FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why are you still here? (part 3 in a continuing series)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Why are you still here? (part 3 in a continuing series)
on Mar 21, 2012 at 7:53:06 am

The car crash that was the FCPX launch happened 9 months ago, why are you still spending your valuable time here and what are you getting from it?

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: Why are you still here? (part 3 in a continuing series)
on Mar 21, 2012 at 8:21:15 am

Such an agitator!

Guess I'm still holding out hope that the next revision will bring more key features and performance so I can make a semi-permanent NLE decision. Which of course can change at NAB when we see what Adobe, Avid etc. have up their sleeves...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:12:20 am

I get paid unseemly amounts of money by Apple's competitors to do nothing more than hint that all might not be well in Whoville. Really. Its not just a living--its like 3 livings.

Actually, its an interesting place to be. I like many of the folk--yourself included--and find it a valuable nexus for many things NLE. Probably, because it was such an eventful, passionate shift that we all went through, and because of the "or not" which means you can talk about more than just FCP X, I find the forum a bit like an editor's lounge and like to drop in to see what's what. I still am interested in what FCP X might have to offer, and I've really loved some of the discussions because they've made me think differently about what I do. I may not harken to the idea of "Roles" but it has made me really think about tracks and routing in ways that I never might have. I like debating where Apple is going, and trying to figure out what future workstations might look like. Editing can be quite solitary, as you are undoubtedly aware, and its nice to pop into the Future of Editing Lounge to buy a diet Pepsi from the machine and talk to other editors for bit until break time is over. Isn't that why you're here?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:30:43 am

[Chris Harlan] "Actually, its an interesting place to be. I like many of the folk--yourself included--and find it a valuable nexus for many things NLE. Probably, because it was such an eventful, passionate shift that we all went through, and because of the "or not" which means you can talk about more than just FCP X, I find the forum a bit like an editor's lounge and like to drop in to see what's what. I still am interested in what FCP X might have to offer, and I've really loved some of the discussions because they've made me think differently about what I do. I may not harken to the idea of "Roles" but it has made me really think about tracks and routing in ways that I never might have. I like debating where Apple is going, and trying to figure out what future workstations might look like. Editing can be quite solitary, as you are undoubtedly aware, and its nice to pop into the Future of Editing Lounge to buy a diet Pepsi from the machine and talk to other editors for bit until break time is over. Isn't that why you're here?"

That perfectly sums it up for me as well, perhaps Ron should consider renaming the forum "The Future of Editing Lounge"

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:23:55 pm

[Steve Connor] "That perfectly sums it up for me as well, perhaps Ron should consider renaming the forum "The Future of Editing Lounge""

I'd hang a coffee mug on the wall.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Mar 21, 2012 at 12:24:33 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Actually, its an interesting place to be. I like many of the folk--yourself included--and find it a valuable nexus for many things NLE. Probably, because it was such an eventful, passionate shift that we all went through, and because of the "or not" which means you can talk about more than just FCP X, I find the forum a bit like an editor's lounge and like to drop in to see what's what. I still am interested in what FCP X might have to offer, and I've really loved some of the discussions because they've made me think differently about what I do. I may not harken to the idea of "Roles" but it has made me really think about tracks and routing in ways that I never might have. I like debating where Apple is going, and trying to figure out what future workstations might look like. Editing can be quite solitary, as you are undoubtedly aware, and its nice to pop into the Future of Editing Lounge to buy a diet Pepsi from the machine and talk to other editors for bit until break time is over. Isn't that why you're here?"

Ditto......

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:25:30 pm

[Chris Harlan] " find the forum a bit like an editor's lounge "

We need some beers and cigars. Or if some prefer: chamomile tea and croissant.

Return to posts index

Tapio Haaja
on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:33:58 am

I guess I'm also still hoping that Apple will fix bugs and bring the needed features in next update of FCPX... But also this the best. most passionate and most professional forum I've found in Interwebs where editors talk about future of editing.

Best
Tapio Haaja

On-Air Promotion Producer
http://avseikkailuja.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Mar 21, 2012 at 10:41:55 am

I'm still here because I think that FCPX is a great improvement over FCP7.

I'm not alone but I love to hear other, sometime very strong, opinions about this software.

This forum is the first one I've ever joined and I think it's great, especially when it goes slightly off topic and looks at the more esoteric considerations of NLE editing.

FCPX has tremendous flaws but the improvements since version 10.0.0 have been phenomenal.

I'm here to stay.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Mar 21, 2012 at 12:36:39 pm

I guess I'm the odd one-out judging from the other comments. But I'll speak honestly.

I'm here solely because FCP used to be such a big part of my life/carrer, that I keep tabs mostly out of habit.

I have embraced MC6 and Premiere Pro to the extent that I never use FCP7 anymore, nevermind X. I feel satisfied, creatively and technically, and this makes it very hard to care about X.

I don't believe that it will be a real competitor to Avid anymore (and by 'real' I mean that it needs to take sizeable market share in the broadcast world). As of right now I have no desire to use (anymore), but web browsing habits persist.

Obviously, I still find joy in reading the opinions/thoughts of others -- which is what keeps the browsing habit alive.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Mar 21, 2012 at 12:44:41 pm

Wasting time since alll the good internet sites are blocked at work!

