FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop CS6 Beta released, with magnetic timeline!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Photoshop CS6 Beta released, with magnetic timeline!
on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:00:33 am

Watch the section on video at the end! Seriously though some nice new features in CS6

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
Re: Photoshop CS6 Beta released, with magnetic timeline!
on Mar 22, 2012 at 9:28:53 am

It looks fantastic. I hope they saved some of the awesome juice for new PP.

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:04:45 pm

[Steve Connor] "Photoshop CS6 Beta released, with magnetic timeline!"

You beat me to it!

But seriously, this is interesting stuff:

1. PS is now underpinned by Mercury Engine and therefore runs on CUDA juice. This is very disruptive in terms of Mac GPUs, way more than PPro is. There are a hell of a lot more PS users than there are PPro users, I'd wager. Particularly on the Mac. Did Apple know this was coming? Could this be a factor in the rumors of a return to NVIDIA for new Macs? This summer holds a lot of promise for new Macs with Ivy Bridge in MacBooks and iMacs and the new Xeons for a new Mac Pro. If we get exclusively AMD GPUs and no Mac Pro this year it will be bad mojo for Mac-centric creative pros well beyond the video realm.

2. Those in-line re-sampling selectors make me very happy, I wish I had them all along.

3. I'm curious to see how this new DRM/Licensing thing plays out. I know there was a great gnashing of teeth about the new licensing model back when it was first announced, particularly with regard to how upgrade pricing would be treated (though I haven't followed it since to know if it has been adjusted).

4. Some of the new features in that video strike me as feature creep. I know why video editing is there, photogs dipping toes in the video waters with their ubiquitous DSLRs, but it looks awkward at first glance. Same goes for the vector and text editing stuff. Isn't video, vector, and text layout what Premiere Pro, Illustrator, and InDesign are for? I guess this is for the Photoshop user who needs to work with vectors and text and video on the periphery but wouldn't be doing dedicated video, vector, and text layout work. I dunno. Mixed feelings.

5. 64-bit only! So the Macs that can't run Lion also can't run CS6. There are also features on the Windows side that won't work in XP at all. Progress!

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:39:43 pm

The rumor mill did put out news of a return to Nvidia, but more lately towards integrated Intel graphics, at least in the MBP. (There has been complete silence on a MacPro. I don't know what that means, but if no one is working on it, there is no one to leak info.) Anyway, if Mountain Lion will include external GPU support via Thunderbolt, we can attach whatever we want, upgrade at will, and that would be great!

Now, if Mountian Lion STILL won't support it, well.... HP for all?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:43:42 pm

[Bobby Mosca] "Anyway, if Mountain Lion will include external GPU support via Thunderbolt, we can attach whatever we want, upgrade at will, and that would be great!"

Thunderbolt wil need to get a lot faster for an outboard GPU to offer up all its available power. And by faster, I mean at least double or quadruple the speeds of Thunderbolt 1.0.

Thunderbolt is a great step up from FW800 for MacBooks and iMacs, but a replacement for PCIe slots, it ain't. By a long shot.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Mar 22, 2012 at 4:17:34 pm

Well, that Red Rocket demo that came up a little while ago seemed to work pretty well. Here's the link again:

Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 22, 2012 at 5:14:59 pm

[Bobby Mosca] "Well, that Red Rocket demo that came up a little while ago seemed to work pretty well"

Hmm, that is really impressive. Makes me wonder about the Red Rocket's specs. Why do they call for minimum PCIe 2.0 8x if it can be happy with half as much bandwidth via Thunderbolt?

GPUs, particularly the high-end ones that would be desirable for NLE co-processing, often saturate 8-16 lanes of PCIe 2.0 (at least when they are driving big displays along with doing traditional GPU-intensive tasks). Thunderbolt 1.0 is essentially bandwidth-equivalent to 4 lanes of PCIe 2.0. Maybe if they are not driving monitors and are only being used as GPGPUs it would be plenty of pipe, but it would probably depend on the card and the application.

Intel has said that Thunderbolt's next rev will live atop PCIe 3.0 and could double the bandwidth. Then we might have something.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Mar 22, 2012 at 6:37:48 pm

Yeah, the Red Rocket is a monster. (It better be for $4750.) I'm not sure how it differs from a typical graphics card, though, as it's designed for Redcode That could have something to do with it. But there is an awful lot of data going back and forth in the demo. I'd like to see a demo with an Nvidia card to see if the same setup would help PPro's playback engine. As you say, we may have to wait for the TB upgrade for it to be generally applicable.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 22, 2012 at 2:17:34 pm

[Bobby Mosca]The rumor mill did put out news of a return to Nvidia, but more lately towards integrated Intel graphics, at least in the MBP.

That concerns the lower-end graphics processing. NVIDIA was originally supposed to provide both solutions, but they are apparently having issues with the Kepler platform and so they are (rumored to be) suggesting Apple stick with the Intel/Dedicated combo for the higher end MBP and Intel-only for the low end.

