FORUMS: list search recent posts

What if there is no new Mac Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
What if there is no new Mac Pro?
on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:18:04 pm

Didn't want to interrupt the other excellent threads, but what will you do if there is no new Mac Pro? If the top end iMac is the fastest machine Apple will offer?

Some of you have made it clear what you would do, but I'm interested in what the people who are currently using FCPX will do.

Personally I'd continue with FCPX on my current machine for a lot of projects and I'd even consider a fast iMac for future use, but I'd also be investing in a PC Workstation plus CS6 for jobs that require heavy lift capabilities.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: What if there is no new Mac Pro?
on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:30:20 pm

[Steve Connor] "what will you do if there is no new Mac Pro?"

Pour a 40 on the ground.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:35:29 pm

[Andrew Richards] "Pour a 40 on the ground."

Okay Andrew, now you have to explain this phrase for those of us in the back of the class.

;o)

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:41:10 pm

[Ronald Lindeboom] "Okay Andrew, now you have to explain this phrase for those of us in the back of the class."

It is in reference to an urban rite meant to remember the dead. It is sort of like leaving an empty chair at the table for a deceased friend of relative.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:34:25 pm

A few months back I bought a new ├╝ber-iMac, the big gun. And to be honest, it chokes and stalls and the 27" screen has issues thanks to the video card and the video ram. But it was the top-of-the-line that I could get. It really is disheartening.

If this is the top of the food chain, then I am sorry but we'll run our old Intel MacPro towers until they are gone to Computer Heaven. (Where there are no streets of gold just those silicon pathways that we got to see in Tron.)

I believe Apple's vision for consumers is a compelling one and I think it will be something that adds to their coffers in the years ahead. I just wonder what the outcome will be for demanding pros. This is what has us working with Macs, Linux and Windows.

As Walter Biscardi says, it's coming down to options.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:55:36 pm

curious as what your trying to do with the IMAC 27inch top of the liner?

For video needs 1080i/p etc this should be a solid workhorse.

If your doing color in davinci than probably not or intense AE stuff/3D.

Ive been using mine with AVID 5.5 and 6.01, FCP Legacy, and AE 5.5 and its been pretty fricken smooth..Mostly 108024p, 1080i60 Prores and XDcam 422, all is well. Much smoother than my 8 core Mac Pro from 2009 with the same software. Even Davinci is useable although not realtime. Sounds like you have some OS issues or something.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:57:25 pm

also what kind of drives are hooked up? If there single drive FW 800 drives, thats probably a root of the problem too. From FW although not safe, raid 0 will speed things up. If you can afford it go thunderbolt with the pegasus or lacies.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:13:14 pm

[Neil Goodman] "also what kind of drives are hooked up? If there single drive FW 800 drives, thats probably a root of the problem too. From FW although not safe, raid 0 will speed things up. If you can afford it go thunderbolt with the pegasus or lacies.
"

I'm guessing that RL has a pretty good grasp on what his i/o options are. After all, all he has to do is read his site.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:20:16 pm

your probably right, i dont check everyones credentials that post on the cow, but like i said, i have and im sure many others have edited and completed projects on much lesser machines, so im just wondering whats making his IMAC not live up to its capabilities.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:01:53 pm

[Neil Goodman] " i dont check everyones credentials that post on the cow,"

sure me neither, but in this case, it's pretty funny.
Bud: Ron actually is the Cow.

He bore the beast back in the days of the AE silver lists and the wwugs. This is his gaff.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:37:44 pm

[Neil Goodman] "your probably right, i dont check everyones credentials that post on the cow, but like i said, i have and im sure many others have edited and completed projects on much lesser machines, so im just wondering whats making his IMAC not live up to its capabilities.
"

No worries! And, your advice was certainly good for anyone who might not know it. And you're right. I've got a number of friend who are able to address many/most broadcast concerns now that iMacs have a solid route for monitoring.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:46:51 pm

Quite. We are talking Ron Lindeboom here: we're sitting in his house.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:31:59 pm

[Neil Goodman] "curious as what your trying to do with the IMAC 27inch top of the liner?"

I process images, do conversions, create magazines, edit audio files, create and edit animations and a hundred other jobs. I do everything from soup to nuts, whatever it takes to make our clients happy. Like most people here, you learn to adapt and sell whatever your clients will buy. Doing one thing ended for me many years ago.

