FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where do you find the time?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Walker
Where do you find the time?
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:17:08 pm

I love Creative Cow and I love (addicted to?) this forum, but where in the world do you guys get the time to write such long drawn out (sometimes insightful) essays about the pros and cons of a piece of software?!
I chastise myself for spending so much time reading it, much less writing. Are the render times really that long? Isn't there a client waiting for a project somewhere? Or does everybody here work the overnights?
I don't mean to lecture. It's just a question that keeps popping up in my mind.

P.S. Tim Wilson, please don't admonish me for trying to cut down the traffic on this forum, I truly don't think that anybody (including me) will stop coming to the Cow!

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Where do you find the time?
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:24:21 pm

[Don Walker] "Are the render times really that long? Isn't there a client waiting for a project somewhere? Or does everybody here work the overnights?"

No, yes and no.

I post in my regular breaks from editing, I work alone a lot and it's great to indulge in a little conversation with the great people on here

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:31:44 pm

[Steve Connor] " I work alone a lot and it's great to indulge in a little conversation with the great people on here
"

Hear, hear. Also, the people who people much of the rest of my life--both family and business--have little tolerance for or interest in anything at all to do with the actual mechanics of editorial, and the attendant software/hardware. Nice to have a place to go where people are actually interested in such things.

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Mar 29, 2012 at 6:12:48 pm

Chris,

I wish there was some facebook like function that i could like your post. Hahaha

Creative Cow seems to be one of the few places where there would be good, informative and funny forum reads. Also not forgetting the fact that most of the people might seem like they have no one else to talk to about these things. My girlfriend calls me an editing geek and if it weren't for her, I'd be editing all day.

Also everyone runs into a problem and people here at the cow are very helpful when someone asks for help.

And yes, i usually end up here when i have to render stuff. Sometimes I pile on the effects and filters and make it look really good so that I have a longer rendering time. :D

Ewan
Avid, FCS3, Premiere Pro, After Effects

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 29, 2012 at 6:18:03 pm

[Ewan Lim] "Chris,

I wish there was some facebook like function that i could like your post. Hahaha
"

There is a "like" button here on the COW just below the post!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Mar 29, 2012 at 6:20:34 pm

Oops... Hahaha i am replyin thru my iphone and there isn't a like function when it is in mobile mode.

Ewan
Avid, FCS3, Premiere Pro, After Effects

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:13:15 pm

Exactly as all of the above have noted.

I used to write on deadline for a national magazine until I had to resign to peruse a gig based on developing a commercial product that provided a conflict with my position as a contributing editor there.

So I just miss writing, sometimes. And there's that old "use it or lose it" meme.

Also being self-employed for more than 25 years in what everyone above has noted is an often solitary creative environment, it's nice to interact with others - even when they're implying that you're a blathering idiot for what you've just posted!

; )

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:37:55 pm

I figured all the time you saved using FCPX is why you can crank out some of those near-novella posts, Bill. :)

My time here is inversely proportional to how much transcoding, rendering, and/or exporting I am currently doing.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:51:29 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I figured all the time you saved using FCPX is why you can crank out some of those near-novella posts, Bill. :)
"

(grin)

(Nodding to the eternal cloud in the direction of Mrs. Johnson, my high school "office machines" teacher - who clearly had no clue that she was helping create such a monster when she set up all those typing drills for yet another mediocre, largely disinterested student.)

And with apologies for never being able to edit, spell check, or otherwise clean up this copy. You'll all have to suffer through "quantity over quality" since I don't have the wit or time to pursue both.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 30, 2012 at 2:52:19 pm

[Bill Davis] "(Nodding to the eternal cloud in the direction of Mrs. Johnson, my high school "office machines" teacher - who clearly had no clue that she was helping create such a monster when she set up all those typing drills for yet another mediocre, largely disinterested student.)

And with apologies for never being able to edit, spell check, or otherwise clean up this copy. You'll all have to suffer through "quantity over quality" since I don't have the wit or time to pursue both."

There you go Bill, that explains a lot. Now I truly understand our stylistic differences and their origins.

The greatest influence on my writing style came from Mrs. Smith, my third grade English teacher. After she assigned a "theme paper" to the class, a single hand went up, and a fellow named Scott Wing asked Mrs. Smith how long that composition needed to be.

I'll never forget the answer... Mrs. Smith said, and I quote: "Like a woman's skirt, it must be long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting."

Personally, I've always preferred short skirts...

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Mar 30, 2012 at 3:01:52 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "The greatest influence on my writing style came from Mrs. Smith, my third grade English teacher. After she assigned a "theme paper" to the class, a single hand went up, and a fellow named Scott Wing asked Mrs. Smith how long that composition needed to be.

I'll never forget the answer... Mrs. Smith said, and I quote: "Like a woman's skirt, it must be long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting.""