More here.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Mar 22, 2012 at 2:00:23 pm

It makes sense there as in X to me.

Yeah, go ahead and close that gap.

I don't want a hole there.

Fill it : )

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 22, 2012 at 5:48:03 pm

Good show, Steve.

Pretty hilarious.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:23:59 am

I honestly thought this was a joke headline.

Then I watched the video and realized it was completely true.

The Adobe team has actually coded "magnetism" into Photoshop's new video editing capabilities.

Wow.

I'm stunned.

I thought magnetism was the singular spawn of the devil - the tool purpose built to wreck video editing for human beings for all time.

And now it's crept into a tool in the enemy camp.

Worst an expensive tool designed for very smart, capable and talented people who work at the very highest levels of their craft!

Sell your stocks and raze the farm, arm yourself and head for the hills!!!

Keep your eyes to the skies searching out the flocks instinctively heading for safer climes.

Video editing armageddon must be nigh!

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 23, 2012 at 1:14:31 am

[Bill Davis] "Video editing armageddon must be nigh!"

I'll tell you what BIll, if the new PP has switched to a magnetic timeline without tracks then Adobe will have a hard enough time dealing with Aindreas let alone the professional editing world at large.

Here's the more likely way to read it, IMO.
Adobe added a little "Easy Bake Oven" for photographers to edit simple DSLR footage because everyone can shoot it now. A simplified, amateur product for the uninitiated.

I'm guessing they'll provide the professional community with the tools that they and they're clients are accustomed to. And if they added a way to switch on magnetism, who cares.

If Apple did the reverse, all would be well...except for the memory nonsense...and the constant Beach Blanket Bingo.

Trust me, I'm counting on Apple to do the right/smart thing with the evolution of this new adventure.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:56:25 am

[Jim Giberti] "Adobe added a little "Easy Bake Oven" for photographers to edit simple DSLR footage because everyone can shoot it now. A simplified, amateur product for the uninitiated."

LOL, that's really what it is, isn't it?

But look! You can put dissolves between clips and they dissolve! Wow! How cool is that?

Seriously though, it's a nice little add-on for DSLR photographers but that's about it.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:11:46 am

[David Lawrence] "Seriously though, it's a nice little add-on for DSLR photographers but that's about it."

Watch out David...

You've just described "magnetism" using the word "nice."

That could eventually come back to haunt you.

; )

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:20:39 am

[Bill Davis] "Watch out David...

; )"

LOL, I have no problem with ripple Bill. I just like being able to turn it off during the 90% of the time I don't want or need it. ;)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:23:07 am

[David Lawrence] "[Bill Davis] "Watch out David...

; )"

LOL, I have no problem with ripple Bill. I just like being able to turn it off during the 90% of the time I don't want or need it. ;)"

I'm just so confused here. Bill's doing hyperbolic handstands because he seems to believe that Adobe has cribbed Apple's wonder tool into Photoshop, but all I saw was a couple of clips being moved around on a single track/layer and Rippling when they were. I thought the Magnetic Timeline hoopla was all about attaching clips and bringing them along for a ride, attached audio and video moving out of your way, and the ability to drop relatively complex clusters of clips pretty much anywhere without the danger of clip collision. Sort of Ripple on steroids, animal tranquilizers, and dust from the pulverized planet of Gallifrey. All I saw in the Adobe spot was a bit of decade-old Ripple. Not that light NLE tools aren't a fine feature to add to Photoshop; I know there are times I've wished they were there. But, what is Bill on about? Am I missing something? Is there some slight of hand that I'm not attuned to in the video? I mean, I really can't see it.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Mar 23, 2012 at 8:15:16 am

[Chris Harlan] " But, what is Bill on about? Am I missing something? Is there some slight of hand that I'm not attuned to in the video? I mean, I really can't see it."

You're not missing anything. It Is NOT magnetic. It's just a nice, little video add on with a nice litte timeline that has tracks and allows you to ripple.
Oh, did I say it's not magnetic???

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 23, 2012 at 8:36:38 am

Good grief, it was a joke!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:00:43 pm

[Steve Connor] "Good grief, it was a joke!
"

And, a good one.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:23:17 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "It's just a nice, little video add on with a nice litte timeline that has tracks and allows you to ripple.
Oh, did I say it's not magnetic???"

Not to mention it has way more features than an early-generation Media 100.

I'm not trying to rain on everybody's parade, but this is still a beta, and it carries beta baggage.
To wit: when you install PS CS 6, it renders After Effects CS 5.5 useless. Bummer. When you uninstall it, AE 10.5 comes back to life. Whew.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:53:59 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I'm just so confused here. Bill's doing hyperbolic handstands"

that's confusing? ;)

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:10:45 am

A timeline in Photoshop just seems immoral.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:27:20 am

[Robert Brown] "A timeline in Photoshop just seems immoral.
"

I find it sexy. But I'm that kind of guy.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:45:27 am

The new timeline rules! Love everything about this rev so far. If PPro is anything like this it could do really well.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:58:45 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "The new timeline rules! Love everything about this rev so far. If PPro is anything like this it could do really well.
"

I have to say I am looking forward to this release.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:00:24 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I have to say I am looking forward to this release."

