FORUMS: list search recent posts

The editing revolution is over! WeVideo is here!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Mulligan
The editing revolution is over! WeVideo is here!
on Mar 26, 2012 at 6:01:55 pm

WeVideo is an online platform for collaborative video production in the cloud. We connect your web editing and your mobile device camera - and we enable you to tell your stories together with your friends. Any browser works - don’t worry about installation, software downloads and updates - all your files and edits are safely stored and accessible online.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: The editing revolution is over! WeVideo is here!
on Mar 26, 2012 at 6:48:58 pm

You failed to warn people about this service...

https://www.wevideo.com/terms-of-use

"You hereby grant to WeVideo a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, transferable license to reproduce, publically perform, publically display, distribute, and use your user content submitted, posted, created, or transmitted on or through, or otherwise associated with your use of, the Site or Services (collectively your "User Content") and any WeVideo videos created using User Content solely in connection with the Site and Services."

"You further grant to WeVideo a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, transferrable license to reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, make, have made, offer for sale, sell or otherwise use any WeVideo video exported from WeVideo and posted on any other WeVideo site or property, such as to the WeVideo Channel, for example, with the right to sublicense each and every such right."

Use it, and anything you upload, or produce...they can use for whatever reason they want...even sell it. But, they don't prevent you from using it for your purposes...at least they let you do that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 26, 2012 at 7:17:02 pm

The Pinterest lawyers had to back off and revise.

Be interesting to see if these folks have to do the same.

We're entering the era where once you post anything, it's instantly available to everyone - and the issues of who "creates" every part of every post creates a monstrous legal minefield that nobody has come even close to figuring out yet.

We're dealing with 21st century behavior using rules created largely with 19th century legal thinking.

I don't have a clue about the "right way" to handle all of this. But it's going to be a constant and on-going hassle until society comes to grips with whatever IP is going to become in a future that is increasingly totally connected and instantaneously accessible.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Gary Slickman
on Mar 26, 2012 at 7:57:58 pm

Wow Shane- I was almost to the end of your post before I realized that this was not a parody but in fact the new reality of TV.
Another reason the "cloud" paradigm is unsettling.

This may be a stretch but the story of the man who lost his deceased daughter’s voicemail because the service provider deleted them is another alarm sounded. The poor guy lost this connection with his daughter for all time. It's too bad he was unaware of the pitfalls and never made his own copies to protect this from happening. I believe however that this is the norm and too many rely on cyber ware which could be also referred to is cyber where? They don't not physically possess the asset and believe that their irreplaceable media is protected into perpetuity. It's out of their hands and their control.

The cloud should serve as an adjunct and convenience for sharing and distribution not an end all be all and major issues such as property and distribution rights are still to be determnined.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:11:37 pm

how does this fit in to the FCPX thread?
Should be moved into the Adobe Premiere after the Adobe announced the creative cloud solution.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:18:30 pm

[Thomas Frank] "Should be moved into the Adobe Premiere after the Adobe announced the creative cloud solution."

Adobe Creative Cloud is not browser-based. It will add some cloud-based services (including cloud storage and device and PC sync) to the desktop tools. See the Creative Cloud FAQ [link] under "What are the components of Adobe Creative Cloud?"

I think Avid showed a browser-based cloud editing solution at NAB in 2010, though.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:38:06 pm

It was more of a joke since this dogging FCPX is getting old but anyways that is true but did Avid ever deliver?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:31:37 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I think Avid showed a browser-based cloud editing solution at NAB in 2010, though."

Yeah, I saw it demoed at the 2010 SMPTE tech conference. It was pretty cool.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 26, 2012 at 7:24:26 pm

There mixmoov but the site doesn't provide much info about terms.
Apparently they're partnering with Brightcove
http://www.tmcnet.com/tmc/videos/default.aspx?vid=6136

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:25:21 pm

[Shane Ross] "publically perform, publically display, distribute"

[Shane Ross] "distribute, publicly display, publicly perform"

Gotta love the classy way the spell "publicly" wrong in one paragraph and right in the other!

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Gary Slickman
on Mar 27, 2012 at 12:14:13 pm

[Shane Ross] "publically perform, publically display, distribute"

[Shane Ross] "distribute, publicly display, publicly perform"

[Simon Ubsdell] Gotta love the classy way the spell "publicly" wrong in one paragraph and right in the other!

Not to mention the lack of proof reading.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 27, 2012 at 12:18:57 pm

[Gary Slickman] "Not to mention the lack of proof reading."

Lawyers, huh? Great to see their worth their money.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:00:37 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "[Gary Slickman] "Not to mention the lack of proof reading."

Lawyers, huh? Great to see their worth their money."

Surely you mean "Great to see they're worth their money" :-)

I, of course, would never make any spolling mistaks

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:03:04 pm

[Neil Patience] "Surely you mean "Great to see they're worth their money" :-)"

Oh dear!!!! That backfired a bit, didn't it!? :-(

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:03:27 pm

[Shane Ross] "You failed to warn people about this service..."

The old adage that "nothing is free... it may be unpriced, but it isn't free" is more true today than ever.

[Gary Slickman] "The cloud should serve as an adjunct and convenience for sharing and distribution not an end all be all and major issues such as property and distribution rights are still to be determnined."

Try explaining that to young people today. They have an absolute blind faith in all technology and trust everything in the cloud, starting with FaceBook and Google and going downhill from there.

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:41:19 pm

[Brian Mulligan] "we enable you to tell your stories together with your friends. "

I've always held dear the principle that a camel is a horse designed by committee. Anyway, none of my friends can edit...

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:21:25 pm

[Bill Davis] "The Pinterest lawyers had to back off and revise.

Be interesting to see if these folks have to do the same.

We're entering the era where once you post anything, it's instantly available to everyone - and the issues of who "creates" every part of every post creates a monstrous legal minefield that nobody has come even close to figuring out yet.

We're dealing with 21st century behavior using rules created largely with 19th century legal thinking.

I don't know Bill, I guess when I look at this I don't see that complex of a situation. I don't think the company behind WeVideo should automatically get any rights to the content that's created with their software just like I don't think Adobe should automatically get the rights to something that's created using AE or PS, for example.

Now, all the people that contribute to the project, sure, that's a potential problem but I guess I don't see that as much different of a problem than if a bunch of people collaborated on a project in person (w/o signing any contracts or agreements) and then started arguing over who owned what.

Maybe the person that initially starts the project setups up the rights structure (creative commons, exclusive ownership, etc.,) and then everyone who comes on board has to acknowledged and agree to the rights before they are allowed access to the project?

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:34:41 pm

Have you read Vimeo and YouTube license agreements. Certainly plenty of business have their video sitting on their servers. Of course that's not a direct parallel because most using the above sites want their video spread. They also have privacy features . . . but that doesn't changes the license agreements.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 27, 2012 at 7:06:33 pm

I have read the Vimeo terms of service and they are nothing like the WeVideo terms Shane posted. Vimeo basically retains the right to stream your content via their site, their app and via embeds on other sites using Vimeo's player or API (depending on your privacy settings and if you granted use via Creative Commons). Once you delete the video from your Vimeo account Vimeo loses these rights.

WeVideo, on the other hand, seemingly owns a copy of your work forever and can do anything they want with it.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]