FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX users - stand up and be counted!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
FCPX users - stand up and be counted!
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:26:38 pm

I'm interested to know how many people on here are actually using FCPX for work in some way at the moment, if you're brave enough would you like to step forward?

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: FCPX users - stand up and be counted!
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:36:41 pm

Stepping up the the plate.

Return to posts index

Feral McElreavy
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:46:56 pm

I do. I use it for creative and professional projects. I am keeping my eye on CS6 though.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:51:29 pm

Really just interested in those who USE it, I know the reasons why some of you here don't .

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:49:09 pm

[Steve Connor] "I'm interested to know how many people on here are actually using FCPX for work in some way at the moment"

Still can't risk it and increasingly getting beyond the point where I actually care what happens to it because not nearly enough has happened to make it any more plausible as an option.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:00:11 pm

Yoiks. I view you as somewhat of a barometer. God knows you really put your back into FCPX like Jim and the rest, as opposed to us carpers.

what do you actually think is likely to happen so at this point? I'm spending my time bigging up PPro like a madser lately, I'm basically fantasising that its going to be in near enough good shape at 6 to carry the non-avid ship forward (not that I have anything against Avid)
are you still primarily editing on 7?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2012 at 12:03:56 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "[Steve Connor] "I'm interested to know how many people on here are actually using FCPX for work in some way at the moment"

Still can't risk it and increasingly getting beyond the point where I actually care what happens to it because not nearly enough has happened to make it any more plausible as an option.
"

So that I don't skew Steve's count, I'll just "me too" what Simon has to say here.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:05:22 pm

All my work for the past six months plus (except one project that I tried in Legacy - and got so frustrated I finally re-created it in X.)

That's amounted to about 25 overall finished projects thus far. (Projects as opposed to "videos" since I've had broadcast spot job tickets where I delivered 4 spots inside one overall project)

Shortest was :15 HD TV. Longest was 35 min corporate video.

I've delivered work out of X to six specific states, half a dozen broadcast affiliates, and via Vimeo pro to nationwide client locations for potential password access by thousands of employees in many different states.

I"ve also had to deliver work on DVDs twice to duplication facilities and each time have tried to convince them that it would be so much easier to simply make files for their laptops rather then burn DVDs for those same laptops - but change is hard out there in the real world.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:14:13 pm

Bill, I wish you all the best. But your world is not mine.

Tim

Return to posts index

Don Scioli
on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:23:01 pm

I've tried many times, each time a new update comes out I try it with new fervor. But it lets me down every time, with by crashing, the magnetic timeline, pulling my hair out trying to delete one frame, on and on. So I'm still using 7 and making the move to Avid.

Return to posts index

Tony Badea
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:29:15 pm

I work with FCPX and Motion 5 all day every day and I love it.

Tony

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:44:44 pm

Just started using it. Use PP also. FCPX is blazing fast and efficient and perfect for some of my work. PP is more convenient for other jobs. At the end of the day, I'm a total agnostic. Use what tool gets the job done best and fastest and move on.

Return to posts index

nick ring
on Mar 29, 2012 at 12:38:27 am

I work at a small public access TV station. We historically used FCP (except for trimming and titling meeting coverage on Canopus capture boxes (ugh)). With the transition from tapes to AVCHD cameras for meeting coverage we adopted Premiere Pro CS5 for quick turn around to air without need of an intermediary codec. Users were still trained on FCP7. While legacy members still use FCP7 and we still use Premiere for our meeting turnaround, I'm moving forward with training new members on FCPX and the response has been immensely positive.

For the needs/experience of our users, FCPX is great and while one could point at this and say, "See, not pro!", I see another slice of the overall market making meaningful (and artful) content and with tools that are aiding and improving that process.

For myself, I've moved over to FCPX for personal and work-related projects and am mostly pleased. Like anyone else, I have my list of issues, but I can work with it where it's at and look forward to its growth in a non-distant future.

-nick

Return to posts index

Noam Kroll
on Mar 29, 2012 at 1:10:21 am

I use it nearly every day on small projects for broadcast.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Mar 29, 2012 at 1:33:01 am

I'm using it now for a 3.5 minute documentary profile.