Let's hope they release a public Beta of it too

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:30:34 pm

Yeah I'm kinda bummed I'm not on the beta team anymore for CS. Should be an interesting NAB this year.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 23, 2012 at 1:46:25 am

[Bill Davis] "I honestly thought this was a joke headline.

Then I watched the video and realized it was completely true.

The Adobe team has actually coded "magnetism" into Photoshop's new video editing capabilities.

Wow.

I'm stunned.
"

Bill, what on earth are you talking about? All I saw was a timeline in Ripple mode. I'm stunned that you're stunned. In your mind, does the "magnetism" kingdom now incorporate anything that ripples? Does Avid have it now, too?

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Mar 23, 2012 at 1:49:18 am

[Bill Davis] "I thought magnetism was the singular spawn of the devil - the tool purpose built to wreck video editing for human beings for all time.

And now it's crept into a tool in the enemy camp. "

a) Other NLEs had magnetic timeline capabilities long, long before X. Edius for example. Difference is: you can switch it off (and it's off by default). Also single viewer mode btw., which is also there as an option, not a must.
So, again, nobody has a problem with the magnetic timeline when it makes sense. People have a problem when it doesn't make sense and you cannot switch it off. Plus, as Edius shows, you can have tracks and magnetic.
There isn't all that much "revolution" going on with X once you look around the "enemy camps".

b) That "magnetic" feature in Photoshop only applies to clips that are in one the same layer or video group and only when you ripple. If they're not (ie. on different tracks) or you just move clips around no magnetism going on at all.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:08:13 am

[Frank Gothmann] "There isn't all that much "revolution" going on with X once you look around the "enemy camps".
"

OK,

I *think* I get it.

Everything Apple did regarding X was evil and wrong as witnessed by the countless deep arguments and hundreds of thousands of on-going posts where legions who feel violated by the revision must stand up and endlessly condemn the company and what they've done.

but on the other hand, "there isn't all the much "revolution" going on with X."

Pardon me for a moment, I need to go make sure I remember how to spell "cognitive dissonance"...

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:19:42 am

[Bill Davis] "I *think* I get it.

Everything Apple did regarding X was evil and wrong as witnessed by the countless deep arguments and hundreds of thousands of on-going posts where legions who feel violated by the revision must stand up and endlessly condemn the company and what they've done.

but on the other hand, "there isn't all the much "revolution" going on with X."

Pardon me for a moment, I need to go make sure I remember how to spell "cognitive dissonance"..."

Adding 10 features to an app is certainly not the source of grief. Adding 10 while removing 20 others is.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:15:13 am

[Frank Gothmann] "Adding 10 features to an app is certainly not the source of grief. Adding 10 while removing 20 others is."

Not if the 10 are useful to the vast majority of everyday editors - and the 20 are critical to only those who have niche "big facility" needs.

That's what the professional business folks working at the top level label "efficient assortment."

Providing the most good for the largest consumer base possible.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:25:13 am

[Bill Davis] "Not if the 10 are useful to the vast majority of everyday editors - and the 20 are critical to only those who have niche "big facility" needs."

Range export, persistent in/out points, audio sync markers are about as "everyday" as you can possibly get.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:54:57 am

[David Lawrence] "Range export, persistent in/out points, audio sync markers are about as "everyday" as you can possibly get.
"

And are worth jettisoning if the trade-off is eventually building something new that meets MORE needs than the former program did.

An hour ago I was able to update a corporate video for a national health care client with a single click using the "share" menu in X and Vimeo Pro. No creating a standalone file. No FTP, No YouSendit, No hassles.

I was able to "publish" a revision directly out of X for clients access - with full password protection - instantly accessible in all their offices around the country by any stakeholder I wanted to send the password to via email - all with just a couple of clicks.

Things are changing.

I still think the team behind FCP-X understands those changes better than the competition, thus far.

Time will tell.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:19:10 am

[Bill Davis] "And are worth jettisoning if the trade-off is eventually building something new that meets MORE needs than the former program did."

Nope. They're essential NLE functions. Good design doesn't drop the essentials, it builds or improves on them. Calling it a trade-off is a false assumption. There's no trade-off. All these essential features could be included without any change to the way the program works.

[Bill Davis] "An hour ago I was able to update a corporate video for a national health care client with a single click using the "share" menu in X and Vimeo Pro. No creating a standalone file. No FTP, No YouSendit, No hassles. "

Not impressed. I'd gladly trade the "share" to Vimeo button for range export -- a function which is far more useful and necessary on an everyday basis.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:45:09 am

[David Lawrence] "Not impressed. I'd gladly trade the "share" to Vimeo button for range export -- a function which is far more useful and necessary on an everyday basis."