As you might imagine from Creative COW Magazine, I do a lot of very high resolution print (as well as audio and video). So the iMacs video ram is a real bummer and necessitates reboots from time to time to shake off the demons. [With a tip of the hat to 70s folk rockers Brewer & Shipley.] It becomes a real bummer, especially if you work with massive files like I often have to do. Audio and video are fine, it's imaging where things get dicey.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:00:49 am

[Ronald Lindeboom] "Brewer & Shipley"

One toke over the line, indeed. Next you'll be quoting Seals and Crofts.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:13:27 am

"Summer breeze makes me feel fine..." Very true in the northeast today. But the Brewer & Shipley reference sends my mind inevitably toward "...we were just around Barstow..." Amazing I have lived this long.

Tim

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Mar 9, 2012 at 11:54:06 am

[Herb Sevush] "Next you'll be quoting Seals and Crofts."

I had to smile at that, Herb. True story: one concert in a galaxy far far away, we were all waiting in line at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino to see Leon Russell, Procol Harum and Uriah Heep and who should be playing out on the sidewalk for those waiting in line? You guessed it, Seals & Crofts. Ends up they were recording their first album and so the show promoters introduce them at the start of the show and tell everybody that "Those guys that were playing out on the sidewalk are recording their first record for Warner Bros., which will be out in a few months and so here they are to do a few songs for you all, Seals & Crofts."

It was an awesome show. Quite remarkable. Oh yeah, and it cost me all of about $5 or so as I recall. ;o)

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:47:54 pm

[Ronald Lindeboom] "we were all waiting in line at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino to see Leon Russell, Procol Harum and Uriah Heep"

I'm hoping Procol Harum was the headliner. Even at $5 I wouldn't wait in line for Uriah Heep.

In NYC there used to be a series of summer concerts in Central Park at the old Wollman Skating Rink - I think Schaeffer Beer was the sponsor. $3 for 2 acts. Best bang for the buck - I saw Led Zeppelin, touring behind their first album, with B.B King as the opener. When LZ came on stage Robert Plant kept apologizing for headlining over B.B - said he wanted to do it the other way but the promoters wouldn't let them.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:40:03 pm

Then I will go with the solution that works for me. Mac OS, MS Windows, Linux, or whatever. If Apple is no longer going to make MacPros's then I will turn away from Apple and seek what works properly for my workflow. I don't think Apple going after my market. If I am wrong and they come out with something transformational (before NAB) then I will take another look. Otherwise for my purposes, they make pop guns.

Tim

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:43:28 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Otherwise for my purposes, they make pop guns."

Cool pop guns, but yeah.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:45:48 pm

Very cool. And I want their pop guns. But I'm not willing to sacrifice my business to own them.

Tim

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:07:10 am

hahah whoops, didnt know i was addressing the main cow himself! all due respect Ronald! im failry new around here.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:09:11 am

[Neil Goodman]"hahah whoops, didnt know i was addressing the main cow himself! all due respect Ronald! im failry new around here."

Now you've gone and emasculated the poor man. Main Bull surely!

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:30:40 am

[Michael Gissing] "Main Bull surely!"

"The main bull, Shirley."

Wow, now you have me really confused, Michael. My name is Ronald.

;o)

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:14:09 am

[TImothy Auld] "Very cool. And I want their pop guns. But I'm not willing to sacrifice my business to own them.

Tim
"

No, I'm with ya. I keep almost buying a new Macbook Pro, and then stalling because I keep realizing I might actually be at the edge of a platform change. I may still go ahead since I'll continue to be proRes-centric for awhile. As to Tbolt--while it is still enticing--I'm starting to get a little mad at it. I know they are slower, but usb3 and a nice eSata port would meet my needs nicely, and every heavyweight PC portable in the world has had those standard for a good long time now. 2 years, maybe. More? I know that Tbolt is now here-ish, but wow--it isn't exactly raining Tbolt devices, and probably won't be for some time.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:25:33 am

Yeah, I'm waiting for NAB (which I might actually go to this year after a four or so year hiatus) to provide some clarity. It probably will with software. With hardware? I think it's gonna be anybody's guess, at least for this year.

Tim

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:53:43 am

If there is no new macpro, and all thats left are the top end iMacs..should'nt Thunderbolt be able to solve all the extra power needs? Like these things from Sonnet? http://www.sonnettech.com/product/thunderbolt/index.html It is my understanding that you can connect Top class multiple GPUs, RedRockets, RAID etc thru one of those thunderbolt adapters to any TB enabled mac right? So what the problem? Ever heard of the macbook air that can edit/playback 4k redcode raw files? http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2012/01/editing-red-video-on-a-macbook-air.htm...

