FORUMS: list search recent posts

Larry Jordan

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony west
Larry Jordan
on Mar 10, 2012 at 1:24:23 pm

If you haven't had a chance to see Larry Jordan breakdown
FCP X 10.0.3 at the last LA FCP User Group it's worth a watch.

It's a two part deal on Youtube.

I like watching Jordan for a number of reasons.

He has been making films since the 50's

He know's both Legacy and X inside and out and can do a great job comparing the two.

He has access to Apple's top people and can get in their actual face and ask the questions that others are just speculating about.

There are many points he talks about that we can discuss after you have seen it.

It's interesting when he gets to the multicam part and he talks about how Glee is shot.

I have heard it said many times that there is no one doing anything in
LA with X, and wont for a long time.

Yet here in my smaller town St. Louis we don't have events like that on X

I would have to go to LA to see Jordan at an X event or Vegas (LA's backyard). Kind of ironic right? : )

Those LA editors seemed to enjoy Larry's demo on X, and I think you will to.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
Re: Larry Jordan
on Mar 10, 2012 at 3:05:10 pm

[tony west] "He has been making films since the 50's"

Thanks for the link Tony.

I think you might be confusing our bearded FCP(X) guru for Larry Jordan the independent Bay Area filmmaker who has been making films since 1952. (Wikipedia)

That would make pour Larry about 80 years old and if it is the same guy does he eat nectar to stay looking so youthful?

I dont' think our Larry is quite that old!

And if so so am I!

Return to posts index

tony west
on Mar 10, 2012 at 3:13:37 pm

hahaha

Thank's Mark

I'm sure he would say dude, do I look that old : )

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Mar 10, 2012 at 4:43:42 pm

It's alway great to catch Larry live.

He is an incredibly knowledgeable guy and is also very approachable.

He has great sense of humour, very dry, and doesn't do the slightly ponderous 3 stage learning technique that he uses in his online tutorials.

1. This is my name and this is what we are about to learn and in case you miss that here are my words typed onto the screen.

2. this is actually what I am teaching and its really is quite interesting and . . .

3. This is what I have just been teaching you and in case you missed that, here are my words typed onto the screen and by the way this is my name.

The snappiest online trainer I've come across is Michael Wohl.

He really shifts through the material with the knowledge that we are able to rewind and watch anything we haven't picked up the first time.

And lets not forget Ripple Training who create great tutorial material and, like Larry, also provide an immense amount of free stuff through their weekly podcasts.

Never been a better time to learn.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:01:55 pm

Mark,

Though slightly off topic (okay very OT), take a look at the free AVID 6 training series we at ProMAX are giving the world at a cost of zero dollars... Below is the first of the twelve in-depth sessions with trainer Steve Holyhead. (BTW, don't let the low-res of #1 bother ya, the rest are all HD).

I think Steve is darned good, but please, let me know what you think. BTW, this series isn't just a glossy sales tool, it covers all of the important aspects of editing in-depth, and I feel it will get FCP users up and cutting on AVID as good as any other series of tutorials out there. I hope you'll check it out...

http://www.promax.com/s-133-session-1.aspx

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com
Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:14:49 pm

Something, something, something, something, "Dark Side." :)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:22:14 pm

[Bret Williams] "Something, something, something, something, "Dark Side." :)"

But in this case the Dark Side comes to you free.

This training, combined with AVID's 30-day MC6 demo, will get most people cutting "real" projects in days, not weeks. And, you've got to admit Bret, AVID is very powerful.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Mar 10, 2012 at 6:02:38 pm

Hi David,

Well I can't pass your offer by.

Although I'm not inclined to change my editing software at the moment it will be interesting to see what similarities or differences there are.

I'm not one of the brainiest editors and I couldn't, as others do, happily switch between NLE systems on a day to day basis.

