FORUMS: list search recent posts

Macworld on the prospect of a new Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Richards
Macworld on the prospect of a new Mac Pro
on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:15:24 pm

We're not the only ones speculating.

It is interesting to read the comments from Mac Pro users in other industries.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Macworld on the prospect of a new Mac Pro
on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:38:24 pm

can't we all just go back five years? have dell towers broadly purchased by consumers, and track based video editors as far as the eye can see?

I'm beginning to despise change.. in my thirties.

If I could go back in time, I'm not sure I'd kill Hitler, I think I might destroy the iOS blueprints.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:48:13 pm

My analogy is race cars compared to street cars. If anyone knows any gear heads, wrench monkeys, then you know they just build fast cars because they can. I imagine the guys who actually build computers at apple are the same kind of wrench monkeys. They just can. My question is: what are they making that's so secretive? Some kind of Ford Taurus? Or some kind of Formula 1. Surely they aren't just surfing facebook or the cow on an ipad3.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:09:21 pm

[Richard Herd] "If anyone knows any gear heads, wrench monkeys, then you know they just build fast cars because they can. I imagine the guys who actually build computers at apple are the same kind of wrench monkeys."

I suspect you’re right. Apple is big on the ‘halo effect’ and that applies to technology innovation as much as to iPods, iMacs, iPads. As I understand it, they’re a co-developer of Thunderbolt with a potential for 100 Gbps speeds with fibre optics. PCIe 3.0 just around the corner and I imagine other developments that are still a secret. Look at the amount of research IBM does on new technology. Things that may be at least five to ten years away from commercial application but astounding advances.

If I ran a company with about $100B in cash and securities, I think I could afford to stay in the game for the joy of discovery and progress. Granted Apple may be selling less Mac Pros as the iMac ascends in terms of units and capabilities, but at some point, they must care about the high-end (and are not willing to leave it to HP’s servers). A company with 40% margins overall has some flexibility for an individual line’s margin.

Car companies that sell cars that we buy spend a lot on developing race cars only a few can afford because that is the platform for technology innovation that often trickles down the chain. Jobs’ mantra to do a few things well, means Apple isn’t building rocket ships or knitting needles. Apple’s ‘knitting’ is building electronic products with which people interact to do other tasks including watching TV shows and 'liberal arts' creation. I think it encompasses mobile devices (that’s what post PC means, just that mobile platforms are ascending in importance but are not the only platform), desktop devices for the masses, and workstations (for those who need a race car). It would seem the X-Serve and Xsan may have been something Apple decided others could do better, but I doubt the Mac Pro will soon be added to that list.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:30:57 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "If I could go back in time, I'm not sure I'd kill Hitler, I think I might destroy the iOS blueprints."

No spoilers!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:11:13 am

POND.

http://www.shadowlocked.com/images/stories/pics/karen_gillan/karen_gillan_B...

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:54:24 am

Nice Aindreas.

...And the only reason I'll probably watch the next season of Who!

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:28:36 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "POND.

http://www.shadowlocked.com/images/stories/pics/karen_gillan/karen_gillan_B.....
"

Random, but fantastic, thanks for posting

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 9, 2012 at 5:04:51 am

If I could go back 5 years, I'd buy even MORE Apple stock!

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Mar 9, 2012 at 4:36:12 pm

It scary but I think if Apple put 100% effort on iOS-devices today they get X million back from that. If they put 100% effort on MacPro's they'd get perhaps 1/10th of that back.

Follow the money a lot of people say.

That said, I still think even if the MacPro isn't a money-cow they are needed for a lot of people - including Apple them selves - for a lot of tasks.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 10, 2012 at 12:59:06 am

[Erik Lindahl] "It scary but I think if Apple put 100% effort on iOS-devices today they get X million back from that. If they put 100% effort on MacPro's they'd get perhaps 1/10th of that back."

I think 1/10th is way too generous. Apple sold more iDevices in 2011 than they sold Macs in the entire history of the company! And those devices are going to generate 10's of billions of dollars in revenue in App Store sales alone.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Mar 10, 2012 at 11:10:32 am

That's probably true. I just hope Apple sees the value of OSX in the creative professional community.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]