But I'm now wishing I had started this in Premiere, because I'm doing a fair amount of After Effects shots for the project, and the time taken to render out movies in After Effects and then import them in FCP X and place them on the timeline is adding up.

Dynamic link in Premiere and After Effects would have made this go a lot quicker.

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Using Motion vs After Effects
on Mar 29, 2012 at 1:53:50 am

I'm curious why After Effects instead of Motion (not that FCPX sends to Motion either at the moment)? Specific AE feature that would be harder or impossible to do in Motion?

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
Re: Using Motion vs After Effects
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:35:56 am

I don't know Motion that well. I use it for lower thirds titles in FCP X, and for that, it's good because you can bring the title design into FCP X from Motion, and then tweak "published" parameters within X, and change text content.

BUt for heavier duty motion graphics (mostly 3D picture collages with a lot of camera moves, fancy map graphics, etc)., I've stuck with After Effects. Generally, it's because After Effects seems like it is always ahead features-wise by a version or two (3d camera, depth of field effects, etc.), and also because I find a lot of AE tutorials when I'm trying to do something new.

And then, yes, there's the fact that there's no dynamic linking between Motion and X.

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 29, 2012 at 1:56:20 am

Been doing most of my "at home" freelance work on it except where not ideal. Then it's FCP7. None of my main post-prod jobs are in X but that's to be expected. Even if it were a complete NLE last June, post facilities don't usually switch out that quickly.

Ironically, it's opened up a new avenue of work for me: Training FCP editors at shops how to edit on Avid. Of course, if X gets any traction in the post industry in the next 3-5 years, I'll be able to train people in X as well.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:28:53 am

Using it in "some way"...

Also looking toward NAB and Adobe...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:52:18 am

[Steve Connor] "I'm interested to know how many people on here are actually using FCPX for work in some way at the moment, if you're brave enough would you like to step forward?"

Steve, I hope you don't mind if I add a couple of questions to your poll.

Among those using FCPX for work, what's the one top feature in FCPX you can't imagine giving up, and what's the one change you'd most like to see in the next release?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Mar 29, 2012 at 6:44:07 am

I'll put my hand up.

Apart from using FCP7 to import XF files onto the system I've been using FCPX since it was released 9 months ago and can't see any reason to stop using it or switch.

I can't say it's been an easy journey or that I have not questioned my decision to use the software but I'm now really excited to be working with FCPX.

But then we probably fit the customer profile for this software. We are a small production house doing almost everything internally with no real need to send files out for external production work.

We have now produced around 15 programmes on the system and each one gets faster as I learn how to circumnavigate the present flaws of the system, the main one being sluggish behaviour once a project gets beyond 10 minutes.

I'm just back from 5 days filming and am about to import 300Gb of 1080p files onto the system. I know that once I've created the various events it will take me a very short time to organise the files into various categories through using keyword collections. Probably a couple of hours.

Clip skimming is an incredibly powerful tool for anylysing material quickly and accurately.

I really look forward to the next update because I'm confident it will address even more of the inherent flaws in this new software.

Return to posts index

Tapio Haaja
on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:57:51 am

I used it three months last summer to create TV promos for national broadcaster here in Finland and I think there are lot of great features. Lately I've been using it only for my own small projects and my main issues are also stability and sluggishness.

But I've to say I'm little bit worried of FCPX because as far as I know FCPX and Motion are based on same engine. And I've been using Motion since version 1 and it hasn't never been very stable software especially if you make anything more complicated. So if Apple couldn't make Motion stable between 2004-2010 are they now going to do it? Of course it gets now more attention because rendering engine is part of FCPX but still I have to say I'm worried.

Last years I've been also testing betas of Adobe software such as Audition, Muse, Edge and Lightroom and I've to say even betas of Adobe softwares have been more stable than Apple's pro apps lately.

Best
Tapio Haaja

On-Air Promotion Producer
http://avseikkailuja.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:08:16 pm

[Walter Soyka] "what's the one top feature in FCPX you can't imagine giving up"

Keywords.

