FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pro or EOL coming soon?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
New Mac Pro or EOL coming soon?
on Mar 28, 2012 at 4:04:14 pm

UK store still showing 3 days for 8 Core Mac Pros as are a few more countries that had stock last week.

US and Canadian stores still have them though, I'm still hoping for an announcement either way soon!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: New Mac Pro or EOL coming soon?
on Mar 28, 2012 at 5:50:03 pm

Apple's timetables can be s a bit inscrutable as we attempt to reach the channel flow. It would seem that getting a new model out before NAB would be good for marketing assuming some vendors would use such models as party of their NAB booths. If that were not possible (I'm not sure it is) then the timetable is pretty much do whim.

I personally think the channels are still functioning despite what is probably now minuscule sales simply to have the supply chain ready for new machines. I can't see a reason to delay EOL if that's their end game since such a call would clean what's left in the channels anyway for those few who want to grab a last machine before they go away.

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:12:45 pm

You won't get new Mac Pros until Intel's new Ivy Bridge processors are released - pos last week of April.

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:17:31 pm

So I've heard. I noted that I wasn't sure it would be possible.

People do seem to keep throwing artificial deadlines around whereas the only real one is when the chips are ready and Apple can get them in quantity.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:36:34 pm

waited till last minute due to year end budget.
Im glad there wont be any out for awhile.
refreshing a half-dozen Mac Pro's is both exciting and exhausting :P

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:55:39 pm

Read somewhere that Intel is is opening up their 10 Gig-E licensing and will start to become standard in most computers. Hopefully this is the case with the new Mac Pros and or some sort of Networking SAN via Thunderbolt. I would think with Xsan being included in Lion they are not going to do away with the Mac Pro's yet. Just my thoughts, they probably have holes, give me a break it's the end of the day!

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 29, 2012 at 2:40:55 am

[Liam Hall] "You won't get new Mac Pros until Intel's new Ivy Bridge processors are released - pos last week of April."

The Ivy Bridge chips coming this year are not Xeons, thus not dual processor. If Apple were going to abandon the Xeon in the Mac Pro, they could have done so last year with Sandy Bridge-E. Either there will be a new Mac Pro based on the E5-2600 Xeon that Intel just started shipping (the same chips that will go into the HP Z820), or there won't be a new one at all.

Marco Arment lays it out well.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2012 at 12:17:44 am

[Steve Connor] "UK store still showing 3 days for 8 Core Mac Pros as are a few more countries that had stock last week.

US and Canadian stores still have them though, I'm still hoping for an announcement either way soon!
"

I finally gave up waiting and went with a new 17" and TBolt drives. I am enjoying the throughput, but who knows? Might be my last Mac. I'll take another look in the fall, but right now my old 8 Core is good enough, and my 17" is almost as good. Hopefully, by Fall, I'll have some sense of to what degree the Mac platform remains.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2012 at 2:56:47 am

[Chris Harlan] "I finally gave up waiting and went with a new 17" and TBolt drives."

Couldn't pull that windows trigger quite yet, eh? ;)

Just kidding, congrats those new quad core MBPs are very nice.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2012 at 3:52:43 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Couldn't pull that windows trigger quite yet, eh? ;)
"

Hey, I used to think Windows was great, and I have no problem going back that way. Its the ProRes thing, right now. My large clients have it as their delivery spec, though some of them are actively investigating others. So, IMX, DNx--OS X has it covered, but it also has ProRes covered, which Windows does not. And FCS3 still has a lot of life in it here in LA. If a Mac Pro does emerge, I will probably stay OS X--at least for a few more years.

[Jeremy Garchow] "those new quad core MBPs are very nice"

The Thunderbolt is pretty spiffy. And, that's on the small RAIDS.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:06:52 am

[Chris Harlan] "Hey, I used to think Windows was great, and I have no problem going back that way. Its the ProRes thing, right now. My large clients have it as their delivery spec, though some of them are actively investigating others. So, IMX, DNx--OS X has it covered, but it also has ProRes covered, which Windows does not. And FCS3 still has a lot of life in it here in LA. If a Mac Pro does emerge, I will probably stay OS X--at least for a few more years"

There's plenty of ways to make ProRes movies from an external hardware recorder from a baseband video source.

The good thing is, if you need windows, you can use your MBP for just that purpose.