Just the one horse for me.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 10, 2012 at 6:31:37 pm

[Mark Dobson] "Well I can't pass your offer by. "

Go for it Mark, or you might be left in the dust... At least that's my philosophy.

The Smart Tool will be your friend... Yes, it's intimidating initially to all of us FCPers, but not nearly so when Steve Holyhead shows you the way.

Enjoy!!!

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 10, 2012 at 6:58:34 pm

Perhaps you should give the link it's own thread? It might get missed in a thread about Larry Jordan

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 10, 2012 at 10:38:48 pm

[Steve Connor] "Perhaps you should give the link it's own thread? It might get missed in a thread about Larry Jordan"

Good idea. I will do that Steve. I'm just concerned about anyone thinking or suggesting that I'm now a mercenary. But hopefully, telling everyone about our free stuff won't get anyone upset.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 10, 2012 at 9:27:24 pm

Ah David I was just poking fun at your new job, and trying to make a funny Family Guy reference at the same time.

It's an awesome deal. And I haven't committed to my next editing system yet either. I demoed Avid 5.5 and was wowed by the AMA in that. I hear 6 is so much better. I'm really hoping to get Premiere working, and it sounds like some of the corporate clients are looking at FCPX for at least some things. It's worth $300 just for the keyer. Right now I'm just playing with it as I am Premiere CS5. They both freeze or crash so often that neither has my interest really. But I already have Premiere in my Adobe bundle so if I can make it work when CS6 comes out that'd be great because I do a lot of AE and the integration would be nice. Avid would be nice too. It's the cost really. And if the corporations I'm working with aren't using it in their in house suites, then there's no need.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 10, 2012 at 6:18:40 pm

yep its kind of incredible that this series is free as the birds - a lot of people in london are chugging through it.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 10, 2012 at 6:28:39 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "yep its kind of incredible that this series is free as the birds - a lot of people in london are chugging through it."

Me too! I've not found a better nor more cost effective way to learn AVID - it just happens that I also work for these guys now, but I'd be telling you guys about their free training even if I didn't, cuz I believe in it.

BTW, I think you guys will find the AVID Smart Tool is about as close to editing with FCP as you could imagine - so make sure you really wrap your heads around it.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 10, 2012 at 9:12:43 pm

Smart tool is great and I'd be 10% Avid right now if it wasn't for the limited audio tracks. Just can't understand why Avid has never improved this? Since I do a lot of animation and sound design as I cut I need more than 16 tracks or 8 stereo pairs - bums me out. No I don't want to work with mix downs...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 10, 2012 at 9:58:30 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "if it wasn't for the limited audio tracks. Just can't understand why Avid has never improved this? Since I do a lot of animation and sound design as I cut I need more than 16 tracks or 8 stereo pairs - bums me out. No I don't want to work with mix downs..."

Agreed. That's definitely one on my current sore points. If I'm delicate, I can live with it. But I'm hoping it is a limitation they will get over relatively soon. As to Smart Tool, you are right--it's fab. And, man, 6 is a whole lot better than 2.8, which is about where I left it. And, I think I just did not appreciate the rest of the trimming tools at the time. Maybe I'm just a more mature editor now, but I really am enjoying the keyboard trimming. No skimmer, of course; but you can't have everything.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 10, 2012 at 10:49:20 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Smart tool is great"

It's so funny to hear how many die hard AVID editors really hate it though.

I worked an AVID event earlier this week in Salt Lake that had all kinds of editors, from long-term AVID users, to FCP users looking at making the switch. The FCP users were ogling and ooing and ahing over the Smart Tool, while the old AVID guys were moaning and calling it the Dumb Tool.

It seems the long of tooth AVID guys toggle it on and then forget it's on, and that causes them to make mistakes. They just love to grouse about it. I was wondering, did no one ever tell them about the undo function?

