FORUMS: list search recent posts

Confession of a switcher

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Cardonna
Confession of a switcher
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:04:22 pm

Dave Dessel experience on switching

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/moving-to-adobe-premiere-pro-/confessions-of-a-sw...

rc

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Confession of a switcher
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:16:34 pm

Confession number 1 - I switched it off after about 10 minutes

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:39:10 pm

Ugh...I didn't even make it to 10 min. I got about 8 min in.

Dry...slow...boring. Didn't grab my attention at all.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:00:27 pm

Come on guys. This is the modern reality of marketing.

Instead of spending vast amounts on paid advertising, a company looks for "influencers" to tell their stories and convince others to follow their lead.

Its a practical extension of today's shift more toward social media.

I actually dont' have a problem with this technique. If any editor likes their software, then by all means they should spread the word. And if their software company likes what they say and wants to propagate that message - that's playing fairly, IMO.

I will say I'm usually more convinced when the link drives me to some passionate users site or a trusted third party source rather than directly to a company promo page, but hey, if something drives me to an Apple site for a story about FCP-X - I don't have a problem with that - so it's every bit as fair when a story link drives someone to Adobe's site.

(I do kinda think it's amusing that the post was dropped here rather than the Adobe Premier Cow board - could that be because a board about X generates a lot more traffic than any board about Premier after all these months? nah, couldn't be. ; )

In the end, information is information, and people should be allowed to gather and judge it on it's own merits, filtered through their own criteria.

My 2 cents, anyway.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:18:49 pm

[Bill Davis] "Instead of spending vast amounts on paid advertising, a company looks for "influencers" to tell their stories and convince others to follow their lead.
"

That's true, but at least do it well!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:28:02 pm

As one of the people used by companies in this manner Bill, I agree. But the reason they use me is I am not boring, apparently. Not to talk myself up and pat myself on the back...as I have done some HORRID demos in my time. But one thing I learned is how to be dynamic, and what it takes to grab people's attention.

Everything he did...powerpoint, bullet points, droning talk...is what I avoid. Just be natural and tell real life stories. He might have had some good real life examples in there, but it was behind all the boring stuff that I was falling asleep listening to.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:01:19 pm

Adobe is missing an opportunity to recruit disaffected FCP 7 users with a clean clear "here's how you make the transition" video - taking what this gentlemen did with a listless Powerpoint and help editors see the advantages of transitioning.

Like many FCP 7 editors, I would love to like FCP X...but with its trackless, still doesn't play well with others (we need to Autoduck to go Avid every day which still works fine with FCP 7) No audio mixer (am I the only one who loved ability to mix and record keyframes with virtual faders in real time?)

...no tracks, no viewer for eyeline match edits...still no solid broadcast monitoring out...etc..etc..)

As much as it's new and improved, it feels like a giant step backward for our work flow...Wish it wasn't because it sure looks like it could be terrific if Apple had listened to editors who use this for broadcast and film every day.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:27:13 pm

[Andy Field] "Like many FCP 7 editors, I would love to like FCP X...but with its trackless, still doesn't play well with others (we need to Autoduck to go Avid every day which still works fine with FCP 7) No audio mixer (am I the only one who loved ability to mix and record keyframes with virtual faders in real time?)

...no tracks, no viewer for eyeline match edits...still no solid broadcast monitoring out...etc..etc..)

As much as it's new and improved, it feels like a giant step backward for our work flow...Wish it wasn't because it sure looks like it could be terrific if Apple had listened to editors who use this for broadcast and film every day"

I commiserate Andy. I really like the new program and yet don't like it at the same time.
It's schizophrenic.
I'll do a project like I am right now and think how much I like the interface and so many of the new features.
But two days ago on a different project I was literally ready to forgo the improvements and go back to 7.

At this stage in Apple's development of FCP, they should absolutely be offering more options not less.
Tracks and mixers and magnets and meta data...they're all good tools. Apple shouldn't be reducing and limiting important tools at this stage.

There would be no need for their professional users to even be considering migrating to another system if they hadn't taken an exclusionary route in development.

No matter how smart your idea is, less is never more.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:09:02 pm

Ouch. I want to be kind and all, but that's really poor stuff right down to the distorted audio.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:35:27 pm

[Shane Ross] " droning talk"

hahaha

You are right on point

Shane

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:11:25 pm

I couldn't even make it through the moderators intro. This is the type of presentation I'd rather read about than waste an hour of my life watching.

Cheers

John Chrisite

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:13:53 pm

Ouch... that was embarrassingly pitiful. Presentations like that actually have the opposite effect on me... I'd keep using legacy FCP ...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:28:43 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Ouch... that was embarrassingly pitiful. "

Ouch, that's tow "ouches" in a short thread.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 10, 2012 at 2:40:37 am

[Bill Davis] "In the end, information is information, and people should be allowed to gather and judge it on it's own merits, filtered through their own criteria.

My 2 cents, anyway."

You've spent your 2 cents way too many times Bill.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 10, 2012 at 4:34:27 am

[David Roth Weiss] "My 2 cents, anyway."

You've spent your 2 cents way too many times Bill."

Nice to see you're making points about my arguments and not about me...

oh, wait...

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:39:38 pm

[Shane Ross] "Ugh...I didn't even make it to 10 min. I got about 8 min in. "

How could you take it for 8 minutes? Even though I was forewarned I had to stop by 4:37. I know where they got the title from, after 4 minutes of his voice and pacing I was willing to confess to anything. That presentation should be sold as a military interrogation weapon.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Mar 10, 2012 at 1:49:14 am

I dunno... after Steve's comment, it was like a roomful of people passing around a quart of bad milk, saying "Does this smell bad to you?". I managed not to inhale. :P

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Mar 10, 2012 at 10:37:47 am

[Herb Sevush] "after 4 minutes of his voice and pacing I was willing to confess to anything. That presentation should be sold as a military interrogation weapon.
"

Never in my entire freaking life did I think I'd type the dreaded LOL.
But I am.

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:17:23 pm

I LOL'd as well, god help me

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:21:01 am

I'm about the biggest Premiere Pro supporter there is, and I'm glad it's finally being taken seriously- but even I have to confess...

That video was GOD AWFUL. Couldn't they at least change the color of the background every once in a while? ;)

This one about Act of Valor, on the other hand, was pretty cool. I didn't know they used Premiere Pro for this. (It was offlined in Avid first, then finished in PPro and AE)

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/moving-to-adobe-premiere-pro-/act-of-valor-bandit...

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 10, 2012 at 10:26:39 pm

Yup...that one was a stinker. I think I took in about all of 25 seconds of it.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Mar 13, 2012 at 1:31:27 am

I'm sorry but Adobe needs to take that offline right now. It will not do their cause any good whatsoever.

After 5 mins of torture I clicked in at 20, 30 and 40 mins. It didn't get any better.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]