We just disagree on this.

A single choice that only allows you to "chop off" a chunk of your video - removing it from further revision and refinement is, in my opinion an increasingly limited construct.

Duplicate the timeline in it's current state, truncate it as you like, and simultaneously maintain all the source connectivity, control and ability to revise and amend - is, in my humble opinion, a vastly superior model that will meet the needs of many more types of editors as we increasingly move into a persistently connected future.

It's a physical videotape or DVD, verses an app in the iTunes store or a movie on Netflix.

One stays as it is forever, frozen the moment you create the file - unchangeable. The other can be "refreshed" instantly by simply pushing out a new version - and the instant you do that, everyone coming to the purchase point has access to the new one rather than the old one.

In fact, think about the NetFlix example more closely. Remember those physical DVD rental movies in the old model? Remember how easy it was to rent a year old movie and be forced to scan through "coming soon" promos for films that were a year or two old?

In the modern "connected" NetFlix world? If they decide to push a promo at some point, its at least going to be a current promo. And will refresh as needed.

That's the "connected" model in a nutshell.

I think that's the correct trend in content consumption.

We'll see.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:39:54 am

[Bill Davis] "A single choice that only allows you to "chop off" a chunk of your video - removing it from further revision and refinement is, in my opinion an increasingly limited construct."

There are thousands of reasons why an editor might want to export a range as new asset. That's all we're talking about. Save a new piece of media. The idea that it's "removed from further revision and refinement" is a completely meaningless statement.

[Bill Davis] "Duplicate the timeline in it's current state, truncate it as you like, and simultaneously maintain all the source connectivity, control and ability to revise and amend - is, in my humble opinion, a vastly superior model that will meet the needs of many more types of editors as we increasingly move into a persistently connected future."

The idea of duplicating an entire project to spit out a 5-second clip is laughable. Want to do that every time you need an asset? Knock yourself out. Vastly superior? Um, no.

Bill, with all due respect, you're way over thinking this. Range export is a very very simple production need. It has nothing to with delivery or distribution.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:59:58 pm

[David Lawrence] "Range export is a very very simple production need. It has nothing to with delivery or distribution."

Additionally, it needs an "add to project/event/keyword after export" option.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 24, 2012 at 6:04:25 am

[David Lawrence] "There are thousands of reasons why an editor might want to export a range as new asset. That's all we're talking about. Save a new piece of media. The idea that it's "removed from further revision and refinement" is a completely meaningless statement."

To your first line, yes there are. And you can do that within X. The process is different, but every bit as easy. Remember, it's all metadata. So duping a Project is just copying metadata code. No media or anything large and unwieldy. So what's the problem?

I don't imagine you have a problem copying a resume or script to make revisions. So why the reluctance to copy the pointers represented by a project?

[David Lawrence] "Bill, with all due respect, you're way over thinking this. Range export is a very very simple production need. It has nothing to with delivery or distribution."

Maybe. But maybe not.

If you can't see how you can do the same thing in a new way that's actually no more complex than the old way - then there's probably little I can do to convince you.

But remember this when you see a menu without "save as" and similarly can't understand why not cutting a document off from it's revision stream in a world moving toward cloud based storage might be a change in thinking worth considering.

Versioning in document creation is real and is being coded into al sorts of modern software. And it requires us to adjust our thinking.

Perhaps you'll never want those particular benefits. But I can see the usefulness. So I want it.

And if the trivial process of learning to "duplicate" rather than "save as" is the price in document management, I'm fine with it.

Similarly if Duplicate Project gets me the same result as "range export" and keeps, as a simple example, my access to change and undo available in both versions - (impossible in Legacy's export) then that's something I might find useful even if you don't.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 24, 2012 at 9:07:52 am

[Bill Davis] "To your first line, yes there are. And you can do that within X. The process is different, but every bit as easy. Remember, it's all metadata. So duping a Project is just copying metadata code. No media or anything large and unwieldy. So what's the problem?"

The problem is when you duplicate a project (I assume you're talking about command-D, if there's another way please let me know) you're making a copy of the entire project database. The duplicate CurrentVersion.fcpproject is the exact same size as the source. It's not metadata at all. It's a full copy of the entire project database and everything it contains.

If a project is 10MB, the duplicate CurrentVersion.fcpproject is 10MB. If your project bloats to 10GB, your duplicate project will be 10GB.

All to export a 5-second asset that might be thrown away after one quick viewing? I'm sorry, being forced to duplicate the entire project database isn't "different" or "every bit as easy". It's mind numbingly stupid.

[Bill Davis] "I don't imagine you have a problem copying a resume or script to make revisions. So why the reluctance to copy the pointers represented by a project?"

They're not "just pointers", Bill. You're copying the entire database structure and content. It's a bit more complex then you seem to realize. On top of that, FCPX's database handling is currently a mess and seems to corrupt if you look at it the wrong way. Given the fragility of 10.0.3, the workflow you suggest sounds like an invitation for trouble.