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 11, 2012 at 12:11:34 am

Well there's nothing cooler than watching a true Avid pro editing - very little mouse usage at all - they just fly through with keyboard shortcuts etc. That's not me, I've used Avid off and on for years but need my mouse and after so many years with NLE's like FCP and Vegas I need the Smart Tool for sure.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2012 at 5:06:21 am

Well having been an Avid editor almost solely for a few years after Media 100 and before FCP I still feel it looks fast because you have to press 6 or so keys to accomplish one mouse drag and drop. So you get pretty fast at hitting those keys.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 12, 2012 at 11:57:07 am

"I still feel it looks fast because you have to press 6 or so keys to accomplish one mouse drag and drop"

On the health and safety side, mouse usage over long term results in wrist fatigue much more than keystrokes. Try a weekend of doing rotosplines purely with a mouse, or mixing with a virtual mixture purely with a mouse and your wrist will feel completely worn out.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 11, 2012 at 2:23:04 am

[Lance Bachelder] "I need more than 16 tracks or 8 stereo pairs - bums me out"

Just for clarification, Avid MC6 maxes out at 24 tracks. Each track can be mono, stereo, 5.1 and/or 7.1. I haven't actually tried to edit anything with 24 tracks of 7.1 (192 tracks), but in theory you could. Also worth noting that effects can be both track-based and clip-based, with up to 5 real-time filters per track. It's not Vegas, but that's still pretty good compared to older versions of MC.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 11, 2012 at 4:52:10 am

It's not about how many tracks you can have on the timeline - it's how many you can HEAR at one time. Avid has never improved beyond 16 mono or 8 stereo tracks that can be monitored at any one time (yes they've added 5.1 and 7.1 in 6 but no increase in track count). I was really hoping this limit would go away in MC 6 but it hasn't yet.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 11, 2012 at 12:00:41 pm

"It's not about how many tracks you can have on the timeline - it's how many you can HEAR at one time."

Got it.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 10, 2012 at 10:37:19 pm

Personally what I truly appreciate is when I click on a tutorial and it says "Trimming and Editing Techniques" that the first line of the video is "Ok, here is the trim tool."

Instead I watched about 3 minutes of a freeze frame while I got an entire dissertation on the background, staff, upcoming events, sponsors, purpose of the site, nature of the link I clicked on, how in-depth it would be, and a brief history of Avid.

Ok not quite that bad, but these kinds of videos have to stop with the boated intros...it's a student demo reel mistake.

I friggin know why I'm there. Get to it or I'm gone.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 10, 2012 at 11:06:17 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "Instead I watched about 3 minutes of a freeze frame while I got an entire dissertation on the background, staff, upcoming events, sponsors, purpose of the site, nature of the link I clicked on, how in-depth it would be, and a brief history of Avid."

Actually Rich, after watching a few of the others in the series, I was kind of glad Steve Holyhead took the time to give some perspective on how AVID got where it is today. But, I can understand you want them to get into the meat of things. Once he gets going though, I think Steve really is thorough, and he shows you what you really need to know. Don't you think?

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 11, 2012 at 2:52:20 am

Have no idea. Never got that far.

Plus, the navigation within the movie file was abysmal. And correct me if I'm wrong but there is no indication of how long the segment is while you are watching them. You just watch the blue bar grow and try to calculate how long it would take to get across to the other side.

You wanted feedback...this is all I've got.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 11, 2012 at 3:00:00 am

Just for the heck of it I went back and gave the Avid training videos on the ProMax site that David recommended another shot.

Four minutes in they were still asking me to tell all my friends so they could keep making more of these. What is this, a pyramid scheme or training?

So far I haven't watched a second of training in almost 7 minutes of viewing.

I say...redo. Or use the trim tool you were supposedly going to show me and trim the first 5 minutes of the videos.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 11, 2012 at 6:31:25 am

Anecdote signifying nothing really... or possibly everything.

