FORUMS: list search recent posts

Baselight for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Soyka
Baselight for FCP
on Mar 21, 2012 at 7:12:47 pm

Baselight for FCP [link] is now available for sale.

Is anyone considering this, or is it too late?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Baselight for FCP
on Mar 21, 2012 at 7:21:03 pm

You have to feel for these guys.

Baselight is a great tool but who could possibly think of spending $995 on this when FCP7 is dead and when Resolve Lite is free? Such unfortunate timing - this has been in the works for so long and now it seems just way too late.

But I hope not for their sakes.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Mar 21, 2012 at 8:09:32 pm

Have to agree with Simon, it would be pretty much throwing good money after bad at this stage of the game.
Its a shame they didnt make it for Avid. There are of course probably lots of valid reasons why they didnt/couldnt but a really decent grading package is missing from Avid's direct toolset.
Its true Avid and Baselight/Filmlight already offer pretty tight integration but Color beat anything Avid alone has hands down so Baselight on Avid could have been a really great addition.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

dermot shane
on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:58:49 pm

locked to a 32bit OS, and single proc with an EOL'd host?

yea.... too late...

With Resolve's able read/write AAF + MFX from PP or Avid MC it closes that door to Baselight locked to XML

PP should soon have SpeedGrade intergrated at some level as well.

There's no easy path for Baselight to get out of this mess

Avid DS's color tools are great, the UI sucks, but that's delt with once the color surface that's been announced arrives, and also soon Flame/Luster will be wrapped together into one package... the other popular mid -to- high end finishing tools already include gradeing, Mystika & Pablo.

Seems to have been a giant miss-step to have put all their eggs in the Apple basket, and leaves them, Scratch and Filmaster with a shrinking market... too limited to compete with Fluster, DS, Pablo, Mystika, and possiably PP, to expensive to compete with Davinci

d

Return to posts index

Alexander Higgins
on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:08:16 pm

I am not sure why Filmlight didn't kill development right when FCP died. This Plugin will go nowhere. I usually have a hard time understanding marketing, but this one should get a big "D'oh!!"

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:30:00 pm

Watched their videos - looks great - to be able to do high-end grade right on the FCP timeline is awesome. But at the same time so sad... maybe they'll make versions for other NLE's down the road?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:47:26 pm

Walter Biscardi reviewed this at least a year ago, before FCPX, so it isn't new.

In the current market place with da Vinci full at the same price point, I think these guys are just hoping to recover some R&D but I can't see anyone going for this unless they already had the full blown standalone Baselight system.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:30:26 am

[Michael Gissing] "Walter Biscardi reviewed this at least a year ago, before FCPX, so it isn't new."

Yes, Baselight announced the FCP plugin last year at NAB, and Walter was really excited about it.

What's new is that it's finally actually shipping, as of today, nine months after its host was EOLed.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 22, 2012 at 2:32:06 am

Lol! Oh and Walter being excited... double LOL!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Alexander Higgins
on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:00:33 am

Here is a scenario.. "Hello Apple, I am a FCP 7 user, one of my plugins is crashing a lot and I wonder if you could help figure out why it isn't working?"

Apple, "Whats Final Cut Pro 7?"

I really really love Filmlight, everything they make is both beautiful and amazingling powerful. I just don't get this..

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:38:13 am

Beautiful interface.
This would be an ideal upgrade/replacement for Color - and integrated into the timeline.

You could make a strong argument for locking down a few systems with 10.6.8, FCP7 and Baselight for years to come. We output everything in Pro Res 444 masters, so with the new Compressor (which I find much faster) you'd have a very solid and comprehensive system...and better integrated with Motion if you use it as well.

In that context $1k isn't much.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:51:18 am

I would still use Color, if only to use the Tangent Wave controller and to have grades render whilst FCP is still active. Grading with a mouse sucks.

Color is locked like FCP7 so is just as useful. However, I am moving to include da Vinci and possible Speedgrade depending on CS6 and what develops.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:58:31 am

I've just never like the "integration" with FCP and Color. It was always cobbled and kludgy to me.
I find realtime, in the program, grading to be a huge asset...one of the best things about FCPX, especially with Magic Bullet installed.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:59:46 am

[Michael Gissing] "I would still use Color, if only to use the Tangent Wave controller and to have grades render whilst FCP is still active. Grading with a mouse sucks."

