FORUMS: list search recent posts

X as Video Playout Organizer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
X as Video Playout Organizer
on Apr 1, 2012 at 11:07:55 pm

On Sat, I was doing some project revision work and my son came into the studio, took a look at my screen and said "that's cool."

It kinda shocked me - I'd been working so closely with X for so long, that I'd gotten used to the interface and wasn't thinking much about it any more.

What stopped him was the project library on my Cinema Display.

All my recent work, displayed for easy access. Each stripe, a project ready for immediate revision as needed.

Each project can be skimmed, played, and exported, and by double clicking on any of them, I can activate the storyline and use the timeline index to search for any asset and locate it in the event browser.

Legacy had a lot of great stuff built in. But nothing even remotely like this.

BTW, all of these projects live comfortably on a single 750 gig portable Segate Firewiire 800 drive the size of my wallet including clones of all the source footage.

A connected visual display of all my work in progress - another thing I don't want to give up now that I've been given it.

FWIW.

A screen grab of my project library is attached.

billdavisxscreen.5.png

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: X as Video Playout Organizer
on Apr 2, 2012 at 12:15:28 pm

[Bill Davis] "BTW, all of these projects live comfortably on a single 750 gig portable Segate Firewiire 800 drive the size of my wallet including clones of all the source footage."

Which is one of the reasons X works for you. My work requires a 16 Terabyte Raid that needs to be about 10x as fast as your drive and sits in an enclosure about 70% as large as my Mac Pro tower. Even so, this storage is only good for one years work. Different tools for different needs; although I always thought one of the strengths of Legacy was it's ability to handle many different types of work effectively. The swiss army knife approach vs. the many specific tools approach.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: X as Video Playout Organizer
on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:41:09 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Which is one of the reasons X works for you. My work requires a 16 Terabyte Raid that needs to be about 10x as fast as your drive and sits in an enclosure about 70% as large as my Mac Pro tower."

Agreed.

The larger question perhaps, is how many editors need what you need. Verses how many need what I need.

I think you've got your priorities exactly right, Herb. Keep your existing structure intact. Keep one eye on the future by watching the development path of tools like X, Avid and Premier. And if one is not at the place where it meets your needs when you have to switch - make a change.

In the interim, there are literally legions of editors like me who can benefit hugely from the new and improved capabilities that are built into X. Provided those editors don't get confused by the constant inaccurate arguments that because X is not the right tool for one editor - that somehow means it's not the right one for all editors.

By posting that picture, I was trying to illuminate how X functions. For anyone who needs a reasonable number of projects available "live" at one time - wants a tool that can manage them flexibly - and perhaps someone who could use the ability to search across pools of visual assets easily in a low cost system - X rocks.

For working professional content creators.

Nothing more than that.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]