FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workstations from a Post-PC Company

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Harlan
Workstations from a Post-PC Company
on Mar 8, 2012 at 6:33:23 pm

Two things I got from yesterday's iPad release--

1) A new iPad. The thing looks slick and I ordered it right away.

2) Tim Cook really made clear--repeatedly--that Apple is now a post-PC company. My hopes for a rocking new Mac Pro--or more than one or two final iterations of the Mac Pro line before its demise--have now pretty well diminished and gone to the West. The theory that trucks are still needed--Steve Jobs' analogy, not mine--is the last thread I cling to as I contemplate buying what might be my last Mac.

And another thing: What's with the crazy numbering/naming system for iPads? It just shouts chaos. Your current choice: "The New iPad" and the "iPad 2." I guess next year we could have "the newer iPad," with 2014 marking the arrival of "the Newest iPad." After that, maybe we'll be in the Post-iPad world, since everybody will have one, and Apple's definition of "Post-X world" seems to be based more on bodies left to sell to, rather than on actual product usage.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Workstations from a Post-PC Company
on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:18:46 pm

[Chris Harlan] "What's with the crazy numbering/naming system for iPads? It just shouts chaos."

Counterpoint.

Apple is notorious for naming products the same thing time after time. The iPhone 4 and the iPad 2 are the exceptions to this rule. Everything else has a "3rd gen" or "mid-2011" subtitle to tell it apart.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:24:33 pm

[Andrew Richards] "[Chris Harlan] "What's with the crazy numbering/naming system for iPads? It just shouts chaos."

Counterpoint.

Apple is notorious for naming products the same thing time after time. The iPhone 4 and the iPad 2 are the exceptions to this rule. Everything else has a "3rd gen" or "mid-2011" subtitle to tell it apart.
"

True. But can you ever remember them having two naming conventions on the shelf at the same time? Maybe they are just burning out stock/manufacturing agreements on the iPad 2.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:11:00 pm

I'm still trying to figure out why the current version of Avid is 6.01 when about 9 or 10 years ago I was using v11.

:)

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:14:46 pm

LOL.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:10:04 am

I am still trying to figure out why he pronounced jaguar as jagwire

rc

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:25:09 pm

I got the same thing from the constant 'post-pc' thing. Have they fallen into their old trap? Remember the day when people said you couldn't do 'real work' on a Mac? Guess what... you can't do real work on an iPad! I've tried!

As far as the naming goes, there's one of two things going on. The first may have to do with iPad's classification as a computer, not a portable device of some kind. I'm not using a MacBook Pro 7, or an iMac 8, or a Mac Pro 5. So they're dumping the numbering because now it's a computer. Numbers and names are for Gameboys, and Playstations, and cel phones. (The Mac Pros use to have letters AND numbers(!), but they got rid of that.)

The second possibility is that they want to dump the numbering for the iPad and iPhone to better match the iPod, which also doesn't have numbering. The technological advances from one model to the next, as we've seen, are getting more and more slight. There maybe something cool in there, but it takes a lot to blow our hair back.

But yeah, all the 'post-pc' talk is disconcerting.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:36:19 pm

[Bobby Mosca] "Guess what... you can't do real work on an iPad!"

Depends on the nature of the work.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:43:11 pm

Sure. Thats why we can do Uncompressed HD and broadcast HD SDI through Thunderbolt on a freakin iMac or MacBook Pro nowadays.
Because of the post pc era:p

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:47:00 pm

[Paul Jay] "Sure. Thats why we can do Uncompressed HD and broadcast HD SDI through Thunderbolt on a freakin iMac or MacBook Pro nowadays.
Because of the post pc era:p"

And your point?

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Mar 8, 2012 at 8:09:21 pm

... and if you don't like that shoe falling the other one is there will be a point where iOS revenue is 90% or higher and at that point all iMacs and Air's will ship with A10 16core or 32core cpu's running iOS and OSX will be completely dead. They switched both OS's and CPU's before and they can certainly do it again.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Mar 8, 2012 at 8:42:30 pm

It just seems that people will have to make a choice sooner or later.
Go along and dance to Apple's (i)tune or move away. The bigger Apple gets, the faster and more radical they will make their moves.
At the moment it all seems about buying time for many people. Wait till FCPX matures, one more update to bring features back and maybe tracks (won't happen), one more workstation maybe before it'll be shelved, if so, will PCIe be dropped, will ATI be dropped in favor of NVIDIA (next year, worrying that NVIDIA will be dropped again for ATI because they've been naughty boys), will Mountain Lion break FCP classic, will it break something else, will OSX eventually merge with iOS altogether, when will QT7 disappear, now that Lion killed Rossetta how can I run... and the list goes on.
And every couple of years the whole thing starts again from scratch, just with different players on the kill list.
Inovation can be nice but sometimes some constants also makes sense and for a good night's sleep.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:05:51 am

Yes, but where do you realistically go?

