FORUMS: list search recent posts

Older Mac Pros/graphics cards

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Blackard
Older Mac Pros/graphics cards
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:37:12 pm

Already there is conflicting information about FCP X on older Mac Pros, especially 2006 models. Seems that the issue is really about the graphics cards. Newer graphics cards required for FCP X are not officially supported on Mac Pro 1,1 machines, which means that the machine itself is not officially supported. The App Store won't let you buy FCP X if they cannot detect a supported card on the machine you are using to make the purchase.

But the Apple support forums are full of people claiming that cards like the ATI Radeon HD 5770 do work with 2006-2007 Mac Pros. I bought a 5770 for my 2007 Mac Pro, and it works fine once I upgraded to 10.6.7.

Waiting to see how others do with FCP X on machines like mine...

Pat Blackard
Texas

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Older Mac Pros/graphics cards
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:42:10 pm

I also heard from someone in another forum with MacPro 1.1 (2006) and Radeon 5770 and was able to make FCPX purchase.

Let me know if you find any unusually bombs as I'm a hair's breath away from getting the 5770. I don't expect super speedy (I'll get the next MacPro for that) but I want functional in the mean time. Unlike other's I'm not going to cry about needing to make a $249 GPU purchase for a $299 FCPX app. That's no worse then some good training and at the very least that's all I need to do for the moment.

Return to posts index

Patrick Blackard
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:25:48 pm

I got the 5770 because it was the only card I could buy that had a chance of working on my Mac. I was worried about my old ATI Radeon X1900 XT dying and leaving me with a dead machine. I read somewhere that my setup will only work with the DVI output, which is what I use.

I didn't notice any difference with the new card in Final Cut, Compressor, or Photoshop--no problems, but no faster. I rarely do stuff that would require a lot of rendering.

Here's some tests with the ATI cards in first generation Mac Pros: http://barefeats.com/wst10g5.html

It does bother me that within 3 years after buying this expensive workstation, it was unsupported by the manufacturer as far as replacing the graphics card.

Patrick Blackard
Texas-based shooter/gaffer, very part-time editor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:38:39 pm

I can deal with $249 for a new GPU but the problem is that Apple's Online Store says 5770 only for Mid 2010 and newer yet everyone reports it's good going back to the original 2006 MacPro. Why the duck on official support from Apple?

People are reporting that old CPU/ 5770 combination allows FCPX to be purchased and works.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:02:22 pm

I have a MacPro 1.1 Quad Core 2.6 with a Radeon X1900 OS 10.6.7
FCPX downloaded and installed fine and seems to work.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:22:56 pm

That's truly odd though as the 1900 is on the "not supported" list.
Certainly the 2600 resulted in my not being able to order.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jun 21, 2011 at 9:33:47 pm

Hmm odd indeed but yep it works fine.
To be honest though I wouldnt worry too much as quite frankly its way off being of any real use in any professional collaborative environment.
Its fine if you want to edit and post your DSLR footage onto Vimeo but as for anything vaguely approaching a real broadcast environment its totally lacking in this current guise.
Has potential but is yet to realise it.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 21, 2011 at 10:06:02 pm

[Neil Patience] "Has potential but is yet to realise it."

Apple released FCPX Training Suite so I do plan on doing some training while they develop the Pro features. FCPX is what you buy so you can go through the new Ripple Training Tutorials more or less.

Return to posts index

Matthew Ford
on Aug 17, 2011 at 3:00:54 am

I have a 2006 mac pro, running snow leopard, and fcp 6.0.6, installed the ATI Radeon HD 5770, and everything seemed to be working fine until got an error message when i tried to run fcp, telling me that my graphics card didn't have enough vram. Took my box in to the mac store, and the guy at the genius bar told me that this card isn't running at full potential. Do i need to return this great new card, and get an old NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or nVIDIA QUADRO FX 4500 or something? What do you guys suggest?

thanks guys

Return to posts index

Jeff Orig
on Oct 13, 2011 at 5:12:05 pm

Hi All,

I just stumbled upon this and thought I would throw in my experience.
I have a Quad Core Mac Pro 1,1 and FCPX 10.0.0 worked fine with my old 1900 graphics card.

I too read about issues on no upgrade allowed for FCPX 10.0.1 for this configuration. So I bought the 5770 and installed. BTW, I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on this machine.

The card installed fine and I just upgraded to 10.0.1 as well. All seems fine there too. I only did the upgrade yesterday, so still in the early stages.

This set up runs a little bit quicker than before. Renders seem faster and thumbnails seem to load faster as well in FCPX.

After Effects renders are way faster than before if this is of any use for anyone.

So, if you are considering the upgrade and want to keep that old Mac 1,1 running. This is a good option.

BTW, I also just picked up a 21" iMac with the 6770 Raedon Graphics with Lion. And it seems to run FCPX 10.0.1 at about the same as the Mac 1,1 with the new graphics card. This is just to give you a comparison.

Nothing scientific here, just all based on my general sense editing the same project using an external FW800 drive on both machines.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]