FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP mover - taking work home?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Mullen
FCP mover - taking work home?
on Mar 12, 2012 at 9:20:06 pm

Hi

I've had a look around in the forums but can't see anything that exactly answers this question.

I'm a long term FCP user who is weighing up the next move. One of the many things that's been brilliant about FCP has been the ability to take projects home for off-lining on my set-up at home. Being able to dump everything onto a firewire drive (and quickly re-connect media etc) has allowed me to balance home and work life on numerous occasions.

I work for a large broadcaster, where there are numerous editing teams - all of whom are planning their next move in terms of which NLE to use. A few are moving to FCPX, more to Premiere and Avid. We're lucky in that we have a lot of freedom on our team to choose the software we want go with - but I'm keen to go with something that allows me to fit in with what most other people are using. For that reason, I'm leaning towards Premiere or Media Composer rather than FCPX.

So, aside from the actual features of these NLE's which of them is likely to make it most easy for me to take projects home? I suspect this would be a bit of a hassle with Avid, but wondered if anyone else has experience of this

Paul

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: FCP mover - taking work home?
on Mar 12, 2012 at 10:06:08 pm

There is no reason why you could not do the same with Avid.
The media management on Media Composer is better than both FCP and Premiere.
You could copy all the media you need to a local drive and then simply copy the project (much like FCP) - work on it at home and then bring your modfied project back into work and relink it to the work media.

You need to bear in mind that Avid stores media in a slightly different way to FCP in that everything media-wise is essentially in one folder regardless of the project. So you need to use the media management a little more than simply dragging and dropping clips from one folder to the next.

However its pretty easily done once you get used to the workflow. I have moved projects from machine to machine many times without too much hassle.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 12, 2012 at 10:22:31 pm

[Neil Patience] "The media management on Media Composer is better than both FCP and Premiere."

That is very true, always has been and still is. I'm not a fan of Avid but when I've worked on it at various times in the past it's always been so easy to move around edit systems with the media drives.

FCPX improved it's management with the last update, if you choose you can copy all media to the project folder which should make portability easier, but I've found the reconnect media command to be slow to use when you have to reconnect manually.

I'm not sure about Premiere but I've never heard anyone say anything nice about it's media management!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 12, 2012 at 11:26:07 pm

[Paul Mullen] "I suspect this would be a bit of a hassle with Avid, but wondered if anyone else has experience of this"

To the contrary, I'm finding moving media around with Avid to be a snap. In fact, for the fun of it I've been bouncing around between FCP 7 and Media Composer timelines using the Boris conversion tool, and it has been remarkably easy. Avid thinks of media a bit differently, but not as differently as FCP X. I find it a delight.

Return to posts index

Paul Mullen
on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:29:06 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know that MC is a viable option for this. Decision time soon for us.
P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]