Mainstream computing is shearing completely away from our work model.

the iPad and the iPhone aren't a phone and a tablet; they're two iterations of a mobile touch based computing platform. the entire PC industry is running screaming after it. And for my money, I think that microsoft is incredibly confused at this point. I don't see how windows becomes our new port of call.

The idea that desktop windows explodes into metro at the start menu is a shockingly weird decision. I think that microsoft is near headless strategically at this point. Given their terrifying current experience in phones, the one thing microsoft vestigially understand is that, in order to save themselves, they have to somehow shove the magic of windows proper into the exploding market Apple have created.

But: how exactly does a $125 MS office work on appstore pricing? And how does windows work as an embedded free OS?

The idea that tablet windows is going to present me with the metro environment, and then say expose the win7 explorer ribbon of a million tiny icons and drop down menus in the same touch driven environment is, to put it simply, insane.
Microsoft has two financial pillars: the Windows OS and the Office suite.

I think we're watching Microsoft being eaten alive - slowly - but eaten alive.

reality is melting messily in all directions across "personal computing", and we are largely hosed.

the fear would be that, as a combined hardware software OS requirement, the environment of stuff like editing and post may in time, due to the vanishing protection of consumer market multipliers, become less like the example of a truck to a car even, and more like the comparison of a combine harvester to a car: it has wheels, but its guts are way, way off the bell curve; they become very isolated and specific, and accordingly expensive.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:16:49 am

Maybe it will be like the old nle days where you edited in low res and then rendered the final project. Maybe we will offline on the ipad and send the command to the workstation and all will be rendered in the right resolution then we can see it on the ipad

rc

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:05:22 am

"think we're watching Microsoft being eaten alive - slowly - but eaten alive. "

Not exactly, Microsoft's real strength is on the backend. Sure, they can deploy 20,000 desktops in your company, but that's just the tip of the spear... MOM, Sharpoint, Lync, Azure and a whole host of technologies, platforms and services you probably never heard of are what pays the bills. MS, probably does'nt care much if you bring your iDevice into the office... I think they're much more concerned with all the data, security and services needed to support those devices. Either way, Microsoft wins.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:46:11 am

[Shawn Miller] "Microsoft's real strength is on the backend. Sure, they can deploy 20,000 desktops in your company, but that's just the tip of the spear... MOM, Sharpoint, Lync, Azure and a whole host of technologies, platforms and services you probably never heard of are what pays the bills. MS, probably does'nt care much if you bring your iDevice into the office... I think they're much more concerned with all the data, security and services needed to support those devices. Either way, Microsoft wins."

You sure about that? Microsoft makes 74% of their profits from Office (Business Dvision) and Windows and only 20% from Servers.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:48:17 am

"You sure about that? Microsoft makes 74% of their profits from Office (Business Dvision) and Windows and only 20% from Servers."

Yes, I think you may be bolstering my point a bit. Sure, bring your iPhone to work... but connect to Outlook/Exchange to get your mail and do all your team collaboration on SharePoint. Office isn't just a suite of products, it's a platform for applications and services which (surprise) integrates with the Windows platform... but isn't dependent on it. It will be interesting to see in the coming years how much of Microsoft's profits shift between its Server &Tool, Business and Online Services Businesses... which are all up from last year BTW. In short, I don't believe Microsoft or Windows is in any real trouble... not from Apple anyway. Google on the other hand...

Shawn

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:06:50 am

No he means that without the current revenues streams in the low three figures from the word processing, spreadsheet end, and the low three figures revenue from the OS end, Microsoft is going to be gutted. That's my point.

As advertising is to google so Windows licensing/office retail is to MS.

Office is their largest remaining profit driver, and god, just the iPhone revenue alone is larger than all microsofts revenue per quarter. You could argue that all MS are now is a creaky historical business OS, an over complex word processor and a spreadsheet.

...Bar anything else, I had to stick the knife in. Mac OS System 7 FTW.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:29:49 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Office is their largest remaining profit driver, and god, just the iPhone revenue alone is larger than all microsofts revenue per quarter. You could argue that all MS are now is a creaky historical business OS, an over complex word processor and a spreadsheet.

...Bar anything else, I had to stick the knife in. Mac OS System 7 FTW."

Office for iOS coming soon supposedly, what does that tell you.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:17:12 pm

"No he means that without the current revenues streams in the low three figures from the word processing, spreadsheet end, and the low three figures revenue from the OS end, Microsoft is going to be gutted. That's my point."