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Mar 21, 2012 at 12:56:56 pm

I find the defenders of FC10 offer up hilarious justifications for defending it, and I thoroughly enjoy the articulate slap downs offered up by joined up editors on here and so I return as a cathartic release of my frustrations about having my self employed life shat on by Apple because they like dumbing down stuff to shift more units. and no, until they refund me the thousands I have spent on my system so I can go CS6 on a PC, I won't let it go.

plus whenever I hang around on tottenham court road to watch the scientologists in an attempt to comprehend cultish adoration of obvious stupidity I get weird looks and asked to move, so here I can continue that sociological observation without reprise.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Mar 21, 2012 at 1:01:09 pm

Because the discussion extends well beyond FCPX. It's about Apple, hardware, other NLEs and stuff in general. That's pretty unqiue. Plus you have people pro and con, lots of different views, backgrounds. Lots of consider, to rethink, to evaluate plus it's just plain fun. As is the possibility to be able to vent among people who actually understand what you are talking about.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Mar 21, 2012 at 1:54:32 pm

I'm here for a few reasons that should be readily apparent:

1 - I value the input of FCP 7/X users and I will often funnel your insight back to Adobe teams.
2 - Premiere Pro and Adobe product in general are a part of many FCP discussions and I'm here to answer them or to correct misconceptions and/or errors.
3 - I've always said that part of the fun of following Apple is the soap opera like saga - there are always twists in the story and certainly FCP X has been one of those. On a personal level, I like to observe the ups and downs of users and their reactions to various Apple gadgets. NLE being closest to my own heart, I pay particular attention to Apple's NLE.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 21, 2012 at 2:09:42 pm

[Steve Connor] "why are you still spending your valuable time here"

1) Like all Americans, I like to watch my heros fall from grace, but of course I secretly hope they will resurrect themselves and ultimately find redemption.

2) I like to watch racing in case there's a crash.

3) As others have said, some of the worst arguments in support of X are so laughable I can't turn away.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Mar 21, 2012 at 2:16:08 pm

To read Aindreas Gallagher's posts

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:14:13 pm

Hope and Change? Wait, that didn't work out either.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:32:10 pm

It is just a little odd to find myself keep coming back here. I suppose I'm endlessly amazed that people are still talking about this - including me of course.

I think its part of a wider amazement that people continue to buy this stuff - IThis and iThat, when it costs far more than the competition and is far less flexible. Why on earth would you pay a huge amount of money to be locked into Apples arms? In London recently they released some new version iPad, and they were queueing round the block again. Why do they do that? They could wait a couple of days and just walk in, there's no shortage. Better still, walk in to Carphone Warehouse where there are half a dozen competitors to choose from at lower prices.

If I was a very rich company like Apple, I would be looking now to loose myself from Intel, and the descendents of the 8086. RISC chip architecture is the way to go, with ARM in the lead (I have shares in them). I know that OSX could run on it, as Linux will run on the ARM Raspberry Pi. So perhaps a MacPro running ARM? That might tempt me to buy an Apple product, if it had a decent editing system like FCP8, and they didn't charge stupid prices.

On a wider note, doesn't anyone else see a bubble here? "Largest Richest Company in the World" is always the headline which sensible people regard as a signal to get out whilst they can, don't they?

B

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:38:33 pm

I like to read rants.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:51:20 pm

I think it was this thread (or thereabouts) that prompted me to join and contribute:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/9629#10030

I can think of no other forum that asks questions, offers answers, and otherwise digresses usefully (and amusingly) on the subject of digital media and editing from both practical and intellectual perspectives, and with the curiosity and experience evident here.

I suppose there's the attraction of a poorly planned professional wrestling show as well (though it's hard to say who qualifies as a "professional").

Further, I'm still undecided as to new directions for software - I finished two large projects in FCP7 last year and it looks like the two larger projects I'll do this year will also be in FCP7. Avid has shwon their hand and I'm looking forward to see what CS6 and Lightworks have to offer, as well as developments in X, and I'll have to a decision on software at some point. (In the meantime, I've switched almost all other software to platform agnostic options).

So there are a number of things that keep me coming back, but primarily I think this forum is unique in terms of expressing the editor's perspective (and I'm often taken aback by exhortations here to "think of it from Apple's perspective" etc., as this seems to miss the point entirely).

Franz.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:57:09 pm

Why? It's about the people!

The people posting here (myself excepted) are a wonderfully talented and insightful group. It's not important to agree with what someone may say as it's always worthy of consideration. The degree of respect for everyone's opinion is paramount in this forum. I used to hang out in the Apple Discussions forums and they are worth visiting on occasion but it's interesting that those forums can be trying in spite of all the rules guiding input. Here the rules only seem to be to be relevant and think like an adult. Many other technical blogs and forums have excellent content and are commendable but this forum has the critical mass to keep one coming back frequently. Thanks to all of you.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 21, 2012 at 4:15:19 pm

[Steve Connor] "The car crash that was the FCPX launch happened 9 months ago, why are you still spending your valuable time here and what are you getting from it?"

But I'm not here, I'm skating to where here is going to be so I can be there before here ever turns into there.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:04:02 pm

Because FCX cannot be ignored. The first FCP took the world by storm, and by version 3 was the most popular NLE in the world. It eventually made it's way into most areas of production...over the skepticism of many many people. Now I am one of those skeptics when it comes to FCX being able to do the same thing. But I will not ignore it...that's dangerous!