Third Grade? Term Paper? Really ? And I thought it was rough writing a term paper in 11th grade!

don walker
texarkana, texas

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 31, 2012 at 6:37:14 am

[Don Walker] "Third Grade? Term Paper? Really ? And I thought it was rough writing a term paper in 11th grade!
"

Don, he said theme paper which is very different than a term paper. A theme paper would be about "cats" or "honesty." Though I'm guessing the story is a bit fanciful and a bit tongue in cheek. I love the punch line, though.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Mar 31, 2012 at 11:29:15 am

[Chris Harlan] "Don, he said theme paper which is very different than a term paper. A theme paper would be about "cats" or "honesty." Though I'm guessing the story is a bit fanciful and a bit tongue in cheek. "

Oh....... DRW is one of my forum hero's, I tend to believe anything he posts :-) Walter Biscardi was a hero, but he went over to the dark side........

don walker
texarkana, texas

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 31, 2012 at 4:05:32 pm

[Don Walker] "DRW is one of my forum hero's, I tend to believe anything he posts :-)"

Thank you! I'm flattered Don. And, if your filmmaking is half as good as your judgment of character, your clients are in very good hands. :)

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 31, 2012 at 4:00:30 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Though I'm guessing the story is a bit fanciful and a bit tongue in cheek. I love the punch line"

Actually Chris, the story is 100% true, and 100% accurately reported.

Both Mrs. Smith and Scott Wing really did exist, and the quote, "Like a woman's skirt, it must be long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting," was so memorable that I remember it today like it was yesterday.

It's certainly one of the best coming of age moments I can remember from grammar school, and I wrote it into a script for coming of age movie that, so far, has never been produced.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 31, 2012 at 4:13:06 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "[Chris Harlan] "Though I'm guessing the story is a bit fanciful and a bit tongue in cheek. I love the punch line"

Actually Chris, the story is 100% true, and 100% accurately reported.

Both Mrs. Smith and Scott Wing really did exist, and the quote, "Like a woman's skirt, it must be long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting," was so memorable that I remember it today like it was yesterday.

It's certainly one of the best coming of age moments I can remember from grammar school, and I wrote it into a script for coming of age movie that, so far, has never been produced.
"

Well, I just love it.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 30, 2012 at 8:34:20 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "There you go Bill, that explains a lot. Now I truly understand our stylistic differences and their origins.
"

Yes David, I get it.

You are thoughtful and incisive and clever.

I am verbose, stupid and not worthy of intelligent consideration.

I'm absolutely sure that everyone here will be glad that you've cleared this up for all those who would otherwise be too thick to make up their own minds about such stuff.

I continue to stand in awe of your public service largesse?

: )

Point for you, sir. Well played.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Apr 2, 2012 at 12:43:35 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "The greatest influence on my writing style came from Mrs. Smith, my third grade English teacher. After she assigned a "theme paper" to the class, a single hand went up, and a fellow named Scott Wing asked Mrs. Smith how long that composition needed to be......
"

David, I've always been tempted to say this, and now I'm convinced that your major was English, and amongst your other passions, you should include writing.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 3, 2012 at 2:48:50 am

[Alexander Kallas] "David, I've always been tempted to say this, and now I'm convinced that your major was English, and amongst your other passions, you should include writing."

Thanks Alex! That really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and I need it.

I'm just lucky that I just had great teachers. But trust me, I still struggle with comma placement all the time. Often, I'll later stumble upon many of my commas so poorly placed that I cringe to think they will remain part of the permanent record for all to see in perpetuity. That's a scary thought...

Meanwhile, thank you so much for your ongoing support.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 30, 2012 at 2:05:49 am

Look again, Ewan. On my iPhone there is a Facebook 'Like' button. I'm using mobile Safari on the latest software version on an iPhone 4S.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 30, 2012 at 2:20:16 am

The like buttoning mobile seems to apply to the thread and not an individual post.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 29, 2012 at 6:41:49 pm

I don't post as much as I used to (or much in this forum), but it's typically during renders (some of which can take all day), running batch compressions, archiving projects, uploading to FTPs, downloading from FTPs, or when I just need a break from editing.

Or at night when my wife is watching a TV show I'm not interested in.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:53:33 pm

I spent over 20 years working and facilities. Now that I'm self employed, COW is the water cooler.
I do a fare amount of compression, hence my interest in MacPro and clustering as well.
Most of my editing is not supervised in person. There's moving files back and forth with compressed TCBurns. Lots of odd moments to type except when I'm out on a shoot.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:14:31 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Lots of odd moments to type except when I'm out on a shoot."

A couple weeks ago, in a couple of threads, I noticed that you weren't chiming in as would be expected, then somebody else almost begged you to respond. You must have been on a shoot.

don walker
texarkana, texas

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:51:36 pm

I don't have any job at the moment.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 5, 2012 at 1:40:42 am

[Don Walker] "P.S. Tim Wilson, please don't admonish me for trying to cut down the traffic on this forum, I truly don't think that anybody (including me) will stop coming to the Cow!
"

I'm so sorry for the late reply, Don! Been out sick, and just crawling back.

Dude, anybody who starts a thread asking other people to chime in is MY BEST FRIEND.

Carry on, my friend. Carry on!

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]