My first serious VO demo reel a hundred years ago. I start by saying "Hi, I'm Bill Davis and I've been doing VO work for a few years... then I splice in a light toned spot, a high energy read, and then a really goofy spot where I had to do the voice of a cartoon style chicken (badly) - then a half a dozen other snippets, goofy voices and clips of narration. I think I spent two full days working my butt off to make it as perfect as possible.

Local agency hires me for a series of 12 spots largely off that reel.

We're doing our third session and there's a lull while the producer phones the office to check on some copy. Somebody mentions demo reels so I ask - "hey, did you guys hire me because of that great "chicken voice" on my reel"

The producer looks puzzled.

I say "the chicken voice I did for that fast food joint?"

He looks at me and says the following.

We had a stack of about 20 reels. I think yours was the second one we listened to.

I remember you said "Hi, my name's Bill Davis" - and the client said "he's okay, now lets get back to work on the copy..."

I've never forgotten that lesson.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2012 at 5:11:29 am

And that lesson was what? Successful people are just lucky? Don't bother to work hard, it doesn't make a difference?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 12, 2012 at 5:20:50 pm

[Bret Williams] "And that lesson was what? Successful people are just lucky? Don't bother to work hard, it doesn't make a difference?"

Bill wasn't lucky, he was good enough that his ID was all they needed to hear.

How about these possible lessons -

Get to the point.

First impressions matter most.

If your demo is more than 3 minutes long, it's way too long.

It's also a reminder to make your slate and countdown as slick as possible; right or wrong you can be judged on that as much as the content of the show.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 13, 2012 at 1:04:40 am

Herb is correct on all counts.

The lesson I took away is that it doesn't matter so much what *I* think matters. It's all about what the client thinks matters.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:48:40 am

Sorry if I'm dense. I heard "the second guy in the stack of reels sounded ok and I've got better things to do, so use him." So I figured the moral of the story was "make sure your r reel sounds good enough and it's lucky enough to be the first or second one in the stack." :)

I agree with you and Herb's points. And you were there. I wasn't. I'm sure you were and are that amazing! :P

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 13, 2012 at 3:16:05 pm

[Bill Davis] "Herb is correct on all counts."

Thank you Bill.

I think I'll have that notion embroidered and hang it on my wall and point to it whenever my client/boss/wife/son disagrees with me. If they have a problem with it I'll tell them to take it up with you.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:10:32 pm

[Bill Davis] "It's all about what the client thinks matters."

True, that.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 11, 2012 at 6:40:57 am

Rich,

With all due respect, I think you're missing the point. I wasn't involved in the editing or creation of these, and wasn't really speaking about their prodution quality as standalone videos, afterall, they are recorded live webinars anyway.

The bottom line is, once the tutorial section begins, the lessons are excellent, and if you allow the other stuff to get in your way of that, you're missing out on a truly superb, free educational opportunity that would undoubtedly further your knowledge of editing and, best of all, finishing, on AVID.

There's a shell on a lobster too, but what's inside is oh so sweet. I've given you directions to find lots of free lobster... I hope you can figure out how to get to the good part.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Mar 12, 2012 at 1:18:57 pm

David they are excellent but stop in the middle of the series (one said Webinar over - but there was no way to view it..) and the next one is March 20th.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 12, 2012 at 1:53:51 pm

[Andy Field] "David they are excellent but stop in the middle of the series (one said Webinar over - but there was no way to view it..) and the next one is March 20th."

The series is ongoing Andy, and some are still not yet in the can. But, I'll have our internet guy check them today to see if there are any problems, as I haven't watched them all yet myself.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

Gary Slickman
on Mar 12, 2012 at 3:36:56 pm

"Though slightly off topic (okay very OT), take a look at the free AVID 6 training series we at ProMAX are giving the world at a cost of zero dollars..."

David I appreciate the knowledge you have so freely shared over the years. You have taught me much and for that I am most grateful.

