FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thoughts on the update

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Thoughts on the update
on Feb 27, 2012 at 2:59:22 pm

FWIW - my thoughts on the 10.0.3 update.

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/the-fcp-x-update/

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
Re: Thoughts on the update
on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:42:48 pm

Great article - thanks Oliver.

What I like is your sense of perspective that must come from both your knowledge of other NLEs and your experience as an editor.

You mention that you feel the latest 10.0.3 update is probably very close to what Apple originally intended to release last Summer.

Well imagine if this had been the release and that they had also kept Final Cut Studio alive and kicking for a couple of years whilst this version grew up a bit.

It would have had a very different reception.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 27, 2012 at 4:04:55 pm

[Mark Dobson] "What I like is your sense of perspective that must come from both your knowledge of other NLEs and your experience as an editor."

Thanks. Although I may argue more vehemently here in one direction or another, I do try to take a step back and think through it with some perspective when I write my articles and blog posts.

[Mark Dobson] "Well imagine if this had been the release and that they had also kept Final Cut Studio alive and kicking for a couple of years whilst this version grew up a bit."

I completely agree. I don't buy for a minute the argument that multicam, for example, was somehow added between the launch and the start of this year, simply in response to customer requests. Some features simply weren't ready in time. There may be other tools added. For example, the track-based picture icon that's been floating around and is still in the Package Contents is a real conundrum. I firmly believe we are just now coming out of a period with the product that would otherwise still be considered an alpha or beta phase with any other product or company. At $299 you paid to be a beta tester. ;-)

Clearly Apple chose a "cut the cord" approach to launching the product and a lot of the negative reaction has been a result. Furthermore, a lot of the press articles surrounding X have done little more than recap Apple's PR on the product, instead of critically analyzing the pros and cons. When people run into the holes in the product and find out that not all is rosy, the response is a let down.

In short, a more honest presentation of the product, a clearer roadmap of where the product is going and who it was designed for, and a more graceful transition would have done wonders to help their cause.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Alex Gollner
on Feb 27, 2012 at 4:22:11 pm

I haven't read all the posts on the debate forum (I read the Techniques forum instead), so I don't know what the received wisdom is...

...but I assume the way FCP X was launched wasn't much to do with the team creating it.

1. Final Cut Pro 7 was EOLed probably to force the hardware part of the FCP ecosystem to produce non-QuickTime versions of their drivers and products.

2. Final Cut Pro X may have been released too early to test Mac OS X Lion's 'Mac App Store distribution only' policy. Given that tens of thousands of people downloaded Final Cut Pro X and a significant fraction downloaded Motion with few problems, that might have eased the path for Lion a few weeks later.

The preceding does mean I think these were good reasons, but they are explanations for odd decisions.

Alex

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com & .com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:43:50 pm

[Alex Gollner] "1. Final Cut Pro 7 was EOLed probably to force the hardware part of the FCP ecosystem to produce non-QuickTime versions of their drivers and products. "

Doesn't this assume that FCPX would be strong motivator? Apparently it was though but isn't it possible they would have just abandoned altogether just as many abandoned FCP7?

Apple has always had long transition periods whether the move from OS9 to OSX or PPC to Intel.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:45:52 am

[Oliver Peters] "For example, the track-based picture icon that's been floating around and is still in the Package Contents is a real conundrum."

I still wonder about this as well. The fact that it's still in there is strange. I figure it's one of two things:

a) a forgotten relic from an abandoned development path. FCPX's vestigial tail.

b) a hint of things to come.

My money's on a)

Another great article, Oliver. Looking forward to your next ones.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:57:28 am

[David Lawrence] "I still wonder about this as well. The fact that it's still in there is strange. I figure it's one of two things:

a) a forgotten relic from an abandoned development path. "

Its bizarre, but this is actually what I think of, when I think of that icon:

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:28:54 pm

"Multicam is nicely implemented for picture, but until the audio side is fixed, it’s unusable for some projects, like reality TV shows."

... and cooking shows, at least the way I work. Which means X is definitively out of the running for me. Thanks for the review Oliver, saved me a lot of testing time. Now the big wait is for Adobe's next move.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:03:27 am

Nice work, Oliver.

Is that Papyrus? ;)

http://digitalfilms.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/df_fcpx_feb12_6.jpg

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:05:53 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Is that Papyrus? ;)"

You mean the font? Not sure. Just something on the system. Thanks for the comments. I'll have a series of FCPX-related posts in the next several weeks. Most of them positive, believe it or not ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:16:14 am

[Oliver Peters] "Most of them positive, believe it or not ;-)"

Look out, Cleveland!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:43:25 am

Good and fair article. I look forward to reading more.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2012 at 12:49:10 pm

Thanks for the comments. I'll focus on the GUI design and plug-ins in the new posts.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:56:35 pm

Just a small footnote to your excellent article.

I've tried out various tests to see what the state of play actually is with importing layered PSDs and some of my conclusions can be found here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/8774

There are some glaring issues, it seems to me, most notably with adding and deleting layers and with transforms - just for starters. (Running all the possible tests would take far more time than I am prepared to devote to it at this point, but I think it's clear that the issues are real and pretty fundamental.)

At the moment, I would say the best advice is to flatten all your layers if you don't want unwelcome surprises. Which is as much as saying this feature doesn't actually work - yet.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]