No, I got that. I just don't share your opinion, profits may be down this quarter and iPhones may indeed be slightly cutting into Windows' marketshare. But, iDevices aren't the end of Microsoft anymore than desktop computing was the end of IBM.

"You could argue that all MS are now is a creaky historical business OS, an over complex word processor and a spreadsheet."

You could... but man, would that make you look ignorant to anyone that remotely understands the reach and scale of the company. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:26:58 pm

[Shawn Miller] " I just don't share your opinion,"

but thats not an opinion - those two products - office and windows account for 70% of microsofts revenue. Windows is about to try and be an embedded tablet OS, and Office, in some form, is going to have to bow to appstore pricing norms in order to survive.

Microsoft is about to get financially gutted you know?

And I wasn't so much saying that the iphone was putting a dent in MS marketshare - its the iPad thats doing that, or iOS really, what I meant was that the iphone alone in Apple generates more revenue than all of Microsoft. Microsoft is like a smaller, old company with a flat shareprice, a boated office suite, 2% of the mobile market, and 0% of the tablet market, a tablet market they expect to start using windows explorer, with the ribbon, with their fingers.

It's just.. funny the way things have worked out.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 9, 2012 at 11:25:03 pm

"but thats not an opinion - those two products - office and windows account for 70% of microsofts revenue."

Okay, let's say this statement is a provable fact.

"Windows is about to try and be an embedded tablet OS..."

Embedded and tablet versions of Windows have been available since before there was an iPad. The touch version of Windows was in develpment before many people knew what touch technology was. Win 8 wasn't a huge surprise in that regard.

"and Office, in some form, is going to have to bow to appstore pricing norms in order to survive."

Inexpensive versions of Office already start from about $150. How does the appstore change any of this?

"Microsoft is about to get financially gutted you know?"

I still think this is an opinion... unless you can prove otherwise. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:42:41 pm

[Shawn Miller] "It will be interesting to see in the coming years how much of Microsoft's profits shift between its Server &Tool, Business and Online Services Businesses... which are all up from last year BTW."

It could actually be a very bad sign if Server & Tools gets a larger share of MSFT's income if it is because overall income fell with a decline in their best-earning divisions, Business (which includes Office, Exchange, & SharePoint after all) and Windows. Rumors of Office for iPad have been floating around, and I think it would be very wise for Microsoft to embrace other client platforms for Office, as that is now its most significant single division in terms of revenue and profits.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:37:09 pm

"It could actually be a very bad sign if Server & Tools gets a larger share of MSFT's income if it is because overall income fell with a decline in their best-earning divisions, Business (which includes Office, Exchange, & SharePoint after all) and Windows."

I'm not sure I implied that... I'm just suggesting that it will be interesting to see how Microsoft's online, business and server/tools divisions fair in the face of this mobility revolution. But I think my main point stands... MS cares less about your device, and more about how you create and share data on that device. Further, I don't think the iPad/iPhone are the end of the desktop, at least not in the enterprise.

"Rumors of Office for iPad have been floating around, and I think it would be very wise for Microsoft to embrace other client platforms for Office, as that is now its most significant single division in terms of revenue and profits."

Microsoft has always developed Office for Mac, why would iPad/iPhone be any different?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:13:09 am

unless, I should add, Apple, the worlds most powerful corporation, born directly from the creative industries, would choose to balance an umbrella over said creative industry's head now.

By simply making a forthright public declaration of intent - any smarties; warm milk, charitable tower hardware support, a forked FC Pro to resuscitate the bread paying tens of thousands left dead by FCPX, and finally - some fresh gingerbread biscuits. literally anything. The monolith unanswerable to a state broadcaster or a sole trader is becoming unbearable given their massive shift.

It's becoming cruel.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:01:17 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "The monolith unanswerable to a state broadcaster or a sole trader is becoming unbearable given their massive shift.

It's becoming cruel.
"

O wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O post-PC world. That has such people in't!

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:32:20 pm

Granted he is the CEO, but the thing those post PC comments from Tim Cook made clear is that the ghost of Steve Jobs is providing the marketing script for the time being. Mobile is changing more dramatically than desktop and workstations in the last few years. Maybe it’s time to re-envsion what makes a workstation and workgroup devices and software. I think there are people in Apple who love that challenge.

Changes are usually incremental (evolution) and seem to take forever, but once in a while they take a generational leap (the revolution). The Mac Pro is largely a series of incremental changes from the Power Mac. But many technology improvements (such as SSD and Thunderbolt and things we know not) may mean we are on the cusp of a generational change in hardware, infrastructure, and enabling software. More than any other large player, Apple has the resources to help bring this about. It can’t just be about money. It never was just about the money for Steve. Do they have the desire? I think you would.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]