FORUMS: list search recent posts

X2Pro FAQ

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lemur Hayop
X2Pro FAQ
on Mar 11, 2012 at 5:36:36 am

The website now has an FAQ and other information. Maybe it'll launch soon.
http://www.x2pro.net/faqs.html

While waiting I was forced to experiment with FCPX's audio features and plug-ins. Plug-ins are OK, but don't seem too responsive.

http://www.k9sound.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: X2Pro FAQ
on Mar 11, 2012 at 9:35:05 am

Looks very promising

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 12, 2012 at 12:12:11 am

faq quote "FCP-X does not have an analogous concept to tracks in a Pro Tools timeline, so a converted project will look different in Pro Tools compared with FCP-X. We use the names of Roles and the primary lane number to sort the media. In addition the number of overlapping media, anchoring of media and multi-channel audio files can all increase the number of tracks in Pro Tools."

God knows I'm sure its nothing but a hard fought coding effort, but the above sounds equivalent to trying to shoehorn something very strange and very square into a circular post production circle. Is it reasonable to presume that an entirely alien edit system is ever going to bed into broader production and post production given that almost no facility or broadcaster, no production house or employer of any description has shown any willingness to employ it as an edit system in the first place?

What rational basis is there for thinking that this will change? If the people that actually employ people to be editors will not touch this system, and they have thus far overwhelmingly shown that they will not, and if Apple will not relent on FCPX's basic architecture, and they show no inclination of doing so, how is this system anything other than a smashed brick wall dead end? Apple can't make employers use it, and its pretty obvious, from what Jordan and many others have said, that industry opinion and reaction, right up to its release, carried absolutely no weight with Apple. How do you possibly square this?

Unless I'm missing something, if FCPX resolutely remains FCPX, and the industry continues to leave it dead in the water, as it is currently doing, then Apple will have happily ceded command of all future paid media editing, with its attendant ecosystem of media transport and delivery, not to mention the hardware and software itself.

It's nuts.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Mar 12, 2012 at 12:06:45 pm

er, doesnt seem to do this either:

"X2Pro v1.0 gives a clear warning when it meets comes across elements of a sequence which it does not currently translate such as volume, panning, fades, timemaps, effects and markers."

It doesn't translate volume ? Panning ? Was this something that worked before as OMF or AAF export ?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 12, 2012 at 1:42:03 pm

[James Mortner] "
It doesn't translate volume ? Panning ? Was this something that worked before as OMF or AAF export ?"

It won't translate volume or panning on the initial release but apparently this will be added in fairly soon.

Yes, volume and pan are currently catered for in OMD and AAF.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 12, 2012 at 5:36:43 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Yes, volume and pan are currently catered for in OMD and AAF."

OMD? is it the eighties again?

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:14:36 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "Yes, volume and pan are currently catered for in OMD and AAF."

It begs the question, why is this functionality now gone ? Its kind of important and forces the audio guys to re-do loads of work completed in the edit bay

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:08:10 am

[James Mortner] "
It begs the question, why is this functionality now gone ? Its kind of important and forces the audio guys to re-do loads of work completed in the edit bay"

Well, there are two answers to that.

The first is that it appears that X2Pro will be adding volume and pan support very shortly.

The second is that every sound mixer I have ever met loves to rip apart everything they have been given by the picture editor - because only sound people know how it should be done ;-)

All the signs are that X2Pro is going to be an excellent product and one that finally plugs one of the biggest gaps in FCPX from a (high-end) professional user's point of view.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:18:31 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "because only sound people know how it should be done ;-)"

True that !

Will be interesting to see more of these helpful plugins forming some sort of ecosystem around X.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:45:05 am

Trust me, the levels and panning from an edit are next to useless in sound post. Firstly we don't dip clips, we dip sub mix stems. Secondly your levels suck and make no sense once proper EQ and dynamics processing and bus routing are added.

Thirdly you have little or no idea of deliverables and track layouts. But relax, we don't expect those things and we all ignore or re zero all clip gain and panning before we start so don't sweat that those features are not yet available.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:50:01 am

[Michael Gissing] "Trust me, the levels and panning from an edit are next to useless in sound post."

See what I mean?! The sound guy always knows best.

And I should know - I work on both sides of the divide ;-)

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Mar 13, 2012 at 12:16:07 pm

To think, all those years I thought my work "meant something"...

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 13, 2012 at 1:12:00 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "All the signs are that X2Pro is going to be an excellent product and one that finally plugs one of the biggest gaps in FCPX from a (high-end) professional user's point of view."

I hope you're right, I'm cutting a feature that's going to need it to work!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Chris Steele
on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:24:51 am

Thanks Steve, thanks Simon!

We are certainly keen to make sure the X2Pro plugs this gap, and plugs it well.

This all takes time as the two applications are very different in their approaches. Our engineers have a lot of experience of this type of work, but understanding FCPX's infinitely nestable clips took some effort!

I'm not being critical here. Having been a little sceptical at first, I have to say that the more I see of FCPX and of its rapid development direction, the more impressed I am. I've been creating tools in this industry for a long time, but I really think the FCPX team have done a great job, and have seen the future of editing.

So we are really keen to hear about the features you guys need most, so that we can prioritise those first. Or perhaps you need other tools to blue FCPX back into your professional workflows? Let us know!

Chris Steele
Product Manager
Marquis Broadcast

Return to posts index

Tom Hassall
on May 30, 2012 at 12:43:24 pm

Marquis Broadcast are running a survey competition on the X2Pro website to win one of 5 copies.

The competition runs until the end of June 2012.

http://www.x2pro.net/competition.html

Return to posts index

Chris Steele
on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:10:14 am

Hi James. Yes, we had to leave levels out of the first release in order to get it out as soon as possible. Without it there was no way to go from FCPX 10.0.3 to ProTools, so we were under a lot of pressure from folks using FCPX on productions now to release something which would at least translate the edits.

The good news is that we are working on this right now and hope to have first efforts in the hands of one or two beta testers next week. It will deal with levels, automation gain and fade handles. Because these can be applied in several ways in FCPX using compound clips, we have to concatenate them all into a series of keyframes on each track in ProTools. Fade handles will initially be translated into a straight linear fade.

We've not included panning in this work. Feedback from the market is that the audio guys don't want panning information from the edit, so we've set this to a lower priority. Happy to hear counter views!

Chris Steele
Product Manager
Marquis Broadcast

Return to posts index

Chris Steele
on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:04:23 am

Thanks for your interest Lemur, X2Pro has been submitted to the Mac App Store for review by Apple. We can't be sure how long that will take but I hope it will be available next week.

Chris Steele
Product Manager
Marquis Broadcast

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]