[Bill Davis] "If you can't see how you can do the same thing in a new way that's actually no more complex than the old way - then there's probably little I can do to convince you."

The reason you can't convince me is because you can't do the same thing. In FCP7, mark in and out on the timeline, then export (in whatever format you want) from the file menu. Done. In FCPX, duplicate the entire project database (no matter how big, maybe it's in the GBs), then open the duplicate, then trim the duplicate, then "share". This is NOT the same thing. It's a bunch of extra work and a bunch of extra file overhead.

[Bill Davis] "Versioning in document creation is real and is being coded into al sorts of modern software. And it requires us to adjust our thinking.

Perhaps you'll never want those particular benefits. But I can see the usefulness. So I want it."

You're making a false assumption about why one might export a range. I'm not talking about versioning. I'm talking about saving an asset. Different intent. Different use. Maybe it's a one-off that will be used and thrown away. Who knows? I export ranges all the time. Being forced to duplicate the entire project database just to spit out an asset is stupid and wasteful.

[Bill Davis] "Similarly if Duplicate Project gets me the same result as "range export" and keeps, as a simple example, my access to change and undo available in both versions - (impossible in Legacy's export) then that's something I might find useful even if you don't."

Glad you like it, hope you never have an experience like Jim Giberti's. I don't see value. All I see is extra work, a bloated project library, and risk of corruption. All because Apple forgot one the most basic features an NLE can have.

It's a flaw. It has nothing to do with The Cloud, versioning, or anything else. It's an easily fixable flaw. Apple just needs to fix it.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 24, 2012 at 11:37:57 am

David, there is a much easier way, I must say though, No range export is simply stupid, I fully expect it will be added in soon.

My workaround is to leave an empty "Scratch Project" on my drive and cut and paste the section I want to export to that. I then delete the section when I'm done, it's very easy to do and it doesn't take up any space, but it's still a step that could be easily avoided with a simple command.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 24, 2012 at 5:52:58 pm

[Steve Connor] "David, there is a much easier way, I must say though, No range export is simply stupid, I fully expect it will be added in soon. "

Thank you Steve, that's all I'm trying to say.

[Steve Connor] "My workaround is to leave an empty "Scratch Project" on my drive and cut and paste the section I want to export to that. I then delete the section when I'm done, it's very easy to do and it doesn't take up any space, but it's still a step that could be easily avoided with a simple command."

This is a much smarter workaround. Hopefully, you won't need it soon.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:54:48 pm

The problem is getting a small bit of footage into another app. I wrote about it below.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:25:22 am

The magnetic timeline is essentially the same as editing in tracks locked, ripple mode in other editors. It's not that revolutionary. The revolution is in taking away the ability to turn it off.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:22:03 am

[Dominic Deacon] "The revolution is in taking away the ability to turn it off."

I accept that. And if the way you think about editing isn't such that you can accept and thrive in a timeline with "always on" magnetism. Then you're down to 3 major and a passle of minor choices - which is hardly a "make or break" situation.

If you, your work requirements and the habits you've developed over your editing career CAN adapt, then you have available an excellent new tool that you can explore and use very productively.

I acknowledge that some folks can't do this. Their machines, their projects, their workflows, or merely their particular brains can't successfully work with X.

My experience has proved to me that I can.

It's all I edit on. And I haven't missed a deadline yet. The checks keep arriving and I keep learning every week about the depth and fascinating architecture that I keep uncovering behind the new application.

That's enough for me.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:10:34 pm

[Dominic Deacon] "The revolution is in taking away the ability to turn it off."

Isn't weather it's on or not determined by which delete key you hit?

If I hit the delete key it slides shut, if I hit the delete x key it leaves a gap.

So is it really on, until I make a choice which key

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:52:35 pm

[Dominic Deacon] "The magnetic timeline is essentially the same as editing in tracks locked, ripple mode in other editors. It's not that revolutionary."

I disagree. I think FCPX's magnetic timeline is revolutionary. It's a complete rethinking of an edit's data model, and it's a sudden and drastic change.

The classic timeline data model is all about placing clips freely in absolute time. The clips have no codified relationship to each other.

The FCPX timeline data model is hierarchical: there are parent/child relationships between clips. You get FCPX's magnetism "for free" because a child clip's location in time is relative to its parent; it has no concept of absolute time by design.

This is a major engineering change that affects the way you edit with FCPX. Editorial now involves explicitly managing the relationships between clips in an edit in a way that doesn't exist with other apps. FCPX is built for defining the relationships between clips, not defining their position in time.

The term "magnetic timeline" pulls together a bunch of ideas: clip connections, collision avoidance, lanes as auto-collapsing tracks, object models (primary storyline, secondary storyline, connected clips) and relative time. They're interrelated, but with a different data model, they wouldn't all be required [link].

I love clip connections. I think that's a great idea, and I think an NLE should be able to track the relationships between clips when an editor asks it to. Given clip connections, I think a form of collision avoidance makes sense. It's the auto-collapsing timeline, object models and relative time that give me the heebie jeebies.

