FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nothing New for us from Apple Today

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Kelly
Nothing New for us from Apple Today
on Mar 8, 2012 at 1:27:48 am

While there was much to celebrate in the consumer electronics area from Apple today, once again, no new towers.

They have the new intel chips available, but still no announcement. New iMovie for iPad, and a great new camera built in. Nothing for pro editors.

I'm still glad I made my move in September to a PC and CS5.5. I can't wait for CS6 in about a month or so.

Craig, ready to say Uncle?

DBK

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Nothing New for us from Apple Today
on Mar 8, 2012 at 1:37:15 am

So at the iPad press event they didn't launch new Macs? And this is surprising to who now?

Macs don't get press events anymore. Not the MacBook Air, not the MacBook Pro, not the iMac, not the Mac mini, and not the Mac Pro. When the new Mac Pro launches, it will just show up on Apple's site some morning. I'd be surprised if it even gets a press release.

The days of Macs being presented on stage have been over for years.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Mar 8, 2012 at 1:41:16 am

With no update in nearly 2 years, it could have been announced -SHOULD HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED.

They are out of the Pro market. They made their money, and now produce gadgets for well heeled consumers.

So Sad.

D

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 8, 2012 at 2:52:28 am

[Darren Kelly] "With no update in nearly 2 years, it could have been announced -SHOULD HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED."

Have you been paying attention? There was nothing to update! Intel took this long to produce a new dual-CPU Xeon. What should Apple have built in the meantime? A single proc tower? Then everyone would be bitching about how they abandoned pros who need dual proc towers.

When there are other E5 Xeon towers shipping and Apple hasn't released a new Mac Pro, then we can call it dead. The E5 Xeons were only announced yesterday.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:12:02 am

If there is to be a new MacPro with the E5 chips, they won't announce until they're ready.

HP says the z820 is "expected" to ship in April: http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/workstations/z820_features.html#....

The iPad announced today ships next week.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 8, 2012 at 4:07:47 pm

Well, since Thunderbolt was and is the future, I've been waiting for them to ADD it to the towers so I could buy one. I don't even care much about the chips. Any bump in speed from my 2006 MacPro 1,1 would be welcome. But I'm not buying a MacPro without esata and thunderbolt. It's not the processors, it's the whole package.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 8, 2012 at 4:14:13 pm

[Bret Williams] "Well, since Thunderbolt was and is the future, I've been waiting for them to ADD it to the towers so I could buy one."

Thunderbolt is the future of I/O for space-constrained devices. PCIe is vastly more powerful though, and if a new Mac Pro totally eschews PCIe in favor of the much slower Thunderbolt for I/O, it will be bitterly disappointing.

[Bret Williams] "I'm not buying a MacPro without esata and thunderbolt. It's not the processors, it's the whole package."

I wouldn't be surprised to see Thunderbolt on a Mac Pro (hopefully not in place of PCIe slots), but I'd be shocked to see built-in eSATA. Apple's had that available to build in for almost a decade and they never have.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 8, 2012 at 4:16:01 pm

[Andrew Richards] "but I'd be shocked to see built-in eSATA. Apple's had that available to build in for almost a decade and they never have."

It's not convenient enough as it requires separate power.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 8, 2012 at 8:39:08 am

[Darren Kelly] "With no update in nearly 2 years, it could have been announced -SHOULD HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED.

They are out of the Pro market. They made their money, and now produce gadgets for well heeled consumers.

So Sad."

They would not announce at an IPad event, If HP aren't announcing availability until April then Apple may not announce any updated MacPro in advance of it being able to ship.

If we get into April and there's still no announcement then that's probably it for the Mac Pro. However I don't believe that will happen.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 8, 2012 at 6:02:11 pm

[Darren Kelly] "They are out of the Pro market."

Not at all from what I'm seeing and hearing. "Pro" goes far beyond broadcast and feature film. Corporate, business, enterprise are "Pro" markets and there's big growth there for Apple and many of those businesses produce lots of media, very little of it for broadcast.

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Mar 8, 2012 at 6:33:41 pm

You stay with it Craig. You can't buy a MacPro, and Intel has announced the new generation of chips available for April delivery, so In my opinion if Apple was still in the Pro computer game, they would have used this opportunity, where all the press were watching.

Yes, I know there is more to the pro market than broadcast and film.

Those video guys still need and use pro products.

Craig, it's almost a year since FCPX. Even HDNet dropped FCP this week and went to Premiere.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 8, 2012 at 6:46:32 pm

[Darren Kelly] "You stay with it Craig. You can't buy a MacPro, and Intel has announced the new generation of chips available for April delivery, so In my opinion if Apple was still in the Pro computer game, they would have used this opportunity, where all the press were watching.
"

I know you're really keen to press your point, but as far as I'm aware Apple still sell Mac Pros and your opinion about the announcement, based on evidence from all recent Apple launches is wrong, they no longer cut across product lines on launches.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:30:21 am

Yeah but don't you miss those brilliant Steve Jobs presentations? We always waited 'til the end when he'd say "oh, and there's one more thing to show you ..." and we'd see some cool new workstation or laptop or whatever. Loved those annual multi-product presentations...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 8, 2012 at 1:58:51 pm

I was expecting “one more thing” at the iPad event since the media teaser had indicated something special “to touch.” Seemed like they might be adding haptic capabilities to the screen but I was reading too much into their cryptic event invitation. Perhaps, the presentation delivery of surprises introduced as “one more thing” has also moved on with the passing of Steve Jobs.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 8, 2012 at 4:13:10 pm

The invitation was so utterly "un-cryptic" that people thought it was cryptic. Genius. A shot of the product they're going to introduce and a statement that you need to see and touch it. I think it was almost an inside joke.

The leaks were plentiful too. Everything but the haptic display and siri. But I'll bet siri is coming. They have the dictation. Seems like they could just flip a switch. My guess is it was a decision to keep it to the phone so you have a reason to upgrade your phone, for siri AND a reason to upgrade your iPad for retina.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:25:47 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Yeah but don't you miss those brilliant Steve Jobs presentations? We always waited 'til the end when he'd say "oh, and there's one more thing to show you ..." and we'd see some cool new workstation or laptop or whatever. Loved those annual multi-product presentations..."

Absolutely! Macworld, WWDC, NAB. Loved it. We may never see "one more thing" again now that Steve is gone.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 8, 2012 at 6:00:20 pm

[Darren Kelly] "Craig, ready to say Uncle?"

Nope. As Apple indicated, 2012 is going to be a big year for them. If it's all simple iPhone and iPad updates it wouldn't be much different than the last couple of years.

Apple is about ecosystems and their move into content distribution means an "awareness" of content creation as well.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:14:05 pm

"2012 is going to be a big year for them"

Probably, profit-wise. But we know beyond a shadow of a doubt where that comes from.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:14:43 pm

[Joseph Owens] "Probably, profit-wise. But we know beyond a shadow of a doubt where that comes from."

It's all those displayport to DVI adapters they sell, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]