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:10:53 am

[Gerald Baria] "It is my understanding that you can connect Top class multiple GPUs, RedRockets, RAID etc thru one of those thunderbolt adapters to any TB enabled mac right? So what the problem?"

In fact, you can't connect even one GPU via Thunderbolt, let alone multiple top class ones. It's 4x pipe is way too slow to allow for a GPU to deliver its full performance and it just isn't possible under OSX at the moment at all, regardless of the bandwith limitation. As far as the rest is concerned, yeah, some options there, but video io, a raid and two monitors at the same time and there goes your bandwith and reliability.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:14:04 am

Of course. Thunderbolt solves all problems just as firewire did when it came out ten years ago. Look at the profusion of Thunderbolt products available for me today. Clearly the industry is rushing headlong toward Thunderbolt technology. I don't know how I missed it.

Tim

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:14:38 am

If you are running a Smoke, a 4 core Imac is woefully underpowered.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame
http://www.thereelthinginc.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:39:01 am

Thunderbolt can solve a number of problems but not every problem. In situations where you need connectivity, but not necessarily the most horsepower, you were stuck with buying a Mac Pro even if an iMac would do. That's no longer the case.

Where I used to work we had about 25 seats on an Xsan and video router and they all had to be towers for connectivity reasons even though half of them were basically capture stations. Now w/ThB the non-editing stations are either going to be replaced with iMacs or Mac Minis using ThB adapters to connect to the Xsan and video router.

I think we are on the cusp of another hardware shift. 10-12yrs ago you basically had 'big iron' machines (ex. SGI) for heavy lifting, desktops for everyday tasks and laptops for internet/email while on the go. Today I think desktops are approaching where 'big iron' computers were a decade ago, laptops are the new everyday machines, and iPads are the new laptops for internet/email while on the road.

When Apple drops the traditional tower from it's line up (and this might not be until ThB goes optical) I think they'll introduce a new vision of the desktop computer (I'm thinking something that looks more like a Mac Mini on steroids than a Mac Pro). Will it work for everyone? No. But it will work good enough for enough pros that it will help do to desktop towers what desktop towers did to 'big iron' rigs.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:12:04 pm

[Andrew Kimery] " Today I think desktops are approaching where 'big iron' computers were a decade ago,"

And where do you think "big-iron" machines are today ? Take a look at Baselight grading clusters, Flames or Smokes...

[Andrew Kimery] " No. But it will work good enough for enough pros that it will help do to desktop towers what desktop towers did to 'big iron' rigs."

Honestly, good enough ain't going to cut it round my area. People just dont have time to stare at operators waiting for renders etc

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:15:55 pm

[James Mortner] "And where do you think "big-iron" machines are today ? Take a look at Baselight grading clusters, Flames or Smokes..."

They are being used in smaller and smaller numbers than they were a decade ago. Since Blackmagic purchased DaVinci how many users do you think are running Resolve on an off-the-shelf machine vs some monster with 16 GPUs in it? Now that Smoke is on OSX I wonder how many people will use it on an everyday Mac Pro? Sure, they won't get top end performance but if they could afford the top end performance they'd probably already have Smoke running in their shop.

[James Mortner] "Honestly, good enough ain't going to cut it round my area. People just dont have time to stare at operators waiting for renders etc"

And your area, like some of my areas, is a place Apple isn't going to cater too. I'd say they never really catered to it but the tools they offered were good enough, and inexpensive enough, that a lot of people didn't see the point in paying 10x the price for the performance difference. How many people opted to configure an entire FCP editing suite for less than the price of just an Avid Adrenaline? How many people opted to grade using Color (or FinalTouch before Apple bought it), Symphony or even FCP's 3-way CC because they couldn't afford to walk into a DaVinci suite that cost 6 figures?

There will always be a high-end niche that has the money, and the clients, to get the best & fastest gear out there. But it's a small niche and an ever shrinking niche. The constant march of technology ensures that. Sure, we'll find bigger things to throw at the machines (4k for example) but the landscape now has many shades of gray where as recently as 10yrs ago it was pretty black and white. A decade ago if I wanted to capture and spit out uncompressed video I was looking for a tower and some fast, expensive storage. Today any mac with ThB can do the job for a fraction of the price.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:29:41 pm

Great points, Andrew. We live in an era of "good enough" and when competition is as heated as it is today, as well as budgets ever-tightening as they also are today, then the price-to-performance formula makes "good enough" even more attractive.