Back on point, I agree with the others: Photoshop CS6's timeline is rippling, not magnetic.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:15:59 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I love clip connections. I think that's a great idea, and I think an NLE should be able to track the relationships between clips when an editor asks it to. Given clip connections, I think a form of collision avoidance makes sense. It's the auto-collapsing timeline, object models and relative time that give me the heebie jeebies."

Walter, I think this is a very succinct and accurate explanation why this paradigm fails for so many professionals.

The reason that Apple decided to take a good idea for some editors, some of the time and turn it into a new overarching concept in editing is baffling.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:57:22 pm

[Jim Giberti] "[Walter Soyka] "I love clip connections. I think that's a great idea, and I think an NLE should be able to track the relationships between clips when an editor asks it to. Given clip connections, I think a form of collision avoidance makes sense. It's the auto-collapsing timeline, object models and relative time that give me the heebie jeebies."

Walter, I think this is a very succinct and accurate explanation why this paradigm fails for so many professionals.

The reason that Apple decided to take a good idea for some editors, some of the time and turn it into a new overarching concept in editing is baffling.
"

Jim, I agree. I also agree with Walter that part one of his assessment would make for some amazing editing if it weren't subjugated by part Two.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:43:28 pm

[Walter Soyka] "The classic timeline data model is all about placing clips freely in absolute time. The clips have no codified relationship to each other."

Walter,

I'm not sure I agree with this, or at least not without qualification - clip relationships are dependent on or defined by absolute time.

Likewise, I would qualify this:

[Walter Soyka] "Editorial now involves explicitly managing the relationships between clips in an edit in a way that doesn't exist with other apps. FCPX is built for defining the relationships between clips, not defining their position in time."

I take exception because I wouldn't object to defining editing as "managing" or "defining relationships between clips" (on one level). It seems clear there are different kinds or ways of managing those relationships in X (eg. clip connections), so it's expanded the kinds of relationships possible (and their importance) while abandoning other kinds of relationships (tracks).

On the other hand, I think I still might be missing a piece of the theory of X - I can't see much difference between the idea of an "absolute time" timeline and a timeline which references back to the longest clip or clip amalgamation - meaning I can't really see how that difference impacts on the timeline in any meaningful way. Clip connections, parent-child, object models - I can understand those differences. I'm just not sure what the practical ramifications are for what we're calling absolute and relative time models, or more to the point: a ripple still looks like a ripple in either model.

(I might be conflating data models with editing theory here, but where else better to do this?)

Franz.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:49:02 pm

[Walter Soyka] "The classic timeline data model is all about placing clips freely in absolute time. The clips have no codified relationship to each other."

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Walter, I'm not sure I agree with this, or at least not without qualification - clip relationships are dependent on or defined by absolute time."

Fair criticism, but I did try to qualify it with the word "codified." Of course an editor is creating clip relationships in a traditional timeline, but prior to FCPX, there was no facility in the software for managing these relationships. Temporal relationships across tracks were implicit, not explicit. The editor had to preserve these relationships across other operations that might otherwise disrupt them through the use of careful selection or track targeting.

FCP7's design is generally to preserve a clip's place in absolute time at the expense of its connection to other clips; FCPX's design is generally to preserve a clip's connection to other clips at the expense of its place in absolute time.

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I take exception because I wouldn't object to defining editing as "managing" or "defining relationships between clips" (on one level). It seems clear there are different kinds or ways of managing those relationships in X (eg. clip connections), so it's expanded the kinds of relationships possible (and their importance) while abandoning other kinds of relationships (tracks)."

Also a fair criticism. I agree that editing could be defined as managing the relationship between clips.

The difference I see here is that I think that's only implicit in FCP7, which doesn't itself relate clips to each other. It only relates them to absolute time, and leaves it to the editor to mentally maintain a memory or understanding of how clips relate.

FCPX makes this explicit. Every clip is now essentially relative to the first clip of the primary storyline; the relationships between clips are the glue that holds the edit together and allows any of these clips to be expressed in terms of absolute time for playout.

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I'm just not sure what the practical ramifications are for what we're calling absolute and relative time models, or more to the point: a ripple still looks like a ripple in either model."

In terms of output, at least, I don't think there is a practical ramification.

In terms of operation, it may just be a matter of taste. I don't think that it's literally impossible to create an edit in one that you couldn't create in the other, though the mechanics of doing so in each would differ.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:14:10 pm

[Walter Soyka] "
FCPX makes this explicit. Every clip is now essentially relative to the first clip of the primary storyline ..."

Walter,

This is sort of where I fail in understanding the two models - can't one say that the "absolute time" model essentially relates all clips back to the start time? Or to restate: in what way is the "absolute time" model not dependent on the first frame of the sequence?

