FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring: Sony OLED

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
Monitoring: Sony OLED
on Mar 7, 2012 at 3:21:51 am

Excellent article (with historical perspective) on Sony OLED technology, including rather unselfconscious use of the word "professional", and omission of "niche market" qualifiers.

Art Adams at PVC:
http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/aadams/story/sony_the_non-technical_...

"During a recent demonstration at a Sony lab I was shown a digitally-created image in both the Rec 709 and P3 Cinema color spaces displayed on a PVM-grade OLED display. The Rec 709 image looked nearly black-and-white by comparison to the P3 image, which was simply dazzling. OLED displays are the first displays to display these large color spaces accurately."

"…they aren’t designed to be pretty (although they are) but are instead designed to reveal everything about an image, good and bad. Only the best monitors can be relied on consistently to reveal the tiniest flaws, and that’s what broadcast engineers require to ply their trade."

It's a bit gushing, so I'd be interested in any perspective (Walter?).

Franz.

Return to posts index

James Mortner
Re: Monitoring: Sony OLED
on Mar 7, 2012 at 9:45:18 am

Seems very interesting, although I noticed the two footballers showing motion blur dont seem to have the same "washed out vs. true black" effect on them.

Makes me a little sceptical but I need to see this for myself

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Mar 7, 2012 at 4:08:57 pm

I saw the PVM and BVM (E and F) at a get-together two weeks back here in Sweden and the monitors are quite stunning. Not only do they hold extreme color fidelity and deep blacks, they are similar to CRTs in terms of refresh-rate (i.e minimal ghosting). To counter flicker the BVM-series shows each frame 3 times if doing 24 / 25p work hence you run at a more eye-friendly 72 / 75 Hz.

But, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts about these babies.

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:32:40 pm

I saw the demo at NAB last year, and it was a jaw dropper. They had an OLED, a CRT, and and LCD in a completely black room, all calibrated, playing the same demo reel.

After the color bars (to show they weren't cheating), the first image that played on the was the white sony logo on black, and I swear to God, the OLED looked like it was floating in space, not even on a screen the blacks were so black. You couldn't even make out the size of the black screen or frame or anything. Reminded me of Spinal Tap- "How much more black could it be? None. None more black."

The rest of the demo was just as impressive as this review makes it sound, but that title card on black literally took my breath away.

Boy, that's super-geeky, eh?

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Mar 8, 2012 at 12:32:35 am

According to Sony the OLED's old deeper blacks than CRT's so what can one say… Yum Yum? :)

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:13:11 am

[David Jahns] "The rest of the demo was just as impressive as this review makes it sound, but that title card on black literally took my breath away.

Boy, that's super-geeky, eh?"

Its ok , you're amongst friends here ! I can't wait to see it in person

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]