I am still one of those audio guys that loves my SACDs and HDCDs, as well as my cherished DVD-A audio discs but I am a relic in a day of MP3s whose convenience alone makes them "good enough." Even me the audio snob walks around and drives around with an old 120gig iPod with about 25,000 songs on it if I remember correctly. (It's just a part of my collection.)

Even the major studios are calcing the costs and learning where the trade-offs are acceptable to them in the price-to-performance ratio. I just had lunch the other day with some of the people from Disney and they told me that even a powerhouse operation like Disney is transitioning so rapidly that in one of their facilities they have been through 3 iterations of infrastructure in just the last few years.

The bottom line in it was that they are transitioning downward, finding out what gets the job done at the least cost.

Sounds amazingly like the tale told by most of the people in this forum, doesn't it?

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:54:20 pm

It is true that these are mad times were living in. I well remember the days of "that's just what it costs" and because options were limited that was pretty much what it cost. But these days options are seemingly limitless. As soon as someone states "you can't do that kind of work on this then some guy or gal comes along with some box that allows you to do this on that. I know I would not stake my business on the assumption that people will never accept lesser quality than they were used to in the past. If that were true people never would've abandoned LP's and there would be lines of people outside movie theaters that employ digital projection waiting to get their money back. We are indeed in transitional and transformational times. And where she stops - if indeed she ever does - nobody knows.

Tim

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:42:39 pm

The interesting thing about 'good enough' these days is how much it's different from the 'good enough' of not too long ago. This is part of the shades of gray I was referring to.

When the DVX100 was the indie camera of choice the drop off between 35mm or 16mm film and the DVX100's SD @ 24p was pretty huge. But now there are a plethora of cameras ranging from DSLRS like the 60D to prosumer cameras like ex3 to top end D-cinema cameras like the Epic & Alexa.

I have a MacBook Pro that kicks the shot of the first couple generations of Mac Pro towers and since it has ThB I can interface with fast storage (local or over fibre) and I/O devices for uncompressed workflows if I want. I'm still in the market for a new tower but a laptop purchase today is more functional than it ever has been, IMO.

I saw the video of Michael Cioni talking about the 4k workflow they did for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and I think it's amazing that their pipeline had to push 1.1gigs/sec for real time playback of the full res film. They needed some serious CPU crunching for that workflow. I also dig Stu Maschwitz showing off what amazing things can be done on a DIY budget where you have more time than money. I find both ends of the spectrum inspiring and now, more than ever, there is a place for a whole range of content and workflows.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:53:36 am

This should do it:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2d/TI-81.png/292px-TI...

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Mar 9, 2012 at 4:21:37 am

If they cancel the Mac Pro, I will probably linger on with my 2009 model for a while, and then hope I have the guts to give an HP Z820 a try.

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:49:34 pm

I believe if you play any of the Beatles tracks available on iTunes backwards, you can hear Jobs' embedded voice saying "the Mac Pro is dead". ;-)

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:41:05 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I believe if you play any of the Beatles tracks available on iTunes backwards, you can hear Jobs' embedded voice saying "the Mac Pro is dead"."

Beautiful. Thanks.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:14:13 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I believe if you play any of the Beatles tracks available on iTunes backwards, you can hear Jobs' embedded voice saying "the Mac Pro is dead". ;-)"

And if you play BB King backwards it says, "Then why haven't they killed it?"

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:51:08 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] " And if you play BB King backwards it says, "Then why haven't they killed it?""

Playing Slayer backwards it says "It's on the chopping block, but first we've got to deal with the MacBookPro"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:59:28 pm

[Christian Schumacher] "Playing Slayer backwards it says "It's on the chopping block, but first we've got to deal with the MacBookPro""

Playing Harry Nilsson backwards it says, "What is there to deal with?"

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:13:11 pm

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/02/10/apple_to_disrupt_notebook_spa...

"In particular, people familiar with Apple's roadmap say the Cupertino-based company currently plans to exit 2012 having completed a top-to-bottom revamp of its notebooks lineup that will see new MacBook Pros adopt the same design traits that have made its MacBook Airs an increasingly popular choice among mobile consumers.

This will include new, ultra-thin unibody enclosures that jettison yesteryear technologies like optical disk drives and traditional hard drives in favor of models with lightweight chassis that employ flash-memory based solid-state drives, instant-on capabilities, extended battery life, and rely on digital distribution for software and media."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2012 at 5:01:23 pm

The Air is an awesome machine. Not ideal for editing, but awesome.

