FORUMS: list search recent posts

huh

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason levy
huh
on Jun 21, 2011 at 6:37:33 pm

This is all very confusing. On the surface this feels like apple telling people like me (original fcp user, pro post prod facility) to go f myself. What about fcp 7? no news. Should I be thinking Avid for next year? (horrors). They just don't give you a lot of information do they.

jason

Return to posts index

Paul Harb
Re: huh
on Jun 21, 2011 at 6:42:35 pm

That is what they are saying but without the balls to say it. Rediculous.

Paul Harb-Producer/Director
Wrong Beach Multimedia
Dual 3.2 GHz Quad/10.5.5/8GIG RAM/FCP 6.0.4/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Andrew Karczewski
on Jun 21, 2011 at 6:52:49 pm

Hate to say it, but I agree - I'll wait 6 months to make a final decision.

Having said that I think the folks at blackmagic can expect Davinci sales to skyrocket...

Return to posts index

Christopher Bruno
on Jun 21, 2011 at 6:50:33 pm

This crap is confusing! What is this Imovie BS. All my 3rd party filters gone. project files gone. Worthless. Apple is full of it.

Chris

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 21, 2011 at 6:54:10 pm

[jason levy] "On the surface this feels like apple telling people like me (original fcp user, pro post prod facility) to go f myself. What about fcp 7?"

I'm really amazed how many people are acting as if this is the end of the world. Maybe it's just me because I don't own my own company.

You do realize that if what you had yesterday was working, it still works today, right? Just because FCPX is available, doesn't mean everything you've invested in is now trash. What is with the need to instantly update? What is so urgent?

Plus, David Roth Weiss put out an article last week on how to prepare for this.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:03:08 pm

Yes fcp 7 is working today. I can attest to that as we are using the product on several TV series. But what about next year? They don't say if they are going to keep supporting fcp 7. Why is that so hard to do? What is your relationship to fcp Rob? How much money is your commitment to FPC worth?

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:22:41 pm

[jason levy] "But what about next year?"

But see, that's what I don't understand. At my current job we're still on Final Cut Studio 2, and how old is that?

I don't understand what point you're trying to make with that question. I understand all NLEs have their shortcomings, but is there something about FCP7 that's causing you to lose money (or not make as much) and you desperately resolved right now?

[jason levy] "They don't say if they are going to keep supporting fcp 7."

Supporting it how? With more updates to the software? Beats me, but again, if what you have now is working, why do you need updates?

[jason levy] "What is your relationship to fcp Rob? How much money is your commitment to FPC worth?"

Not much money. Like I said, I don't own a company. But I don't seem to understand the point of this question either. Are you suggesting if you purchase something today, but later its successor is disappointing, you're previous purchase was a waste or a bad investment? I would disagree with that.

And just for the record, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I completely understand I might not 'get' it because I don't own my own company. But everyone seems to be a bit hysterical today.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:57:29 pm

[Rob Grauert] "But I don't seem to understand the point of this question either. Are you suggesting if you purchase something today, but later its successor is disappointing, you're previous purchase was a waste or a bad investment? I would disagree with that."

Final Cut Pro has not historically been an appliance -- it's been a platform. You could expect a certain degree of continuity from one release to the next. Like, for example, the ability to open a project you created in a previous version.

FCPX reboots the franchise and removes a lot of important features. Further, FCP7 is no longer for sale. What is Jason supposed to do if he wants to add another suite to his facility? How long does he have to wait until the features he needs make it back into FCPX?

As I've said in other threads, I believe that FCPX is a wonderful foundation for the future of the application -- but Apple is not handling the transition from FCP to FCPX well at all, and by focusing on features that many professionals do not need at the expense of features that they do, they are excluding a lot of professional workflows.

I think Jason's response is totally reasonable. Apple is creating a lot of uncertainty by releasing FCPX in this state. Will they fix it, or will they do as they have done with other professional apps like Shake and Color?

This is not just about the money that FCP itself costs. It's about the extra hardware that FCP used to support. It's about production and collaboration workflows. It's about interoperability. Anyone who owns an FCP-based facility has a lot to consider now as they try to plan for a very uncertain future.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jun 21, 2011 at 9:47:23 pm

I think the problem is discontinuing FCP7...I don't see any harm in releasing what amounts to a version 1.0 software as long as they they keep supporting the previous application until FCPX inherits the critical features.

The same way Microsoft kept the Win95/98 codebase going until the NT codebase was mature from a feature perspective.

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Jun 21, 2011 at 10:28:10 pm

I don't know. It doesn't seem unreasonable to communicate with people like me and tell us what to expect. I have supported the product , been it's advocate, used it for years. Yes I made money with it but I also have a huge investment in it. Not only in seats. That is the least of it. Legacy projects. Ok. But all the people I have sold on using the software. I'm talking big commitments to major projects not YouTube videos. Credibility is at stake.

Will the next version of osx even be compatible with fcp 7? Who the hell knows?

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:41:52 am

Yes..the missing features don't affect me much (I'm in the YouTuber camp) but this looks like a very risky and unfortunate way to treat the long time FCP professional userbase.

Return to posts index

Andrew Karczewski
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:23:41 pm

true, but i think what most people are getting at/complaining about is the fact that, this new release is;

1) The future of what is now the officially disbanded Final Cut Studio
2)
Given the current state of "Pro" apps with this new release, the future of these applications isn't too bright - And in some cases, no longer exists.
3) Sure FCS worked yesterday, and works today - and will presumably still work in 10 years time. However now the choice seems to be stick with either Final Cut Studio or the Copyright (c) Apple 2011 iMovie suite (available for individual purchase and individual download - for your Copyright (c) Apple 2011 inconvenience)

Of course i say that with an amount of jest. How much jest? Well, lets see how we are all feeling when Apple gets into the second act of its headlining set tonight at the Comedy Store...More than a few people seem to feel as though they might get a HBO Special out of this.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:29:29 pm

I think that is precisely what they are telling not only you but many broadcast and post facilities (not to mention us poor independents) who have invested heavily in the FCP brand over the past decade.

bigpine

Return to posts index

Paul Nordin
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:51:16 pm

Yes, this is a major disappointment. Sure FCP7 works, but only marginally. And that is the big problem. Many of us have been holding on by our finger tips dealing with poor support of new codecs and advanced workflows. Often that poor support has resulted in lost revenue from inefficiencies.

When I saw the dog and pony at NAB, I had a sinking feeling in my gut due to the total lack of info on pro requirements such as XML i/o, third part support, etc.

Many people are now saying, hey wait 6 months and Apple will surely fix all these wrongs. But its been almost 2 years that they have been working on FCPx and their development priorities have been to make sure YouTube and iPhone support is in the initial release. NOT XML, or third party support. Apply has choices they made. And they made them to benefit the iphone editors.

Read those tea leaves any way you want, but I would say the message has already been given. If they wanted us to hear something else, they would have said it. Apple, if anything, is very very good at positioning their products with the target demographic they have aimed at.

We are not it. I'm glad I have Adobe 5.5

Emeryville, CA

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:52:35 pm

iMovie 4K? that's ridiculous!!! :P

Return to posts index

Erik Speer
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:57:22 pm

People keep saying if you like FCP 7 and it works just stick with it. Well that doesn't work if you have plans to expand or just like to stay on top of software upgrades. This is a very disappointing day.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:53:38 pm

Yay Adobe 5.5! Im lovin the chance to use Dynamic link on a regular basis.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:57:15 pm

Yes, they will fix it all in a few months. Just like they fixed the Media Manager. And SoundtrackPro. And so many more things that there is no room to list here. Example: View>Single Frames?!

bigpine

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:06:33 pm

[Paul Nordin] "Many of us have been holding on by our finger tips dealing with poor support of new codecs and advanced workflows. Often that poor support has resulted in lost revenue from inefficiencies. "

[Walter Soyka] "Further, FCP7 is no longer for sale. What is Jason supposed to do if he wants to add another suite to his facility?"

Good points

Rob Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Peter Galassi
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:22:50 pm

The critics here are spot on - Even though Final Cut Pro 7 is still available, the total lack of support for new hardware (which Apple has gotten many to invest so heavily in) is a a hurdle that the application cannot get over without improvement. Final Cut Pro X was supposed to solve these problems and it reportedly does - like making everything 64-bit and lifting the terrible 4gb memory cap - but it comes at the expense of features that people need.

I for one have been working on several large documentaries and just cursing FCP7s hardware limitations - I was really hoping that X was going to be a great salve if not a cure. But it's looking not so good right now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]