Did you read today that 51% of US households have an Apple product (according to a cnbc poll)? Craziness.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:22:59 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "There's plenty of ways to make ProRes movies from an external hardware recorder from a baseband video source.
"

Or I could buy a copy of Episode Engine for the price of the Macbook Pro and TBolt drive. Of course, that seems just dumb.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Did you read today that 51% of US households have an Apple product (according to a cnbc poll)? Craziness.
"

A kick in the pants, huh? Who knew there were so many Professionals out there.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:37:06 am

[Chris Harlan] "Or I could buy a copy of Episode Engine for the price of the Macbook Pro and TBolt drive. Of course, that seems just dumb."

I'm just saying, you don't need a Mac or Episode to deliver ProRes, and they are cheaper than an MBP.

[Chris Harlan] "A kick in the pants, huh? Who knew there were so many Professionals out there."

Yes, considering Windows has an 85% OS share, iOSX has it's work cut out for it in the Pro department.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:48:52 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Chris Harlan] "Or I could buy a copy of Episode Engine for the price of the Macbook Pro and TBolt drive. Of course, that seems just dumb."

I'm just saying, you don't need a Mac or Episode to deliver ProRes, and they are cheaper than an MBP.
"

I thought I knew what you were talking about, but maybe I don't. What are the cheeper ways? Sounds intriguing.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:42:22 am

AJA KiPro mini
Atomos Ninja/Samurai
Sound Devices Pix

And probably another one I'm missing at the moment.

Return to posts index

Tapio Haaja
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:09:57 am

What I read Ivy Bridge server processors are coming out next fall so I guess there is possibility that Apple don't want to release new MacPro now with much delayed Sandy bridge server processor but instead will wait to Ivy Bridge server processors because with Ivy Bridge they can have USB3 ports and possible next-gen thunderbolt ports. And I guess Macbook Pro refresh what we'll propably see in a month will include USB3 ports. So do they wan't to release new MacPro now with features that are somewhat worse than in their Macbook Pro?

So I guess there's possibility that we won't know until next fall if MacPro is EOL.

Best
Tapio Haaja

On-Air Promotion Producer
http://avseikkailuja.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 29, 2012 at 1:26:44 pm

[Tapio Haaja] "What I read Ivy Bridge server processors are coming out next fall..."

Given how much trouble Intel had shipping the Sandy Bridge E5 Xeons, and the fact that Ivy Bridge is using their new 3D tri-gate transistors, I wouldn't bet on an on-time launch for Ivy Bridge E5 Xeons. Unless by "next fall" you mean Fall 2013, then I'd be pretty confident they'll ship by then.

[Tapio Haaja] "...so I guess there is possibility that Apple don't want to release new MacPro now with much delayed Sandy bridge server processor but instead will wait to Ivy Bridge server processors because with Ivy Bridge they can have USB3 ports and possible next-gen thunderbolt ports."

I don't see the logic. They waited this long for the E5 Xeon and would just skip a generation? Why? Either they're in the market or they aren't. Not shipping a Sandy Bridge Xeon Mac Pro is a tacit EOL, IMHO. Intel is't going to continue producing the Gainestown and Westmere Xeons found in the current (2010) Mac Pro, so if the Mac Pro has a future, it lies with the chips that Intel is manufacturing.

Thunderbolt is of little consequence on a tower equipped with PCIe 3.0 slots that offer more than an order of magnitude greater bandwidth than Thunderbolt.

[Tapio Haaja] "And I guess Macbook Pro refresh what we'll propably see in a month will include USB3 ports. So do they wan't to release new MacPro now with features that are somewhat worse than in their Macbook Pro?"

USB3 can be added with a third party controller if Apple is worried about USB feature parity.

[Tapio Haaja] "So I guess there's possibility that we won't know until next fall if MacPro is EOL."

As far as I'm concerned, we'll know this month (April). If HP and other vendors are shipping E5-based workstations and Apple isn't, then I'd say Apple is clearing the channel before quietly EOL-ing the Mac Pro as we know it.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Tapio Haaja
on Mar 29, 2012 at 1:51:49 pm

[Andrew Richards] "As far as I'm concerned, we'll know this month (April). If HP and other vendors are shipping E5-based workstations and Apple isn't, then I'd say Apple is clearing the channel before quietly EOL-ing the Mac Pro as we know it."

Yeah I guess and hope you're right. I'd really love to see new Macpro or EOL information soon so we can stop this speculating where Apple is heading :)

Best
Tapio Haaja

On-Air Promotion Producer
http://avseikkailuja.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:04:12 pm

[Tapio Haaja] "I'd really love to see new Macpro or EOL information soon so we can stop this speculating where Apple is heading :)"

Amen to that!