I mean no disrespect but I think however that you totally high jacked this thread. In this marketplace as Philip Hodgetts has pointed out, Free is a very viable business model. It builds brand awareness and attracts audience that builds community. It has been used by the biggest and best on the internet like Facebook, Youtube, WordPress to build a user base that can be than marketed to very conveniently for paid products or services. It's actually quite brilliant, especially when it is executed to this level of success.

I certainly do not begrudge your right to make a living. In fact I hope you do because you give back and represent our industry in such a professional manner. I just don't think it's appropriate to introduce such an unrelated detour to this discussion.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Mar 12, 2012 at 4:53:47 pm

Respectfully disagree with Gary's assessment - I haven't bought a thing from ProMax...and am hungry to become as proficient at AVID as I've been at FCP7...these webinars are solid and have helped me over some of the learning curb speed bumps. If someone who hasn't bought the software/gear yet get steered to ProMax....great...they deserve the business for providing a great value added tutorial.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Mar 12, 2012 at 4:55:53 pm

PS the thread started with a "free" lecture from Larry Jordan. Another terrific trainer...but he's doing it for "free" for the same reason ProMax posted the Avid training. To connect with potential clients.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 12, 2012 at 4:57:03 pm

[Gary Slickman] "I mean no disrespect but I think however that you totally high jacked this thread."
I would rather say that the thread subject (Larry Jordan) haven't catch much people's attention.
Do you have any thing to add about Jordan's video so we can go back to the subject?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 12, 2012 at 5:25:06 pm

[Gary Slickman] "I mean no disrespect but I think however that you totally high jacked this thread."

I don't see it that way at all. It's a good sidebar to this thread.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 13, 2012 at 1:07:05 am

[Gary Slickman] "I certainly do not begrudge your right to make a living. In fact I hope you do because you give back and represent our industry in such a professional manner. I just don't think it's appropriate to introduce such an unrelated detour to this discussion."

Sorry Gary! Your point is not at all misplaced. They were discussing training techniques, so I inserted something about training, simply because I wanted to share it with everyone. As you will see further down, I even told Steve that I wanted to avoid seeming mercenary...

Please know that, as always, I try my best to help others here. I'm new to my position with ProMAX, and I'm still trying to figure out how to do everything I used to do, and more, without getting on anyone's nerves. But, it's a work in progress...

BTW, I'm not at all sure what to do when I want everyone here to know about a great new product or solution I know of (because of my position) that will solve their problems. If you have any ideas for me, I'm always open to new ideas.

THNX,
DRW

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 13, 2012 at 5:37:43 am

[David Roth Weiss] "
Please know that, as always, I try my best to help others here. I'm new to my position with ProMAX, and I'm still trying to figure out how to do everything I used to do, and more, without getting on anyone's nerves. But, it's a work in progress... "

FWIW, I wasn't troubled by the segue. It started with a simple link to an LJ freebee, rambled a bit, and then you added a link to another freebee. The forum is every bit as much about "or not" as it is about FCP X. The post seemed to flow on the regular tide of conversation and it wasn't until somebody decided to critique the freebee that things seemed to go awry. Not your doing. Just my opinion.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 13, 2012 at 8:03:28 am

[David Roth Weiss] "BTW, I'm not at all sure what to do when I want everyone here to know about a great new product or solution I know of (because of my position) that will solve their problems. If you have any ideas for me, I'm always open to new ideas.
"

IMHO keep it up! These forums are all about information, as far as "unrelated detours, pretty much every post on this forum ends up in a very different place than it started anyway.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:50:18 pm

Thanks for your support guys, and thanks for the input Gary. It's all grist for the mill as they say...

The bottom line is, I'm always learning new things, and I've always worked hard to share what I know and what I learn with people on the Cow. And, while I do think carefully about what I write, I'm as imperfect as anyone when it come right down to it. The fact that I've written more than most (seventh leading poster of all times on Creative Cow last time I looked), means that I'm probably imperfect a bit more too.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]