FORUMS: list search recent posts

Passing of Ramsey Marzouk

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Les Kaye
Passing of Ramsey Marzouk
on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:53:26 am

Since I don't know the correct forum (or if there is a correct forum), I'll cross-post to where it would be appropriate.

I simply wanted to inform a few of the post-productions groups that Ramsey Marzouk, the Senior Manager Software Development at Sony, passed away in Chicago last week at the age of 44. Not only was Ramsey a man of great character, but he was also a pioneer in the world of digital editing, having been the Engineering Manager at DVision, later bought by discreet, which in turn was purchased by Autodesk. His involvement ran from DVision on DOS to DVision Pro on WinNT (the first NT based NLE), through discreet edit*, Sony XPRI and Sony's latest NLE efforts.

Ramsey himself was a gentle and modest soul, and he kept a low profile. Still, it can't be stressed enough the deep contributions made by he and his staff to the post workflow that is widely used today. Some of you may have known him, some may have only heard of the NLEs he was involved with, not knowing how influential the features his team introduced to the post production paradigm. So to my humble mind, it simple didn't seem right that his passing not be acknowledged here on the COW.

RIP Ramsey...

http://www.leskaye.net

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
Re: Passing of Ramsey Marzouk
on Mar 13, 2012 at 5:20:37 am

That's quite sad, Les. Very sorry to hear about that. I didn't know him, but I certainly know of and used the NLEs he developed. D/Vision was quite a thing in the day. Did he work with the Sonic Foundry folks or end up at Sony after the Vegas sale?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 13, 2012 at 3:00:03 pm

I was very sad to hear Ramsey had passed away Les. As you know, I knew him, and I knew he was young, but I didn't know he was just 44. He leaves behind young children and a wife as well, so that makes it exponentially sadder still. So long Ramsey, we're glad we knew you.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:17:04 pm

AS a fellow *editor I had mat Ramsey a few times, he was part of a small but great team of programmers that were always accessible to all the *edit users. Very sorry to hear about this. My condolences to his friends and family.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:26:54 pm

As I think about this I remember a story.

When *edit was being developed the industry was switching over from analog to digital tape formats. The edit* forum, which on a polite day was more contentious than even this forum has ever been, was full of discussion as to where the tone should be set when laying down bars and tone. There was a bars and tone element with tone set at 0db analog, but much gnashing of teeth about where to set it for digital formats: -20, -12, -10 or -6. This went on for awhile as I recall, with input back from the development team, until Ramsey said the hell with it and simply put a tone generator as part of the package and said everyone could now set it where they wanted. And that's how the tone generator came to *edit.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:00:34 pm

I'm very sorry to hear that.

I met Ramsey once and corresponded with him on a problem that cropped up while using edit*. I've thought about him now and then over the years, knew he had gone to Sony and always smiled with the knowledge that their software would be much the better for his presence.

It's a sad day for anyone who knew him, especially for those who used edit* because he was a pioneering lynchpin of the modern NLE.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Therese Marzouk
on Apr 16, 2012 at 8:28:26 pm

Thanks for sharing that story-- we (our kids and I) enjoy reading them!
-Therese Marzouk

Return to posts index

Therese Marzouk
on Apr 16, 2012 at 8:26:03 pm

I have never met you, but I am Therese Marzouk-- Ramsey's wife.

I just came across your post-- and I wanted to thank you for your kind words. I appreciate you getting the word out to others who may have known Ramsey.

Thanks again.
-Therese

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]