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:24:25 pm

[Andrew Richards] "[Tapio Haaja] "And I guess Macbook Pro refresh what we'll propably see in a month will include USB3 ports. So do they wan't to release new MacPro now with features that are somewhat worse than in their Macbook Pro?"

USB3 can be added with a third party controller if Apple is worried about USB feature parity.
"

And why--after all this time--would Apple finally embrace USB3? Not that I don't think they should. They should have done that a couple of years ago. But why would they now?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:43:16 pm

[Chris Harlan] "And why--after all this time--would Apple finally embrace USB3? Not that I don't think they should. They should have done that a couple of years ago. But why would they now?"

I'm not saying they would, just that they could. Apple doesn't need to wait for Intel to integrate it into their system controllers. Apple was not an early adopter of USB2 either. Plus, USB3 is hardly ubiquitous even now.

Heck, given how much Apple is outpacing the rest of the industry with Mac sales growth since Thunderbolt came out, and given how USB3 is still rather uncommon on PCs, I wouldn't be surprised to see them neck and neck in adoption rates despite USB3's age.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:55:39 pm

[Andrew Richards] "Chris Harlan] "And why--after all this time--would Apple finally embrace USB3? Not that I don't think they should. They should have done that a couple of years ago. But why would they now?"

I'm not saying they would, just that they could."

No, I know. My response was actually aimed more at the poster who you were responding to, and in support of what you were saying.

[Andrew Richards] "Apple was not an early adopter of USB2 either."

That's true.

[Andrew Richards] "Plus, USB3 is hardly ubiquitous even now. "

I disagree with that a bit, though. Its been standard on MacBook Pro-comparable portable workstations for quite a while.

As to Thunderbolt--I finally jumped in because there are finally enough devices to justify my upgrade, and I'm very happy with the speed. If a few more devices come out, I'll stop thinking about USB3 entirely.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:07:09 pm

[Andrew Richards] "I wouldn't be surprised to see them neck and neck in adoption rates despite USB3's age."

With Acer, Asus and Lenovo coming out with Thunderbolt systems it may well give that the edge at least in some niches. If you have a new Mac and a Thunderbolt peripheral, which Windows laptop would you get? Thunderbolt will be usable cross platform whereas USB3 can only be used on the declining MacPro with USB3 PCIe card. Keep in mind that Apple's Laptop market share is larger than their overall market share. Basically Thunderbolt could dominate in the laptop category given the cross platform use of peripherals.

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on Mar 30, 2012 at 2:11:23 am

[Andrew Richards] "As far as I'm concerned, we'll know this month (April). If HP and other vendors are shipping E5-based workstations and Apple isn't, then I'd say Apple is clearing the channel before quietly EOL-ing the Mac Pro as we know it."

I tend to agree with that. However, Last time, the new Xeons were released in march and the new MacPro using said Xeons didn't come until July...

The E5 Xeon's came out this month, so we really won't know until the end of the summer at the latest. I'm hoping the fact that it's two years old and doesn't have Thunderbolt will make Apple pick up their heels a little more this time.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 30, 2012 at 3:20:19 pm

[John-Michael Seng-Wheeler] "Last time, the new Xeons were released in march and the new MacPro using said Xeons didn't come until July."

Didn't know that. Good point.

[John-Michael Seng-Wheeler] "I'm hoping the fact that it's two years old and doesn't have Thunderbolt will make Apple pick up their heels a little more this time."

I'm hoping Intel's delayed launch of the E5s did not preclude them delivering development units to partners so they could be ready when they shipped in volume.

Either way, if HP ships in April and Apple takes months more to do the same (assuming they are doing a new Mac Pro at all), it would seem like another bad omen.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on Mar 30, 2012 at 3:51:22 pm

I only remember because I was shopping for a computer in early July 2010, and..... where was apple? At the time of course, there was no doubt that a new MacPro was coming, It was just a question of how long was apple going to take?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:42:32 am

Here's part of the 51%

http://www.wimp.com/dadipad/

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:12:36 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Here's part of the 51%"

Perfect, no translation necessary.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:19:55 pm

[Jim Giberti] "Perfect, no translation necessary."

I thought it was pretty funny.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:23:59 pm

Stock running low in Australia now!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:24:26 pm

[Steve Connor] "Stock running low in Australia now!"

April is a big month in broadcast land.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:26:38 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "April is a big month in broadcast land."

So true, rumours abound! 4K FS700 from Sony for $9000 is my favourite at the moment

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]