FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feature Request?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Walker
Feature Request?
on Mar 5, 2012 at 1:16:55 pm

Where on the Apple website does one report FCP X bugs or request features? I searched for it and came up empty.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Feature Request?
on Mar 5, 2012 at 1:19:00 pm

From the file menu inside fcpx.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Mar 5, 2012 at 1:20:47 pm

Thanks Jason,
I had no idea that it was built into the program.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 5, 2012 at 3:38:55 pm

And "they" say Apple doesn't listen.
While they may not respond, it's built in to the program so you can send them feedback while you're working, while things are still fresh in your mind.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 5, 2012 at 6:06:45 pm

Apple does listen, but often their solutions are wrong...and make one scratch ones head. I told them that clip collision was the bane of my existence. That I wanted it to be like Avid, when I move audio over using the keyboard, I WANT IT to overwrite the audio I am bumping into. That is my PLAN...that's why I am moving it that way.

And what do they do? Magnetic timeline. Move the audio out of the way, yet KEEP it. Sheesh, now I have to do this in a TWO step process...move, then trim.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 5, 2012 at 6:25:01 pm

Letter P let's you do that

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 5, 2012 at 6:50:18 pm

But Richard, understanding how the Position tool works, makes one less thing folks can come onto this board and still kvetch about six months into X's existence.

And where's the fun in that!

You'd think that by now, as affordable as it is, everyone truly interested in it would have explored it thoroughly and understand pretty much how it works, but I think there are a lot of editors out there who've tried it a bit, found things that frustrated them, then simply put it away and stopped looking at it.

Shane, btw, is rarely one of them - he gets prickly, but he's also proved that he's still exploring the software - but like all of us, he does that in context of what he needs to do - and sometimes that means that he simply hasn't explored one particular pathway in the context of his regular work.

That plagues me as well. Try as I might, I haven't had the time (nor a project) that would let me explore Roles yet. I'm bound and determined to look there - but circumstances have kept me busy and none of my now dozen plus projects have required me to open up that part of the software.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 5, 2012 at 7:00:52 pm

Funny you should bring up roles. I'm doing that today. Client comes in at 3:15.

each scene is its own Compound Clip. The VO, Music, and FX will be roles in the main project and then primaried.

Hope it works. Thanks for wishing me luck, in advance.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 6, 2012 at 8:34:07 pm

[Richard Herd] "Thanks for wishing me luck, in advance."

SHUDDER. I wish you double broken legs to deal with the way you just cursed yourself.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 6, 2012 at 10:40:43 pm

The problem turns out to be a simple fix: Apple needs to color code roles, or better yet: let the editor decide the color code.

RED for VO
BLUE for MUSIC

and so on.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 6, 2012 at 10:45:29 pm

There's no simple fix for wishing yourself luck in showbiz. Thou art doomed.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 6, 2012 at 10:49:46 pm

I don't think its luck.

It's who you know ;)

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 5, 2012 at 7:02:58 pm

Honestly, one of the biggest things I have a hard time with is the nomenclature "projects" - is it a bird, a plane, or a sequence? Wait, it's a PROJECT!??

Nothing was wrong with that name. Projects contained sequences...projects live in "project folders" of multiple "clients" now I have projects inside projects...it's confusing. Maybe I'll get used to it, but that's been my struggle in getting into it.

I rather like the magnetic timeline, there are possibilities I see there that are very interesting to me as I continue to use it. Not the end all, be all...but a step in an interesting direction at least.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 5, 2012 at 9:10:46 pm

Yeah, I do that with all the software I try. I check and see if it does what I need. I think ALL editors need to do that. People complain that Avid is bad for this, horrid for that...and oh my god it can't do this! And I agree, it can't do a lot of what many people want, so I say "nope, it doesn't do that, so try this other NLE, it does that, and does it well." Heck, I've even recommended FCX to many people because it does what they want.

That's how EVERYONE should approach software...does it do what I need? Obviously FCX is HUGE for Bill, as it does what he needs. And he finds that he gets it...he understands how it works. And has figured out a lot of cool workflows for doing what he wants.

Guess I'm still just stung by the fact that FCP 7 did so much that we needed, and FCX completely jumped ship. Well, with the 1.0 release. The 1.0.3 release would have been easier to swallow, because of the feature set. But the complete change of approach to editing is what kills it for me.

Couldn't help that little jab at "clip collision." This "P" option, was this in the first version, or a later update? And does this allow you to move a clip on the timeline via keyboard commands, and overwrite the audio you are nudging it over? That's what I wanted.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 5, 2012 at 9:20:12 pm

Letter D (and Shift-D) is what you're looking for, if I understand your issue.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 6, 2012 at 9:57:12 am

[Shane Ross] "Yeah, I do that with all the software I try. I check and see if it does what I need. I think ALL editors need to do that. People complain that Avid is bad for this, horrid for that...and oh my god it can't do this! And I agree, it can't do a lot of what many people want, so I say "nope, it doesn't do that, so try this other NLE, it does that, and does it well." Heck, I've even recommended FCX to many people because it does what they want.

That's how EVERYONE should approach software...does it do what I need? Obviously FCX is HUGE for Bill, as it does what he needs. And he finds that he gets it...he understands how it works. And has figured out a lot of cool workflows for doing what he wants. "

Amen to that.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

João Manuel Tocha
on Mar 5, 2012 at 10:47:20 pm

!!!!!! SO SHANE, IT'S YOUR FAULT THAT WE HAVE MAGNETIC TIMELINE!!!!!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 5, 2012 at 1:19:42 pm

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]