But:

[Walter Soyka] "FCP7's design is generally to preserve a clip's place in absolute time at the expense of its connection to other clips; FCPX's design is generally to preserve a clip's connection to other clips at the expense of its place in absolute time."

This seems the clearest, most concise articulation of the different models. Great!

Franz.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:36:45 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "This is sort of where I fail in understanding the two models - can't one say that the "absolute time" model essentially relates all clips back to the start time? Or to restate: in what way is the "absolute time" model not dependent on the first frame of the sequence?"

Have you read David Lawrence's excellent article The Magnetic Timeline -- Thoughts on Apple's New Paradigm [link]?

Basically, with FCP7's absolute time, time is defined by an external clock which clips are cut against, and which is unaffected by operations on clips in the edit.

With FCPX's relative time, the primary storyline drives the clock, and everything is relative to that. Change the primary storyline, you actually change the clock.

It's a question of frame of reference. With FCP7, since the frame of reference is external, it remains fixed during editorial operations. With FCPX, since the frame of reference is based on the material you're working with, your frame of reference itself changes during the edit.

An admittedly poor analogy that tries to make this a little more concrete: with FCP7, you are standing on the shore, observing a boat on a river, but independent of both. With FCPX, you're floating in the river along with the boat as you observe them both, governed by the same forces that are changing the things you're observing.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:16:12 pm

[Walter Soyka] "
An admittedly poor analogy that tries to make this a little more concrete: with FCP7, you are standing on the shore, observing a boat on a river, but independent of both. With FCPX, you're floating in the river along with the boat as you observe them both, governed by the same forces that are changing the things you're observing."

Feels like you really should be invoking Einstein here - but maybe that would be to complicate a bit ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:28:42 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Feels like you really should be invoking Einstein here - but maybe that would be to complicate a bit ;-)"

The 10.0.3 beachballs are a feature. They prevent you from editing faster than the speed of light, which would of course cause your footage to start playing backwards.

Interestingly, superluminal playback doesn't require transcoding to optimized media in order to play H.264 media smoothly in reverse.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:54:57 pm

[Walter Soyka] "The 10.0.3 beachballs are a feature. They prevent you from editing faster than the speed of light, which would of course cause your footage to start playing backwards."

:)

OK, so now I'm beginning to understand it just a fraction. As Bill Davis has so often pointed out, FCPX is a whole lot deeper than any of us can begin to imagine.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 23, 2012 at 8:03:10 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Have you read David Lawrence's excellent article"

Indeed I have - those original posts were what motivated me to join the forum.

[Walter Soyka] "Basically, ... [etc. etc.]"

Yeah, not doing much to help me. The thing is I completely grasp the mechanics of it (and the dependencies model), just not why people see such a difference between the absolute and relative aspects (with respect to the timeline). But I think your previous response hit it when you said that from an output point of view it looks the same, and perhaps the model in my head relies on the "output point of view" and so sees no difference.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 23, 2012 at 8:32:29 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "The thing is I completely grasp the mechanics of it (and the dependencies model), just not why people see such a difference between the absolute and relative aspects (with respect to the timeline). But I think your previous response hit it when you said that from an output point of view it looks the same, and perhaps the model in my head relies on the "output point of view" and so sees no difference."

For most, I think the difference is entirely in the feel of the timeline manipulations.

In FCP7, every edit behaves the same. In FCPX, edits work differently depending on whether they are primary or not. In FCP7, you have to think about the ramifications of your selections and operations; in FCPX, you have to think about the ramifications of your object model assignments.

If the length of your program isn't fixed, you may never even think about absolute time, so this may not make a difference at all. For some programs like 0:30 spots or episodic TV which must have defined act lengths, cutting in absolute time instead of relative time may be easier to understand intuitively. This is not to say it can't be done in FCPX -- it just feels a lot different.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 24, 2012 at 5:45:28 am

[Walter Soyka] "For some programs like 0:30 spots or episodic TV which must have defined act lengths, cutting in absolute time instead of relative time may be easier to understand intuitively. This is not to say it can't be done in FCPX -- it just feels a lot different."

I think that once again, Walter nails it.

And if you don't have the time or patience to dig into that "feels a lot different" thing - then X will likely frustrate you until you spend the time to get to the point where it's functions are as natural as what you used before it.

Experienced editors who judge it purely in relation to their traditional toolset - and when it fails to perform like they expect, simply write it off as "not right" are missing a lot of the story here, IMO.

This is a new direction for an editing tool. Not a "tune up" of the traditional direction in one.

If you don't need a new tool. No problem. That's your call. Use a more traditional one.

But if you're open to some new thinking as to where editing might be going. There's only one product out there that lets you explore something very different right now.

Maybe it won't transform how you edit. That's fine.

But it has transformed how I do. And I simply have no interest in going back to the tools I used to have.

The don't satisfy me any more. I've changed my thinking and resonate with the new processes a whole lot better.

That old thing about old dogs and new tricks? Totally and completely wrong.

Really.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:54:29 pm

I can see Adobe's engineering history now...