[Walter Soyka] "change you'd most like to see in the next release"

Color code roles

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:26:57 pm

[Richard Herd] "[Walter Soyka] "what's the one top feature in FCPX you can't imagine giving up"
"

The skimmer!

[Richard Herd] "[Walter Soyka] "change you'd most like to see in the next release"

Color code roles"
Agree with this

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:31:57 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Among those using FCPX for work, what's the one top feature in FCPX you can't imagine giving up, and what's the one change you'd most like to see in the next release?"

I'm using it for everything I do at the moment; (mostly 1-4 minute direct-to-the-web stuff), except if I'm doing effects or animation (then it's After Effects).

Top feature for me: Editing on my Macbook Pro without rendering. Also, I wouldn't want to give up the Motion created graphics templates that save me so much time. Third best feature: Keywording.

One feature I'd like to see in the next release: even more realtime performance!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Mar 29, 2012 at 12:46:15 pm

I use it for 90% of my work but I have had to run back to 7 because of major issues outlined here:http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/28153 I like the promise of X, but I too will be watching what happens at the Adobe booth in Vegas, albeit on the web from Texarkana, Texas.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:38:11 pm

Here.

But I also use legacy and PP.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 30, 2012 at 6:36:29 pm

I've been using it on "at home", unsupervised projects. Both freebees for clients and paid projects. Mostly commercials or shorter (under 5 min.) web marketing videos. No local clients (production companies and facilities) have migrated yet that I'm aware of. (A few independents, yes.) I also use FCP 7, PPro CS 5.5, Avid Symphony/MC 6 and Smoke on the same system. FCP 7 continues to be the dominant client software for me.

Right now I feel X is too buggy and too unreliable to put in front of a client. Most of the bugs are major annoyances rather than deal-breakers. Most of the big-name 3rd party plug-ins are a bit touchy and many quite sluggish, leaning on unusable. Built-ins and a lot of the freebees some of you have created are pretty good and responsive.

Stability for me (i.e. crashes) has been reasonably good; but as far as flat out rock-n-roll sturdiness, it doesn't come anywhere close to Avid or even FCP 7 yet. Because it isn't a complete dog - and some things are very fast and innovative - I'm still willing to give a chance. It will be critical that Apple fix the very real performance issues this year, though.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 30, 2012 at 6:57:04 pm

[Oliver Peters] "It will be critical that Apple fix the very real performance issues this year, though."

It will be interesting to see how far this gets how quickly.

There are loads of voices loudly proclaiming that it's blindingly fast and reliable, so will Apple see it as a priority or will they do the easier thing and keep adding "features" that will do the job of selling more units more effectively?

Fixing performance issues just isn't that sexy, as we all know.

(I'd also say that it's probably only the more demanding users (of which there clearly aren't that many as yet) who will be experiencing the worst problems.)

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:12:15 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Fixing performance issues just isn't that sexy, as we all know."

I doubt Apple will be let off the hook either way. If they focus on performance, people will claim that they've topped out on their features. If they add features, people will complain that they have no interest in improving performance.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:17:22 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "There are loads of voices loudly proclaiming that it's blindingly fast and reliable, so will Apple see it as a priority or will they do the easier thing and keep adding "features" that will do the job of selling more units more effectively?"

The thing I find with most of the local, fellow users I know is the initial experience is that they are impressed by the speed. Then, once they actually dig in with real projects, they start to run into the pitfalls, like the title issues discussed in several threads.

[Simon Ubsdell] "(I'd also say that it's probably only the more demanding users (of which there clearly aren't that many as yet) who will be experiencing the worst problems.)"

