on Mar 8, 2012 at 2:26:27 am

Pilfered From the Digital Rebellion Twitter feed:

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/03/apple-configurator/

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: iOS in enterprise
on Mar 8, 2012 at 2:35:37 am

Jeremy you must be mistaken, Apple is a "consumer" company. It's only consumers that are forcing enterprise to embrace iOS devices. Apple would never do anything to facilitate that. /sarcasm off/

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:01:16 am

[Craig Seeman] "Jeremy you must be mistaken,"

Frequently. ;)

But since Apple has released an "official" Apple sanctioned app that deploys iOS content to many iPads, perhaps people might see they have an interest?

Or maybe this? http://www.apple.com/business/accelerator/

My mistake, again?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 8, 2012 at 5:35:10 am

And yet we hear like a mantra "Apple is a consumer company."
It's as if the only way into the business market is the desktop, the workstation, the server. Apple found another way. We can see which products are growing rapidly . . . in the business market.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 8, 2012 at 4:20:48 pm

This is interesting.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 8, 2012 at 4:35:55 pm

[Andrew Richards] "This is interesting."

Yes.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 8, 2012 at 5:52:52 pm

Apple's growth in enterprise includes MBP and iMacs.
I think some people here give short shrift of Apple's interest and growth in enterprise simply because it's not MacPros or servers.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 8, 2012 at 8:11:57 pm

From the article Andrew Richards linked to.

He attributed Apple's recent high corporate sales growth rate to what he called "clandestine" acquisitions of Macs by higher-level employees -- who are sometimes reimbursed by their firms -- iPad purchases by IT departments and small businesses buying computers and tablets for both personal and business use.

"The Apple assault on the corporate market has so far taken place without much formal Apple support, and probably without Apple itself understanding its full extent," Bartels said.

The growth numbers are huge, but at this point I'm not totally surprised. What is interesting, and I've said this before, is that Apple didn't try to woo corporate America away from RIM by making a better Blackberry. Apple made a product that people just enjoy using more than their Blackberry, even if it lacked some of BB's key selling points, and so the users went to Apple in droves (as opposed to Apple trying to go to the users).

Now that Apple has a 'critical mass' users base they'll do a little to cater to it, but I don't think they'll ever go as 'deep' as RIM was just like Apple doesn't seem to have a desire to go 'deep' into the entertainment industry(buying & killing Shake, Color, etc.,). I don't think Apple is much interested in catering to small-niche, demanding / high maintenance users.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:13:50 pm

Andrew,

Craig posted that article a while back and it was discussed.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/24243#24246

It would be interesting if it were true, I suppose; but it's just someone making up numbers.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/24246

A lot of speculation masquerades as "analysis".

Franz.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:54:05 pm

Didn't realize it was already discussed. I guess that's what I get for not coming here every day. ;)

Anecdotal I know, but I've seen similar things so I guess I'm inclined to believe the author. Something I said in another thread, was that a friend of mine works with IT of a large insurance company they are having to find ways to support iPhones and iPads basically out of necessity because so many of their employees want to use these personal devices for work. They don't want to carry around a work-issued BB (or laptop) and an personal iPhone (or iPad) they just want to use their personal device for everything because that is the device they enjoy using most. I've seen the same thing happen at other large companies I've worked for where people are pushing back against having a work issued BB because they prefer using Apple's devices.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:16:12 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Anecdotal I know, but I've seen similar things so I guess I'm inclined to believe the author."

... and so it usually is with anecdotes.

This "analyst" was quoted a lot around the time of this article. I did do a bit of searching but couldn't find anything to support the notion that he does good research - I would be interested, though, if you find something.

I do wonder what Andrew Richards and Jeremy Garchow find interesting about this sort of speculation; it might just be another case of "interesting, if true".

[Andrew Kimery] "... so many of their employees want to use these personal devices for work."

Sure. But isn't that logical slight of hand? The title of the article is "Apple enterprise sales of Macs, iPads to jump 58% this year" so are we talking about enterprise sales or a shift in IT to personal devices?

Franz.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:53:45 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I do wonder what Andrew Richards and Jeremy Garchow find interesting about this sort of speculation; it might just be another case of "interesting, if true"."

