FORUMS: list search recent posts

xdcam & fcp x

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
xdcam & fcp x
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:55:44 pm

Was just about to purchase an EX1 I have read there is a codec conversion plugin' which is downloadable but is this going to be a big problem going forward, why haven't they supported XDCAM from the start.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: xdcam & fcp x
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:24:06 pm

It seems Sony has to do some work on their side.
I'm still trying to piece this together as I use the EX1.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jun 21, 2011 at 9:15:39 pm

Apple: Sony's problem

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 21, 2011 at 9:36:25 pm

I remember how long it took Sony to get things working in Snow Leopard. They do not move swiftly.

BTW Sony's XDCAM Browser, which is replacing, ClipBrowser and XDCAM Transfer, was released. It's at version 1.2 and it's still useless compared to the other two EOL apps.

Once Lion comes out, I expect Sony's glacial response may cause some to look to other NLEs or other cameras. Sony USA support site, specific to downloads at least, still isn't Safari friendly.

To be honest I'm losing faith in Sony's support of Apple products generally. Sad to say.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jun 21, 2011 at 10:02:17 pm

Keep in mind that typically Sony is about one year behind Apple on support. So far with every level of XDCAM, Sony's support inside of FCP had been one year behind.

So... As a workaround, use the Sony Transfer program to import your media OUTSIDE (That is to use the stand-alone program to transfer) FCP X and then try to import that into FCP X. If that doesn't work, you'll have to transcode everything into ProRes422 or whatever is FCP X friendly.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 21, 2011 at 10:24:46 pm

Thanks for that Wayne. The irony is that XDCAM Transfer will likely be broken under Lion. Sony has already EOLd. XDCAM Browser (which is horrible so far) has hooks into FCP7.

So when Lion rolls out, especially on new systems, there may be no reasonable way to get XDCAM EX into FCPX.

I'm going to have to upgrade my main workstation to Lion fairly quickly so I'll have to keep one of my "little" computers on Snow Leopard just to use XDCAM Transfer and then move the file on my network.

What a KLUDGE. It certainly may push me to look to Panasonic for my next camera. I can have one company's products hold me back from using other professional stuff I need to stay compatible with.

Basically someone getting a new MBP or MP with Lion installed won't have an easy way to use XDCAM.

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:57:27 am

I'm not entirely sure how it works but can't you just take the raw media files from card after recording with the EX1 and convert to ProRes and use that media in FCP X then archive the, it is, the BPAV file?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]