The features are there for many things, not for others, but might be included at later dates. My biggest issue with FCX is the editing methodology it employs. It makes no sense to me. The first versions of FCP used editing terms and workflows that we were all familiar with, only it did things others could not (Avid could not capture via firewire, for example).

FCX isn't going away. So I'm keeping my eye on it. I'm not stupid.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Mar 22, 2012 at 5:28:28 am

[Shane Ross] "Because FCX cannot be ignored. The first FCP took the world by storm, and by version 3 was the most popular NLE in the world. It eventually made it's way into most areas of production...over the skepticism of many many people. Now I am one of those skeptics when it comes to FCX being able to do the same thing. But I will not ignore it...that's dangerous!

The features are there for many things, not for others, but might be included at later dates. My biggest issue with FCX is the editing methodology it employs. It makes no sense to me. The first versions of FCP used editing terms and workflows that we were all familiar with, only it did things others could not (Avid could not capture via firewire, for example).

FCX isn't going away. So I'm keeping my eye on it. I'm not stupid."

Absolutely spot-on.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:19:16 pm

http://www.dayancesmeye.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/OrsonWellesClap.gif

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:30:27 pm

[Herb Sevush] "But I'm not here, I'm skating to where here is going to be so I can be there before here ever turns into there.
"

ROTFL

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:51:23 pm

[Herb Sevush] "But I'm not here, I'm skating to where here is going to be so I can be there before here ever turns into there."

Best comment ever! Sheer genius.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:45:38 pm

yep, that's the comment of the year.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 21, 2012 at 10:05:47 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "yep, that's the comment of the year."

Praise from the prophet. On the other hand, the year has just begun.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:04:44 pm

[Steve Connor] "The car crash that was the FCPX launch happened 9 months ago, why are you still spending your valuable time here and what are you getting from it?"

I can't afford the travel time, the gas, and the cash outlay that goes with Packers' season tickets at Lambeau Field. However, I find the passions in this forum rival those of Wisconsinites when it comes to their One True, Eternal And Universal Team.

Still cutting in FCP Legacy, still liking it, and VERY slowly -- almost glacially -- learning the ropes in Premiere Pro.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:51:30 pm

My perspective regarding FCPX changed markedly from the first point I tried it to now. That alone was very surprising to me. My ire cooled and I learned it's shortcuts and although I use it for paid freelance work, I don't completely trust it, but I'm certainly interested in seeing how it evolves.

The biggest change I've noticed in this forum has been a general mellowing of emotions which has allowed for more interesting discussions on the future of our business and the different choices out there.

There is a ton of experience on this forum and I am not so convinced of my own opinions that I don't enjoy hearing other perspectives as well. It's a great place for Apple, Avid, and Adobe to understand exactly what we need out of our tools.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

tony west
on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:26:51 pm

I'm on here because of cool people like you Steve : ) And Jim and Mark M and others.

I'm not on here so much to debate if people should use X or not.

Although I like a good debate from time to time but I like to show RESPECT for others when I do it.

I'm not able to learn about my specific field and X's use because nobody on here knows enough about what I do to explain to me why I can't use it in what I do.

I first came on here because I didn't see Sports represented, and I wanted to give that perspective.

There's some good info to be picked up on here. Every once in a while someone will mention an app that I have not heard of or tried.

And a pro like Jim will reach out with sound advice. That makes it worth weeding through some of the other comments.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:12:07 pm

I'm here because my I noticed my wife started doing a lot of very patient nodding and mm-hmming by about June 22nd of last year.

I'm here because of the other people who are here. It's like going to the water cooler when a render is cooking.

I'm here because I'm a former Apple/FCP early adopter and evangelist. Apple and FCP grew with me in my work, up until they went one way and I went another. This is the best place to talk about that experience and learn from others with different experiences.

I'm here because I see a grim future on the Mac platform for all that high-end, professional work that everyone knows but quibbles over definitions for, and I want to help others see the risks of staying on a platform with a ceiling so close to our heads.

Finally, I'm here because I might be wrong about that last part, so I'm looking to be challenged as I challenge others.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Mar 21, 2012 at 7:14:19 pm

Yeah, that's an interesting question, and I find myself wondering a lot why I keep coming back. In my case, being an Avid fanboy, I think I keep coming back to convince myself that I don't have to re-learn FCP. Selfish, but true, I suppose. I might still play around with X just to have it in my quiver for certain things, but so far I don't feel an overwhelming need to drop all and learn it.

Chris

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Mar 21, 2012 at 8:30:41 pm

Still here because this crap tool is most likely to zombie walk in my door driven by the excitement of a noob who is convinced they just produced god's gift to TV, but they must submit their glorious new love child on a tape format that they probably have never heard of before. I just want know what I'll be dealing with.

That said, I have truly enjoyed the lively conversation this train wreck has spawned and I'll have to say I mark the event as a bonding one for the many, many other long time video grunts of the world who work largely in isolated pockets of this crazy industry. The discussion regarding the state of the business has been more clearly defined on this forum than just about anywhere else I might wonder in the digital realm. The diversity of the contributors to this forum has really amazed me. From new comers to some of the industry leaders, they're all represented here. I think this forum is the single best part of this gawd awful release and subsequent mayhem wrought.