FCPX comes out with magnetic timeline. Out of touch Adobe Exec: "Crap...apple is doing something trendy! Quick, implement this!"

1 year later: Adobe Exec: "OK well that didn't pan out. Just hand off the code to the photoshop team. Keep doing that normal video editing stuff you do."

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:19:25 pm

I think you have it backwards, Daniel - the executives that are out of touch seem to be at Apple. Check out labs.adobe.com some time - they listen to their users, and they actually give us what they're working on to see whether it works. With Adobe, it's Design, Test, Ship - with Apple it's Design, Ship, Test.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:21:59 pm

haha, you're right Joseph.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:50:44 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "I think you have it backwards, Daniel - the executives that are out of touch seem to be at Apple. Check out labs.adobe.com some time - they listen to their users, and they actually give us what they're working on to see whether it works. With Adobe, it's Design, Test, Ship - with Apple it's Design, Ship, Test."

OK Joseph, you've inspired my analogy of the day.

I wasn't looking for a new girlfriend, just the opposite, I was really happy with the way things were going - especially knowing that we were always working to make a better relationship.

Then I woke up one day and she dressed and acted completely different than she had in our ten year relationship...just so she could sleep with all the young guys with Macbooks. To make things worse, she tried to convince me that this change was best for both of us.

So here's this cute Adobe. I've known her since I was a kid (I produced some of the earliest non-linear projects on PP1.0), but I've never thought of her "in that way".

She may not be as sexy or fully compatible as my honey Seven was, but she's so faithful, and she cares about me and listens to me, I'll never have to worry about her dumping me for the young guy with the tight pants and tats.

In the movies, I always end up with Adobe.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:03:33 pm

So what does that make Avid? An old trucker lady? She doesn't look pretty, but she's got her AZ license so everyone still calls her up for work ? ;)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 24, 2012 at 6:43:23 am

[Jim Giberti] "OK Joseph, you've inspired my analogy of the day.

I wasn't looking for a new girlfriend, just the opposite, I was really happy with the way things were going - especially knowing that we were always working to make a better relationship.

Then I woke up one day and she dressed and acted completely different than she had in our ten year relationship...just so she could sleep with all the young guys with Macbooks. To make things worse, she tried to convince me that this change was best for both of us.

So here's this cute Adobe. I've known her since I was a kid (I produced some of the earliest non-linear projects on PP1.0), but I've never thought of her "in that way".

She may not be as sexy or fully compatible as my honey Seven was, but she's so faithful, and she cares about me and listens to me, I'll never have to worry about her dumping me for the young guy with the tight pants and tats.

In the movies, I always end up with Adobe.
"

Yeah, yeah, (; ) the "wise intergenerational advice from the grizzled sage" gambit. But it's been done to death.

Even in the same mode, here's an equally resonant alternative...

Girlfriend? Marriages?

You're not even six months old!

As I see you sleeping in your crib ready for the next day of adventures, here's what I want to let you know as you grow and mature.

Never be afraid to dream. There will be a time, later in your life when the mortgage, braces for the kids, and a week in a theme part will likely all be a part of a perfectly satisfying life for you.

But you're not there yet.

You're young. This is your time to dream big.

Maybe you'll never live up to your dreams. And that's OK. But you don't want to look back some day and regret that when you were young and had the chance, all you could imagine was to have a little bit better version of the lives your mom and dad lived.

Now there's nothing wrong with that. And I'd be very proud if you decided to follow a path like that. But while every parent thinks their kids are special - I really do see in you a capacity for amazing things that I just didn't have when I was your age.

Your times are different than mine. Your choices broader. You live in a new, more connected world where information, mobility, and social connections are different than they were back in my day.

So there will be new opportunities that your mom and I never imagined.

So I think for you, the best advice is to go out - at least for a while - and take some chances. While you're young. Before it's too late.

At the right point in time, I hope you stay up too damn late. Even all night if you're having a great time. Go places you've never been. Talk to people from different places, different worlds, different thinking. Test what you think you know - and even what your mom and I have taught you about the traditions of life - against what you see in the real world.

Maybe you won't do anything that's much different than what we did.

But maybe you will.

And maybe if you don't constrain your thinking to the way it's always been done - maybe, just maybe - you'll change the world a little bit for the better."

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 24, 2012 at 6:18:20 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "I think you have it backwards, Daniel - the executives that are out of touch seem to be at Apple. Check out labs.adobe.com some time - they listen to their users, and they actually give us what they're working on to see whether it works. With Adobe, it's Design, Test, Ship - with Apple it's Design, Ship, Test.
"

Yeah.

I guess the Apple model of executive behaviors is so rife with fundamentally flawed thinking it's no wonder they can't make any significant progress against their competitors.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:40:43 pm

Hey Bill guess what Photoshop CS6 let's you do with video? Export a specific range using in and outs or specific frame range! Even Photoshop has this feature! Why would anyone ever need to export a specific area of their timeline? crazy....

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]