FORUMS: list search recent posts

Curious about serialization and unique copies.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Curious about serialization and unique copies.
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:13:25 pm

I don't quite get the process for having unique copies, aside form the apple ID. I need to buy one copy using my company card for the job and another for myself using my own credit card. Rather than download it twice is there a way to download it once and reserialize it (or whatever it would be now)?

The same goes for buying several copies for the office. How do we know or insure that they're unique?

Tangier

Return to posts index

Brian Nichols
Re: Curious about serialization and unique copies.
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:18:50 pm

I am currently using my copy on another Mac Pro I don't own, copied to my external drive. I don't think there is any serialization other than the honor system.

That right there should tell you this is not a TRUE Pro software.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:25:12 pm

Hmmm. I guess one crucial point I left out was that I wanted to make both purchases on the same machine (due to convenience) and just move my copy to my computer later. I just want them to be unique because I tend to use my personal computer sometimes on our network to get things done faster and I don't want any network conflicts.

This is really strange to say the least, I need to buy several for the office as well and we're not setting up an Apple ID for each seat.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Brian Nichols
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:37:15 pm

I don't think you need to worry about network or anything like that with this new version. Its just download and go. From what I understand about the App Store, if you log into a new computer with the Apple ID you purchased it with you can download it to that computer if it doesn't currently exist on that system, but why waste time. Download it once and back it up to an external or DVD and copy it to whatever machine you need to. That's what I have done already and it works.

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Jun 21, 2011 at 10:02:48 pm

Do you have to enter your Apple ID each time? And does it check the network for concurrently running copies?

I want to be able to buy a dozen copies for our company, and install them like serial numbers that the company owns, not with separate Apple ID's for each workstation.

I have heard Volume Licensing is coming soon, and would work similar to OS X Lion - but no other details.

David Jahns
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Brian Nichols
on Jun 21, 2011 at 11:13:45 pm

Yeah for multiple stations in a post house, maybe you would want to do that. I would suggest not upgrading based on many peoples experience with this crippled version of Final Cut. I have already requested a refund.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]