That, and Aindreas, of course.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:26:50 am

ara marvin...

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Mar 21, 2012 at 10:06:55 pm

[Steve Connor] "why are you still spending your valuable time here and what are you getting from it?"

1. This is the most interesting forum on the Cow

2. Great industry insight, discussion, information and knowledge all laced with wit, vim and vigour.

Simple.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:22:29 pm

After answering the millionth post about sync in FCP7 Forum to people who pop in for free advice instead of reading a manual or even searching, I like to drop into this forum to learn from those who have put themselves at the bleeding edge of FCPX. I can't afford to not know yet I can't waste time and money testing software for which there is no demand for me (yet).

In the end I need to know which way the wind is blowing and also to avoid the costly choice of buying the wrong hardware. Software is like the hanky I blow my nose with. Don't have too much invested in the cloth but the cupboards are expensive.

.....oh and for the laughs.

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:19:15 pm

I'm here to decide which NLE other than FCPX I will be using and for that there's no better form than this one. Also, this is just a great place to discuss any industry news from rumors about new MacPro's to how people plan on using Thunderbolt drives.

Also, I agree the name of the form should change – it's not just about FCPX anymore.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:17:40 am

I don't spend much time on forums, certainly the COW is the only one I frequent.

If this does evolve from a FCPX debate it should perpetuate as an ongoing discussion of all of the evolution and change we're experiencing and will be for a long time to come.

I have to say, the level of discourse and insight is the best I've experienced on the interwebs.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:13:50 am

I'm here for conversation, debate and learning with the smart ones, lol's watching the crazy ones, and of course, Mr. Gallagher's epic prose.

And please *don't* change the name! Not yet, too early. FCPX still drives many of the best discussions here.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:39:19 pm

This board is the window on the Post world for me. Since the death of Final Cut Server (my bread and butter till 6/21), I've drifted away from Post in my work (shared storage) because without FCP legacy, shared storage for post is a very different beast. I'm still very interested in where this is all going, and I've still got a glimmer of hope that there is a shared/server capability waiting in the wings for FCPX. Though I'm skeptical that the large facility market will ever embrace it enough to make it viable to be in the FCPX SAN business the way it certainly was with legacy FCP.

Nine months ago I didn't want to snap to judgement that Apple was bailing on broadcast, and I still think that from a technical perspective FCPX is today only one or two minor updates away from viability in that space (depending on the nature of the work and its flow, of course). But what is clear to me now is that the way FCPX works simply kills it for a huge swath of the folks I used to mingle with in my former niche. I'm sad that at this time last year we had an industry coalescing around a common NLE and now that same space is more balkanized than ever.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 22, 2012 at 3:39:25 pm

[Steve Connor] "why are you still spending your valuable time here and what are you getting from it?"

A question my spouse asks me every time I open the Forum. Because the X-bomb is the Edsel, the new Coke, the DVORAK keyboard, Esperanto and the Titanic all rolled up into one neat, well, messy, gory, package. Its whale guts on the beach. Not the cocktail-on-the-beach at all.

I am a colorist by perceived categorization, and like another poster, I'm mostly interested in what fresh hell (thank you, Dorothy) is going to walk in the door next. On balance, I hear things from editors like, "It made me want to gouge out my own eyes and never edit again", but OTOH, frankly, I pretty much only use NLEs for online and mastering, and would probably have never gotten involved with Final Cut if it had not been the entree for Silicon Color's *Final Touch*, and we all know where that has ended. And thank heavens Resolve is more ecumenical. I have an FCPX-based gig arriving one hour and twenty-seven minutes from now. We'll see how that goes. Its a composite green-screen, so wish me luck.

I am on record from April of last year as thinking that X has some good technical underpinnings, and certainly I can see where its organizational architecture suits it for unscripted, improvisational productions. Final Cut 7, is, at least in my opinion a disaster as far as fundamental video engineering is concerned. It makes me think that Apple doesn't know what video is, and their OS, with respect to display technology, seems to support that notion.

I spent most of yesterday at a memorial service for the sudden and unexpected departure of a treasured colleague, a truly golden-eyed cinematographer. More than anything, my point in mentioning it is the sense of community that permeated the gathering -- some of us competitors, some staunch allies -- but all professionals, and passionate in pursuit of doing something meaningful. Especially in the presence of an immutable truth about the transience of life.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 22, 2012 at 4:24:00 pm

[Joseph Owens] "Its a composite green-screen, so wish me luck."

I used the keyer in 10.0.2 and it worked perfectly. I was amazed at how easy it was actually with an AVCHD codec. The greenscreen was lit perfectly also. Then I used some background plates also and found the cropping tools to be actual tools. Normally I would do that work in After Effects, but I decided to try X, and was pleasantly surprised.

More importantly, my client loved it!

But I found exporting (now called "share") to be very poor because there is no way to select a range and export it; I mean "share" it. The workarounds have been discussed in the FCPX Techniques forum.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 22, 2012 at 4:39:16 pm

[Richard Herd] " The workarounds have been discussed in the FCPX Techniques forum."