I think everyone is really nervous about the "Death of the Mac". Some are saying don't put it in the ground quite yet.

It is evidence like this the points to it being alive and well. Big enterprise companies spend money and lots of it, on IT. If people are demanding macs to run their enterprise businesses, then I would imagine that Apple would deliver. Then there's new management at Apple, which may (or may not) be interested in the enterprise space. There's an Apple business division.

Until the Mac is no longer sold, or Apple announces it's denouement, then it is still business as usual.

I know for a fact that companies are buying iPads in huge quantities, you can choose to believe me or not.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:03:51 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It is evidence like this ..."

Jeremy,

Your statement implies that you find "evidence" in that linked article.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:14:32 pm

I guess I am confused on what you're questioning. What evidence would you need?

There's an article that Apple has made an App that controls 30 iPads at a time.

The description of the applications says: “Apple Configurator makes it easy for anyone to mass configure and deploy iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch in a school, business, or institution."

This app was not mentioned at a (markedly consumer) "iPad convention" that happened a couple of days ago.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator/id434433123?mt=12

There's a site dedicated to iPad enterprise support that is linked from that application: http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/enterprise/

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:36:23 pm

Jeremy,

Well, I think we are in a confused discussion now. (No doubt, my fault).

It's clear that idevices are being sold in astonishing numbers and that some are being used in corporate settings. Further, apple seems to be making some moves to accommodate those who need to set-up multiple devices (as you've linked). It's also clear that mac sales are growing.

Andrew Richards posted this link (which had been discussed before as I pointed out):
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9223318/Apple_enterprise_sales_of_Ma...

Craig Seeman says "Apple's growth in enterprise includes MBP and iMacs."

Andrew Kimery says "The growth numbers are huge ..."

Now, I don't know - Apple may be doing crazy numbers in enterprise. But they aren't saying, and we don't have any good information on that. I'm vaguely interested insofar as it may influence their decisions in my particular area of concern. And so I am interested in evidence. Speculation is interesting too, mind you, as long as it's acknowledge we're talking about made-up numbers.

I think people come to these forums for information (I certainly do), so some fact-checking benefits us all.

But lastly - I'm not sure that discussions about iOS devices really argue against "death of the mac" speculation (though I'd be interested to hear that argument) (or maybe I've misunderstood your statement above).

Franz.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:58:17 pm

I see, you are asking for the evidence of Macs in enterprise and not necessarily iDevices.

Well, with iDevices, come Macs. You need them to write the apps that the enterprise entities deploy, and the Configurator is downloaded from the MacApp store.

[Franz Bieberkopf] "But they aren't saying, and we don't have any good information on that."

They never say. We might never know. All we know is that Macs are still selling, as well as iDevices, at least according to Apple. Whether or not this is in the consumer space, or the Enterprise space (or both) we probably won't get the breakdown. I know of companies (Three major ones) that have signed up for 4,000+ iPads. How many Macs would you say you would need to support that at how many locations? Sure, it's probably a decently low percentage, but it's still more Macs than used to be in enterprise. And when people have a choice in laptops to use instead of the company giving them a laptop, some of those people are choosing macs (I only have anecdotal evidence of that too, but then there's stories like this: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/18/ge_exec_says_employee_iphones... )

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:08:39 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "All we know is that Macs are still selling, as well as iDevices, at least according to Apple."

Yes. This is precisely my point.

[Jeremy Garchow] " I know of companies (Three major ones) that have signed up for 4,000+ iPads."

This is interesting information to me - I'd like to know more. This says more than a lot of bluster and speculation. Why bury it deep in the thread?

Franz.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:13:33 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "This is interesting information to me - I'd like to know more. This says more than a lot of bluster and speculation. Why bury it deep in the thread?"

It's not information that is readily available on the internets, so it's anecdotal, and not what you're looking for. I am sure a generic Google search will probably give you more evidence if you seek it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:25:08 pm

Jeremy,

There's interesting discussion on ars (in the comments) - surprised no one else linked it.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/03/it-staff-can-now-manage-ipads-iph...

Franz.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]