick or even a server volume, it automatically and immediately originates a new - virtual disk drive - on the Desktop in which all original MXF clips are virtualized as FCP X compatible Movies. Drag&Drop these movie files into FinalCutPro X or nearly any other Mac OS X Application for audio visual content "

Once in FCP, my guess is that you'll be able to transcode if you want. The virtualization is probably what needs to happen without QT being what it used to.

This is kind of what the component did, you just didn't need to virtualize as it was all done in QT behind the scenes.

The multiple mounts probably mean you could multiple drives as "MXF SOURCE" instead of having one folder or drive (which can probably have as many MXF folders/files as you want). Or have multiple p2 cards on your desktop if you're working straight from a card.

The greyed out pro options look interesting in pg3 here: http://www.hamburgpromedia.com/hpm-downloads/documentation/VirtualMXF-Workf...

[Walter Soyka] "There's a lot of other functionality in the pro version beyond FCPXML support, so I wouldn't immediately assume they're held up by a major update"

I would, heh heh. They made extensive use of fcp7 XML for MXFImport, and I don't think fcpxml is up to snuff for what was happening before, but again it's a guess from being familiar with their other products.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 3, 2012 at 2:50:03 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Yep, I hear that, but with fcpx's consolidation and transcode tools, it seems you should be able to pull this in to an event by drag and drop. The virtualization might just be the first step."

I think we're saying the same thing. This is going to be a really useful workflow. Congrats to Hamburg Pro Media on the release!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Apr 4, 2012 at 1:29:53 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "The MXFImport component works like this in QT and fcp7 now. Using the QT framework, the component simply presented the information to the OS. It's very slick. "

[Walter Soyka] "That's a bit different than MXFImport, which was a QuickTime component and could actually work within the QuickTime framework. Since AV Foundation doesn't support QuickTime components, I think they are going deeper, Inception-style, and virtualizing the media in a QuickTime wrapper, on-the-fly, on a virtual disk that must be mounted. "

May be you know that, but for those who doesn't: if you have "MXF Import", there's an option to create QT Reference files in a specified folder or in the same folder the mxf file lies in. That happens almost on-the-fly: you need to "access" the file to initiate the process of creating references. That is either open it, or preview with quicklook. Or if you have a folder full of MXF files, the first time you open that folder finder builds thumbnails, thus "accessing" them. After that you have a bunch of MOV files which FCP X understands. Not so neat as VirtualMXF seems to be, but an option anyway.
Unfortunately, it doesn't read or merge Avid mxf. XDCAM works.
This can be activated in CalibratedQMXFOptions on the auto-ref tab.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 3, 2012 at 2:34:50 am

[Walter Soyka] "You could end up having to mount an awful lot of virtual disks.

Will transcoding to optimized media still be ideal?
"

I do this pretty regularly since i store all my field shoot cards as disk images.

On one particularly long group of interviews with multiple cameras - I think I had regularly had 12-15 disk images mounted simultaneously while sorting through footage. Didn't seem to bother X a bit.

I'm currently in planning/prep for a 16-24 camera shoot of a jazz performance for next month. With multiple cameras over multiple songs that could go into 32-48 mounted virtual disk images if I want to work with all the content "live to mix."

The projects shoots a week after I get back from NAB and edits the second week in May. I'll let you know how it works out - but to date, multiple virtual disks mounted via the finder seem to work seamlessly under Lion and X in my limited experience.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 3, 2012 at 3:38:33 am

Hey, Bill.

I hear what you're saying, but this is different.

Your disk images store media, these virtualizations store links to all the disparate MXF media.

From what I can gather, these virtualizations collect all the necessary parts (just like any NLE that uses MXF) and then presents it in a way FCPX and the OS can understand.

What cant be done through the now defunct qt API has to be done this way, or at least this is a way it can be done until AVFoundation is allowed grow up, if ever.

Can't wait to check this out.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]