I have often found the best "workaround" to be to use another program. This isn't specific to X, but as a general bit of workflow advice.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 22, 2012 at 4:50:06 pm

Some more details: I cut the greenscreen footage into the sequence (which is not called a sequence, btw), figuring I could then set a range to export the greenscreen footage to AE. Alas, i could not get the footage into AE. So I said, "OK. I will try to use X's keyer."

Hey! It worked beautifully.

The problem Mr. Owens might have is getting a range of his footage out of X. It's easy to get the whole thing out, just not a range.

Hope that clarifies.

If anyone is paying attention, that's 2 issues I've sent to Apple:
1. We need to color code roles;
2. We need to export a range.

I'm hopeful on 1. but I don't think 2. will happen.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 22, 2012 at 5:37:23 pm

[Richard Herd] "2. We need to export a range."

Cut the clip to the desired in and out, "open in timeline" which will now have the range you want, export...sorry, Share.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 22, 2012 at 5:46:17 pm

Oh, and why am I still here? Why wouldn't we be?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 22, 2012 at 6:14:37 pm

But the clip must be its own project. My greenscreen footage for example was scene 5 or something like that. I wanted to only export a bit. But it exported the entire project! (I mean "share.") But I'd already cut the footage for story continuity. I thought of other methods too, but they seemed silly: CC, Keyword it, new project, drop the cc into a new project, share it. Regardless, the keyer worked very well.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 22, 2012 at 6:29:49 pm

[Richard Herd] "But the clip must be its own project."

Maybe we aren't speaking the same language, but cut/trim a clip, right click on it, choose open in timeline, the clip is all by itself on a timeline, Share.

Step back in to your Project.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 22, 2012 at 7:41:33 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:16:29 pm

[Richard Herd] "But the clip must be its own project."

[Jeremy Garchow] "Maybe we aren't speaking the same language, but cut/trim a clip, right click on it, choose open in timeline, the clip is all by itself on a timeline, Share.

Step back in to your Project."

I got excited when I read this, but when I tried it, it exports the entire project. I tried with 2 different projects. Same result. Could you be leaving out any pertinent details?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:43:55 pm

Same here.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:39:54 pm

[Richard Herd] "The problem Mr. Owens might have is getting a range of his footage out of X. "

To clarify, my part of the project is color grade. The X-generated XML imported very nicely into Resolve, layers unpacked where they should be, transitions did their thing (lots of dissolves), and although I did need to extract the alpha channels from the source footage to make the sync'd travelling mattes plus link them by hand, the whole thing functioned as advertised, and even the top layer exhibited the FCP-X mapped transparency. 30-sec spot, 1.5 hours, playing back something like 6 streams of 23.98p1080 ProRes4444, composited over top of each other, with Noise Reduction. The NR did kind of kick the stuffing out of my frame rate, but the end result was pretty silky looking. Automobile interior, night, collision with coffee cups flying. Should look pretty convincing on the big screen.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:46:42 pm

[Joseph Owens] "Should look pretty convincing on the big screen."

Pff. You make it sound so, almost, professional.

In all seriousness, I am sorry for your loss, and I empathized when reading your previous post. I am glad that are still like minded people out there that can gather face-to-face in a real live room without throwing sticks and stones, even if some disagree on what tool is right for them.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:27:49 am

Sorry to hear that. I had a similar experience a few months back. But I did have the same experience at the memorial service; feeling a sense of community with people I hadn't seen in ages. And even with people I thought I didn't like or thought didn't like me. For me that is the function of these rituals. To bring people together.

Tim

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 23, 2012 at 1:06:29 pm

I've let that question sit for a few days.

I'm here for two reasons.

It's a good place to keep abreast of NLE development, skewed but decently so.

But it's a GREAT place to directly experience ideological thinking in an arena that impacts my daily professional life.

Ideological thinking is a pet subject of mine. It was the disease of the 20th century, especially in the political arena - from Communism and Nazism at the extreme to middle of the road conservatism and radical liberalism, though true liberalism in theory seeks avoid ideology, but fails in practice with the frailty of the human mind. Now, it's invading our relationship with technology, from extreme brand-ego identification to a related phenomenon, an NLE called, quite absurdly, FCPX, though in reality it's more appropriately iMovie Pro 0.9.

What is ideological thinking? To paraphrase slightly from a good essay on the subject:

"Ideological thinking does not begin with the real in order to understand the natures of things, but begins in the mind, that is, with a theoretical system through which the real is interpreted. It begins with an already constituted "scheme", a ready-made epistemological super-structurer to make sense out of the real, a structure through which certain data will be interpreted as significant, while other data will be ignored or seen as wrong."

There is a strain of this here, running through most of the repetitive support for FCPX as a potential high end NLE. This is not to knock the software or even the ideas behind it. But those ideas are clearly a mixed message: lower end present functionality with higher end underpinnings whose future developmental directions are ambiguous. Ambiguous enough that it hardly seems reasonable to believe one knows what they are or how quickly they'll come to fruition when all the evidence so far shouts "Who the bleep knows!"

Some last (related) thoughts on the extent of the ideological thinking going on here:

If any other company than Apple had released this software last June 21, would anyone still be talking about it? Would the software have lasted in the marketplace more than a few weeks or months? If any other company had cut its entire high end user base off at the knees would it still be left standing, let alone raking in cash? Let alone seeing its users debating its good future intentions?