I know for a fact that Apple is in contact with a number of demanding customers and partners, too. There is at least recognition of items to be addressed. Where that falls into the list of priorities will be an unknown. I think an interesting "tell" will be at NAB in a few weeks. Not Apple, per se, but rather how many other folks demonstrate a product or a workflow as "working with" FCP X.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Phil Mozolak
on Mar 31, 2012 at 10:52:08 pm

I converted and erased FCP 6. I love it. I'm able to work more efficiently for broadcast.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 1, 2012 at 5:23:13 pm

For fun and the experience I used it (for the first time for $) for a sub one minute web piece with very uncomplicated audio. Also made the gfx in Motion 5. For some reason going between X and Motion and back again seemed to cause some crashes, but other than that - for this particular project - I found it if be fast and efficient. So it's not entirely without merit. I just wish I had some idea where they are going with this.

Tim

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Apr 1, 2012 at 6:24:07 pm

We use it on 4 machines pretty much exclusively now. There is one last machine that has FCP legacy installed, but it is collecting dust, unless I have to 7toX some project, which worked fine so far.

FCPX has been used here on several documentaries (up to 52-minutes, 7000 clips), global commercial-campaigns, cinema commercials, corporate, short-films, and even as a LIVE-text-tool ...you name it. It is more efficient and fun to work with.

Although it is not finished yet (e.g. HDSDI preview missing) we find the advantages it has in mediamanagement and editing beat the missing features easily. FCP7 is simply not an alternative, maybe PP or Avid.

We also use Motion90% as our compositing/effects-tool. AE hardly gets opened, basically only when we

Return to posts index

Phil Mozolak
on Apr 1, 2012 at 7:33:27 pm

I think I know where you're going. Perhaps. You didn't want to like it but you do. Albeit the crashes which may have been due to fonts. I've seen that happen in version 1.0.2. Fcpx has the mark of mark of making editors out of everyone. Which it's not. Tech in general is making the role of the editor change. We all know it.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 1, 2012 at 10:16:01 pm

At its present price point I would love for it to work. Who wouldn't? But the reality is that for the vast majority of my work - just from a delivery standpoint and setting aside any other pecadillos - it just wouldn't work for me. In this one narrow circumstance I thought it might. And it did, for the most part, nicely.

Tim

Return to posts index

Ian Lumsden
on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:17:13 am

I am a professional editor and filmaker and I have just completed a couple of excellent videos using FCPX. It is an awesome software and is making my work easier and helping me cut faster. It has some quirks that you have to work around (link the concept of "events") especially when you are a legacy FCP7 user like I was but once you get into the program and start using it you will not be able to go back to the old version. And now that I have overcome my prejudices to the event terminology I like the way it manages media. FCPX is an amazing next step in editing and it's making me money.

Return to posts index

Frank Valtellina
on Apr 10, 2012 at 3:29:16 am

Since I shifted to FCPX I'm not going to get back. Now I'm ten times faster than before. I wish Apple continues to develope this amazing software.

Return to posts index

Matthew Abourezk
on Apr 16, 2012 at 12:01:40 am

Exclusively using FCPX and Motion... finished about 30 videos so far, mostly corporate stuff.
Though I still do miss some basic functionality that should exist in X, I wouldn't EVER want to go back to FCP7.

Keep it coming Apple.

Talkingbox Digital Media Group, Inc.
http://www.talkingboxdmg.com
(203) 249-7718

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Apr 16, 2012 at 10:19:56 pm

Using it it here as well along with FCP 7. I tried to install the latest Avid Media Composer Trial on my mac and can't get it to run. Just keeps crashing.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Phil Mozolak
on Apr 18, 2012 at 2:51:10 am

Strong info to check out
Hosts: Leo Laporte and Alex Lindsay.

NAB Show 2012, and more.

Guests: Larry Jordan, Allan Tepper and Daryn Okada

Download or subscribe to this show at twit.tv/mbw.

We invite you to read, add to, and amend our show notes.

Bandwidth for MacBreak Weekly is provided by Cachefly.

Running time: 1:41:20

Title MacBreak Weekly 295: The Mac Is Just A Dongle
Author TWiT
Published April 17, 2012 6:02 PM
Genre Technology › Gadgets
Technology › Software How-To
Technology › Tech News
Language English
Copyright This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License - Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/
Owner Leo Laporte
Duration 101 min
File 46.49 mb
Sent via Instacast

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]