There's Eucon support so you could use Avid's control surfaces for grading. (No Eucon in X btw). Would be nice to see that as a plug for MC or PP6.
Yep, it's sad. I hope they'll recoup some of the money when the version for Nuke comes out.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:05:42 am

Jim, I have Colorista2 in FCP but still prefer to send to Color because it is so much faster and more powerful. Once the grade is done, I just back into FCP to tidy up graphics and titles whilst the grade renders when onlining, so I take advantage of the round tripping to work during renders, something that is lost when using on board grade tools.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:28:44 am

[Michael Gissing] "Jim, I have Colorista2 in FCP but still prefer to send to Color because it is so much faster and more powerful. Once the grade is done, I just back into FCP to tidy up graphics and titles whilst the grade renders when onlining, so I take advantage of the round tripping to work during renders, something that is lost when using on board grade tools."

Were you a "node/tree" based editor before Color Michael?
It's probably because I just never warmed to the interface.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:35:04 am

Baselight works INSIDE FCP...supports a control surface (MC Artist Color), and allows you to use whatever IO card you happen to have. Resolve requires very specific graphics card, and a Decklink card. Sorry, I like my Kona 3 too much. VERY solid with FCP, Avid MC...and possible better future with Adobe CS6.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:53:18 am

Hey Shane, I have discovered that I can run the Kona3 with FCP7 and a Decklink Intensity with da Vinci on the one Mac Pro machine. da Vinci recognises it and installs all the codecs and card support so I didn't install the Decklink drivers on the Mac. It just works for monitoring da Vinci.

Eventually I will build a WIN7 screamer for da Vinci but sorting out my training and using the Tangent wave whilst still having FCP7 and Color working is handy.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:48:57 am

"Were you a "node/tree" based editor before Color Michael?
It's probably because I just never warmed to the interface."

No which is why I my head hurts a bit with da Vinci but I am pushing on regardless. I started grading with Rank Mk2 telecines so I learned with real time joy sticks so hardware control is fast and intuitive for me. I used to grade film, live to air, back in the mid 1970s.

I also do sound post which is very much track oriented hence my lukewarm attitude to the magnetic timeline.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 22, 2012 at 2:44:06 am

I think one of the big takeaways from this is that the full version of baselight can send sequences back to fcp7 and render in their entirety, even though the plug doesn't have all the features of the full kit all via XML.

This represents a highly collaborative workflow and if you work with baselight graders, and still use fcp7, $999 will save you money in messenger/FedEx/hardrive fees alone.

It also allows establishing primary/suggested looks to be handed off to baselight graders.

This, to me, represents awesome ideas and a new spin on when, where, and how colorists and editors can collaborate. Hopefully these ideas won't go to waste.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 22, 2012 at 3:52:56 am

[Jeremy Garcho] "This, to me, represents awesome ideas and a new spin on when, where, and how colorists and editors can collaborate. Hopefully these ideas won't go to waste."

Indeed. That is what Walter was enthusiastic about.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 22, 2012 at 2:05:52 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Indeed. That is what Walter was enthusiastic about."

My bad, I must have missed that one.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 22, 2012 at 3:40:09 am

[Michael Gissing] "I also do sound post which is very much track oriented hence my lukewarm attitude to the magnetic timeline.
"

Yeah, I'm a music producer as well hence my discussion about tracks and mixers.

Return to posts index

Deepa Parbhoo
on Mar 22, 2012 at 2:34:42 pm

We appreciate everyone's response and agree that there are many colour applications on the market but you will find that there are post production companies, professional editors and other FCP users who wish to maximise the longevity they have of FCP7 and to use an alternative highly refined grading option such as Baselight. One of the main benefits of using BL FCP is that you avoid any round tripping from FCP into other colour apps which has been described as time consuming and clunky.

FilmLight have developed the Baselight plug-in as part of an ongoing development programme in which Baselight Editions will be available for other platforms - for example Baselight for Nuke will be available in the Summer followed by other popular NLE platforms.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 22, 2012 at 4:07:04 pm

Thanks for posting.
It might be very important to discuss how you might handle moving the license to other NLEs. Today's FCP7 user may well be an Avid, PremierePro, FCPX user within the year. People might buy with more confidence if they knew development as going to happen for the NLE they may move to and whether there would be an additional cost in moving the license. If you don't plan on supporting a specific NLE it would be good for us to know as well.

Return to posts index

Keith Pratt
on Mar 24, 2012 at 12:16:07 am

An After Effects version would be good for various workflows.

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Mar 22, 2012 at 3:31:56 pm

$1000 for an FCP 7 plugin? I hope their guys are working on MC and PP versions.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]