The evidence is telling, my friends. The disease of the last century has just shifted to a new body.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:15:13 pm

[David Cherniack] "The evidence is telling, my friends. The disease of the last century has just shifted to a new body.
"

David, it really is just a piece of software you know

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:24:00 pm

[Steve Connor] "David, it really is just a piece of software you know"

You make my point by thinking precisely that. :)

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:25:34 pm

How so

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:34:25 pm

[Steve Connor] "How so"

[Steve Connor] "David, it really is just a piece of software you know"

Because, as evidenced by the discussion hereabouts, it's not "just a piece of software."

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:55:13 pm

[David Cherniack] "Because, as evidenced by the discussion hereabouts, it's not "just a piece of software.""

Of course it is, I'm sure carpenters have long and varied discussions about what hammers they use, but and the end of the day it's still just a hammer.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:03:31 pm

[Steve Connor] "Of course it is, I'm sure carpenters have long and varied discussions about what hammers they use, but and the end of the day it's still just a hammer."

And by insisting that it's just a piece of software you're indulging in ideological thinking, ignoring the data to the contrary, the hundreds of posts that discuss it as revolutionary, landscape changing, the future of the NLE, the virtues of magnetic vs fixed timelines....ad infinitum. The community of hammer users should be so prolific...

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:10:30 pm

Ideology- a system of ideas and ideals, especially one which forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy:

the set of beliefs characteristic of a social group or individual:

2 [mass noun] archaic the science of ideas; the study of their origin and nature.
archaic visionary speculation, especially of an unrealistic or idealistic nature.

[David Cherniack] "And by insisting that it's just a piece of software you're indulging in ideological thinking, ignoring the data to the contrary, the hundreds of posts that discuss it as revolutionary, landscape changing, the future of the NLE, the virtues of magnetic vs fixed timelines....ad infinitum. The community of hammer users should be so prolific...
"

I think it's a bit of a squeeze to call these discussions idealogical

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:16:44 pm

[Steve Connor] "I think it's a bit of a squeeze to call these discussions idealogical"

I didn't. I called the thinking behind many of the posts 'ideological'. Such thinking also contributes to sloppy (in one nameless case), frame-of- reference-shifting (in some others), rhetoric.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:06:24 pm

[Steve Connor] "Of course it is, I'm sure carpenters have long and varied discussions about what hammers they use, but and the end of the day it's still just a hammer."

I'm not a carpenter, so I can't construct a meaningful analogy here, but I think it is different.

I just can't think of any other circumstance where a leading tool manufacturer has replaced a tool with a total redesign that swaths of their existing user base couldn't use for their work, let alone been rewarded for it.

Bill Davis mentioned "frictionless" as a new business ideal. (Personally, I don't think it's new at all -- it's just good old fashioned service with a new name). Professional tool makers traditionally offer frictionless experiences for their customers. Disrupting your own customers like Apple has done could very well be suicide for any other developer, but to David's point, they are praised for their behavior in some quarters specifically because of who they are and what people believe about them.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:14:15 pm

[Walter Soyka] "but to David's point, they are praised for their behavior in some quarters specifically because of who they are and what people believe about them.
"

Almost no-one here has praised Apple for their horrendous handling of the FCS3 EOL and those of us who choose to praise FCPX for what it is do so not out of any ideology, but out of the fact the software works for us in practical terms.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:38:52 pm

[Steve Connor] "Almost no-one here has praised Apple for their horrendous handling of the FCS3 EOL and those of us who choose to praise FCPX for what it is do so not out of any ideology, but out of the fact the software works for us in practical terms."

A couple threads up, Bill D. spoke at length [link] about why it's actually a good thing that FCPX lacks range export.

Personally, I think there's a lot in FCPX to like. I understand why it's so appealing to so many. It deserves criticism for what it does poorly, but likewise, it also deserves praise for what it does well.

But David asks good questions. What if we separate our thinking of the brand from the product? If it weren't trendy and innovative Apple -- if it weren't the ones who have just reinvented music, entertainment, and mobile computing -- if the NLE ideas in FCPX had to compete on their merits alone -- how would they fare in the marketplace?

If Developer X had released Magneto-Data-Edit 1.0 on the App Store last year, would it have even registered a blip on the post production industry radar?

If Maya 2013 were to be built from the ground up with some clever brand new ideas, no backwards compatibility, and major functionality (MEL scripting?) missing -- essentially threatening the future of any studio built on "legacy" Maya -- would anyone defend Autodesk?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:51:38 pm

[Walter Soyka] "But David asks good questions. What if we separate our thinking of the brand from the product? If it weren't trendy and innovative Apple -- if it weren't the ones who have just reinvented music, entertainment, and mobile computing -- if the NLE ideas in FCPX had to compete on their merits alone -- how would they fare in the marketplace?

Interesting question, perhaps we could ask some of the people on here if they chose to use FCPX because it was made by trendy and innovative Apple, or simply because they liked the way the software worked?

[Walter Soyka] "If Developer X had released Magneto-Data-Edit 1.0 on the App Store last year, would it have even registered a blip on the post production industry radar? "

Not without Apples marketing and visibility, but some of us who like new ideas would have found it.