If you play led zeppelin backwards they'd say, a 17" laptop without a DVD drive is fine by me.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:35:08 pm

If you play Tim Cook's keynote forward you hear him say "postPC" wayyyy too many times! Got me really scared thinking why would a company tout the term over and over and show that 76% of revenues was from "postPC" devices ever come out with more PCs? Let alone innovate really powerful ones like all us Editor's need and are hoping for?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:57:10 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "If you play Tim Cook's keynote forward you hear him say "postPC" wayyyy too many times! "

It's when he starts saying "Post Mac" you want to worry

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:02:42 pm

[Steve Connor] "[Lance Bachelder] "If you play Tim Cook's keynote forward you hear him say "postPC" wayyyy too many times! "

It's when he starts saying "Post Mac" you want to worry"

Exactly. I'm not quite sure what machine Apple expects people to develop all those wonderful apps on if they move completely post Personal Computers. You certainly can't code from an iDevice.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:22:40 pm

Post Production folks aren't the only ones needing a fast workstation. Think of all the graphic designers, photographers etc everywhere. If Apple really believes we're in a postPC world and fails to create viable workstations they're gonna force us all to switch to other brands and OS's. If you're editing world was suddenly Windows 8 you'd want a Windows phone, then a Windows pad etc. etc. This is how Apple has grown over the last decade, would be interesting to see it happen in reverse...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:28:23 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "If your editing world was suddenly Windows 8 you'd want a Windows phone, then a Windows pad, etc. etc. This is how Apple has grown over the last decade, would be interesting to see it happen in reverse..."

This is my EXACT argument that I was trying to say to those who kept asking "What's in it for Apple?" when I espoused letting HP build the high-end systems.

If I go completely to windows, trust me, an Android phone isn't far behind. (I like them and think in many ways their rig is actually nicer than the iPhone.) And I already like my Kindle Fire more (and use it more) than I like and use my iPad.

It wouldn't be hard at all to leave it all behind if they think that I live in a Post PC world.

They might. I don't.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:05:14 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "If you play Tim Cook's keynote forward you hear him say "postPC" wayyyy too many times! Got me really scared thinking why would a company tout the term over and over and show that 76% of revenues was from "postPC" devices ever come out with more PCs? Let alone innovate really powerful ones like all us Editor's need and are hoping for?"

That's what I got from it. It was somewhere after the 5th or 6th "post-PC world" that I really became aware of the weight of the statement.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:18:19 pm

Sorry I just read your postPC thread - didn't mean to start it again - but it will be interesting to see what Apple does next...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:27:24 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "it will be interesting to see what Apple does next..."

Sure will.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 9, 2012 at 11:04:42 pm

[Jeremy Garchow]"Playing Harry Nilsson backwards it says, "What is there to deal with?"

Play Nilsson forwards and he says "I can't live if living is without you". Not sure if he was referring to MacPro or FCP8 or both.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2012 at 2:09:43 am

[Michael Gissing] "Play Nilsson forwards and he says "I can't live if living is without you". Not sure if he was referring to MacPro or FCP8 or both."

I'm sure, we will all find our point after wandering through the forest.

I already have my arrow.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Mar 10, 2012 at 3:32:55 pm

You've all been putting too much "lime in the coconut" for this thread to continue!

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Mar 10, 2012 at 3:57:48 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "You've all been putting too much "lime in the coconut" for this thread to continue!"

Yes, it's time to stop in the name of love before you break my heart. Think it over...

(We'd be remiss to leave out Motown during this little musical sidebar, wouldn't we?)

;)

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2012 at 7:18:45 pm

But-

I can't help myself, I second that emotion, especially when, I heard it through the grapevine, when someone tells me to, wait a minute mr postman, and I got, nowhere to run.

Is there a motown song about comma splices?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 10, 2012 at 8:57:27 pm

I... still.. haven't found what I'm looking for.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 10, 2012 at 11:33:56 pm

"I... still.. haven't found what I'm looking for."

You too!

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Mar 11, 2012 at 6:10:31 pm

Im being proactive and researching a switch to the PC so there will be no surprises if indeed the Mac Pro line is suspended. The PC is no threat to me since Ive cut on it with MC and DS and had a Dell at home for AE many years ago. I dont relish the thought of the PITA process of crossgrading software and plugins, but the added choice of graphics cards and a system with a future will be well worth it.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved