FORUMS: list search recent posts

The new iPad as a reference monitor?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Lang
The new iPad as a reference monitor?
on Mar 19, 2012 at 5:19:12 pm

Here is an interesting review of the new iPad's screen in terms of suitability as a reference monitor. The actual review is much longer but this article points to the detailed review.
http://m.macnn.com/iphone/fullarticles/12/03/19/2012.ipad.lcd.given.top.mar...

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
Re: The new iPad as a reference monitor?
on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:10:57 pm

I'd be happy to just being able to use the iPad as a monitor for scopes. Brilliant resolution, price and form-factor.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:12:16 pm

Rick,

Lots of qualifiers should be added - not least of which is that they seem to be looking at this primarily from a photo application point of view.

Categories of comparison are as follows: Screen Reflections, Brightness and Contrast, Colors and Intensities, Viewing Angles, Display Backlight Power Consumption, and Running Time on Battery.

Note there is nothing on frame rate issues nor interlacing, and no assessment at all (as far as I can see) about how it displays video signals.

From the "Results Highlights":
If you are a professional (or serious amateur) photographer the new iPad will show your photographs more accurately than any other display you have (unless it’s a calibrated professional display).

The link inside the link goes here:

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm

Franz.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:39:32 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] " (unless it’s a calibrated professional display)"

Isn't that the point of a REFERENCE monitor ???!!!

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 19, 2012 at 11:42:17 pm

Thanks, Oliver. True it is not a professional calibrated monitor. Apple is certainly not making any pretense that the iPad would be in that class of monitor but I think the independent reviewer is just pointing out it's a surprisingly capable display at a very low price point.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:04:57 am

[Rick Lang] "Thanks, Oliver. True it is not a professional calibrated monitor. Apple is certainly not making any pretense that the iPad would be in that class of monitor but I think the independent reviewer is just pointing out it's a surprisingly capable display at a very low price point."

I'm not sure what the point is, though. If you want a second monitor, get a 27" Apple or an HP Dreamcolor, which will be reasonably accurate with ColorSync. And then you won't have the lag others mention.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 19, 2012 at 11:32:05 pm

Franz, I agree the focus of the article is photo more than video. Still sounds like a useful screen to use for that high a quality of screen. And perhaps we'll have more analysis on the suitability for video in the future. I just posted because it does seem credible that some future integration of the iPad and FCPX is feasible for some purposes. I was surprised at the screen's quality I saw in the store this weekend. Perhaps a plugin will integrate the two platforms. Thanks for the feedback.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:32:25 am

There is an app called Air Display that will make your iPad a monitor.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 20, 2012 at 3:29:00 am

Thanks Bret. I already use Avatron's Air Sharing and Air Dictate. I had thought Air Display was only a mirror but I see it can extend the desktop as well.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 20, 2012 at 3:43:33 am

I use air sharing too. But just got my first iPad. I don't use air display, just read about it.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 20, 2012 at 3:54:09 am

Are you curious? Think you might try Air Display and see how it can work with FCPX on the iPad in some manner? I'm thinking it may not as it appears to use panes instead of windows that you can drag to an extended screen.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:37:28 pm

Bret, the update of Air Display for the new iPad should be available soon. Article implies they've solved the problems writing to the higher resolution screen:
http://m.macnn.com/iphone/fullarticles/12/03/21/air.display.to.soon.support...

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Nov 22, 2012 at 8:01:58 pm

Brett Williams:
"I use air sharing too. But just got my first iPad. I don't use air display, just read about it."

Posting this from an iPad4. Tried Air Display last night and it worked well on Aperture as a secondary screen. Both my 27" iMac and my 23" Apple Cinema Display have different colour viewing the same image. The iPad's colour is also different but it's much closer to perfect than my larger displays... Definitely will use the iPad when colour correcting. The iPad can also be used as the viewer in the video applications. Video colour looked good. Not a professional monitor, but better than what I've had to judge colour.

Who knows, someday may even work as a control surface in DaVinci Resolve and FCPX (there's another thread just started on that topic).

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Mar 21, 2012 at 10:45:09 am

If you use your New iPad as a reference monitor, it will get very warm and will lose its battery charge even while plugged in:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1345556

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:41:17 pm

Greg: If you use your New iPad as a reference monitor, it will get very warm and will lose its battery charge even while plugged in.

For still photography it would be fine but for video you may be right according to Consumer Reports. Would be interesting to see though as playing Infinity Blade 2 is likely much more taxing on the processors than displaying video out. We'll probably see confirmation of that report for the game but I'd like to hear from someone that the battery can't keep up when just using iPad for video.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]