[Walter Soyka] "If Maya 2013 were to be built from the ground up with some clever brand new ideas, no backwards compatibility, and major functionality (MEL scripting?) missing -- essentially threatening the future of any studio built on "legacy" Maya -- would anyone defend Autodesk?
"

Well I know it's not quite the same but Autodesk had an "FCPgate" of their own with Edit, only they chose not to replace it at the time!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:33:58 pm

This thread had stayed remarkably on-topic before -- but I do find this digression quite interesting. Thanks for indulging me.

[Steve Connor] "Interesting question, perhaps we could ask some of the people on here if they chose to use FCPX because it was made by trendy and innovative Apple, or simply because they liked the way the software worked?"

My guess is that mostly everyone here initially tried it because it says "Final Cut Pro" on the label.

Anyone still using it is probably doing so because they legitimately like it, as you do. I am happy for you that you've found something that's working well for you. As I said, I think there's a lot in FCPX to like. I wish you many successful projects and many happy clients.

On this question, though, I'd also ask how many people who are using and loving FCPX now are comparing it only to FCP7. In other words, how many tried MC5.5, PrP CS5.5, and FCPX before choosing FCPX versus defaulting to FCPX?

Of course, I do think that many would still choose FCPX after trying all the alternatives because they would like it. I'm not saying FCPX offers no value. I am saying that I think David's on to something in suggesting that some of that perceived value comes from our collective ideas about Apple and their history, rather than just from FCPX itself.

[Steve Connor] "Not without Apples marketing and visibility, but some of us who like new ideas would have found it."

I don't care if an idea is new or old. I'm interested in good ideas. There are many good ideas in FCPX, but there are some really bad ones, too. There were a lot of good ideas in FCP7 that didn't survive. It's a shame.

I'm not so sure that good ideas draw the kinds of attention you're suggesting.

What if Microsoft had developed FCPX and made it Windows-only? How many current FCPX users would have switched to a PC if that's what they had to do to get it?

There were some new and interesting ideas in the PC-only Avid Liquid (including some familiar ones like continuous save, no separate dedicated audio or video tracks, background rendering and GPU processing -- all this in the early 2000s), but it never got much traction.

There are some really interesting ideas in PC-only Sony Vegas (like treating visual processing similarly to classic audio processing, offering clip, track, and output processing), but it's never even mentioned here.

[Steve Connor] "Well I know it's not quite the same but Autodesk had an "FCPgate" of their own with Edit, only they chose not to replace it at the time!"

DRW and Herb seemed like they were just starting to calm down about this. You're going to get them all riled up again!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:03:50 pm

[Walter Soyka] "On this question, though, I'd also ask how many people who are using and loving FCPX now are comparing it only to FCP7. In other words, how many tried MC5.5, PrP CS5.5, and FCPX before choosing FCPX versus defaulting to FCPX?
"

I had been an Avid user in the late 90's and early 00's. I knew it pretty well. I even had my FCP 7 keyboard laid out more like a MC keyboard than Apple. So when FCP X, PP 5.5 and MC 6 came out at the same time I tried each. I got frustrated with Adobe and Avid because I wanted them to act exactly like FCP7, and of course they didn't. I think because I knew FCP X was different, I had no such expectations, I found X to be very "fun" to edit with, and fast. Now i find it to be useful at times but at other times a big pain in the backside. I am looking forward to seeing what PP 6 looks like and I will defiantly try it, however I still have high hopes that FCPX will turn out to be a killer editing app.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:13:31 pm

These are only my experiences, so YMMV, but to answer the questions Steve and Walter brought up.

[Steve Connor] "Interesting question, perhaps we could ask some of the people on here if they chose to use FCPX because it was made by trendy and innovative Apple, or simply because they liked the way the software worked?"

I downloaded it because I was curious. However, if I'm being honest, I would say that the fact it was an Apple product and I liked FCP7 so much made the decision easier. I had no illusions that they were in any way similar other than they both edit video. But just as Photoshop lead me to After Effects so many years ago, I chose to trust Apple's vision for the product. And even though I hated the UI at first, it has grown on me.

[Walter Soyka] "I'd also ask how many people who are using and loving FCPX now are comparing it only to FCP7. In other words, how many tried MC5.5, PrP CS5.5, and FCPX before choosing FCPX versus defaulting to FCPX?"

I compare it against all the NLEs I can use with any dexterity. This includes MC and Premiere as well as FCP7. For certain projects, I don't even want to consider using FCP7, Avid, or Prem, because FCPX has made some editing that I do completely fun and breezy. By that same token, there are other projects (more complicated ones) that I can immediately see will cause me more headaches than not to do in X, and wouldn't think of using it there. At this point, it includes most of my "day" job stuff (TV shows and the like). I would love to cut a multicam show on FCPX, but the audio flexibility isn't there yet to even attempt it. It's too bad though because putting together multiclips has NEVER been so easy.

[Walter Soyka] "There were some new and interesting ideas in the PC-only Avid Liquid (including some familiar ones like continuous save, no separate dedicated audio or video tracks, background rendering and GPU processing -- all this in the early 2000s), but it never got much traction."

