FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX on multiple computers?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Trowbridge
FCPX on multiple computers?
on Mar 16, 2012 at 2:32:12 pm

I bought X a few months back for my one macbook pro. I am now working on a second Macbook pro and I want to put X on it as well.

I was under the impression that you could put X on multiple computers without having to pay twice? Am I mistaken?

When I go to the App store on the computer it's telling me to pay $299 even when I am logged in as myself.

Am I going about this wrong?

Shane

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
Re: FCPX on multiple computers?
on Mar 16, 2012 at 2:56:05 pm

Just copy/paste the app.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Mar 16, 2012 at 6:29:52 pm

You should be logged into the App store with your Apple ID. Open the App store application and go to the purchases tab. You should be able to simply click install on the apps you purchased and it will install.

Now..... If you happen to be like me, and I actually purchased FCPX the day it was released. I decided after a week it was not for me and Apple said they would offer refunds. I took them up on the offer and they did refund my $299. I'm an honest person and I did delete FCPX from my MBP. Now, fast forward about 2 months and I decided I had probably been too rushed with my judgement and decided I really wanted FCPX. I went to the App store and clicked to purchase FCPX again. Low and behold AFTER I clicked the buy button the app store came back and said I was due a free upgrade and proceeded to download to my MBP. I thought, well this is cool but I do pay for what I use. I did not know why it was downloading and I assumed there was some hidden residual file somewhere on my MBP tell the app store I had purchased FCPX. I knew my wife was getting a brand new iMac in a month so I figured, well, when she gets that, I will actually rebuy it then. Her new iMac arrives and I go to purchase FPCX and boom, again it says I have a new download and proceeds to install on my wife's brand new clean iMac. Ok so now I have no idea what is going on so I write Apple support and explain that I appreciate the free software but I really don't believe in ripping people off and wanted to pay them for it and have it actually show on my registrations (FCPX, Motion5 and Compressor 4 do not show up under my Apple ID as actually been purchased). I received a very nice letter from Apple support basically explaining to me that once an item has been purchased from the App store and monies returned they have no way in their accounting system to allow that item to be purchased again. The letter literally ended with "This is your lucky day, enjoy".

As a former geek I have to laugh as what is probably going on here is whom ever set up their order entry management system never set the tables up with a one to many relationship for items to be purchased. There is no way in their tables to account for this. $100B in the bank and you can't deal with refunds??? Wow. Oh well. I tried, I really did.

So if you purchased FCPX, got a refund, and now you want to install again, click on the buy button and you will actually get a download prompt. On apps you have purchased from the app store you are allowed 5 installs.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 16, 2012 at 9:21:09 pm

[Phil Hoppes] "The letter literally ended with "This is your lucky day, enjoy".
"

I was at a meeting last night with a business group and one of the topics under discussion was that with the proliferation of web commerce presenting nearly unlimited choice to consumers and business to business transactions, one aspect of modern practice is that at a certain point of success - the key to customer maintenance is to become as "frictionless" a supplier as possible.

I love that term - "frictionless" - it's a great new business mindset.

I think Apple understands this - at least in their largest and most profitable market segment - consumer sales.

Going back years, I've seen this same pattern again and again from Apple.

Years backI had a problem with a serial number on one of the upgrades to Final Cut Suite - and they simply sent me a new boxed product, ($1000 at the time) and when I asked if they wanted me to ship the old one back to ensure I wasn't trying to "double dip" - there was a long silence on the line.

In hindsight I can see that dealing with the return of open box software was probably going to cost Apple real money - and gain them nothing in return - so other than perhaps noting my old serial number as "inactive" - I can't imagine they really cared about "the return" at all.

In the modern sense, the real "value" is being registered in the system as an "official owner" since that in itself makes you eligible for the upgrade discounts in the future. That's a "relationship driver" for the company.

And for the company - the value of the relationship with the consumer is everything.

The tangible value of any delivered product - at least in software - is marginal and usually rapidly approaching extinction.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 19, 2012 at 3:40:44 pm

In this forum, the business model debate has been missing. That was a great post, Bill.

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Mar 21, 2012 at 7:44:02 am

[Bill Davis] "...in their largest and most profitable market segment - consumer sales. "

What other market do they have?

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Mar 17, 2012 at 12:37:04 am

That's an interesting story. 'Don't know if your trick should be publicized, but the thing about the App Store is that it requires a Mac. So irrespective of how many rouge copies of FCPX (or other App Store software) float around, they all require an Apple computer. What goes around comes around. Microsoft can't have a store like that.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 17, 2012 at 2:12:19 am

I have Aperture for free myself. I clicked buy now just to see what cedit card they had on file and low ad behold it started downloading. I didnt actually want it. They only refund your money once. So it's not that great a trick. And I'm not sure it works that easy say for, $999 auto cad.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Mar 17, 2012 at 5:48:39 am

Well, it's really not a trick, it clearly is Apple's policy or something that is completely related to their policy. As I said, I tried to pay again but could not. It is the way it is. In the total scheme of things I'm sure my lost revenue did not make a dent in their quarterly earnings. ;-) They just made it back with the new iPads I got for me and my family anyway.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 17, 2012 at 9:02:00 am

It's not so different to the old legacy FCP
A simple serial number. No real protection.
Pretty sure Apple where happy for ftudents and the like to "share" and help FCP spread. Because every copy needed a Mac to run and it's the hardware that makes Apple rich.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 17, 2012 at 12:26:55 pm

[Pat Horridge] "Pretty sure Apple where happy for ftudents and the like to "share" and help FCP spread. Because every copy needed a Mac to run and it's the hardware that makes Apple rich."
I agree with you. I've sow for year all around South East Asia "Not for sale" and educational copies of FC.
Apple new that for people around here was very difficult to buy a Mac but almost impossible to buy the application. I always thought that Apple was behind the release of these copies. Better to sell computers than nothing, and a pirate of today can be a good customer tomorrow.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]