FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX to XML w/multicam edits

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Bravo
FCPX to XML w/multicam edits
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:13:02 pm

So I am exporting XML's to load into Resolve and the edits that are contained in the multi-cam clips aren't being read by Resolve because I get a "don't read 'Audition' edits" error, which kind of makes sense because it seems that the new multi-cam is really just "audition" on steroids. My question has two parts:

a: is there any way to include the multi-cam in the xml by doing something of which I am unaware?

2: is there any way you can "commit" to the multi-cam edits the way you can with "auditions"? because aside from this xml issue, it would be really great to "lift" the used media out of the multi-cam clip and treat it with the original linking

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCPX to XML w/multicam edits
on Feb 28, 2012 at 3:51:12 pm

[Chris Bravo] "a: is there any way to include the multi-cam in the xml by doing something of which I am unaware"

Good question. From what I can tell, there is no "collapse" like there was for multicam in FCP7. The truth is that multiclips were always a problem in FCP7/Color roundtrips. You frequently had to match frame EVERY camera cut and replace it with source media before sending to Color. You might see if the same thing works with X. That would be a real PITA, unfortunately.

[Chris Bravo] "it would be really great to "lift" the used media out of the multi-cam clip and treat it with the original linking"

I'm not in front of X at the moment, but can you lift the clip out of the storyline and create a secondary story line or does this still stay as a multiclip?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2012 at 3:53:27 pm

PS: The worst case fix, would be to see if Xto7 can deal with it. If so, go into FCP7 and generate an EDL. Then connect the EDL to the media in Resolve. Just a thought.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Chris Bravo
on Mar 3, 2012 at 5:19:20 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try the Xto7 if I get desperate. For now, I am exporting a prores and using Resolve's scene detect to cut it up, which works well, as long as you are sitting on a pretty decent picture lock...

Your suggestion to use FCP7 to scrub the "bad" parameters off the xml got me thinking, so I opened up the xml directly in Dashcode just to see what it looked like and was surprised to get this:

in the resources list:
<media id="r3" name="BOAC_performance" uid="Htjxbg9wREm3H29rVH7b+Q" projectRef="r2"/>

and this in the string-out section:

<mc-clip offset="8648640000/2400000s" ref="r3" name="BOAC_performance" duration="97297200/2400000s" start="4764039280/2400000s" audioAngleID="Upyx4xb1To+JD+YLa7xwSg" videoAngleID="wDH5j0YMS3eB9YNd3NcPhA">
<keyword start="0s" duration="167388221/30000s" value="boac_performance"/>

remarkably, to me at least (not any sort of programmer), there is no reference to the actual media file (MVI_XXXX.mov) but only to the name of the multi-cam clip in FCPX (BOAC_performance) and a videoAngleID. Which sort of raises more questions like: how is it even possible to use the XML, as a stand-alone document, to link back to the original footage at all?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 3, 2012 at 11:15:39 pm

[Chris Bravo] "Your suggestion to use FCP7 to scrub the "bad" parameters off the xml got me thinking"

I'm not sure that's what I said. I suggested either replacing clips with source media (eliminating the multi clip) or to use an EDL, which would use TC and reel numbers.

[Chris Bravo] "how is it even possible to use the XML, as a stand-alone document, to link back to the original footage at all"

XML do not expose all the information in the project. That's why Color has problems with multi clips and FCP 7.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]