I loved what I saw in Liquid back when it was Pinnacle. We were shopping for alternate NLEs at my news station, and this was one we looked at. Although they suffered from the "too many buttons" problem that has plagued Premiere, there were some great things about it. In particular, the continuous save, surround sound mixing via a very responsive and graphical UI. Being able to adjust luminance and color of a clip directly on the wave form and vector scope.

In my opinion, the reason these great ideas never got any traction in the marketplace was because Avid didn't sell them. Soon after we demoed Liquid, Pinnacle was bought by Avid. At first I had hope that some of these ideas would be incorporated into MC, but no. Strangely, Avid decided to go to market with two separate NLEs that didn't seem to fit together. It was/is a confusing idea. Even Avid didn't seem to know how they wanted to position Liquid.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:18:57 pm

[Steve Connor] " "Well I know it's not quite the same but Autodesk had an "FCPgate" of their own with Edit, only they chose not to replace it at the time!"

It's far from the same thing. edit* had a small very share of the market. FCP was the dominant player everywhere (yes, I know, except Hollywood).

[Walter Soyka]"DRW and Herb seemed like they were just starting to calm down about this. You're going to get them all riled up again!"

They only pretend they've calmed down. You have no idea what schemes of revenge were hatched against one Autodesk executive. Fortunately, none ever evolved past the level of thought crime.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:33:48 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I just can't think of any other circumstance where a leading tool manufacturer has replaced a tool with a total redesign that swaths of their existing user base couldn't use for their work, let alone been rewarded for it."

Whoa. Yesterday I was just thinking I would not post my hammer analogy, but now I will:

I installed floorboards and trim around my house. At first I used a nail gun but it proved too cumbersome for such a small job. So I used a tack hammer instead. That is, the nail gun is an improvement on the tack hammer, but my job was so small I needed to use the other tool, the less complex tool.

I'll let the ideologues debate whether X is the nail gun or the tack hammer.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:45:00 pm

[Richard Herd] "I installed floorboards and trim around my house. At first I used a nail gun but it proved too cumbersome for such a small job. So I used a tack hammer instead. That is, the nail gun is an improvement on the tack hammer, but my job was so small I needed to use the other tool, the less complex tool."

I don't think a nailgun is an improvement on a tack hammer at all. They are different tools to meet different needs. A nailgun would be terrible for upholstery, and a tack hammer would be terrible for framing.

[Richard Herd] "I'll let the ideologues debate whether X is the nail gun or the tack hammer."

Whichever it may be, it's not the same kind of hammer that FCP7 was -- and that's one of the major points made over and over on this forum. FCP7 met needs that FCPX does not.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
And Finally!
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:17:32 pm

It's over - NOT

***(Pardon the aspect ratio issue - the clip makes its point anyway) :)

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: And Finally!
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:21:07 pm

:)

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:18:50 pm

Have you read Horkeimer and Adorno's Dialectic of Enlightenment?

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:37:02 pm

[Richard Herd] " Have you read Horkeimer and Adorno's Dialectic of Enlightenment?"

"Each human being has been endowed with a self of his or her own, different from all others,
so that it could all the more surely be made the same"

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:43:28 pm

[Christian Schumacher] ""Each human being has been endowed with a self of his or her own, different from all others,
so that it could all the more surely be made the same"

"

Great quote

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:44:38 pm

[Richard Herd] "Have you read Horkeimer and Adorno's Dialectic of Enlightenment?"

No, both the Western notion of Enlightenment and its critiques are not of great interest to me. I believe an individual can see reality clearly only when he strips his mind of all illusions, something the Enlightenment got only half right, the post-modernists believe is impossible and the Buddhists elevated to a practice during the thousand years that spanned the Common Era.

But we digress...

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:53:36 pm

[David Cherniack] "But we digress..."

That could also be a name for this forum

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:35:02 pm

[David Cherniack] "If any other company than Apple had released this software last June 21, would anyone still be talking about it? Would the software have lasted in the marketplace more than a few weeks or months? If any other company had cut its entire high end user base off at the knees would it still be left standing, let alone raking in cash? Let alone seeing its users debating its good future intentions?"

Those four questions define this entire discussion, in my opinion.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:27:41 pm

Is anyone out there who hopes that just one NLE emerges as the clear winner? I think I do because I'm in a unique position in that my job can be accomplished with any of the NLE's out there. I'm 100% web, no broadcast, so my decision of which NLE to switch to is largely determined by what the freelancers I work with are going to be using and also what NLE is in most demand – just in case I get laid off tomorrow I want to be fluent in the NLE which will provide me with the most job opportunities. Before X it was a pretty easy decision.

I know a lot of people will say, "Well you should just learn them all." but to me that makes no since because any of them will work for me. When I first switch from Avid to FCP I hated it, but after a while it grew on me and now I can make FCP do backflips and walk on it's hands if I want. If I were to have split my time between Avid, FCP and Premiere I would probably be able to work with all 3 just okay, not great, and definitely no where near the level of proficiency that I have with FCP7 because I've focused my time and energy on learning everything I can about it. I feel like with enough use I can make any of the NLEs work for me the way FCP7 does, it's just takes time to learn how it functions. Splitting my time between three different NLE's is counterintuitive to being able to produce the best possible results in the least amount of time.

So basically... everyone needs to hurry up and make a decision so I don't have to. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]